Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
I think the OP is probably misinformed about CAD/CALP as she thinks the Reward Meal is an hour during which "you can eat whatever you want". This cannot be further from the truth.

The Hellers say the RM (reward meal) must start with 2 cups of salad, and that you must have a 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, and 1/3 veggies balance for your main course. Divide plate in thirds and place reasonably balanced portions of each on it. Not as high carb as one may think.

It is not an hour of binging on high-carb foods, and if it is, then it isn't CAD/CALP.

My suggestion would be to read the books first and see if it would work for you personally.

P.S. There is a CAD/CALP thread under "other plans" with many old timers posting there if you want to check it out.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 04-07-2011 at 06:49 PM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #32

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confetti View Post
Hello -- I initially lost 121 pounds using CALP, a version of CAD that emphasizes a balanced Reward Meal. It's a great plan -- it works! And I found it very easy to follow. It took me about 21 months to lose the weight. However, I am disheartened to say that within the last 8 months, I have gained about 35 pounds back (this is the first time I have said this on this forum), and this is a topic I'd like to post about in the main forum, as I really have been searching for help. But back to CAD/CALP -- it's a great, do-able plan! Good luck!
Not to hijack this thread, but confetti I have come to some conclusions lately about those of us who lose large amounts of weight .. like your 121 pounds and then try to move into maintenance. I think it is very normal to rebound up a certain percentage when trying to maintain. I also think that the difference between going back up that path to obesity and really finally "getting it right" is searching for personal answers on why we eat and overeat, and what we have to accept in our lives to maintain the weightloss. For me, in the past year, that has been a very regimented set of requirements that just have to remain habit .. mostly: food quantity, weekly weigh-in, certain number of required exercise per week.

It feels sometimes Like I have to do more than the naturally thin people ... but then I really look at those thin fit people who are my age and realize that they work just as hard at it ... for many of them though, it is an ingrained habit ...

we just need to get to that place too ... my thoughts on the subject .. Don't feel too bad, just work through it! I know you can do it!!!!!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Last edited by TaDa!; 04-08-2011 at 04:21 AM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Pauline, just wanted to say, I love your posts. You really are a sweet person too. Congrats on your success! Amazing!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TubbyGirl
Stats: (275) 251/228.8/190
WOE: Atkins- Induction
Start Date: 1/17/11
I agree that I am probably misinformed about CAD. I did think it was an hour to eat as you wish. Truthfully, my hour would have probably consisted of a peanut butter jelly sandwich and grapes, because that would be a fine go-to meal for me. I know I wouldn't binge, but I probably wouldn't have chosen a salad and balanaced meal. I need to read more about it.

In response to Karerose, I do see how The Biggest Loser could have a huge affect on people's expectations. I've always been told that the best rate to lose and keep it off is 2 pounds a week. I would like to know how the Biggest Loser justifies 7 pound losses. I really haven't watched that much of the show, so my comparison is coming from when I did low carb 10 years ago, as a teenager. I did take advantage of the low appetite and would often go days without food and loved that I could lose 10 pounds in a week easily. I have to work to be patient with 1-2 pounds a week. To me, I want my reward to be worth my sacrifices. I've lost about 18 pounds this time around, but the best reward has just been feeling like I have control of myself again and I'm doing it in a much more healthy way.

I've been so encouraged by all these posts! I really think I am going to give it a try. I was telling a friend of mine last night that I have basically turned down any invitation for social outings because I didn't want to be tempted at all and chance going out of ketosis by eating carbs or even hidden carbs in resturant foods. Hopefully this plan will help with that too.

1st Goal 230 - Met 3/27/11
2nd Goal 220- Met ???
3rd Goal 210
4th Goal 200
5th Goal 190
TubbyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #35

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyGirl View Post
I agree that I am probably misinformed about CAD. I did think it was an hour to eat as you wish. Truthfully, my hour would have probably consisted of a peanut butter jelly sandwich and grapes, because that would be a fine go-to meal for me. I know I wouldn't binge, but I probably wouldn't have chosen a salad and balanaced meal. I need to read more about it.

In response to Karerose, I do see how The Biggest Loser could have a huge affect on people's expectations. I've always been told that the best rate to lose and keep it off is 2 pounds a week. I would like to know how the Biggest Loser justifies 7 pound losses. I really haven't watched that much of the show, so my comparison is coming from when I did low carb 10 years ago, as a teenager. I did take advantage of the low appetite and would often go days without food and loved that I could lose 10 pounds in a week easily. I have to work to be patient with 1-2 pounds a week. To me, I want my reward to be worth my sacrifices. I've lost about 18 pounds this time around, but the best reward has just been feeling like I have control of myself again and I'm doing it in a much more healthy way.

I've been so encouraged by all these posts! I really think I am going to give it a try. I was telling a friend of mine last night that I have basically turned down any invitation for social outings because I didn't want to be tempted at all and chance going out of ketosis by eating carbs or even hidden carbs in resturant foods. Hopefully this plan will help with that too.
Tia, hope you find one of the Hellers' books (I would recommend CALP), your local library should have them. A big online book retailer sells them for a penny plus 3.99 shipping. I started my voyage into LCing via CALP and I liked it, still do, it is a great introduction into the LC lifestyle.

Best of luck to you on any plan you decide to follow!

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 04-08-2011 at 07:50 PM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #36

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
mini threadjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Pauline, just wanted to say, I love your posts. You really are a sweet person too. Congrats on your success! Amazing!
Thanks so much Jennifer for your kind words here and on my weightloss story thread. You are a doll! (and it is mutual admiration society, I tell ya!)

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
LOL Pauline.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #38

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I need to read the book. I am just curious if the CAD and other similar diets like South Beach help you to lose as quick as Atkins. I really want to lose 10 a month which really isn't that quick. I'm curious if you are in ketosis or if the cravings are low too. I am pretty good at not doing a lot of damage. I don't really like junk food like cake/icecream chips, because I know it hurts my belly. But I would love to have some whole wheat pasta sometimes at night and FRUIITT in the summer!!
yeah, 10 lb a month is very aggressive. doesn't hurt to hope, but please don't get crazy if it doesn't happen. I don't think that's possible for very many people. and pretty much NO, you wouldn't lose as fast. what level of carbs keeps you in ketosis varies by person, but it's generally good to do an induction to get there and then try adding to see how much you can tolerate. that seems to work better for most than starting initially at a moderate carb level, but again, there are people who have succeeded doing all sorts of things. there are plenty of people who succeed doing low fat/high carb too! it's all a matter of what works, is healthy, and you can stick to it. the sticking to it part is partly dealing with physical cravings and partly getting your mind around a restriction on what you can eat. each person has his own balance here.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cali_amazon
Stats: minus 21 lbs.
WOE: sugar free, grain free, low gi
Start Date: January 2011
Just a quick note re: CAD. I've recently read the orginal CAD earliest edition and it does in fact advocate for eating what you want for that hour. There is no mention of balancing portions, but eating a meal like a "regular" person. They do encourage you to stick to whatever dietary restrictions you may otherwise have, like low fat. They don't advocate binge behavior at all.

You are supposed to monitor your average weight loss for the week (or 2 weeks I can't recall which) and if you are not losing the way you would like they have suggestions that include:
-A salad prior to eating your reward meal
-Cutting back on meals from 3 down to 2
-There's also an option for 3 meals and a snack and they advocate cutting the snack if you are having trouble.

I suspect they re-wrote the original to conform to societal expectations of a diet a bit more and to discourage bingeing by including the matched portion suggestion and not encouraging someone to skip a meal. Despite that in the original Susan? Heller lost all of her weight by eating what she wanted once a day for 1 hour.

Much of their theory relates to controling automatic insulin response. So they argue that by eating carbs only once per day you are changing up your body's expectations regarding food and thus creating a more appropriate insulin response. This is also why you are only supposed to eat for 1 hour.

Anyho, the horse is clearly beaten, but I thought I'd share I've used this approach on vacation and find that it's great for maintaining. Then again for me that usually means a glass of wine and a small or shared dessert. I've honestly been amazed at how much easier it is for me to feel in control of my eating on low carb and I don't think CAD is any different in that regard, but for me regular low-carbing is what prevented the idea of a reward meal from being an all out binge.
cali_amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Confetti
Stats: 5'9", 43 years ~~314/goal is to be under 200!
WOE: controlled carb
Start Date: March 2007
Thanks, Pauline! I keep reading, researching, learning and trying! I'm a fighter!
Confetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TubbyGirl
Stats: (275) 251/228.8/190
WOE: Atkins- Induction
Start Date: 1/17/11
Ordered the book. Waiting for it to arrive. So CAD and CALP are more about controlling insulin responses then making the body enter Ketosis. Is that right? I understand in Ketosis that the body is not burning carbs because there are none, so it burns only fat. Does that happen with CAD/CAlP on a smaller scale?

Here was my diet plan yesterday.
B- 2 net carb chocolate shake
L-2 hard boiled eggs
D- Pasta with sausage and vegis and bread.

I know it wasn't what the book recommended, but hopefully I helped to control my insulin.?
TubbyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cali_amazon
Stats: minus 21 lbs.
WOE: sugar free, grain free, low gi
Start Date: January 2011
According to the CAD book I read they focus on insulin not ketosis. I'm not recalling the exact science behind it (perhaps someone else can chime in?), but basically there are 2 instances of insulin release in response to eating a meal. The first is immediate and related to your blood sugar, the second is about an hour after eating and will be higher if you are still eating at that time. They argue that high carb leads to the body automatically dumping more insulin than is warranted into your system.

Obviously insulin resistance plays into their theory and I believe they argue that by moderating your insulin response to your low carb meals your body is able to more effectively respond to the reward meal.

That's what I recall anyway.

Although, as your menu suggests, I think this plan may also be inherently lower calorie.
cali_amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
From my personal experience with CAD, IF I could have controlled myself, maybe I would have done okay. But that one hour --that one bowl of ice cream--turned into a huge binge--and I am one that does need to watch calories even if my carbs were low. It's one of those things that you just have to try first. : )
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I need to read the book. I am just curious if the CAD and other similar diets like South Beach help you to lose as quick as Atkins. I really want to lose 10 a month which really isn't that quick. I'm curious if you are in ketosis or if the cravings are low too. I am pretty good at not doing a lot of damage. I don't really like junk food like cake/icecream chips, because I know it hurts my belly. But I would love to have some whole wheat pasta sometimes at night and FRUIITT in the summer!!
I wouldn't say CAD gets you to lose weight faster than Atkins, but in my case, I think it will give me something that I can stick to longer term.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
I would think anyone serious about getting control of their carb addiction would reject a high carb reward meal every day. They are not really learning how to control those high carb cravings if they keep going back to them. That just seems like giving a teenager the keys to the car and a hundred dollars to spend.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Long before I heard about Atkins I heard of CAD and tried it.. It worked for me but not for the long haul.
It was funny ...when I went out to eat I asked them to bring my dessert with my meal so I can eat it within the hour.
Richard and Rachael Heller clearly state in the CAD book that you have to eat a balance of foods with your reward meal meaning: you have to have protein, salad, and carb/reward in one sitting. If you want more reward (carbs) you have to eat more protein, salad/veggie along with carb/reward.
The nice thing about the Heller's is that I wrote them many times and they wrote me back.. Good luck on your choice.

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength Philippians 4:13
Grandmother of 8
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
If it is to be, it's up to me
*a little note... I lost this all my weight without one ounce of exercise. I do now swim 3x a week*

Last edited by mmorris; 05-11-2011 at 02:21 PM..
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
Long before I heard about Atkins I heard of CAD and tried it.. It worked for me but not for the long haul.
It was funny ...when I went out to eat I asked them to bring my dessert with my meal so I can eat it within the hour.
Richard and Rachael Heller clearly state in the CAD book that you have to eat a balance of foods with your reward meal meaning: you have to have protein, salad, and carb/reward in one sitting. If you want more reward (carbs) you have to eat more protein, salad/veggie along with carb/reward.
The nice thing about the Heller's is that I wrote them many times and they wrote me back.. Good luck on your choice.
I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that for CAD, you eat what you want to within an hour, being careful not to make it a "pigout." The CALP diet is where you balance proteins salad/veggies and carbs.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that for CAD, you eat what you want to within an hour, being careful not to make it a "pigout." The CALP diet is where you balance proteins salad/veggies and carbs.
Sounds right.............I have read both books, and own the CAD version.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Bumping in case someone has interest in CAD eating.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Bumping again.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
1 hr. a day you can have what you want. On atkins you just have to wait longer for that to happen. phase 4, the final meals you can have 'good' breads etc. IF YOUR body can handle heavier carbs and maintain.

1 hr the amt. of carbs I can eat is sickening. I wouldn't do it for me. I could put myself over 200 carbs in an hr. I know I can do it

You do know you don't have to pick one? because it is all about the TOTAL CARBS you allow yourself for the day. atkins puts more of a 'plan limit' to follow for carbs thru the phases. to lose weight. the Carb Addict just say eat what you want in one hr and don't go crazy. (does it have a carb limit for the day or it is whatever you eat only?)

If the normal person limited themselves to say, 50-60 carbs per day, heck they would probably lose weight.

I can lose on 40 carbs per day but I choose atkins at 25-30 carbs in Phase 2 because I am gradually adding in a few foods thru the phases to see if I react nasty to any. atkins gives you a plan that shows you if certain foods when added back later are your enemy. If you eat whatever you want in an hr a day you wouldn't really know if certain foods are not good for you particularly.

atkins starts clean. basic in food. then you add to see how things effect you personally. that is what I like about my plan.

I would never reward myself with food ever again in my life. No way. These nasty, stupid rituals with food is what I am trying to break away from to get a balanced handle on food thru my life. a food reward is the worst I could ever offer myself.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DressageLover
Stats: 222/168/150, 5'10"
WOE: VLC, A72
Start Date: 1/29/99
I'm a big fan of CAD and I'd highly recommend reading the Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program. I found the program very easy, comfortable, and manageable. I ate that way from January of 1999 through June of this year. I lost about 40 pounds and kept it off all those years. For me to finish the job, however, I've had to go very low carb and closely track calories. I have about 11 pounds to go! The thing you need to understand with CAD is the process of managing bi-phasic insulin response. It won't work well if you try to incorporate artificial sweeteners or frankenfoods into your day aside from the "reward meal" hour. With the exception of the one hour where you can have a BALANCED meal that includes carbs, you need to eat very cleanly. Meat, eggs, cheese, green veggies. No nuts, no sodas, no shakes, no atkins bars, etc. Again - I found this program very liveable - just needed to ratchet down my eating to lose the rest of my weight.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
The problem with CAD is that it does not really fix the insulin problem.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
DressageLover- can the reward meal be at lunch time instead of dinner?
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Hoppin, who is a CAD/CALP poster child (check out Other Plans) has a very complete blog, Low Carb Compatible. She does her reward meal at lunch.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #56
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
I'll throw another idea into the mix-Jorge Cruise's book/plan, The Belly Fat Cure. This is the first book I read after deciding to go lc and it was easy to read and had some good ideas-the premise being keep your sugar grams under 15 a day and carbs between 30-120ish a day. I've since decided that a lc plan wasn't for me and have ended up with JUDDD, but if you're looking for a lc plan that's more flexible I'd look into The Belly Fat Cure
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/11/2012
Like an alcoholic, I can't be trusted with the RM. I can do a lot of damage in an hour!
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageLover View Post
I'm a big fan of CAD and I'd highly recommend reading the Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program. I found the program very easy, comfortable, and manageable. I ate that way from January of 1999 through June of this year. I lost about 40 pounds and kept it off all those years. For me to finish the job, however, I've had to go very low carb and closely track calories. I have about 11 pounds to go! The thing you need to understand with CAD is the process of managing bi-phasic insulin response. It won't work well if you try to incorporate artificial sweeteners or frankenfoods into your day aside from the "reward meal" hour. With the exception of the one hour where you can have a BALANCED meal that includes carbs, you need to eat very cleanly. Meat, eggs, cheese, green veggies. No nuts, no sodas, no shakes, no atkins bars, etc. Again - I found this program very liveable - just needed to ratchet down my eating to lose the rest of my weight.
That pretty well sums up my view of the plan. It is successful when I stick to it, and it seems like the plan that works the best in MY life--for the long haul.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #59
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
CAD controls insulin by only eating food that stimulates insulin response once per day and for a limited time. The reason for the one hour window is because a second round of insulin is released if you are still eating then.

The plan assumes you are coming from a "normal" diet and your insulin is elevated all day. With CAD you are cutting your insulin-heavy time down by 20+ hours.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeslieJG
Stats: 220/213/130
WOE: CAD
Start Date: January 2013
I did CAD back in the late 90's and lost 30 pounds in 3 months. Loved it, but I was never able to get my momentum back after I went off. Now I am back on low carb (20 or less a day) after having had 5 children and wanting to lose the weight I gained back. I am actually thinking of incorporating a CAD RM occasionally. I feel it is better to have 1 cheat meal in CAD rules every now and then (holidays, birthdays, and special occasions) then a full on cheat to contain the damage.. My problem with CAD is the no snacking rule. I like to have a snack at night while reading or watching TV after the kids are in bed.
LeslieJG is offline   Reply With Quote