Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: John Paulson
Stats: Unknown, but I down to my first hole my belt!
WOE: "No Sugar, No Starch" Diet from Gary's Book
Start Date: Roughly December 2010 maybe more January
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
From my deep and longterm study of all things Aussie (OK, I used to watch Neighbours), a breky is a breakfast, and an arvo is an afternoon
One Kewpie doll for Dark Ginger!

Kanger Bangers and Kangaroo Sausages. The shops also had other kangaroo cuts at times.
John Paulson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
This is probably the most "famous" thread here for LC on the cheap. It's practically a texbook now: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...e-lowcarb.html

My quick list of super-cheap ideas:

Shop the dollar store. I've gotten some amazing finds there - feta cheese, string cheese, spam, full-fat salad dressing, sunflower seeds, pork rinds...

Focus on your love of all things related to chickens! Eggs are cheap & can be whipped into many different flavors depending on what you add to them. Buy a whole chicken, typically called a "fryer" and you can get so much out of it. Rub w/butter or olive oil, then roast it. Chop up the breast and add mayo & seasoning for some chicken salad. Eat the dark meat w/a veggie side. Then take the carcass - the whole thing bones & all - and simmer it for a few hours. Scoop everything out of the broth and hand-pick the tender meat from the bones, return it to the broth. Add garlic, finely diced onion, or a 99-cent bag of soup veggies from the frozen food section. That chicken will be only a few dollars and you'll get three meals for two people from it.

Good luck!
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sTaRiA
Stats: 68/60/55kg
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy_oz View Post
Ok I dissagree on the fruit and veg shops. You can get stuff waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper in there than in coles or woolies. They usually have great deals on whatever the wholesaler has a glut of that is in season. Woolies and coles are the routs when it comes to fresh produce IMO.

Perhaps you have been away but the goverment passed some legislation a year or so ago making coles and woolies keep static prices throughout their stores. So no longer can an outter suburb shop be cheaper than an inner one. There are a few exceptions, like Alice Springs where they can charge whatever they want due to freight costs.

The tip on chickens is great. Except when the stores are open till midnight (used to manage woolies deli).

And yup a rasher is a portion of bacon, but our bacon here is totally different to the yank or canadian ones. We get the lovely lean round end attached to the streaky bit, and our bacon is generally a foot long or more for a rasher . Aussie bacon rules.
It's nice to talk to a fellow Aussie. Sometimes I feel out numbered here

Um... so what does US and Canadian bacon look like? I thought it was all the same! Someone raid the fridge and post a pic for me!!

Well I'm very central (Sydney) and try my very hardest to avoid the corner shop coz it's soooo expensive, but I'm a sucker for personalised service and they know my name so I do go there a bit!

We have just found an AMAZING greengrocer in the last few days and we walked around the shop for about half an hour drooling over all the wonderful fresh food optons. It was a bit torturous though as they had so much lovely fruit that I wanted to just gobble right up! The quality was sooo much better than woolies (the tomatoes were actually RED!) and it actually turned out to be cheaper too. The veggies we got were to die for. We ate them all tonight whth a roast chicken!

sTaRiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
And yup a rasher is a portion of bacon, but our bacon here is totally different to the yank or canadian ones. We get the lovely lean round end attached to the streaky bit, and our bacon is generally a foot long or more for a rasher . Aussie bacon rules.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Thanks for writing this. I too am always interested in other cultures and knew what a rasher was from the UK people...and after reading what the OP posted that she scored for her $11.50 I thought "wow, it cost a lot of money for 10 slices of bacon"! Now i understand that one Aussie rasher is at least the size of 2 slices of American bacon. That's no so bad pricewise, and bacon isn't exactly "cheap" here either... I was trying to wrap my mind around what i would do with 10 slices of bacon! lol!
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #35
Noah and Wyatt's Mommy

Gallery: Cryssi
Stats: 316.0/316.0/130
Start Date: 6/23/14
Not my pics but:

Raw:

Cooked:
Cryssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Ok. Here is a pic of what American bacon looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3172794-frying-bacon.jpg (17.8 KB, 20 views)
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rosetta
Stats: 198/149/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July, 2002
Coupons! Eggs, ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey, frozen veggies, and eating leftovers, don't waste anything. Add one inexpensive meat item that needs to cook either in the crookpot or the pressure cooker to become tender and stretch it. Eat lots of salad, shop around to get a good price on some lettuce and eat a lot of it, it's filling and can help fill in around meat. Even if you eat a little extra lettuce, I find it doesn't make you gain if you eat it plain. It's a whole lot better than giving into carbs to eat extra veggies and salad with less meat (I'm not saying no meat, just less).

Reached Goal 135 lbs. (11-14-2003)

*Successfully maintained at or under my 135 goal from 2003 until 2008! After that, up & down.
Rosetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tonyalaya
Stats: 267/187/160 36 yr 5'8"
WOE: 30 carbs > day > 70 protein
Start Date: 1/24/11
This is the bacon in my fridge. It is not typical retail packaging, it's a food service pack. (15 lbs. Oh yeah!) I just measured the bacon and it's 11 inches long.

tonyalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sTaRiA
Stats: 68/60/55kg
Start Date: March 2011
Wow that looks tasty! I like that part the best anyway
sTaRiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
My diet is so bland but have been eating this way for along time... chicken or ground beef... Go shopping in the morning when they mark down meats for quick sale, buy, and freeze in individual portions.
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisa Lou
Stats: 330/195.8/145
Start Date: 4-03/ restart 9-8-11
I'm getting in on this late, so I hope you're in a better position now. I would plant a garden....even a small garden would help. Heck, even just having cucumbers growing up a fence would be good.
Lisa Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rochester
Stats: 373/339/199.9
WOE: low budget low carb - smarter, cleaner
Start Date: Back on the saddle January 15th, 2013
another way to go would be to buy a large-ish bottle of sleeping pills. Take just enough to keep you snoozing 'til payday
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweepy
Stats: 157
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restarted 6/14
subscribing
sweepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #44
CSH
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CSH
Stats: 281/265/180
Start Date: 02-24-14
I like to take "cheap" cuts of beef/pork and make them delicious with the right cooking. Either in a cockpot or oven I'll slow braise stuff like beef ribs or ox tails. I usually only add something like canned tomatoes or mushrooms and a cup of beef stock and a splash of red wine. Toward the end of cooking, stir in a couple tablespoons of cream cheese, and it makes the sauce/gravy so rich and yummy. To avoid thickeners like corn starch or flour, remove your roast or what have you and reduce the sauce by simmering for 20-30 minutes. It will intensify the flavour and make it thicker. You can make a great dish for $1-3 a pound, versus $4-6.

We also buy our veggies and the fruit/veg market because it's so much cheaper. We can buy flats of things like peppers and kale and make homemade hot sauce and kale chips. A bag of kale in my grocery store is almost 5 bucks, and when baked down for chips it shrinks and you're left with nothing. Pre low carb I would NEVER pay 5 dollars for potato chips, so I'll get 4/5 bundles for a buck a piece.

I so make my own jerky so I can not use sugar in the brine. I don't have a fancy dehydrator, I just use my oven and some cooking cooling racks. Totally sugar free, and so delicious. I get 2/3 large ziplocks that last through the week.

I've also made my own nut milks with nuts I've bought in bulk. My own nut butters too. My own sauces. And my homemade ceaser dressing is almost carb free and delicious and about 1/3 of the price of a good ceaser dressing from bottle.

I find a lot of it is planning and prep. Also lettuce is really easy to grow and it's cheap. I've had enough pots before to pull a new head every day, then immediately replant, and in a few weeks you have more. Keep rotating. A bag if seeds at Home Depot is 1.99 and it lasts forever and the pots are small. I had a shelf in the yard and they were numbered to keep track of them. We could easily go through a $2-5 bags per DAY, and that's what I spend on a few bags that last months. We alloce our salad in this house. You can do it on a patio too. Lettuce is SO easy to grow, even if you kill everything else you can grow lettuce! The initial start up is the most expensive, probably not more than a months worth of bags.

Last edited by CSH; 03-08-2014 at 09:24 PM..
CSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
Start Date: Restart January 2014
You have almond flour and eggs... make almond pancakes. They are very filling.
1/4 c. almond flour
1/4 - 1/2 t. baking powder
2 T. oil
1 egg
salt
1 T. flavored syrup,if you want

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or make 2-3 in a pan.
JanetA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3kidsandasheltie
Stats: 230(highest)/110/110
WOE: low carb
I would get ground beef(family pack, marked down) and a block of cream cheese. I do this often fry the beef, drain it, put it back in pan and mix in cream cheese. I can eat on this for a week, if both dh and I eat it will last us 4-5 days. Sometimes I will add a pack of taco seasoning, so yummy.
3kidsandasheltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
Do you not have a place whereyou could gt some food for free. Like a food bank or a church?? Over here we have them and they come in handy when something happens and you need some food and have very little or no money. You might want to check into it for next time. Good Luck.
Usually these places just have a standard bag for everyone and on average it's very high carb. They try to get as much food as possible for the least cost... so it tends to end up high carb.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post
This is probably the most "famous" thread here for LC on the cheap. It's practically a texbook now: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...e-lowcarb.html

My quick list of super-cheap ideas:

Shop the dollar store. I've gotten some amazing finds there - feta cheese, string cheese, spam, full-fat salad dressing, sunflower seeds, pork rinds...

Focus on your love of all things related to chickens! Eggs are cheap & can be whipped into many different flavors depending on what you add to them. Buy a whole chicken, typically called a "fryer" and you can get so much out of it. Rub w/butter or olive oil, then roast it. Chop up the breast and add mayo & seasoning for some chicken salad. Eat the dark meat w/a veggie side. Then take the carcass - the whole thing bones & all - and simmer it for a few hours. Scoop everything out of the broth and hand-pick the tender meat from the bones, return it to the broth. Add garlic, finely diced onion, or a 99-cent bag of soup veggies from the frozen food section. That chicken will be only a few dollars and you'll get three meals for two people from it.

Good luck!
I think it is important to be sensitive to the fact that people are writing in different areas, and even across the United States, there is a vast difference in food prices and even availability of certain types of stores (for instance, in poorer regions of some urban areas, access to grocery stores can be a problem because grocery stores won't operate there). I think it is important to be sensitive to people's circumstances and to acknowledge that not everyone has the same resources available (such as dollar stores, cheap meat, or 99-cent soup veggies) - this helps to be appreciative for what we do have.

In this case, the original poster did say a chicken costs $10 where she is...

Last edited by Avicenna; 03-10-2014 at 11:13 AM..
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote