LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
Chinese food

The old man and kids want to go but what can I have? How bad is the soy sauce, it's on everything.

Thanks!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: achevres
Stats: 123/117/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/12/11
What I did.

I ate Chinese for the first time (after starting Atkins) last weekend. I couldn't find any suggestions on LCF. I ordered a special that had chicken, salmon and a few LC veggies in a light sauce. I figured if 1. I planned ahead and was under 10 gms carbs for the day before dinner, 2. I ordered a simple dish that was not sweet and not fried (because of the breading) and 3. didn't eat any other carbs that night, that the damage wouldn't be so bad. So those are my suggestions for you. I had no way of getting out of that dinner, so I did the best I could. And, I'm not sure if/when you weigh yourself, but I wouldn't do it the next day!

p.s. I have cooked Chinese many times and in a restaurant the variables that we have no way of knowing are the sauces, which at the minimum have cornstarch and soy sauce, so the simpler the better.

p.s.s. I also would like suggestions from other lowcarbers on what to order!
achevres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Egg drop soup

I am frightened by "Chinese" food...so much MSG, sugar ect.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
it is your money. tell them how YOU want it!!!

I have my chinese take-out people well trained. I eat chinese quite often, and never looked back!!! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
I've actually never had an issue with Chinese food being a problem. Of course, I don't eat the rice at all and skip the spring roll, but I can have egg drop soup and moo goo gai pan, which is chicken with broccoli and snow peas in the standard Chinese "white sauce" -- it's mostly garlic, chicken broth and corn starch, I assume. The sauce mostly pools on the bottom of the plate. It doesn't really stick that much to the food, unlike the brown sugar based sauces, like the one used in General Tso's chicken. It's not breaded. The worst thing about it is probably the salt and the MSG, but if I drink a huge amount of water (which I do all the time anyway), I just flush all the salt out. I usually show a loss the day after having it and have never rebounded afterwards. I also have only had lunch sized portions and have it very infrequently these days -- unlike when I was working and we could get lunch for under $4, delivered.

A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light; but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. -- Max Planck
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
actually it's not soy sauce, it's complex sauces made with lots of things, most of them containing sugar. it's really hard. you might talk them into making something without sauce for you, depending on how well they speak English. say ALLERGY and they might take it seriously. I like the interpretation that we ARE allergic to carbs, they make us break out in fat!

it might just be easier to eat beforehand and just push some food around and then let the others eat it.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marianne78
Stats: 160/157/130
Start Date: January 2011
I eat Chinese food on a weekly basis. Just avoid the rice, the noodles, the dumplings and the spring rolls. Is there a way for you to find out what the menu is before you go to eat there? Maybe if you find out what is served at the restaurant beforehand, you'll be able to figure out what you can eat and what you should stay away from.
marianne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
The soy sauce is the fermented kind, so not bad for you, but the sodium in it is off the charts!! If you're like me, you would probably retain some fluid from it.
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Margplatn
I had Ch. Egg Foo Yong, no gravy and egg drop soup! It was great!
Margplatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I don't think I saw anyone mentioned looking on their menu for their diet dishes. I know not all Chinese Restaurants have that list, but a lot do. It is just the food cooked without the sauces and they serve them on the side. You can just skip the sauce then you don't have to worry about how much corn starch, or sugars, or whatever is added.

I think most places also serve an appetizer of chicken wings. I often order them and just ask them to leave off the batter. The take out places around here sell them with hot sauce on the side, but I think that is because of the local population and probably not a common thing in other areas. I actually eat them more often plain.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassieladyAZ
Stats: 171/143.6/133 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: Feb.2010
I have had chinese a few times. I try to stay away from things with the sweet n sour sauce (sugar) and I use soy instead of the terriyaki sauce. If I know Im doing strict LC for my other meals, I may splurge on the terriyaki!
SassieladyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jskn
Stats: 115.5/105/100
WOE: atkins
Start Date: october 2005
order STEAMED chicken/shrimp with broccoli (or whatever veg you like) NO SAUCE

someone mentioned egg drop soup but it is full of starch to thicken it...
jskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
We have a chinese restaurant that on the weekends has an open grill where you can go pick out the raw ingredients on a plate and then give it to the cook to fix for you and they ask what kind of sauces or oils that you want added.

I usually fill up a plate with shredded cabbage, green peppers, a few onions, mushrooms, chicken. shrimp or beef and then have them use garlic and chili oil when they cook it. It's delicious and always good and hot unlike somethings on the buffet. My husband and I went this past weekend and that's what I had plus I indulged in a few very tasty crawdads.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mccb17
Stats: 439/250(met!)/239/235 6'0"
Start Date: 3 January 2011
I guess I would try beef and broccoli? That can't be too terrible.

Though I imagine that so long as you're not going to a buffet, you can just let them know you'd like sauces on the side, and stick with chicken or beef and vegetables. Every Chinese restaurant I've been to has been pretty laid back when it comes to modifications.

With that said-- I just skip Chinese restaurants altogether, personally. I can usually talk my friends into going for Jamaican. Jerk pulled pork!
mccb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Unfortunately, it is a buffet. LOL But luckily they have a menu you can order from, I've just never looked at it! I'm hoping the old man and kids ate there tonight when they had to go into town.

They know us so well, we're in there all of the time, they know what drinks we want and even put the foods on the buffet that we like. I bet the head lady would have them whip up something for me.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristen777
Start Date: 1/2/2011
our places always have a 'diet menu' which is usually all steamed meats and veggies...i'd order that with a side of soy sauce...one place will actually make you the soy/ginger sauce without any thickeners if you ask them

worst case, ask them what they offer..i promise theyve been asked before...or be one of those people i see with piles and piles of crab legs all over their tables, i just dont have the patience for em
kristen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: someonelikeyou
Start Date: Re-Start January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
The old man and kids want to go but what can I have? How bad is the soy sauce, it's on everything.

Thanks!
My husband was just saying "we don't eat Chinese anymore!" Well, yeah.

I guess you could order steamed chicken and veggies - no sauce. I personally wouldn't trust egg drop soup - corn starch and other thickeners. Steamed fish would be good as well.

I miss it!
someonelikeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Daydreamer
Stats: 270/213.8/160
WOE: low/mod carbs < 100 grams daily from vegis/dairy
Start Date: ~every day~every bite~
I had chinese tonight- no, rice or other sides, only 1 pint of beef and chin. vegis mixed- it had beef, mushrooms, pea pods, boc choy (I might have spelled that wrong but it was like a cross between celery and cabbage), and a very few carr. slices. I mean like 2 slices of carr. as if they were an after thought- or left over from the previous food cooked in the wok

It was smothered in a brown gravy but it was very runny so I shook off all of the excess sauce with each bite.

I'm diabetic, took no insulin with THIS meal (I am on metformin) and was at 125 two hours post meal. This is lower then I was pre-meal- so no raise in blood glucose levels for me.

While the metformin works to keep sugar levels down, I can very clearly see a rise in my bgl's when I have something I shouldn't eat like gravy or higher carbs.

YMMV

Last edited by Daydreamer; 03-02-2011 at 05:55 PM..
Daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks all! Now I REALLY want Chinese food!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Daydreamer
Stats: 270/213.8/160
WOE: low/mod carbs < 100 grams daily from vegis/dairy
Start Date: ~every day~every bite~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
Thanks all! Now I REALLY want Chinese food!

While it didn't raise my blood glucose level it did make me stay the same weight this morning- probably from all the sodium-?
Daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: killerblues
Stats: 162/148/140 5'9"
WOE: atkins (ish)
Start Date: a long time ago
I ate chinese today and it had no effects. I ate the beef and broccoli, the grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, steamed cabbage, and what I lovingly call, chihuahua on a stick. I'm sure I'll get flamed for that.

My sticks are still purple.
killerblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Ask for steam veggies and chicken no sauce. Use soy sauce.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hardrain
Stats: 5'4" 164/144/135
Start Date: 1/1/11
I'm going out for Chinese on Sun. I was thinking of ordering the crispy duck (no sauce) and steamed veggie?
hardrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: achevres
Stats: 123/117/110
Start Date: 1/12/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
I'm going out for Chinese on Sun. I was thinking of ordering the crispy duck (no sauce) and steamed veggie?

Yum!!
achevres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Colin Dunn
Stats: 216/194/145
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Start Date: 05/27/2013
I actually like buffet-style Chinese restaurants, as it's easy to choose things that are lower in carbs. There still can be some carbs hiding in sauces, but I've done OK when I just stay away from the breaded, sweetened, and obviously starchy stuff.
Colin Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I have eaten chinese twice on this diet and never had a problem. I did not eat the rice or anything breaded and stuck to a simple meat and veggies based dish. If there was sugar in the sauce, it wasn't enough to bother me!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
I used to eat Spare Ribs all the time, and fortunately it never affected me. I only eat them from a certain place because their ribs don't have all that sauce on it.

I don't eat much Chinese food anymore but when I do, it's the ribs, beef/chicken and broccoli.
Kisha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskn View Post
order STEAMED chicken/shrimp with broccoli (or whatever veg you like) NO SAUCE

someone mentioned egg drop soup but it is full of starch to thicken it...
This is what I do.. we have Chinese maybe once a month, DH picks it up on the way home.

It's actually interesting.. I just ask for all veggies but carrot or sugar snap peas and they make the most wonderful steamed dinners for us! I have chicken or shrimp or a combo of both. It's fun because they always use different combos of veggies and I swear they give me more food than when I used to order the normal meals. I think they feel sorry for me not having any of the sauces! Ha!

I add my own Nama Shoyu (Raw ferminted soy sauce) and pickled ginger at home for a little extra zing. Yum!

Last edited by daisyHair; 03-05-2011 at 11:56 AM..
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote