LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Colin Dunn
Stats: 216/194/145
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Start Date: 05/27/2013
Can TOO LOW carbs cause a stall?

Can eating too few grams of carbs cause weight loss to stall out?

I've hit the end of two weeks of Induction. Over the course of two weeks I lost 7 lbs. However, 5-6 of those pounds came in the first week. The second week has been more like 1-2 pounds.

My carb counts were higher the first week than the second, which makes me wonder (besides the obvious water-weight explanation): Does eating too few carbs cause a stall? Do I need to increase from 7-10 net carbs back up to the full 20?

I'm finding that if I do strict Induction eating - 2-3 cups of salad greens, lots of protein, a little bit of cheese - that my net carb counts for the day are coming in this range.

Goals:
- Complete Gateway to 8K
- Reach 175 lbs. by 12/31/2013
Colin Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I don't know the answer to this, but I want to say 'no'...it doesn't cause a stall. A stall is technically no movement in the scale with no change in habits, medicines, or medical status for a minimum of 4 weeks. It's very, very common to hit a plateau around weeks 2 or 3. Your body has to adjust to the rapid weight loss. Hang in there. Why are you not eating 20 g per day? Why so low? KUTGW and hang in there!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
A stall is usually considered 6 weeks with no movement on the scales I am a slow loser.. I think I lost 7 lbs the first 2 weeks on induction.. then my body took a break and I didnt lose anything for 4 weeks.. I hung in there... if your doing your plan the way you know your supposed to be then all is well.. give your body time to adjust it will catch up!
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I know that a couple or three days with no weight loss doesn't qualify as a real stall, but just wondering if I needed to raise my carbs a little bit.

As for why I didn't reach 20, it probably has to do with vegetable portions. I've been getting all my veggies in the form of salads, using vegetables on the "salad vegetables" list (greens, mushrooms, radishes, celery, etc.) and the "other vegetables" list (i.e., tomatoes). A salad made like this has only a handful of net carbs.

I may get a few more grams of carbs that are hard to track ... trace carbs in iced tea and diet soda. So I think I could be getting up to 3-4 extra grams of carbs this way that aren't showing up in the numbers.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Feelin'Great!
I'm no expert, but I've been reading lately that we don't need ANY carbs from our diets. Our bodies can make whatever carbs are needed for energy from the proteins and fats we eat. I'm still researching this claim, but as I read about it, it's making sense to me.

I just started reading the book, "Life Without Bread" and in it it explains about the essential amino acids (which I already was aware of) and essential fats that we MUST get from our diet. However, there are no findings that prove there are essential carbohydrates. (Essential = must get from one's diet)

So, if this is true, you can't be TOO LOW in carbs. But again, I'm no expert! Just some food for thought...

The advice you've gotten here about what a stall actually is, is good advice. Patience Grasshopper!

Last edited by Feelin'Great!; 03-17-2011 at 08:03 PM..
Feelin'Great! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
No. While the main focus on a LC diet is "carbs" or "carb" counting, the real underlying process underneath it all is the release of insulin, which is triggered by the carbs.

More dietary carb intake means more insulin.

Also, tracking weight is not a good idea to base your assumptions of whether you are progressing, stalling, or whatever. Besides water weight, there is also, fecal/food, bone, and muscle weight to consider,and even slight changes in these can mislead you as to your "weight" progress.

Stick to meansurments and body fat%, and even then, a trend line over time, rather than any one measurement at a specific time is required to determine your progress.

Journal everything, weight/take measurments often and chart them, Strength train at least twice a week, drink lots of water, take vitamin supplements, eat less than you burn, research everything you put in your mouth, stay disciplined, and set realistic expectations (like 1.5 lbs per week loss, expect some sticks and bumps, and plummets) and you will do well.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunn View Post
I know that a couple or three days with no weight loss doesn't qualify as a real stall, but just wondering if I needed to raise my carbs a little bit.
Hi Colin…
Are you getting hungry - or perhaps I should ask are you finding yourself hungry after you eat?

If you are running around hungry you need to increase fats or carbs or both.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
IMHO:
Those that eat very low carb might also eat too many calorically dense foods to feel full and then yup I see a stall happening.

JMHO.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I have tried VLC. Unfortunately, I did not have any greater saiety and experienced no weight loss. I don't see the benefit.

You have your whole life to figure out your formula. We are all different; you will find your way and what works for you if you keep with it.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
very few people can lose more than 1-2 lb a week after the first week. you have probably read the hundreds of people saying they lost nothing the second week, or third, or even gained. I think this is the most common post here. you are losing fat now. no need to change your routine. if you don't lose at least a lb. a week over the next month, you need to look at it again though. good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
You're going to get answer for different people--it's one of the "your mileage may vary" type things. For me--yes, going too low will cause me to stall as will going to high. If I'm not mistaken, either Drs. Eades or Dr. Atkins said unless you have a severe metabolic problem, there is really no benefit in going less than 20.

Then again, you have people on 0 carbs. I have no problem with that and they have to do whatever works for them. But, my question is--can that be sustained for life? I like the advice Larry always gives--this is for life and going a little bit slower isn't going to make a big difference.

I did the same--lost 7.5 lbs the first 2 weeks--then just tapered off. My goal is to lose 1.5 lbs per week but my cycles are messing that up. My goal also is to keep my carbs up high enough to lose because in the past, lowering both carbs and calories resulted in a messed up metabolism for me
Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: starry sky
Are you stressed out? Are you getting plenty of good sleep?

Your body might be adjusting to the rapid loss and a change in fuel since it needs to burn the fat on your body instead of burning incoming carbs (and storing the rest of the carbs as fat for later). Just make sure you get plenty of rest and manage your stress levels. Stick to what your doing and don't give up!
starry sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizzy K
Stats: -11
WOE: Ditched Atkins for Paleo. NEVER turning back.
Start Date: May 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
very few people can lose more than 1-2 lb a week after the first week. you have probably read the hundreds of people saying they lost nothing the second week, or third, or even gained. I think this is the most common post here. you are losing fat now. no need to change your routine. if you don't lose at least a lb. a week over the next month, you need to look at it again though. good luck!
True!
Stick with it! It's sooo frustrating when the scales don't move as quickly as you like, and its very tempting to tweak things. The best course of action though is to just stick with it and in the long run it will pay off. Good luck!
Lizzy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Ravenrose managed to say exactly what I wanted to say, but put it sooo much better!
Great post hun!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I've done 30-60 carbs, 30 carbs and now I'm eating less than 15 carbs per day. It hasn't made much difference in how fast or slow I lose.

Over the last 15 months, I've had periods where I lost 15 pounds in one month and then nothing for awhile...or 5 pounds in a week and then nothing. It has all averaged out to about a pound a week. Since I'm insulin resistant, I'll take it happily.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Johnnydel
Start Date: Jan 1, 2011
I dont know the answer to your question,. i havnmt been doing this long enough to hit an official stall.

But if your not losing right now try something a little different. Eating a few more carbs a day isnt gonna hurt you, just get them from more veggies.

I found when i upped my carb count I started losing again but everybody is different. I was stuck at 186 for weeks, then started eating more vegitibles, introduced almond milk instead of just drinking water, even had a grapefruit one day, and a few strawberries (my first fruit in quite some time). Got down to 182.6 by the next week and a half so maybe give it a shot.
Johnnydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracyann71
Stats: 166/102/99
WOE: vlc
First of all I don't think you have stalled and I think sometime next week you will have a whoosh. Remember that zero carb is often higher in fat and therefore higher in calories which at some point or another are going to matter. Just keep doing what your doing and see it as a way of life rather than a temporary change just to get rid of the excess. It will work for you, good luck and congrats on the decision to go low carb!!
tracyann71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
People just starting LC do usually dump many pounds of water in the first week, then the next week it starts tapering off. 1-2 lbs loss per week is completely reasonable; unless you have a lot of weight to lose it's hard to sustain a long term loss more than that rate.

I'm going out on a limb a bit here, but my general impression is that I have seen posts where people claimed they had to up their carbs a bit to continue losing. Now it could be coincidence, because many people get nervous and start altering things if they don't see weight loss in a couple days, so whether the loss would have resumed if the plan had not been changed at all is not known.

But from other articles, I'm thinking something to do with insulin resistance in the liver could be an issue in those cases. So if the liver is pumping out too much glucose for some reason, maybe upping carbs gets a bit more insulin into the system and keeps the liver from churning away too much. Just some rambling.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Something's wrong...

Disappointing start to the day. I was expecting a WHOOSH down to 200, but instead was up another pound today, to 203, for no apparent reason. That has reversed all my progress for the second week. Must be water / food retention as my calories came in just under 2,000 for the day. DietPower estimated that I had a calorie deficit.

I'm beginning to wonder if the ground beef on the taco bar at Souper!Salad! has hidden carbs (sugar or some starch added to it for flavoring). So today I'll do BBQ for lunch instead. (I looked for nutrition info on their Web site, but nothing was published.)

Over the weekend, I'll be drinking a lot less (if any) diet soda. I know that has caused issues for some people. I get diet soda from a fountain ... I've read that fountain soda is sweetened with saccharin (OK on Atkins) instead of NutraSweet (aspartame). If aspartame is used in fountain sodas now, I'm going to have to find an alternative.

I did push myself a little bit with the cardio yesterday (45 min. on a treadmill, varying intensity but did strive for a challenge). But I've been doing regular exercise since Day 1 so I wouldn't expect dramatic changes in body water retention, muscle gain, etc. in such a short time.

Last edited by Colin Dunn; 03-18-2011 at 06:57 AM..
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Ack! Taco meat has been my enemy!!! If you are eating taco meat that is pre-seasoned, they add sugar to the spices. You have to season it yourself. I find it soooo annoying because I love tacos!! I gain 2 lbs every single time I eat taco meat that I haven't seasoned, and it takes me 2 weeks to lose it. This could be your problem. So sorry!!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
It would surprise me at all if yes there is sugar added to that taco bar meat. I mean heck Arby's puts it on their roast beef for crying out loud. Basically any prepared food, especially at a restaurant, is suspect for it.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunn View Post
Disappointing start to the day. I was expecting a WHOOSH down to 200, but instead was up another pound today, to 203, for no apparent reason. That has reversed all my progress for the second week. Must be water / food retention as my calories came in just under 2,000 for the day. DietPower estimated that I had a calorie deficit.

I'm beginning to wonder if the ground beef on the taco bar at Souper!Salad! has hidden carbs (sugar or some starch added to it for flavoring). So today I'll do BBQ for lunch instead. (I looked for nutrition info on their Web site, but nothing was published.)

Over the weekend, I'll be drinking a lot less (if any) diet soda. I know that has caused issues for some people. I get diet soda from a fountain ... I've read that fountain soda is sweetened with saccharin (OK on Atkins) instead of NutraSweet (aspartame). If aspartame is used in fountain sodas now, I'm going to have to find an alternative.

I did push myself a little bit with the cardio yesterday (45 min. on a treadmill, varying intensity but did strive for a challenge). But I've been doing regular exercise since Day 1 so I wouldn't expect dramatic changes in body water retention, muscle gain, etc. in such a short time.
(1) get one of the special scales that measures your body fat %, its better than focusing on weight.

(2) Don't eat anything that dosn't have nutrition information on it. Putting together your own food is best.

(3) If you need Soda, get some Zevia IMO Healthy sweetners are pretty much limited to Stevia and Erythritol (Truvia)

I would avoid Splenda, Aspartame, Maltitol, Acsefulame Potassium, etc....

(4) Also don't forget to do strength training, as this will help prevent loss of muscle mass durring your weight loss which loss of muscle would also decrease your metabolism...
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mhouck2003
Stats: 248/203/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restarted April, 2012
I understand what you are going through and I wanted to add:

How much water are you drinking? Diet soda has a lot of sodium to it and if you are working out and not losing but gaining it could very well be water (aka lack of enough water).

HTH
mhouck2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Maybe it is water weight...

I didn't think about the sodium in diet soda. Salt = water retention.

Last time I did Atkins, I was losing steadily and frequently had Diet-Rite soda (sweetened with Splenda). This time it's been Diet Coke from a fountain at a gas station (cheaper than bottles out of a vending machine) ... I fill up a BIG cup that lasts all day.

This weekend will be a good test if diet soda is interfering with weight loss. I drink a lot less diet soda on weekends as I'm close to my iced tea supply at home. I usually drink that unsweetened, or with stevia if I want sweetened. So that would have no sodium, and fewer trace carbs than sodas sweetened with sucralose or saccharin.

I'm also doing weight training at least twice per week.

Next time I'm at Souper!Salad! I will ask about that taco meat. I'd hate to give that up unless I have to (due to added starch/sugar) as it is the only hot food item there that I can eat. The rest is carby ... soups, pizza, bread, etc. I think I can handle small traces of sugar, but if significant quantities are present (enough to give it a carb count) I'll have to give it up.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Ouch, that Zevia soda is expensive ... $6 for a 6-pack, plus shipping! I'd be forced to give up soda entirely at those prices.

Now that stevia is a "legal" sweetener, I wonder if Vernor's will return to their original stevia-based formulation?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mark
Hey Colin, dont over think this, stick to your plan and relax. I have been stuck at 180 now for 4 weeks, I go down a pound or two, then right back up, but I have noticed that though I am not losing weight, my closhes are fitting much looser, and I feel great.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady View Post
IMHO:
Those that eat very low carb might also eat too many calorically dense foods to feel full and then yup I see a stall happening.

JMHO.
I agree. I have to really watch my calories to get the scale to move and that means eating more veggies and less meat. So I've moved on to balancing my scale. More carbs - a bit less fat = less calories and scale moves.

Another thing diet soda makes me hungrier.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suelina
ive been wondering the same thing about the carbs

I just find it hard to get the carbs in. I eat eggs and bacon or sausage in the morning, usually two eggs and 3-4 slices of bacon. For lunch I have 4 slices of ham and three slices of swiss cheese. My husband and I work different hours and the last two days I have gotten home from school a little hungry, so I ate two deviled eggs (egg halves, so two pieces not four!!) . After that, I did not want anything else. Do I need to MAKE myself eat some salad?
suelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suelina View Post
I just find it hard to get the carbs in. I eat eggs and bacon or sausage in the morning, usually two eggs and 3-4 slices of bacon. For lunch I have 4 slices of ham and three slices of swiss cheese. My husband and I work different hours and the last two days I have gotten home from school a little hungry, so I ate two deviled eggs (egg halves, so two pieces not four!!) . After that, I did not want anything else. Do I need to MAKE myself eat some salad?
What plan are you following? The Atkins plan says that MOST of your carbs are supposed to be from non starchy veggies.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Colin Dunn,

I know it's hard, but try not to stress too much about the daily weights.

There is a resurrected thread somewhere about this by TaDa.

Here.

Have you ever read Why The Scale Lies? Google the phrase.

Follow your plan; trust the science.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote