Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Cherries

I thought this article about cherries was interesting:

The #1 Fruit for Weight Loss
Posted by Joel Marion

You’ve probably heard the tip that if you’re interested in losing weight, it’s a good idea to eat slowly and chew your food at least 15-20 times before swallowing. Doing so allows your brain and body to actually sense that it’s full, instead of cramming a bunch of food down your throat only to find out 30 mins later that you’re WAY stuffed.

And for that reason (and a few others) , I’m picking cherries as my #1 fruit for weight loss.

With cherries, you can’t just pop 30 in your mouth in two mins like you could, and probably often do, with grapes or blueberries. Instead, the pits force you to eat them slowly, allowing your satiation sensors to chime in a prevent you from over-indulging.

So that’s reason #1 – built in portion control.

Reason #2, and it’s a BIG one, is that cherries have the LOWEST glycemic index of all fruits, and one of the lowest glycemic indexes of any carbohydrate source—period.

Scoring at a ridiciulously low 22, you can even snack on cherries in the evening without much detriment as their effect on insulin is minimal at best. Again, it’s not late-night eating that’s the problem, it’s eating the wrong foods (those that cause a substantial rise in fat-loss halting insulin) in evening hours that is.

So next time you’re in the mood for a sweet, satiating snack, reach for a small bowl of cherries and enjoy the goodness. My new favorite variety is Rainier cherries….Mmmmmmm mmmm good

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I didn't know they were the lowest GI of fruits.
Thanks for the article
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Calidreamer
Stats: 242/161/142
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 10, 2010
I didn't know they were the lowest GI of fruits either. That is surprising.

Every once in awhile I have thrown some of the frozen cherries from Whole Foods in my protein shake and have been feeling a little guilty for the splurge - now I don't feel so guilty!
Calidreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I read about cherries being very low GI in Primal Blueprint.. so are peaches (fruits with stones).
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
cherries are SO high in sugar. can't imagine anyone on even a "lower carb" woe suggesting them.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debbi
Stats: 297/157/137
WOE: low carb
Cherries are also great for inflammation. They are recommended to help lower inflammation in the bodies - especially the tart all natural cherry juice - you can find it at WF. Suppose to help w/arthritis etc...
Debbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
I had heard that was blueberries for the lowest GI fruit. I presume there is an actual list out there somewhere..?
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Ten cherries are about 9.5 net carbs, so it depends on how many carbs you're eating per day and how many cherries you will want at a time. Personally if I start eating cherries, I probably won't stop until the bag is empty and I have an enormous pile of pits!
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Don't see how cherries are the lowest on the GI list when they are on the highest sugar list.

Fruits Lowest in Sugar

* Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime

* Rhubarb

* Raspberries (more about berries on low carb diets)

* Blackberries

* Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar

* Strawberries

* Casaba Melon

* Papaya

* Watermelon

* Peaches

* Nectarines

* Blueberries

* Cantaloupes

* Honeydew melons

* Apples

* Guavas -- Pineapple Guavas (Feijoa) and Strawberry Guavas are probably similar, but information that directly compares them is not available

* Apricots

* Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar

* Plums

* Oranges

* Kiwifruit

* Pears

* Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar

* Tangerines

* Cherries

* Grapes

* Pomegranates

* Mangos

* Figs

* Bananas

* Dried Fruit, such as dates, raisins, dried apricots, and prunes

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
GI ratings are confusing to me but it does say cherries are a 22 and strawberries are a 40 so cherries are almost half again lower in the GI rating as strawberries.

Strawberries: Glycemic Index GI Strawberries
Cherries: Glycemic Index GI Cherries

IMO (for now.. for me) I won't be eating much fruit at all. I do believe however that just because a fruit is low on the GI (just measures how quickly the food raises your sugar) that does not mean that it won't raise your blood sugar - soon enough all the carbs are released.. maybe slower but still you would get the full effect of all of the carbs soon enough.

I will in the future be trying new fruits and will go with the ones that are lowest in carbs first. I do think it's very intersting though that they have more carbs (cherries) but a much lower GI (than the strawberries).. I wonder ultimately how that effects insulin levels.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
...just because a fruit is low on the GI (just measures how quickly the food raises your sugar) that does not mean that it won't raise your blood sugar - soon enough all the carbs are released.. maybe slower but still you would get the full effect of all of the carbs soon enough.
Hi folks…
Yup, even for those of us who are not diabetic or who don't care about the Glycemic index, carbs are what count.

Since a cup of sour cherries is 11 net carbs, and sweet cherries are 21 per cup - that's way too high for me. I wouldn't be afraid of them, it's just not something I'd want to spend my daily carb allotment on.

But if somebody really likes them, and if they keep the amounts within the limits, doesn't seem to me there should be issues.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I was already thinking about cherries and they aren't in season here until July. I plan on going off plan to eat them when they are here...it's only a month out of the year. Interestingly enough I've historically lost 5-10 lbs every July (tho it always came back in Dec - no surprise there!). They are too expensive for us to buy out of season.

But if I'm going to make this work for the rest of my life - there is NO way I'm giving up some of the things I've considered healthy indulgences. It's just not worth it to me to be "slim". I know ppl have health problems on this site, but sometimes everyone seems so restrictive. To each his/her own...

Thanks for the information Mermaid! I'm glad to know I can easily fit these into my WOE. I can't wait for July now!

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Like all foods, some people like them and can tolerate them, and some probably can't. Some people are in active weight loss mode, and some are on maintenance, so that is a factor too.

However, I am an extremely carb-sensitive person, but find I can eat a handful of cherries and not get the same bloaty feeling as I would with a few crackers or even an apple or peach.

Here is an article that points out some health benefits, one being a great stimulator for liver and kidneys, which is an excellent benefit if you are on a low-carb diet eating rich foods.

Health Benefits of Cherries

I guess another point is that fresh cherries have a pretty short season, occurring at the height of summer when a lot of us are more active and can handle a few extra carb grams.

Last edited by mermaid; 03-09-2011 at 02:28 PM..
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote