LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyDude
Stats: 240/237/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1st time 11/2006. Lost 41 lbs. Restart 1/7/2013
Do Sugar Substitutes Spike Insulin?

I am on my second week of Induction and I've been using Stevia and occasionly some Splenda. Just curious if these sugar substitutes spike an insulin response? I want to do Induction as clean as I can.

Thanks,
Phil
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
If you're using bulk splenda w maltodextrin, yes.
If not YMMV.
I use stevia and erythritol and my BG remains stable.
If your blood sugar makes a drop after consuming say, some water w sugar sub in it then you'll know it does cause an insulin response.....you get the picture.
You'll need a meter to figure this out.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
If you're using bulk splenda w maltodextrin, yes.
If not YMMV.
I use stevia and erythritol and my BG remains stable.
If your blood sugar makes a drop after consuming say, some water w sugar sub in it then you'll know it does cause an insulin response.....you get the picture.
You'll need a meter to figure this out.
I didn't know this was a YMMV issue. If that's true I may need to get a meter or else abstain from all sugar substitutes to be sure.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
More like a You Body May Vary. Level of insulin resistance, dawn effect, ... It's easier to find a sweetener in tablet form or liquid form. I don't miss those paper packets at all.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I have used both granular and liquid splenda and stevia-(shudder lol) none of them showed up on my meter.

Last edited by nobody is my name; 04-05-2011 at 10:51 AM..
nobody is my name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
...I want to do Induction as clean as I can.
Hi Phil…
You are doing fine, and neither the Stevia or Splenda will likely disrail you. I use liquid splenda because it's zero carb. I also use Erythritol or Xylitol both of which people who are diabetic use because they supposedly avoid spikes.

Personally I've never monitored blood sugar, and just enjoy the benefits of all the non-sugar sweeteners. It is a good day to learn to low carb.

Some would contend (not I) that if you use sweeteners you are not eating clean. I'm assuming you mean as close to the 20 per day using the prescribed foods as possible in order to adjust your body to eating low carb and hopefully be in Ketosis.

I inducted with diet jello, diet soda, hot dogs and coffee (plenty) and my body didn't object to any/all of it. It adjusted quite nicely (and still does).

HOpe low carb eating fulfills your goals…

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
If you are not diabetic you can't get much information from a glucose monitor. It only shows blood sugar rising to the extent your natural insulin response DOESN'T cover it, right? People with good insulin metabolisms just don't see that much rise after eating most of the time.

I think I can say pretty categorically that they do NOT cause insulin spikes. If they DID and you didn't have the glucose in your bloodstream, it would mean low blood sugars and possibly passing out or brain damage. You don't see people lying about unconscious and a lot of low carbers drink diet sodas and such!

what they MIGHT do is more complicated. sweets apparently do things in the brain independent of whether they have carbs or not. some people claim they cause problems of one sort or another. I think this is a rare thing and people get too caught up in the issue. for most people, like 99.5%?, they do not cause physical problems of this nature.

aspartame seems to cause other physical problems for some people. it gives me headaches.

I use sucralose/splenda and erythritol without problems.

If those sweeteners caused an insulin spike I would USE them for that, since it would probably be better than injecting more insulin! LOL
Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

When I LCed in 2006-2007 I lost 41 lbs in 7 months. Back then I used splenda to sweeten my coffee and iced tea. I'm not a real big diet soda drinker, so no problem there. Fast forward to today.... I've gained all the weight back plus 2 and I'm just a little concerned that my body will not react the same way to the sugar substitutes. My wife belives splenda causes an insulin spike and has converted me over to stevia (NuNaturals NuStevia Packets), which she claims does not spike insulin. I guess I just need to keep a close eye on how the weight loss progresses. I lost 5lbs the first week, so it seems good so far. LOL I'm probably just a worrywart

Last edited by PhillyDude; 04-05-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
There is some scientific documentation that simply tasting something sweet - even if it has no carbohydrate - can boost insulin. IMO, it's probably not a huge boost, but for those of us who are super sensitive to carbs, it could be an issue.

In the case of a low-carber, the increased insulin would serve to move circulating fats into storage, since there's limited blood glucose.

So, the bottom line? Really, YMMV - you could do a trial of going without ANY sweetener and see if you feel better or your weight loss is faster, or if there's no difference. Or you could decide you don't care either way, because you like a treat now & then and it's not a massive effect either way.
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Phil…
You are doing fine, and neither the Stevia or Splenda will likely disrail you. I use liquid splenda because it's zero carb. I also use Erythritol or Xylitol both of which people who are diabetic use because they supposedly avoid spikes.

Personally I've never monitored blood sugar, and just enjoy the benefits of all the non-sugar sweeteners. It is a good day to learn to low carb.

Some would contend (not I) that if you use sweeteners you are not eating clean. I'm assuming you mean as close to the 20 per day using the prescribed foods as possible in order to adjust your body to eating low carb and hopefully be in Ketosis.

I inducted with diet jello, diet soda, hot dogs and coffee (plenty) and my body didn't object to any/all of it. It adjusted quite nicely (and still does).

HOpe low carb eating fulfills your goals…

I'm with Larry! I want my food to be fun sometimes.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post
There is some scientific documentation that simply tasting something sweet - even if it has no carbohydrate - can boost insulin. IMO, it's probably not a huge boost, but for those of us who are super sensitive to carbs, it could be an issue.

In the case of a low-carber, the increased insulin would serve to move circulating fats into storage, since there's limited blood glucose.

So, the bottom line? Really, YMMV - you could do a trial of going without ANY sweetener and see if you feel better or your weight loss is faster, or if there's no difference. Or you could decide you don't care either way, because you like a treat now & then and it's not a massive effect either way.
This was my main concern. I come from a family of diabetics; my three brothers have some form of diabetes and my mom went blind from diabetes related glaucoma. So would that make more or less carb sensitive? I'm thinking more, so maybe getting a blood sugar meter would be a good idea. So far, though, I have not tested positive for diabetes, Thank God!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
I find I had to be real careful with artificial sweetners. For some reason it would stall me out; but not diet cokes thank goodness

Also, many artificial sweetners still have a trace bit of carbs (especially the powder types) ... something like 1 gram per serving. And that can add up a lot if a person has tons of sweetner in coffee / tea, sugar free foods, etc.

Basically all you can do is track your weight and see what happens.
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post

This 'reaction' to the taste of sweet is no different from the 'thought' of food. Insulin will 'increase' for both.

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=...1986-03193-001

I can't and won't avoid thoughts of food (I do not obsess) and same for artificial sweeteners. Likely, there is a small 'reaction' but having lost 50 lbs. in a year and both using sweeteners and having thoughts of food did not seemingly, impeded those lbs. lost.

Last edited by clackley; 04-06-2011 at 06:02 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have an incredible sweet tooth, and I gave up all sweeteners (real and artificial) about a year ago because I realized that the 'taste' on anything sweet increased my appetite and stimulated that sweet tooth.

Without the taste at all, I now have no desire for sweet things. Abstaining from all sweeteners helped me keep my appetite in check and lose weight.

In maintenance, I will have an occasional dessert (once in about 3 months), and it tastes delicious, but I can stop there and have no desire for anything more.

I think this is all an individual thing. Effective weight management requires people to know themselves, how they react to specific foods, what their food issues are, etc. Only with self-understanding is long-term weight management possible.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
I've done a lot of reading and what the majority of what I read is this:

Stevia is actually good for you (I use Kal brand because it tastes best)

Splenda is relatively benign in your body, most don't have any insulin effect (I use it where I cannot use Stevia)

Aspartame causes insulin spikes in most people and is possibly a carcinogen (I avoid it)

Saccharin causes insulin spikes in most people and is probably not a carcinogen (I avoid it)

Of course, I've read other posts to the contrary, but from what I consider reasonably reputable sources, this is what the majority seem to say. But then again, I'm no nutrition scientist and I can only believe what I read.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Boomer View Post
I
Stevia is actually good for you (I use Kal brand because it tastes best)

Splenda is relatively benign in your body, most don't have any insulin effect (I use it where I cannot use Stevia)
Bobby
Splenda/sucralose is now proven to kill half the good gut bacteria you have, which you really need. And it is a pesticide by product.

Stevia helps make your insulin receptors more sensitive, which is an amazing benefit for all of us insulin resistance sufferers who are now fat because of it.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Splenda/sucralose is now proven to kill half the good gut bacteria you have, which you really need. And it is a pesticide by product.

Stevia helps make your insulin receptors more sensitive, which is an amazing benefit for all of us insulin resistance sufferers who are now fat because of it.
This is news to me. I wonder if you would be kind enough to provide substantiated evidence or at least an information source for your claim? Thank you very much.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Aspartame has not been proven as a carcinogen.

Splenda has not been proven to kill gut bacteria.

The only sweetener that research has proven is questionable is asesulfame-potassium, which had a small connection to cancer.

This is the thing, though: After watching Fathead and realizing how studies are funded, I now trust nothing!

All the natural health peeps are getting special interest money, and all the FDA peeps are getting special interest money.

Similar to the theory that Thimerasol causes autism, the artificial sweetener theories are impossible to solve. There are no neutral studies.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
My DH uses either Equal or Splenda in the packets most of the time, in his coffee or tea and drinks diet cokes and cold tea with Splenda. We have never seen a rise in his sugar because of it. His sugar stays normal and he is a diabetic who does test each day to make sure it stays normal. I use liquid Splenda but he prefers the packets. He finds it hard to get just the two drops he needs in his coffee and was always getting it too sweet.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FitnessWanabee
Stats: unfit/getting there/stud
WOE: Moderate everything
Start Date: Restart August 2012
I just read yesterday that sugar substitutes can trigger migraines. So watch out.
FitnessWanabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gristlequeen
Stats: 225/186/160
WOE: no sugar, no grains
Start Date: Rocktober 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I have an incredible sweet tooth, and I gave up all sweeteners (real and artificial) about a year ago because I realized that the 'taste' on anything sweet increased my appetite and stimulated that sweet tooth.

Without the taste at all, I now have no desire for sweet things. Abstaining from all sweeteners helped me keep my appetite in check and lose weight.
I'm in the same boat. My appetite increases tremendously with artificial sweeteners. I am now eating desserts only on the weekends and it seems to be keeping everything in check. I can go right back on plan Monday morning.
gristlequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I can use artificial sweetener in tea & it does not affect my appetite. However as soon as I start baking & eating goodies w/ artificial sweetener my appetite increases tremendously
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote