Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Review of "Just Like Sugar"

Just bought a bottle of this. Wanted to see what other's experiences were with it and any negative or positive qualities or medical effects, if known, and/or any references or links to for more information.

Serving Size. 1/2 Tsp (.5g)
0 Calories
0 Fat
0 Carbs
0 Protein

INGREDIENTS: Chicory Root Dietary Fiber, Calcium Vitamin C, Natural Flavors from the peel of the Orange.

*** I am aware of the low serving size trick allowing companies to claim zeros when less than 5 calories or less than 1 full gram of something...although it looks like the only thing in here is fiber anyway.

Taste? I haven't tried it yet, so I am sure it will be horrible, b/c otherwise this stuff seems to good to be true, so I was hoping someonce could point out ANY flaws.

Thanks for your time!
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

CHICORY ROOT

History:

Around 1970 it was found that the root contains up to 20% inulin, a polysaccharide similar to starch. Inulin is mainly found in the plant family Asteraceae as a storage carbohydrate (for example Jerusalem artichoke, dahlia, etc.). It is used as a sweetener in the food industry with a sweetening power 1⁄10 that of sucrose[9] and is sometimes added to yogurts as a prebiotic. Inulin can be converted to fructose and glucose through hydrolysis. Inulin is also gaining popularity as a source of soluble dietary fiber and functional food.[10]

Chicory root extract is a dietary supplement or food additive produced by mixing dried, ground, chicory root with water, and removing the insoluble fraction by filtration and centrifugation. Other methods may be used to remove pigments and sugars. Fresh chicory root typically contains, by dry weight, 68% inulin, 14% sucrose, 5% cellulose, 6% protein, 4% ash, and 3% other compounds. Dried chicory root extract contains, by weight, approximately 98% inulin and 2% other compounds.[11] Fresh chicory root may contain between 13 and 23% inulin, by total weight.[12]

Medical Use:

Chicory is well known for its toxicity to internal parasites. Studies indicate that ingestion of chicory by farm animals results in reduction of worm burdens,[15][16][17] which has prompted its widespread use as a forage supplement. Only a few major companies are active in research, development, and production of chicory varieties and selections, most in New Zealand.

Chicory (especially the flower) was used as a treatment in Germany, and is recorded in many books as an ancient German treatment for everyday ailments. It is variously used as a tonic and as a treatment for gallstones, gastro-enteritis, sinus problems and cuts and bruises. (Howard M. 1987). Inulin, the dietary fiber found in Chicory, finds application in diabetes and constipation.

Last edited by Taxbane; 04-07-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

So far so good.

I added 3 tsp (1 TBSP) to back coffe. It is not very sweet, but 1 TBSP seems to be enough to make the black coffee drinkable.

Also, then added (2 TBSP) of half and half, and the coffe tastes great.

I think it tastes better than Stevia. It dosn't have that chemically odd taste.

Its texture seems a little less granular than regular sugar or Truvia, and mixed in pretty easily with the coffee.

So far I will definitely be adding this as a regular staple to my household, barring I don't find anything negative out about this or chicory root.

Also a Non-medical Herbal Website says:

Beneficial Uses:
Chicory Root is considered a fine liver, gallbladder and spleen tonic. The herb is called a "cholagogue" or substance that promotes the production of bile and stimulates its flow from the gallbladder and bile ducts, and as such, is said to help purify blood and cleanse the liver and gallbladder, which helps to release and dissolve gallstones, expel excess internal mucus and treat liver complaints, such as jaundice and enlarged liver.

The bitter principle in Chicory Root is believed to be beneficial for the glandular organs of the digestive system. Acting as an herbal antacid, the root is said to neutralize acid and correct acid indigestion, heartburn, gastritis, vomiting, upset stomach and lack of appetite; and Chicory Root has been approved by the German Commission E as an appetite stimulant and a remedy for dyspepsia. Because it stimulates bile production, this action helps to speed up the digestive process, further aiding the stomach after eating too much rich food (a use very popular in France).

Chicory Root may be helpful in the area of good heart health. Recent studies have produced some very positive evidence that Chicory Root fights fat in the system. Those with a very high fat diet experienced a remarkable decrease in blood cholesterol levels in time after taking Chicory Root, which may prove very helpful in cases of hardening of the arteries. Moreover, Egyptian scientists have investigated the potential use of Chicory Root in treating tachycardia (rapid heartbeat). Their studies showed the presence of a digitalis-like principle in the root, which actually decreased the rate of heartbeat in laboratory animals. Hopefully, this will have a beneficial impact on human health.

Chicory Root has been used as a tonic that nourishes and strengthens kidney function and urinary organs. The herb has a diuretic action that increases and promotes the flow of urine, which helps to improve kidney function by cleansing the kidneys of toxins and removing them from the body. It has been used to expel gravel, calcium deposits, and excess uric acid from the body, which helps to prevent gout and kidney stones.

As a mild laxative, Chicory Root is good for expelling morbid matter from the intestines, further purifying the system of waste and toxins and often helping in cases of constipation.

Used externally, Chicory Root is believed to have healing properties for skin lacerations, swellings, hemorrhoids, poison ivy and sunburn. In addition, it has been used in poultices to reduce the inflammation of rheumatism and the pain of stiff and sore joints.

Contraindications:
Pregnant and nursing women should not use Chicory Root Herbal Supplement. Those who suffer from allergies to members of the daisy (Compositae) family (ragweed, asters, sunflowers, etc.) should consult a doctor before using this product.

Last edited by Taxbane; 04-07-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Old 04-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I bought some and tossed it out. To me it didn't have any flavor. I asked another person what they thought, and they said, "It doesn't tast like anything at all."
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: canadianwoman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I bought some and tossed it out. To me it didn't have any flavor. I asked another person what they thought, and they said, "It doesn't tast like anything at all."
Maybe not tasting like anything at all is the point if you are putting it in coffee or tea.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwoman View Post
Maybe not tasting like anything at all is the point if you are putting it in coffee or tea.
What would be the point of putting it in coffee or tea if there is no sweet taste? Then you might as well drink coffee and tea plain.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

LOL. I know it is not a strong sweetner, but 1 table spoon can overcome the bitterness of black coffee. Also put it im my green/mint tea (1 tbsp) and it tasted sweetner than the coffee did.

Granted it take more of it to sweeten things, but I dig the fact its natural, has beneficial medicinal effects, has been around for quite a long time, and can be used to add sugar-like bulk/qualities in conjuction with other sweetners like truvia, erythritol, and/or stevia while not adding any carbs or calories.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I am glad you found a product you enjoy and can help keep you on plan. Best wishes!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Where do you find it? Do you know if it's the same as inulin? Can you cook with it?
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
Where do you find it? Do you know if it's the same as inulin? Can you cook with it?
I found it at a Chaberlin's health food store.

it dosen't contain inulin in the ingredients, but my research says that chicory root is made of inulin and that is what is responsible for its sweetness.

Have you heard anything good or bad about inulin?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxbane View Post
I found it at a Chaberlin's health food store.

it dosen't contain inulin in the ingredients, but my research says that chicory root is made of inulin and that is what is responsible for its sweetness.

Have you heard anything good or bad about inulin?
I haven't done any research on it yet, I have heard it's good for helping you feel full and for regularity too. I have seen it in my health food store but haven't purchased any yet.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote