LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TubbyGirl
Stats: (275) 251/228.8/190
WOE: Atkins- Induction
Start Date: 1/17/11
Carbohydrate Addicts Diet VS. Atkins

Hello All. I am trying to get the pros and cons of these two "Diets." One is atkins induction which is less than 20 net carbs a day and the other is The Carb Addicts Diet which means no carbs all day except one hour a day you can eat whatever you would like. I have been sticking mainly to Atkins and occasionally eating an hours worth on the weekends, but I am wondering if I should consider the other. I feel icky and grumpy a lot on atkins and get frusterated by my own special requests for low carb foods all the time. I really like the idea of having an hour to eat what I would like. I wouldn't go crazy, and I would be health concious during that hour, but I would still like to lose around 10 pounds a month. Does anyone have any input on this?

1st Goal 230 - Met 3/27/11
2nd Goal 220- Met ???
3rd Goal 210
4th Goal 200
5th Goal 190
TubbyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You'll only know by trying it.

I recall years ago when CA first appeared. It seemed great, but I happen to be particularly sensitive to carbs, and a plan like that would never work for me.

However, everyone is different in terms of their toleration for carbs. I know that one of the authors of CA lost about 80 lbs easily eating this way, so it can work.

Whether it can work for you is something you'll only know if you try it.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: baindegael
Stats: Highest 323-5'9" 230/182/150 BMI 27.08 Goal BMI 22
WOE: LC/LF, ditching processed crap
Start Date: 10/29/2003
It sounds like on both you will have special requests or modifications when you're eating out in public. Personally, I can do A LOT of damage in an hour, I couldn't be trusted on that.

Good luck with what you decide!
baindegael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #4

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I think it sounds like a possible fit for you! I think the best plan is the one a person can stick to longterm .. and it sounds like CAD might help that. Being grumpy on Atkins is not going to keep you going .. I have been doing this since 2003 and there is no way in hell I'd have been able to take it off and keep it off if i was not relatively happy with the weightloss portion of that food plan ..

Honestly, when you go to maintenance and try to keep that weightloss, you do not eat all that differently from the weightloss portion .. that is something that is hard to see when a person is trying to just shed the pounds. I think you are being very very wise looking for something that is manageable for yourself!

Personal Opinion: I'd just try to stick very rigorously to the rules of the plan, time-wise, etc, do the zero carb thing suring the day but do not make it prison fare or you'll overdo it at your 1-hour meal.

Let us know how you do if you do decide to go that route! I have always thought it sounded like a really really good plan.

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Hi, Tia, (I refuse to call such a beautiful young woman Tubby Girl)!
I tried the CA for a few years back.
It was ugly.
and It was embarrassing.
I had no control.
toward the end I just ate ice cream and what the hour turned out to be was a daily binge.
HOWEVER, you seem to be really aware of exactly what is going on with you.
That is powerful.
I say try it, see how you like it and how it likes you!
I will be stalking you for updates!
I admire your insights.
Pat
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I can't imagine it works for very many people. The whole point is, is that a way to deal with an addiction? Let's say we are talking to alcoholics. would it seem like good advice that they could drink anything they wanted one hour a day? I didn't think so.

the science of weight gain and insulin metabolism and all has come a long way since then, and I don't think there is any scientific basis for the idea it's ok to eat carbs during a one hour window. in fact, it's clearly better to spread your carbs over the day to avoid that huge insulin spike that's dead set on storing as much of what you eat as fat as it can!

if you want to eat more carbs than Atkins starts with, I suggest you get through induction and work through the rungs of OWL to see what you can and can't eat without gaining more weight.

the problem is, from the perspective of a MUCH older person who has lost, regained, lost, regained more, over and over... the problem is to find something you can stick with. better to stay at 250 the rest of your life than to be saying the same thing you are now, but substituting 350 as your current weight, 10 or 20 years from now. it happens, believe me.

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-05-2011 at 05:02 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I can also do *a lot* of damage in an hour and my blood sugar would spike into the 400's with that kind of carb load.

I think if you're looking to keep the carbs in your diet, there are much better alternatives (e.g. South Beach).

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
The plan is NOT to eat gorge yourself for an hour - that's like saying JUDDD is eat 4000 calories every other day and lose weight. It's common sense too. You can gain w/Atkins if you say "well you don't have to count calories so I'll 4000 calories a day w/zero carb"...it's suppose to be a moderate carb meal to reward yourself. It works for ppl like me who don't have binge issues and dont' like the restriction of "never" and "for the rest of my life".

I know ppl for whom it has worked great.

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
I think the 1 hr. carb-ier meal is supposed to be controlled. Divide your plate in thirds, consisting of veggie, salad and carbs. Go back for seconds, but only if you have seconds of everything. At least that is how I remember it.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I think the 1 hr. carb-ier meal is supposed to be controlled. Divide your plate in thirds, consisting of veggie, salad and carbs. Go back for seconds, but only if you have seconds of everything. At least that is how I remember it.
Yes, you're right...but one of the examples they showed (saw the authors on a talk show) was a plate that had protein, vegie and carbs and the carb section was a big 'ol hunk of chocolate cake. If you wanted another piece of chocolate cake, you'd have to have more protein and vegie too. Can do...and can go back for thirds.

If I eat more than 45gm of carbs a day I'm in trouble with sugar spikes and on the CAD, there are easily *way* more than that in just one helping. Some might say, well then limit those carbs to what I can tolerate. Yep...but then that's Atkins.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #11

Gallery: flatferenghi
u will never know unless u try it.

there are quite a number of plans out there involving some sort of carb restriction, not all are as austere as ATKINS phase I. I always recommend Living Low Carb (revised edition 2010)by Johnny Bowden. One chapter in it discusses in detail 38 different plans, most of them involve some sort of carb restriction. Best of luck. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
If this diet works, are there forums specifically dedicated to it, to discuss and promote it, by people who use this diet or WOE long term?

I haven't read the diet, but I don't see how this would be any different than people who eat thier whole days worth of food in one sitting, even if they are doing LC.

The problems that I see; that you should verify are explained away by the diet include:
(a) The amount of insulin that is released in response to glucose entering into your blood stream, will be more than minimal, and will trigger the storage of fats in your blood stream, and will halt the flow of fats flowing out of you fat cells.

(b) This may kick you into and out of ketosis on a daily basis or so depending on how many carbs you handle to remain in keto. Normally when going into keto, you loose a lot of water, and vitamins and minerals along with it. If you are going in an out repeatedly, I imagine you would have to watch your water and sodium/magnesium/potassium/calcium baances carefully?
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #13

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
It's a wonderful plan! Try it out!
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I tried it once and freaked out on it, eating too much at night. It was a loooong time ago. As I remember it, you were supposed to eat a "normal" meal that would last no longer than one hour. I did OK for a few days then I started eating more and more each night. My stomach felt full, but each night was less satisfying than the night before.

I'm not saying I don't agree with the principal of pushing the main insulin release to the evening meal. I think that is a fantastic idea, especially since my blood sugar is higher in the morning. The CA plan was just too liberal for me.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I need to read the book. I am just curious if the CAD and other similar diets like South Beach help you to lose as quick as Atkins. I really want to lose 10 a month which really isn't that quick. I'm curious if you are in ketosis or if the cravings are low too. I am pretty good at not doing a lot of damage. I don't really like junk food like cake/icecream chips, because I know it hurts my belly. But I would love to have some whole wheat pasta sometimes at night and FRUIITT in the summer!!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyGirl View Post
Thanks everyone! I need to read the book. I am just curious if the CAD and other similar diets like South Beach help you to lose as quick as Atkins. I really want to lose 10 a month which really isn't that quick. I'm curious if you are in ketosis or if the cravings are low too. I am pretty good at not doing a lot of damage. I don't really like junk food like cake/icecream chips, because I know it hurts my belly. But I would love to have some whole wheat pasta sometimes at night and FRUIITT in the summer!!
There is always Dreamfields pasta for once in a while, and you can always work Blueberries and Strawberries into a LC plan.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #17

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
I lost about 8 lbs the first week and 2-3 lbs a week after that.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
CAD/CALP's great plan unless you turn your RM into a full on binge or can't stop.....
There are some peop on that thread who've been very successful. If you google you'll find some on other discussion forums.

South Beach is also allows more carbs and is a very popular plan w huge success.

It is whatever works for you and what you can live with.

Not everyone has rapid weight loss w Atkins.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mdolph
Stats: 287/138/150
WOE: hhcg rogue
Start Date: August 4, 2003
I used to follow CAD. Actually I lost 100 pounds doing that. I loved it and found that I had less bouts of cheating on my plan as if I really wanted something I could have it. The only reason I've gone away from it is b/c I wanted to try something different. I do plan on it being my maintenance plan in the future.

The thing is that after a few weeks I did stop the cravings for the chocolate cake and the huge portions of sweets, but I always knew that if I wanted real pizza or to have a bowl of cereal or something I could.
mdolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
Quote:
you definitely need to read CAD before deciding to give it a try, or not. it has precise guidelines to it just like Atkins does.

i've tried CAD before and while i can be fairly high in carbs (in comparison to other lc'ers, not in comparison to the SAD) and stay in ketosis, not everyone is like this. fruit is something you could enjoy on most lc plans, whole wheat pasta, no. but how about dreamfields? it's excellent. there are a LOT of choices out there for you
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
"The problems that I see; that you should verify are explained away by the diet include:
(a) The amount of insulin that is released in response to glucose entering into your blood stream, will be more than minimal, and will trigger the storage of fats in your blood stream, and will halt the flow of fats flowing out of you fat cells. "

I first learned about managing insulin release when I read the Hellers' Healthy for Life, which outlines an eating plan similar to CAD.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lil lady
I LOVE this plan. You do have to control yourself but its a sense of relief for me knowing I can have a little bit of "x" for dinner. I keep my portions in check and stick to the plan. I do advise NO cheat day since you kind of get one every night at dinner I do highly recommend this plan.Especially if youre in college or tend to go out a lot with friends. Pretty soon you'll find yourself choosing more low carb options for dinner than you realized. Hope this helps!! Ive had great success with this plan! Good luck to you!
lil lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I only know one person CA worked for in the last decade or so. Everyone else didn't lose or gained that I personally know who tried it. The one success was a woman with serious self control, she really budgeted for protein, and her one meal would be EXACTLY balanced as they recommend NOT a free for all. Once a week she had a happy meal with a diet drink. It worked for her.
Definite failure for me without staying in ketosis and avoiding all binge triggers.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #24

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Hi Tia, I just want to tell you that 10 lbs a month on Atkins might not be realistic for you either ... I stayed around 20-25 net carbs for my first year on Atkins, starting at about 236 (around where you are right now), and if you average out my year, I lost about 6 lbs a month. I am pretty sure I could not have lost much faster than that unless I had done a low-calorie program like medifast or weightloss surgery.

If I were you, I would pick your plan based upon what you can sustain for the longterm as I think the differences in weightloss amounts are not **that** different ... imho, all the plans work if you work them.

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
I tried CAD before I started Atkins and it did not work for me. The plan is a good plan, but I am a carb addict and the reward dinner was not moderate for me at all. I would overdo it.

Atkins is better for me and once I got past induction, I felt very comfortable and not deprived.

I think trying CAD would be good if you are not someone who has problems with controlling your eating during a meal like the reward meal. If I could do it, I probably would.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all so much. I love this site and all its members. Such good information to be gathered here. I think I would do very well not binging on my diet, but I would have to work to include the proteins and all the other rules that go along with this diet. I am going to grab the book and keep you all updated. Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #27

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Hi Tia, I just want to tell you that 10 lbs a month on Atkins might not be realistic for you either ... I stayed around 20-25 net carbs for my first year on Atkins, starting at about 236 (around where you are right now), and if you average out my year, I lost about 6 lbs a month. I am pretty sure I could not have lost much faster than that unless I had done a low-calorie program like medifast or weightloss surgery.

If I were you, I would pick your plan based upon what you can sustain for the longterm as I think the differences in weightloss amounts are not **that** different ... imho, all the plans work if you work them.

Pauline
I wanted to post on the 10 lbs a month comment too, but couldn't think of how to word it - the above is good.

Lately I see so many people (not just here) complaining about how slow they are losing. Many of those people are losing regularly and average 1 - 2 lbs a week. I don't remember years ago so many people thinking that was slow, but constantly hear that complaint lately. It makes me wonder if shows like Biggest Loser where the contestants lose large amounts of weight because they are focused 24/7 only on losing weight is the reason. I know the people in real life that complain about it all the time, are all Biggest Loser Fans. I keep trying to reassure them that as long as they are losing they are doing good, and shouldn't expect big results every week.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Over on the 'other plans' there is CAD/CALP thread. Terri (Hoppin) is w/in a few pounds of goal. She stayed w it spedifically because she could do it for life.
She has linked to her site which has pics and she is truly an inspiration. She also feels that she has gained better control w CALP.

Probably one of the big upsides is that for those who have family that don't follow lc eating plan, the meal that is shared can fit right into the reward meal.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I have done it before with success. I liked it but I found I invariably went off the plan after a time. I could not seem to stick to it. If I am in weight loss mode, it is one of the occasional tools I will employ while low-carbing (say, if I know I'm going to visit folks for a meal), besides intermittent fasting (which just means having a window of 5 to 6 hours a day where I will eat and the rest of the time abstain). The thing I disliked the most was that it was only 1 hour one could eat. Yikes! When I prepare food, I tend to nibble. Oh boy, this made things tough!

That was my experience but I've heard of several other people that have lost 100 pounds or more (even someone on this thread) with CALP and kept if off with the same plan. Amazing to me.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Confetti
Stats: 5'9", 43 years ~~314/goal is to be under 200!
WOE: controlled carb
Start Date: March 2007
CAD/CALP

Hello -- I initially lost 121 pounds using CALP, a version of CAD that emphasizes a balanced Reward Meal. It's a great plan -- it works! And I found it very easy to follow. It took me about 21 months to lose the weight. However, I am disheartened to say that within the last 8 months, I have gained about 35 pounds back (this is the first time I have said this on this forum), and this is a topic I'd like to post about in the main forum, as I really have been searching for help. But back to CAD/CALP -- it's a great, do-able plan! Good luck!