LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PeacefulGuide
Stats: waist in 41/34.5/29
WOE: LC with no flax/nuts/beef
Start Date: 9/2010 restart 5/2012
Surprising Low-carb finds

I was hoping that we could all share our fav low carb non-specialty store finds. I recently found 0net carb cocoa powder at foodlion(store brand) as well as Margret?canned Black beans with only 8 carbs for the entire can! Hello black bean chili! Since we all spend a lot of time label checking-let's share the love! Oh, my foodlion also carries ideal brown sugar substitute and confectioners sugar for 4.47 sooo tasty too!

Much Love!
PeacefulGuide is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
If you're talkng about Margaret Holmes Seasoned Black Beans, the label is incorrect. The true information is (updated on their web site) : 1/2 cup is 29g carbs; 9g fiber.
Unfortunately, this is pretty basic for all black beans, excluding black soy beans which are actually lower in carbs.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
fave commercially available product is:

Victoria marinara sauce, imported from Italy. no sugar added. 4 gr total & 2 gr fiber per 1/2 cup...OR 2 net gr. A Perfect compliment to Dreamfields, and many other foods. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
Victoria marinara sauce, imported from Italy. no sugar added. 4 gr total & 2 gr fiber per 1/2 cup...OR 2 net gr. A Perfect compliment to Dreamfields, and many other foods. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
unfortunately European labels already take the fiber out from total carbs, so we can't subtract it again. it would be pretty much impossible to get below 4 grams net per half cup, and only that if it's really pretty watery. tomatoes are just carby! but it's still pretty low.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacefulGuide View Post
I was hoping that we could all share our fav low carb non-specialty store finds. I recently found 0net carb cocoa powder at foodlion(store brand) as well as Margret?canned Black beans with only 8 carbs for the entire can! Hello black bean chili! Since we all spend a lot of time label checking-let's share the love! Oh, my foodlion also carries ideal brown sugar substitute and confectioners sugar for 4.47 sooo tasty too!

Much Love!
cocoa is cocoa and it just isn't zero carb. that would be either a measurement error or else just a tiny serving size. cocoa is about 1 gram net per tablespoon.

pretty much when things seem too good to be true, they are. if you look them up in a good database and compare with other brands, it gives you a good idea where the labeling errors are.

good luck!

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-06-2011 at 10:10 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I have found a fruit spread called Pollaner sugar free with fiber apricot preserves.It is made with splenda and has 4 total carbs for 1 tablespoon and 3 grams fiber.Therefore it is 1 carb per tablespoon. Very good, I might add.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 AM   #7

Gallery: flatferenghi
i will check them out on the web when i get home.

i hate it when labels lie. I have sung the praises of
Victoria to many people, low carb, ww, and on no diets at all. so far, though, i have not stalled on it. i, also have never used more than 2 fluid oz at a time. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rose1271
Stats: 238-22W (highest)/191.5-16W/135
Start Date: Restart-March 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
I have found a fruit spread called Pollaner sugar free with fiber apricot preserves.It is made with splenda and has 4 total carbs for 1 tablespoon and 3 grams fiber.Therefore it is 1 carb per tablespoon. Very good, I might add.
I buy these all the time. The blackberry one is good also.
Rose1271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
LOL! When I was at the store the other night I was looking at some spaghetti sauces (as a possible alternative for pizza sauce) and they all kinda ranged in the 12-19 range (I don't remember the serving size). Suddenly, like a flashing beacon, I saw on the very top shelf a "no sugar" added one! I pulled it down and checked the label - 13 carbs!

For crying out loud!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelio View Post
LOL! When I was at the store the other night I was looking at some spaghetti sauces (as a possible alternative for pizza sauce) and they all kinda ranged in the 12-19 range (I don't remember the serving size). Suddenly, like a flashing beacon, I saw on the very top shelf a "no sugar" added one! I pulled it down and checked the label - 13 carbs!

For crying out loud!

That's because even with no sugar added, tomatoes are a fairly "sweet" food. Sweetener is added more to balance the acidity. And tomato sauces are concentrations of tomatoes, so you get more carbs in the sauce than you would if you cut up a fresh tomato and ate it.

I often make a red pepper sauce as a tomato sauce substitute. Canned red peppers, rinsed, whirred in the Cuisinart with a bit of olive oil and garlic and herbs. Easy-peasy, and very tasty!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SaraOFlaherty
Stats: 162/149.2/130
WOE: LC but no particular plan
Start Date: August 29, 2011
Sonic Drive-in's Diet Cherry Limeaide, only 3 carbs for the entire Route 44 size!
SaraOFlaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelio View Post

For crying out loud!

Relaxxx

I use Prego, or Publix Brand Sauces. It comes down to how much of it use. Many times the serving size if 1/2 cup which goes a long way!

For Prego there is 13 Carbs and 3 Fiber or 10 Net Carbs for 1/2 cup. If I am using it to make a Pizza, with LC or NC crust, I only use 1/4 cup for my serving which is then only 5 Carbs! I think 5 carbs is reasonable.

Prego Italian Sausage & Garlic
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glimmergirl
International Cafe Sugar Free French Vanilla Coffee. I love this during the winter time!
Glimmergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizzy K
Stats: -11
WOE: Ditched Atkins for Paleo. NEVER turning back.
Start Date: May 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmergirl View Post
International Cafe Sugar Free French Vanilla Coffee. I love this during the winter time!
Mmm...Sounds yummy. I want coffee. Now.
Lizzy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Victoria to many people, low carb, ww, and on no diets at all. so far, though, i have not stalled on it. i, also have never used more than 2 fluid oz at a time. FF
please don't take it that way! it would be BETTER if labels were like the European ones! then people wouldn't have to know to subtract out the fiber. It's no more a lie than writing something is French is a lie, it's just different. and it's still very low!

plain canned tomato sauce is between about 14 and 27 grams NET per cup, so anything less than that is going to need to be waterier or diluted with something less carby than tomatoes. that just provides a good reference point in looking at labels on these things. some of the spaghetti sauces are more like very thin salsas, and that makes sense they would be lower. when they start having a lot of substance to them, I get skeptical.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NHB_AJ
Stats: 305/185/199
WOE: Moderate Carb/Smaller portion size
Start Date: 01/03/2011
I use Hunt's No Sugar Added Sauce, for a 1/2 cup its 7 grams carb, 3 fiber so net 4g's. I add onion, mushrooms, diced eggplant etc, and it goes a long way. It also tastes good to me.
NHB_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JSmooth619
Stats: 230/200/160
Start Date: Nov. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraOFlaherty View Post
Sonic Drive-in's Diet Cherry Limeaide, only 3 carbs for the entire Route 44 size!

That might be worth checking out. I work near a Sonic, but have never eaten there. I'm your typical socal in-n-out burger snob.

Thanks for the tip!
JSmooth619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mkmahaf
Stats: 296/240/145
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2010

This sauce is very good, and only 4 net carbs for half a cup. I get it at Safeway here in Norcal.
Mkmahaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmooth619 View Post

That might be worth checking out. I work near a Sonic, but have never eaten there. I'm your typical socal in-n-out burger snob.

Thanks for the tip!
Oh to be honest, their food sucks, but their sodas and shakes are totally worth going for. The diet version doesn't taste *quite* as good as the regular, but it's decent and a pretty naughty-feeling treat for so few carbs
Old 04-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraOFlaherty View Post
Oh to be honest, their food sucks, but their sodas and shakes are totally worth going for. The diet version doesn't taste *quite* as good as the regular, but it's decent and a pretty naughty-feeling treat for so few carbs
That's just blasphemy

3 or 4 Jr. Delux Burgers, sans bun. Drooooool. And cheap!

I don't get the cherry limeade's because they poor the marichino cherry juice in the limeade and I know there's tons of sugar in it. I just get a regular diet limeade.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
Start Date: 1/1/14
Ms.Woods, I have a friend that worked at Sonic and she told me that they use real syurps.Not sugar free. Now,I have no idea if ALL sonics do this,the one she worked at did and the cherry thing is correct,also.She asked her manager if he thought this was ok to lie to people, and he said how are they going to know??? It pissed her off and she quit not long after that.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah I know they don't have Sf syrup so I stick to Limeades. Just diet sprite and lime.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
There is a minefield out there. We just stick to "If God didn't make it, we don't eat it" for the most part. I do use some things that are processed like Bacon but as we all know, God most definitely made Bacon.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
Our Krogrer started selling this drink mix that is their own brand, it's a lot like a gatorade but its sugar free and comes in a ton of different flavors. Really dig the lemonade. It's cheaper then soda and I usually pour one into a giant 32 ounce container. It's slightly deluted but if not its a bit strong. They are making a lot more LC products these days.
lancer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #25
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Even if I'm not on a Low-carb plan, I really enjoy Joseph's Flax and Wheat low-carb pita at 60 calories a serving.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Wth?? Says on their website the one they use for the diet stuff is sugar free..Oy. Can't trust anyone these days.

Last edited by SaraOFlaherty; 04-08-2011 at 01:01 PM..
Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jo2621
Stats: 225+ now 135 5'5" 48 y.o.
WOE: LC maintenance since 2008
Start Date: June 2007
We have two Sonics near-by. They both showed me the sugar free syrup when I asked. They don't use the syrup from the cherries in the diet cherry limeade. I also ask for no cherries, because sometimes they drop them in. Most times they don't. I have no doubts that they are telling the truth about using the SF syrup because I have been to both when they were out of it and they told me so.

I can tell the difference between SF and regular. My diet cherry limeades always taste like diet. I enjoy them at " Sonic .99 Happy Hour" without worry.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wen774
Quote:
No worries...while Victoria is made with imported tomatoes, its actually an American product made in Brooklyn, so the fiber can be subtracted.
wen774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2621 View Post
We have two Sonics near-by. They both showed me the sugar free syrup when I asked. They don't use the syrup from the cherries in the diet cherry limeade. I also ask for no cherries, because sometimes they drop them in. Most times they don't. I have no doubts that they are telling the truth about using the SF syrup because I have been to both when they were out of it and they told me so.

I can tell the difference between SF and regular. My diet cherry limeades always taste like diet. I enjoy them at " Sonic .99 Happy Hour" without worry.

Maybe you r lucky ad my sonic is just lazy. I watched them pit the juice in mine one time.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jo2621
Stats: 225+ now 135 5'5" 48 y.o.
WOE: LC maintenance since 2008
Start Date: June 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Maybe you r lucky ad my sonic is just lazy. I watched them pit the juice in mine one time.
Could be just plain lazy. I wouldn't be happy about it if it wasn't diet and I'd ask them to correct it. As with any food place and any drink. I have gotten more than my share of sweet tea and refills when I specifically said unsweetened. It wouldn't kill me if I got a sip of a sugared drink, but then again I don't have medical issues with sugar.

I think if I saw that happen or had any idea that was happening anywhere on an everyday basis, not just Sonic, I would contact the franchise owners or corporate. We have friends that own several nationwide franchise places in town and if their employees did that deliberately, they certainly wouldn't have a job for long.
jo2621 is offline   Reply With Quote