LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rose1271
Stats: 238-22W (highest)/191.5-16W/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart-March 1, 2011
Wendy's Salads

MMMM!!! Normally, I'd get a double minus the bun and a caesar side salad. Today I got their BLT Cobb Salad with the Avocado Ranch Dressing. It is so delicious! AND it has real crumbles of blue cheese.
Rose1271 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bosco0633
WOE: atkins induction
I had one 2 weeks ago and was surprised how much sugar was involved. One full serving with 1 package of dressing is 10 net carbs and 5g of sugar.

I used my own dressing but still had 4g of sugar. After doing homework the chicken contains dextrose as it is processed chicken.

I read articles suggesting to stay away from it however a few articles said if on Atkins you will be ok. I ate it in the beginning of Atkins and I was not in ketosis yet so I can't tell you if it will kick you out of it.

Just food for thought, should be ok but watch what else you eat throughout the day.

460 cal, 26g fat, 12 carbs, 3g fibre, 4g sugar and 46g protein.
The dressing has 1g carbs and 1g of sugar.
bosco0633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
I had one 2 weeks ago and was surprised how much sugar was involved. One full serving with 1 package of dressing is 10 net carbs and 5g of sugar.

I used my own dressing but still had 4g of sugar. After doing homework the chicken contains dextrose as it is processed chicken.

I read articles suggesting to stay away from it however a few articles said if on Atkins you will be ok. I ate it in the beginning of Atkins and I was not in ketosis yet so I can't tell you if it will kick you out of it.

Just food for thought, should be ok but watch what else you eat throughout the day.

Thanks for the info. I still enjoyed my salad...
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:

What kind of dressing are you talking about?

Their lemon garlic caesar dressing has 2g carbs, Creamy red jalapeno dressing has 2, Avocado ranch dressing has 3, Pomegranite vinnegarette has 16.

The Whole Blt cobb salad has 10g of carbs though without the dressing, add 2 more for the dressing. Go on their web site and you can get a listing of everything on their menu.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
What kind of dressing are you talking about?

Their lemon garlic caesar dressing has 2g carbs, Creamy red jalapeno dressing has 2, Avocado ranch dressing has 3, Pomegranite vinnegarette has 16.

The Whole Blt cobb salad has 10g of carbs though without the dressing, add 2 more for the dressing. Go on their web site and you can get a listing of everything on their menu.
I read the dressing packet before putting it on my salad and it only had 1 Carb from sugar. It was Marzetti's.

This is all confusing with the different info... LOL

I miss my Cobb salads and thought it was very good. If I get it again, I'll pick off the chicken or bring my own that day.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
What I'm trying to say Rose, there is nothing wrong with most of the dressings from Wendy's. Wendy's is one of the most safe LC places I have found. When I do get their salads (I always get a ceasar side salad and only use a tiny bit of dressing just to be safe), I hardly use all the dressing anyways. I usually get the small salad and a double minus bun. You did nothing wrong and you didn't de-reail your day in anyways. I just didn't want you to feel like that.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
What I'm trying to say Rose, there is nothing wrong with most of the dressings from Wendy's. Wendy's is one of the most safe LC places I have found. When I do get their salads (I always get a ceasar side salad and only use a tiny bit of dressing just to be safe), I hardly use all the dressing anyways. I usually get the small salad and a double minus bun. You did nothing wrong and you didn't de-reail your day in anyways. I just didn't want you to feel like that.
Thank you. I usually do the double minus bun and side salad also, but I had beef yesterday for lunch and wanted to change it up a bit. I saw it on the menu and thought, why not?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I hope you don't think I'm saying it's bad. I think it looks good tastes great. I was just surprised about the amount of sugar couldn't understand it. But dextrose in the chicken makes sense.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose1271 View Post
MMMM!!! Normally, I'd get a double minus the bun and a caesar side salad. Today I got their BLT Cobb Salad with the Avocado Ranch Dressing. It is so delicious! AND it has real crumbles of blue cheese.
I have had that before and it is so yummy!! What a nice change of pace too. Something besides a burger at a fast food joint. I am glad we have other options now at those types of places
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristen777
Start Date: 1/2/2011
can anyone provide where they read their chicken contains sugar? i remember people here talking about the possibility of it but no actual confirmation that it was true
kristen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DixieMoon
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2011
I eat the BLT cobb at least 2 - 3 times a week and am still losing weight- I get the HALF salad. The avocado ranch dressing has 1 carb per packet. Check out the info here for counts.

Nutrition Facts & Personalize It - Wendy's
DixieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieMoon View Post
I eat the BLT cobb at least 2 - 3 times a week and am still losing weight- I get the HALF salad. The avocado ranch dressing has 1 carb per packet. Check out the info here for counts.

Thank you!

And your Avatar totally made me LOL!!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I read it on another forum. Can I post the link?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Here is nutritional index for Wendy's. Shows the Cobb at 4g of sugar

http://www.wendys.com/food/pdf/us/nutrition.pdf
Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DixieMoon
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2011
The sugar is from the bite size piece of bacon, tomatoes and dressing according to the nutritional facts.

http://www.wendys.com/food/Nutrition.jsp

Thanks Rosie! Re: avatar

Last edited by DixieMoon; 03-11-2011 at 11:57 AM..
DixieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristen777
Start Date: 1/2/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieMoon View Post
The sugar is from the bite size piece of bacon, tomatoes and dressing according to the nutritional facts.

Thanks Rosie! Re: avatar
that was my assumption, not that it's somehow mixed in the chicken
kristen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Ok I took a copy of the post from another thread. This is an older thread from 2003 but still worth considering. The link is dead now so maybe it has changed

"I have read on here and other low carb sites that some places actually inject sugar water into their chicken. Perhaps you could ask where you buy your chicken, I always ask whether or not there is a sauce with sugar on any I buy.

McDonald's Grilled Chiken is Injected with a 12% Solution of (source: 404 Page Not Found :: McDonalds.com

water, salt, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, spices, whey, maltodextrin, natural flavors (vegetable source), dextrose, monosodium glutamate, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, Romano cheese, parmesan cheese powder, xanthan gum, cheese flavor, autolyzed yeast extract, extractives of paprika, potassium sorbate, citric acid, silicon dioxide, partially hydrogenated corn oil, citric acid, and sodium phosphates.

Wendy's Grilled Chicken is Injected with/rubbed in (source: http://www.wendys.com/w-4-2-11.shtml):

Water, Salt, Dextrose, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Maltodextrin, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Garlic, Modified Corn Starch, Onion, Beef Stock, Caramel, Disodium Inosinate and Guanylate (flavor enhancers), Lactic Acid, and Polysorbate 80

Burger King's Chicken Whopper is injected with (BURGER KING®

Water, Maltodextrin, Salt, Flavors, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spices, Chicken Fat, Chicken Powder, Chicken Broth, Disodium Guanylate & Disodium Inosinate, Citric Acid, Partially Hydrogenated soybean Oil, Dehydrated Garlic, Artificial Flavors, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (or Soybean Oil), Modified Food Starch, Concentrated Soy Protein, Sodium Phosphates, Monosodium Glutamate.

It is also Glazed With -- Water, Maltodextrin, Salt, Methyl cellulose, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Modified Potato Starch, Flavors, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (and/or Soybean Oil), Onion Powder, Xanthan Gum, Modified Corn Starch, Spices, Dehydrated Garlic, Chicken Powder, Chicken Fat, Garlic Powder, Disodium Guanylate & Disodium Inosinate, Caramel Color, Sucrose, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Chicken Broth, Citric Acid, Turmeric, Annatto Extract, Smoke Flavor, Lecithin, and Flavors.

It really sickens me that anyone would inject Chicken with Sugar, Salt, MSG, and Trans-Fat. Such practices should be banned. Ingredients in bold are Sugars. Those boldened and underlined are Trans-Fats. Those just underlined are MSG.
serrelind
Tue, Sep-02-03, 19:25
Good God.. and here I've been happily chomping on McD's Grilled Chicken salad thinking I was eating very healthily. I just looked up the grilled chicken salad.. there is something wrong when the ingredient listed is a mile long, isn't it?"

Last edited by bosco0633; 03-11-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: happylabs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 1, 2010
I love it and get the 1/2 salad as well but have also had the whole salad. Doesn't seem to have stalled me either. It is a very good choice when you have to eat out. Love the blue cheese crumbles!
happylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 210/195/160 5'5.5"
I had the Wendy's BLT Cobb salad with the Lemon Ceasar dressing....for the first time tonight. Boy, it was good!!!
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I had one of these Sun. night, the full size with 2 packets of avocado ranch, no croutons. For some reason the salad didn't hold me more than 5 hours and I thought it would.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #21
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
Ok I took a copy of the post from another thread. This is an older thread from 2003 but still worth considering. The link is dead now so maybe it has changed

"I have read on here and other low carb sites that some places actually inject sugar water into their chicken. Perhaps you could ask where you buy your chicken, I always ask whether or not there is a sauce with sugar on any I buy.

McDonald's Grilled Chiken is Injected with a 12% Solution of (source: 404 Page Not Found :: McDonalds.com

water, salt, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, spices, whey, maltodextrin, natural flavors (vegetable source), dextrose, monosodium glutamate, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, Romano cheese, parmesan cheese powder, xanthan gum, cheese flavor, autolyzed yeast extract, extractives of paprika, potassium sorbate, citric acid, silicon dioxide, partially hydrogenated corn oil, citric acid, and sodium phosphates.

Wendy's Grilled Chicken is Injected with/rubbed in (source: http://www.wendys.com/w-4-2-11.shtml):

Water, Salt, Dextrose, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Maltodextrin, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Garlic, Modified Corn Starch, Onion, Beef Stock, Caramel, Disodium Inosinate and Guanylate (flavor enhancers), Lactic Acid, and Polysorbate 80

Burger King's Chicken Whopper is injected with (BURGER KING®

Water, Maltodextrin, Salt, Flavors, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spices, Chicken Fat, Chicken Powder, Chicken Broth, Disodium Guanylate & Disodium Inosinate, Citric Acid, Partially Hydrogenated soybean Oil, Dehydrated Garlic, Artificial Flavors, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (or Soybean Oil), Modified Food Starch, Concentrated Soy Protein, Sodium Phosphates, Monosodium Glutamate.

It is also Glazed With -- Water, Maltodextrin, Salt, Methyl cellulose, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Modified Potato Starch, Flavors, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (and/or Soybean Oil), Onion Powder, Xanthan Gum, Modified Corn Starch, Spices, Dehydrated Garlic, Chicken Powder, Chicken Fat, Garlic Powder, Disodium Guanylate & Disodium Inosinate, Caramel Color, Sucrose, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Chicken Broth, Citric Acid, Turmeric, Annatto Extract, Smoke Flavor, Lecithin, and Flavors.

It really sickens me that anyone would inject Chicken with Sugar, Salt, MSG, and Trans-Fat. Such practices should be banned. Ingredients in bold are Sugars. Those boldened and underlined are Trans-Fats. Those just underlined are MSG.
serrelind
Tue, Sep-02-03, 19:25
Good God.. and here I've been happily chomping on McD's Grilled Chicken salad thinking I was eating very healthily. I just looked up the grilled chicken salad.. there is something wrong when the ingredient listed is a mile long, isn't it?"
Thanks; appetizing. lol. Makes me want to head over to Fast Food Avenue.
(I think McDonalds has good coffee.)
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaBigGuy
Stats: 470/418/200
WOE: VLC
Start Date: May 2010
I wish I could buy the lemon garlic caesar somewhere.I know it is Marzetti brand,and I've searched high and low for it.I have came to the realization that it is exclusively made for wendy's.
DaBigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 210/195/160 5'5.5"
I REALLY liked it too!!
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gr82bthin
Stats: 205/199/150
WOE: LC/ Atkins
Start Date: August 3, 2012
I love Wendys, in the winter I eat their chili.
Gr82bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Rosie - thanks for the feeback on the Wendy's salad. I was in a Wendy's a couple of weeks ago and automatically ordered a double burger. Afterwards, I was looking at the menu, I noticed that they now offer a half-portion salad w/a side, one of the sides being the Jr Bacon cheeseburger. That is such a great idea (like Panera's "you pick 2"). So I'll try that next time.

Also, here is my take on all the talk about added sugar, ingredients, etc.: All of us here on LC Forum are happy being LC and plan to make this our preferred lifestyle for, well, forever, right? In light of that, I think we have to do the best we can in choosing food out in the real food. It's not always feasible to cook our own healthy, non-processed food (and frankly, I, for one, don't want to do that much cooking). So in choosing a big, yummy salad at a fast food restaurant, we're STILL doing our bodies a favor over the fries, soda, buns, etc., that most of us used to eat. It's really a matter of perspective. I am going to continue to enjoy the least of the evils.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I ate Wendy's cobb salad with the avocado dressing all summer, with no problems. I'm not a big meat eater so it was really nice to have a no-burger option at a fast food place. I thought the full size salad was very filling. It is a bit expensive compared to a burger though, $5.99.
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
ugh!

I think the salads are fine-I thought the chili was too but I just read it had 21 carbs!
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melissakw
Stats: 178/156/134 5'5"
WOE: Atkins OWL <25
Start Date: July 17, 2011
Wendy's is definitely one of my go-to places when I don't have time to cook.

good nutrition info on their website (you can add and subtract individual ingredients, so makes it very easy to determine carb count after you've picked everything off).

Haven't tried that lemon dressing everyone is talking about - I'll have to give it a whirl.
melissakw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassieladyAZ
Stats: 171/143.6/133 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: Feb.2010
Can I just chime in here and say while I LOVE Wendy's for salads too...Chik-Fil-A has an awesome side salad and I adore their Blue cheese Dressing. On days that I can up my carb count a bit, I get a small box of nuggets and a side salad. May have more carbs than some may be able to handle...but if I am good the rest of the week, I can swing it just fine!
SassieladyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote