Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peds
WOE: Atkins
OMM???

I am restarting Atkins after about 6-7 years. I lost 115# back then but have been slowly gaining back 50#. After one week I have lost 8.5. But, in the last 3 days I have added "one minute muffins" which I think are great, but what experience have others had as far as how they have affected their weight loss etc. I had 2 of them yesterday, do you think that is pushing it?? I would welcome input.
peds is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Wow, 8.5 in one week!!
That is wonderful.
I have never tried the OMM. Could you toss me one?
I am afraid I wouldn't stop...kinda like how I am w/ HWC.
I am eager to see the responses to your ??
P
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AYorkie
Stats: 250/195/165 , 27 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 2011
Here you go!

Hey All, I love the OMM, and it has not affected my weight loss overall. I think the reason that people say they "gain" a couple pounds is because while the flax (pretty much 100% fiber) is in your GI tract (prob 1-2 days, depending on how fast you digest), it bulks up with water, along with waste, and then once you "go" :blush:, lets put it this way, there is more bulk added to the equation. But then the excess "weight" is gone! So I wouldnt worry about that. I think its really only noticeable if you weigh daily (which I usually do but I try to give myself about a 3 lb variation due to water, sodium, TOM, and such things as fiber) and trust me, I've still lost weight throughout.

Here is the OMM recipe I use:

1/4 cup of flax - I sometimes only use 2 tbsp and half an egg
1 egg
pinch baking powder (not sure what this does but I doubt it'd be ruined w/out it)
1 packet splenda (or not if u dont want)
pinch cinnamon (or not, I don't care for the taste it creates)
1 tsp melted butter - I melt this in the coffee mug first, then add the other ingredients

** I like to make a chocolate muffin version for breakfast sometimes, and then put whipped cream cheese on it, and its absolutely delish - for this I add a tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 packets splenda instead of 1**

mix well in coffee mug, pop into microwave for 1 minute, then tap out onto a plate. You can also make it in different shaped containers for "bread" shape, or whatnot. Its very versatile and extremely hard to mess up. Enjoy!
Mom2AYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ironic44
Stats: 260/210/199
WOE: low carb between 20 and 30 + exercise
Start Date: Feb 15 2010
I eat 2 per week...it is my alternate mid morning snack from HB eggs
ironic44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
The one-minute muffins are delish, but if I eat them often I don't lose.

I think it's the calories - I use the same recipe as Mom2AYorkie, it's about 235 calories. Not soooo bad, but then I like to slather on the butter and cream cheese, and there you go - poof no weight loss .

If I cut out something else, maybe I could eat them regularly, but I don't want to reduce the amounts of whole foods that I normally eat for something that's more of a treat than an essential part of my diet........
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
The one-minute muffins are delish, but if I eat them often I don't lose.

I think it's the calories - I use the same recipe as Mom2AYorkie, it's about 235 calories. Not soooo bad, but then I like to slather on the butter and cream cheese, and there you go - poof no weight loss .

If I cut out something else, maybe I could eat them regularly, but I don't want to reduce the amounts of whole foods that I normally eat for something that's more of a treat than an essential part of my diet........
Very true, they are not a very low cal breakfast or snack although I will say this: whenever I eat one (I favor them for breakfast) it tides me over for the rest of the day at least until dinner, if not til the next day because it is so filling.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
When I make them, I add about a half tsp of baking powder so they rise really high and cut them in half. My DH and I share one. Here is my recipe:

1/8 cup flaxseed meal
1/8 cup pecan meal
1 TBS butter
1 Egg
1/2 tsp baking powder

I melt the butter in a large mug, wait a minute for it to cool and beat the egg in thoroughly so there will be no white lines in our muffin. Then I add the meals and the baking powder. I mix this in the same large mug and cook for about a minute and a half, longer if the bottom is not dry enough. I take it out and check it. It pops right out. I just plop it back in the cup to cook some more if it needs it.
I don't add sugar because we eat ours with SF strawberry Jam and since I use so much butter to make it, it doesn't need any butter either.
This is big enough for the two of us. The Pecan meal adds a special taste to it. Natural peanut butter is good on top too.

I made Goal on 6-12-11
New Goal....... 120
DH: 230/187/180
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i like mine a lot less "eggy" than the original.

1/2 c almond flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp xantham gum
4-6T sweetener (i use ezsweets to equal 4-6T)
pinch salt
1 jumbo egg (yes, best to use for this recipe)
2 1/2 T melted butter
1 T liquid -- half & half, hwc, almond milk, etc.
2tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp sour cream

cover with saran wrap, poke air hole, microwave 1 min 20 sec.
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
They're carb friendly but not calorie friendly, but as long as I stay within my allotted calories, they don't affect my weight loss in a negative manner.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Usually split mine with DH too. Sliced and toasted for dippy eggs I use oil instead of butter. No melting needed.
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2AYorkie View Post
Very true, they are not a very low cal breakfast or snack although I will say this: whenever I eat one (I favor them for breakfast) it tides me over for the rest of the day at least until dinner, if not til the next day because it is so filling.
I agree - they are so filling! I just had my first OMM yesterday and it was great. I didn't feel hungry for many hours afterward. It also makes me so happy to have found such a great LC treat.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #12

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
people get the idea they stall weightloss, because they have a LARGE impact on bowel contents and if you aren't eliminating strongly every day, a good flax muffin can add close to a pound the next day. it ends up getting you going more regularly, but you have to take this into account in deciding whether they cause problems. make sense?

I like the more elaborate recipes. I make mine with more eggs, oat fiber, one of many flavored DaVinci or Torani syrups, often adding nuts, and also grated zucchini. that just makes them moister and bigger for little carbs and calories. I bake them in the microwave in a silicone muffin pan. they are wonderful. my husband really looks forward to them. we even have a flax muffin song we sing! LOL
Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2013
Oh, come on now, you can't tease us with the idea of a flax muffin song and not "sing" a few bars...
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizzy K
Stats: -11
WOE: Ditched Atkins for Paleo. NEVER turning back.
Start Date: May 12
I used to eat them every morning and it never stalled my losses. I just have been preferring other things at this point. They are very yummy with some cream cheese swirled in so that it bakes in the muffin! Higher up the carb ladder they are wonderful with blueberries added in as well
Lizzy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
Oh, come on now, you can't tease us with the idea of a flax muffin song and not "sing" a few bars...
I second this!!

The other reason I LOVE the OMM is because it definitely is a nice breakfast treat, and it also is a little more easily portable than a lot of our other yummy LC b-fast foods (although I am NOT against carrying bacon in my purse lol)
Old 02-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy K View Post
I used to eat them every morning and it never stalled my losses. I just have been preferring other things at this point. They are very yummy with some cream cheese swirled in so that it bakes in the muffin! Higher up the carb ladder they are wonderful with blueberries added in as well
Awesome idea swirling the cream cheese! I will try that at some point. I try not to have one every day so that I can still consider it a treat and it makes me look forward to it.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
I LOVE these. But they absolutely KILL my stomach...about 15 mins after eating I feel like I swallowed a BRICK. Wonder why?
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandalouslyglam View Post
I LOVE these. But they absolutely KILL my stomach...about 15 mins after eating I feel like I swallowed a BRICK. Wonder why?
I think it kind of blows up in your stomach - I also feel very full after eating one, and the fullness sticks w/me for HOURS
Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandalouslyglam View Post
If you are using flaxseed as most of us do, you need to drink a full glass of water with them. There's a lot of fiber in flaxseed meal.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I may have to revise my earlier comments on the OMM. Over the last 3 days I've been having a rougher time than usual with the cravings. The only difference in my diet has been the addition of the OMM. I'm wondering if the flax is causing the cravings. I may have to do some 'sperimenting by making them with just almond meal and see if the cravings go away. Then add them back in and see if they come back.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I may have to revise my earlier comments on the OMM. Over the last 3 days I've been having a rougher time than usual with the cravings. The only difference in my diet has been the addition of the OMM. I'm wondering if the flax is causing the cravings. I may have to do some 'sperimenting by making them with just almond meal and see if the cravings go away. Then add them back in and see if they come back.
Sometimes have the same response to things like this. I thnk they trick my mind into thinking it is getting a carby goody and then, it wants more. Does this make sense? I don't think it is a physical thing, just a mind trick.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycitygirl View Post
Sometimes have the same response to things like this. I thnk they trick my mind into thinking it is getting a carby goody and then, it wants more. Does this make sense? I don't think it is a physical thing, just a mind trick.
It could be a blood sugar thing, too, not just a mind trick. I can't quote anything, but it seems like I've read that sweets, even when artificially sweetened, can cause spikes in blood sugar, followed by the drops that make you want to eat everything in sight.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
It could be a blood sugar thing, too, not just a mind trick. I can't quote anything, but it seems like I've read that sweets, even when artificially sweetened, can cause spikes in blood sugar, followed by the drops that make you want to eat everything in sight.
It could be. May test my levels sometime to see if that is it. Something to think about