Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sagelady2
Stats: 280/263/140
WOE: WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 2011
I have been off gluten for over a month now. Within a week my swelling went down in my legs and ankles. I could tell a major difference in how I felt as well. Last Friday night I took my son out to dinner at Applebees and had the Asiago and shrimp steak dinner with broccoli. The next day my knees and hands (joints from RA) were swollen and puffy. I'm just starting to get over it. Of course, I'm also coming down with a nasty cold, but it was miserable Saturday and Sunday.

You would figure that menu item would be safe, but the cheese must have had flour in it of some sort. Sheesh. Next time, plain steak. No frillies on it.

Even if I never do a low carb another day in my life, I will never go back to wheat. This is just amazing - the difference in me. When I up my carbs to over 40 I get bloaty. Not like before at 300 or so a day, I looked and felt 9 months pregnant. But, I feel rotten enough that I have been trying to keep it around 20g a day. I get up there with veggies and sometimes a bit much on the blueberries or strawberries. Wish I could handle fruit.
sagelady2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
If I have gluten my heart races, I feel lethargic, I have swelling of face, hands, and feet...not bad but obvious to me. I can even had nasal and throat congestion. It can lead to joint swelling and pain if I have too much. It sounds like you are intolerant of gluten...
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMeee
Stats: 210/162/145 (5'6")
WOE: Lindora Lean for Life
Start Date: September 2010
My husband gets knots in his back when he eats a lot of bread products. He knows now, not to indulge or he will pay for it the next day. Does anyone else have this problem?
MiniMeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
My situation is similar to Sancie's. It seems the longer I go without grains, the more intense my reaction is when I 'forget' and eat even a small amount. I'm also a diabetic and show no allergies/sensitivities to grains or gluten but they absolutely have a negative effect on me.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Obviously the majority of the folks here have some degree of trouble with carbs, or at least *excess* carbs, and some/many have at least some degree of sensitivity to gluten. Certainly this doesn't bother many of us, however, and isn't a problem for lots of people out there in the 'real' world.

This is a great place to find others who can identify with a problem we are having and help us to verify that XYZ is the cause of a problem for us. So if you carb out on the weekends and have troubles on Mondays only, that could certainly be the reason. It might be a higher level of carbohydrate, it might be only that you have indulged in more of the simple carbs on the weekend than you allow in your diet during the week, or it could be a sensitivity to gluten in any wheat flour product/ingredients in the food you eat on the weekend.

Hope you get it all figured out. That would be quite unpleasant and certainly lead me to trying to put my finger on exactly what the food is that is behind my problem. If it is indeed food related.

Wish I could help you. I'm not one who abstains from carbs at the lower levels that many here do, and I never notice any problems from the level I eat at. Hope you can get to the bottom of this mystery.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMeee View Post
My husband gets knots in his back when he eats a lot of bread products. He knows now, not to indulge or he will pay for it the next day. Does anyone else have this problem?
I get this in upper back/shoulder blades, when I am going into keto, or popping out of then back into; lasts 2-3 days then fine.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #37
IDT
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IDT
Stats: 152/139/125 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Atkins 2004
I don't tend to go off plan but I feel fine after carbs like fruit or even sugar. I feel horrible after wheat. I wake with what feels like a cross between a hangover and a flu.
IDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tracya
I always feel awful after a hardcore cheat.

Makes me wonder, though... do I feel MORE awful? Or is that how I used to feel all the time?

No wonder I ate all the time!!
tracya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxbane View Post
I get this too, as well feel irritable/cranky.

I think though that this is the result of comming back into ketosis, which Dr. Eades explains as your body is using the resources (components used to make dopamine/seratonin/other things) normally used for other purposes (durring which you would otherwise feel normal) in order to produce extra enzymes that help in the metabolization of fat (Which can take a few days).

Regardless, I think it is the "change" of eating styles that causes the pains to the body. If it were the actual foods (sensitivities) then you feel the same way the whole time if you weren't eating LC. "Change" seems to be the trigger....

This. What the OP described sounds exactly like someone re-inducting after kicking themselves out of ketosis after eating high carb foods. And if you do it once a week, you'll just end up bouncing around.

Look at it this way- you work 2-3 days to get into ketosis, go through the "induction flu" and then spend 2 days in ketosis, burning fat. But then you have a day/day and a half of cheating. That's 3-5 meals full of carbs. So then you spend another 2-3 days with induction flu, feeling like crap and trying to get rid of the water weight, spend another 2 days in ketosis, only to do it all again the next weekend? IMHO it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

GOAL: LOSE FIFTY BEFORE I'M THIRTY

Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enna1477
Stats: 255/145/160
WOE: Self designed LC
Start Date: November 2010
I agree with Lady N - it's best to stick with low carbs fare on those "overboard" days. But watch out for the sugar alcohols - they can be as bad as refined carbs as far as impact to your system! Sometimes I can handle them and sometimes it sounds like my guts are screaming in pain.
enna1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #41
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Fortunately, or unfortunately, returning to high carb never made me sick.

After 11 months of 30 or below carbs I caved and ate a pound of cherries.

I expected I would get sick. ... But all I 'got' was very happy. lol.
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
On a rare cheat, I usually head for grains, which I 'miss' the most. If I eat too much bread, or a sub roll I actually have chest congestion, extreme bloating, swelling of my hands, and I feel like a truck has hit me. I get the brain fog, general malaise from all carbs, sugars and grains.
I feel like total crap. Remembering how bad that feels is a good way to stay on track.
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
You may want to make your cheats only one type of food to check sensitivity. Potato, soy, and 'high sugar' bother me. By 'high' I mean a very sweet dessert. Wheat in moderation doesn't bother me. Fries or chips make me feel horrible.

If you feel the need to cheat regularly you may want to look at climbing the carb ladder so that you can have a bigger varity. I tolerate small amounts of fruit and it helps me to feel less deprived. Some can lose with 30, 40, or even 50 carbs a day.

Sounds like sensitivity (allergy) more than carbs too me.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #44

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyGirl View Post
Okay, so i have been doing induction since the middle of January. Every weekend I usually give myself a day or a day and a half to cheat. I don't go hog wild binging, but I do enjoy a little bread, some sweets, some fries and occassionally a tall beer. Every monday I get back on the low carb horse, but I FEEL TERRIBLE. I have a dull headache, no appetite, foggy brain, beating heart and worse thing is the muscle stiffness in my upper back and neck. It happens every.single.time. Sounds like results of a crazy wild party weekend right? I promise, its not. Does anyone else feel like this? Do I have an allergy to carbs now? Diabetes? I have no idea. Why such a reaction?
It could be several different things, to my thinking.

1. -- Yes, you could well be especially sensitive to carbs, at least those that are the *simple* carbs of refined sugar and flour, and some of the high glycemic index foods, like white potatoes. Some folks are.

So while the majority of the world doesn't have any problem with those foods, we at LCF are probably a larger proportion of the 'sensitive' people gathered here, since we often have weight issues because of our response to these kinds of carbs and our problems with portion control when we're faced with these foods.

2. -- You might even be sensitive or allergic to wheat, since that is probably present on many of your cheat weekends. Perhaps you even have some celiac disease.

Certainly if you do really have this sensitivity to wheat, you'd have some symptoms of it. Although, I personally think there are a lot more people who make this claim for themselves than is actually the case, but only you could find out for certain, for yourself.

3. -- I think the far more likely thing that is happening is that you are causing your body to cycle in and out of ketosis, week after week after week. You are making your body cycle into carb/glucose burning mode and then throwing the switch to turn it on to fat burning mode... then throwing the switch back to glucose burning and then back to fat burning...

For most people, this takes place pretty smoothly. But for some of us, it doesn't. And we suffer various physically unpleasant symptoms during the time we are making this switch over. We call it *Induction Flu*, and some of the symptoms feel pretty flu-like. LOL

I think you must be one of those people who have a tough time during the switch over to fat burning mode after the carb/glucose is used up, but you are making yourself go through this week after week after week by your carby cheating on the weekends. And you're just one of the sensitive ones.

But I think what you're sensitive to is a lot more the switch over and Induction Flu than to the actual carbs themselves.

So, you will probably want to address this somehow in the future, rather than have to face it forever! You might be a good candidate for a slightly higher carb level diet, so that you don't have to go through this *now you get carbs/now you don't* physical reaction. That way you will allow some bit of carbs into your diet on a regular basis, but not go hog wild with them, so as to avoid this in-out, on-off cycling. Or perhaps something like JUDDD where you can include any foods you want to with nothing off limits, but you control your calories with one Down Day followed by (mostly) unrestricted calories on the following Up Day.

Just my thoughts offered to you. Just sounds to me like what you are sensitive to is not the carbs, as such, as much as the switching up of the carb/fat fuels you give your body to operate on.

Last edited by SoHappy; 04-18-2011 at 08:20 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
I try to add in a higher carb meal/day about once every 7-10 days (for physical and psychological advantages), but what I have personally found is that if I keep the carbs non-grain, I have far less lingering effects (mainly water retention) the following day(s). I have no real sensatives to sugar/carbs and no medical issues that prevent me from consuming them. I know this is not the case for all.

Perhaps try keeping your carb-ups to mainly fruits, higher carb dairy (fat free frozen yogurt...YUMMM), higher carb veggies and the such. Cutting back the time of your splurge may help a bit too... again, these are merely suggestions as what I have found works for ME!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I have only "suffered" from eating HC this week. But I drank beer 3 nights in a row - and I'm usually a once or twice a month person. SO I woke up on day 4 with that sluggish and achy feeling you describe. I immediately attributed it to dehydration - I've always gotten sluggish and achy when I exercise too much w/o adequate water. And if you think about carbs making you bloat, it's highly possible that your body is trying to retain water and thus being sluggish.

I just offer it up as another idea. I'm like you, I am not an "all or nothing" person. I prefer moderate eating. I've never done diets before so I am new to all this. I do go out for dinner and movie once a month with friends and enjoy a regular dinner/beer/popcorn. Most of the time, it doesn't even show up on the scale...tho I'm sure it's slowed my losses!

Hugs,

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Interesting; no one mentioned candida in this thread.

My "instinct" here is that since a low carb diet gives the candida less to feed on, when you suddenly add some sugar during "cheats", they go into a feeding frenzy and multiply overnight...making you feel utterly horrible. You go back to low-carb, they start to die down, you start to feel better...then you re-feed them & start the cycle over again.

Some people have a better balance of intestinal flora, perhaps explaining (along with other factors like food allergies, etc) the difference in reaction & recovery from "cheats".
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassieladyAZ
Stats: 171/143.6/133 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: Feb.2010
If I let myself (when Im being good at my WOE) have a treat that is small and in-frequent Im usually ok. But, when I give in to a whole day or two of carb overload, Im DONE! I feel awful!
SassieladyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
I havent felt any of these symptoms, but a close friend of mine started Atkins last November and in the summer (last June or July) she would sometimes have "cheat" food (ice cream, alcohol, sweetened coffee drinks) and like clockwork, she would alway end up sick to her stomach and throwing up after eating them.

I think once you take carbs out of your diet, you just naturally become more sensitive to them--and maybe it just affects some people worse than others.

Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddailey320 View Post
I try to add in a higher carb meal/day about once every 7-10 days (for physical and psychological advantages), but what I have personally found is that if I keep the carbs non-grain, I have far less lingering effects (mainly water retention) the following day(s). I have no real sensatives to sugar/carbs and no medical issues that prevent me from consuming them. I know this is not the case for all.

Perhaps try keeping your carb-ups to mainly fruits, higher carb dairy (fat free frozen yogurt...YUMMM), higher carb veggies and the such. Cutting back the time of your splurge may help a bit too... again, these are merely suggestions as what I have found works for ME!
I think you've offered up a wonderful idea! I know for a fact that it's the grains that make me feel the worst.
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gabla13
Stats: 148/136/120
Start Date: February 18, 2014
I am definitely feeling the same thing you are! I have been doing low carb for over a month now, cheated yesterday and feel TERRIBLE today. my stomach hurts and my head hurts. no appetite at all. im wondering if im just getting sick or maybe it has to do with this. ive cheated before and didn't have the same results but it was different foods I ate those times. I did atkins for about 8 months some time ago and I remember cheating causing terrible cramps and diarrhea (for me personally) so I think in some people its common and in others not so much.

im going to get back on track this week and hopefully by tomorrow or Wednesday this feeling will pass!
gabla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
No problems here so far....When I feel I need a free meal or a sm...treat (like 1/2 bag of popcorn at the movies yesterday) I just have it but I get right back on my next LC meal. I don't get carried away and eat all day off track, just one small meal or treat and then I now don't even eat all of it...I know the things I can not get carried away with...Like Chicken Fried steak with FF and gravy...for that is a big NO NO for me right now.....I think I need this for me then I don't get to bored with my WOE and just give up...My mind always thinks of food I would enjoy having but I just stop and talk to myself and know that it is not good for me....I plan ahead just in case I do get that craving with an LC treat....I plan and stay ready ....lol I don't let those scales own me...

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...

Last edited by ladyinlove56; 03-17-2014 at 09:44 AM..
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
No problems here....When I feel I need a free meal or a sm...treat (like 1/2 bag of popcorn at the movies yesterday) I just have it but I get right back on my next LC meal. I don't get carried away and eat all day off track just one meal and then I don't need to eat it all...I think I need this for me then I don't get to bored with my WOE and just give up...My mind always thinks of food I would enjoy having but I just stop and talk to myself and know that it is not good for me....I plan ahead just in case I do get that craving with an LC treat..I know my limits that I can not have like my favorite Chicken Fried Steak, FF and gravy...When I feel I need that little off track meal...I don't pig out ...I just try to enjoy the flavor and now I don't even eat all of it so that is a great feeling...I am always planning my next LC meals and treat...I haven't had any snack sat night except (a diet coke or flavored water) for the month or eaten anything after 5:30 pm . Everyone here is different...so this is what works for me...

Last edited by ladyinlove56; 03-17-2014 at 09:50 AM..
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #54

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I ate off plan for three or four days during my pregnancy when I gave into the cravings. Physically, it had zero effect. Mentally? I was a lunatic.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyN View Post
I get very sick. Now my indulgences are low carb and gluten free! I only indulge in low carb goodies. I can't have sugar or grains so I usually indulge in some low carb cheesecake, peanut butter cookies, fudge etc. things I don't eat on a regular basis. I always make my own birthday treat. This year it is the Banana split cake!

I suggest changing the types of indulgences. I am viewing this as a way of eating for life, so I dont "go off plan" per se.
I agree with LadyN. Instead of cheating with carbs and sugar why not try 'cheating' with low carb desserts instead? There's nothing like a low carb cheesecake with an almost flour crust to make you feel like you're indulging! Or zucchini cake with cream cheese icing! Or a chocolate dessert made with coconut cream from the can of coconut milk-it tastes exactly like icing. I've always felt it was better to overdo it with something within my meal plan...at least you're still on the right track.

You can also make cauliflower pizza, kabocha 'fries' (they aren't crispy but creamy and delicious), revolution rolls or almond flour buns to use for burgers (home made or take-out!), shiritaki noodles for creamy alfredo pastas...so many delicious options.

I never feel sick or achey when I eat carbs but I do find if I eat wheat/bread more than one day in a row I get very bloaty in my stomach. Very noticeable!
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Holy old thread batman.

I am one of those in the camp of 0 grains, even the dusting of whatever they put in pre packaged grated cheeses to keep it from clumping will send me into a carb hangover. So for example the other day at Logan's road house I asked for my cheese on my salad with steak, to be on the side, so I could determine if it was grated in house or came from a package. Fortunately it was grated in house. I do cheat from time to time, but I always know what it's gonna make me feel like too. The real question for me is knowing what we know.. Why do we keep doing it?
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote