LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
water retention and illness?

As we all know, some people retain water like spounges for many reasons. I am just curious, though, has anyone noticed water retention when they are getting sick? (with a cold/flu/whatever)
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I have not. But when I walk alot my fingers get puffy
I hate this.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sweetpea49
Stats: 228.5/165/150 Restart 10/12/10 207.5/166.0/165.0
WOE: 17 Day Diet--Cycle 4 Maintenance
Start Date: 1/27/03
I am just getting over full-blown influenza and have been sick for a week. I didn't retain water, but became dehydrated from high fever and low fluid intake. I lost 5#s during this time, but now I am up a # or so because I am now eating and drinking. Not a good way to lose weight....
sweetpea49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
YES! This has been an issue with me all my life. At the first sign of any cold or flu, my body retains water, and doesn't release it until I'm on the mend.

I don't know why this happens, and when my primary doctor noticed it, he was surprised--I retained 12lbs of water with the flu one year! When I went in for meds, I was weighed, and he noticed my BP was up. I told him that I was retaining water, but I could see that he didn't believe me (but I knew my weight). He insisted that I return in a week to have my BP checked again. My fever broke during that week and my body released all that water.

When I returned, my BP was normal, and I stepped on the scale to show him the difference--12 lbs from my visit just a few days before.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
Absolutely. A few weeks ago, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing and why I was swollen--though it was sodium. Turns out I came down with an ear ache a few days later but thankfully it didn't last long.

I'm a huge water retainer--just thinking about it makes me swollen. On the bright side, my face is the first place that my weight loss shows--and it's mostly reduction of water retention. On of my first goals is to get my wedding right back on. Of course, some of it is little fat pockets on my fingers--can't blame water for everything.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am glad I am not the only one! I am like a spounge! My water fluctuations can be pretty extreme, given certain hormones...but I have only been sick ONCE since starting this WOE (started getting sick yesterday!). I figured that after months and months of perfect health, it was coming at some point. I woke up with a sore throat and noticed I'd gained 2 pounds. Funny enough, it is all GONE this morning and I am starting to feel a bit better! Just the body grabbing some water as I was getting sick....strange.

It made me think about what makes the body retain, and I wondered if I was alone in this. But glad to see I am not. I guess everyone's body has its habits

My BP was crazy yesterday too (I have a home monitor)
Old 03-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky4 View Post
Absolutely. A few weeks ago, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing and why I was swollen--though it was sodium. Turns out I came down with an ear ache a few days later but thankfully it didn't last long.

I'm a huge water retainer--just thinking about it makes me swollen. On the bright side, my face is the first place that my weight loss shows--and it's mostly reduction of water retention. On of my first goals is to get my wedding right back on. Of course, some of it is little fat pockets on my fingers--can't blame water for everything.
Yeah, my face has changed a LOT!

LOL good luck with the wedding ring! I am sure it will happen soon! Mine is now so large I am going to have to get it made smaller soon or I will lose it! (I tried to convince my husband that a new one was necessary, but I don't think he's buying it
Old 03-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
YES! This has been an issue with me all my life. At the first sign of any cold or flu, my body retains water, and doesn't release it until I'm on the mend.

I don't know why this happens, and when my primary doctor noticed it, he was surprised--I retained 12lbs of water with the flu one year! When I went in for meds, I was weighed, and he noticed my BP was up. I told him that I was retaining water, but I could see that he didn't believe me (but I knew my weight). He insisted that I return in a week to have my BP checked again. My fever broke during that week and my body released all that water.

When I returned, my BP was normal, and I stepped on the scale to show him the difference--12 lbs from my visit just a few days before.
WOW 12 POUNDs!! That is amazing! Thankfully just water but it must feel very odd!