Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Zevia sodas? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/711295-zevia-sodas.html)

daisyHair 02-25-2011 09:32 AM

Zevia sodas?

I am working on a Netrition order right now and wondered if anyone has ever had these? The cola in particular but would love to know if you have tried them.. which ones and if you liked them?

Zevia

Monkee 02-25-2011 09:36 AM

I got free samples and loved the ORANGE! Iced cold it was awesome.
Haven't bought any since as I am not big on drinking soda, or at least I try not to, lol.

Yummy though considering it has stevia.

daisyHair 02-25-2011 09:49 AM

Ya.. I have totally given up all my diet soda. I would love to find something to have every once in a while that was "ok".. I am sure it still has not so great chemicals but maybe the lessor of two evils!

Divabunny 02-25-2011 09:50 AM

I've had it a few times, it's good! I don't go out of my way to get it because it's pricey - I just usually pick up one or two when I'm at Whole Foods. I'm a Diet Pepsi girl myself, but if I wanted an alternative sugar sub, Zevia would be a great alternative.

Meggzie 02-25-2011 09:52 AM

I have tried them.. I bought them to have once in awhile when I gave up drinking diet pepsi/coke.....I really didn't like it - had a funny peppery aftertaste to me. I did drink them eventually, but I wouldn't buy them again.

dawnyama 02-25-2011 09:54 AM

I have tried the Black Cherry. Definitely a different tasting soda. Something to get used to, but it you are looking for a "healthier" soda this is it!

Monkee 02-25-2011 09:58 AM

I like the black cherry in the Diet Rite brand.
I also like Diet Hansen.

Its an alternative and locally found.

DC12 02-25-2011 10:01 AM

I sent you a PM.

debkeversole 02-25-2011 10:04 AM

my DS15 loves the orange and the Twist I like the dr zevia , twist, ginger ale and i think it is rootbeer but a dif name maybe?? maybe ginger root beer??
they used to send me 1$ off coupons every so often i need to go re register at their site and see if they will do so again!

netritions price looks to be cheaper than i pay at earth fare :thumbsup:

PaminKY 02-25-2011 10:07 AM

I've tried them all except the black cherry and I'll list them in the order of which ones I liked best. I actually just ordered some cola and twist from Netrition a few minutes ago since the HFS near me have been sold out of the cola.

1. Cola (great for every once in a while treat but definitely a different taste)
2. Twist
3. Dr. Zevia
4. Orange
5. Ginger Root Beer
6. Ginger Ale (this one was terrible and I ended up throwing most away but I'm from Ale-8 country and I guess I was expecting too much)

I'm planning on ordering a soda stream soon and start trying to make my own stevia sweetened fizzy drinks.

ravenrose 02-25-2011 10:14 AM

one of the low carb blogs did quite a test of these awhile ago. try googling it. good luck!

ncgirl 02-25-2011 10:24 AM

I thought it was good, so I bought a lot of it on sale, and then pretty much stopped drinking it. So, I'm not sure what that says! :) It's not bad, though, in my opinion. I guess I just preferred the cheaper 'regular' diet sodas!

dazygyrl 02-25-2011 10:26 AM

i thought the cola was really good. a bit $$, but at least they tasted good spending that much.

Karerose 02-25-2011 10:36 AM

They had them on sale at my local Health Food Store, so I bought a can of the Black Cherry. I won't be buying them again. It was awful, but I much prefer Waist Watcher's Black Cherry.

daisyHair 02-25-2011 10:50 AM

Wow!

Thanks everyone.
I think I want to try the cola type.
I appreciate everyone's opinions!

sorenkkg 02-25-2011 11:07 AM

Be aware there's erythritol in it, in addition to the stevia. So if you have a reaction to erythritol, you might want to try before stocking up.

That said-- I like the gingerale, the root beer has a lot of ginger in it too, sort of a spicy root beer. The cherry is good, and it's clear, no added colors.

Haven't tried the other flavors-- I get mine at a grocery store, b/c I don't want to pay for shipping on a liquid :)

brittone2 02-25-2011 11:41 AM

We like the ginger root beer, the cola and the Dr. Zevia the best.

the root beer is good w/ a dash of heavy cream for something float-like :)

I like the ingredients, but I hate that cans have a BPA lining. We buy them on occasion and it is the only BPA containing "can" I really buy anymore, since BPA has been linked to insulin resistance (and I have PCOS).

I wish they had a glass option since my local grocery store and WFs both sell it.

One of the other green tea type softdrinks (Steaz or one of the other ones) sweetened with erythritol comes in glass, which I like. The downside to the green tea ones is that there aren't a lot of flavors options in the erythritol sweetened version ("diet"). I really only like the orange.

locarbman 02-25-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyHair (Post 14413276)
I am working on a Netrition order right now and wondered if anyone has ever had these? The cola in particular but would love to know if you have tried them.. which ones and if you liked them?

Zevia

Hi daisy,

You might also find this thread interesting:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...zevia-1-a.html

;-)

sweet irony 02-25-2011 12:17 PM

I drink 1 or 2 a week, The Black Cherry is my favorite. I also like the Dr. Zevia but I'm trying not to have caffeine. They're the only sodas I drink.

Mommie22boys 02-25-2011 01:42 PM

I've tried several of their flavors. Cola, Twist and Orange are the favorites here. Be sure to drink them nice and cold. . .I didn't like them as much when I just poured them over ice. I thought they were much better fresh from the fridge.

daisyHair 02-25-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locarbman (Post 14413810)
Hi daisy,

You might also find this thread interesting:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...zevia-1-a.html

;-)

Hey thanks for that!

sbarr 02-25-2011 05:15 PM

I like Cola, then Root beer and buy it when it's on sale at the local food co-op. Some people might say it has a funny flavor, but trust me, drink a few cans of this and try some Diet Pepsi - blech. Another option - Sweetleaf stevia "root beer" flavor in seltzer water. My little one calls it: "Root Beer Water"

Taxbane 02-25-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyHair (Post 14413276)

Zevia

Love these!

No artificial sweetners!!! (Say goodbye to splenda, aspartame, and the other crap that no long term studies have been conducted on, and will likely cause greater problems for consumers that weight issues in the future).

I like Black Cherry and Root Beer the Best!!!!!!

2kids2cats 02-25-2011 05:42 PM

Three years ago I roamed all over San Fran to find Zevia and finally did...only to find out I really didn't like the cola...yuk~! and the twist was barely tolerable. Last weekend I found lots of Zevia at the Sprouts in Phoenix and when I saw they had black cherry I decided to give them another try. OMG, I love the black cherry!!! I have to try Dr. Zevia now. I'm a huge diet dr pepper fan, so I dunno.... I have one Zevia a day with my lunch. They are great ice cold. I think I will try some of the other flavors again.

sorenkkg 02-25-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxbane (Post 14414602)
Love these!

No artificial sweetners!!! (Say goodbye to splenda, aspartame, and the other crap that no long term studies have been conducted on, and will likely cause greater problems for consumers that weight issues in the future).

I like Black Cherry and Root Beer the Best!!!!!!

Don't want to be a parade-rainer-on-er :rolleyes: But they do contain Erythritol, which I think some do consider an artificial sweetner, and others not.

personally, I do get a wee bit of CYP even from Erythritol (side note: I find for each food I try that has a polyol in it, the reaction is different, ah well. YMMV).

But overall, I think anything is better than aspertame.

Back to the OP-- try the Zevia and see if you like it :)

DC12 02-26-2011 12:49 PM

I'm looking forward to trying the new flavors....

Charski 02-26-2011 04:31 PM

Wow, cream soda and GRAPE?!! :eek: I'm all over that!

I really like the ginger root beer; DH loves the Dr. Zevia. The cola is fine if I pour it in a glass with a squeezed wedge of fresh lime and lots of ice. OR instead of lime, a shot of Seagrams Espresso Vodka! :laugh: I like the orange a lot. Like others have said, I prefer these all ice-cold, but that's no different from ANY soda for me.

Wasn't crazy about the cherry or the ginger ale flavors and I'm not a 7-up kind of person so have not tried the lemon lime.

The NICE thing too, aside from no artificial sweeteners, is NO PHOSPHORIC ACID which is what leaches calcium from your bones.

DC12 02-26-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 14416906)
Wow, cream soda and GRAPE?!! :eek: I'm all over that!

Me, too! Those are the two I really want to try. I said the same thing about the cola. It needs a wedge of lemon or lime to make it taste better. I didn't know about Zevia not containing Phosphoric Acid. Good to know:o)

djlottawa 07-05-2013 01:30 PM

I know this is an older tread, but had to reply to it.
I have been a huge Diet Pepsi fan for years (Going on atleast 20 years now) And I drink it in buckets. Or did. I finally cut down to 1 can a day.

Well, I wanted to try something different that was not using aspartame and was in a local shop and they had the Zevia. Wow!. I just tried and FINISHED in like one sitting /guilty_look the Cream Soda. What is funny is, its the same price as me going to our local coffee shop and buying a can of regular soda. Yeah. I am going back later and getting this Dr Zevia and Black Cherry everyone is talking about. I saw it but only got the Cream Soda and Cola one to try.

Chocolate Rose 07-05-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djlottawa (Post 16501503)
I know this is an older tread, but had to reply to it.
I have been a huge Diet Pepsi fan for years (Going on atleast 20 years now) And I drink it in buckets. Or did. I finally cut down to 1 can a day.

Well, I wanted to try something different that was not using aspartame and was in a local shop and they had the Zevia. Wow!. I just tried and FINISHED in like one sitting /guilty_look the Cream Soda. What is funny is, its the same price as me going to our local coffee shop and buying a can of regular soda. Yeah. I am going back later and getting this Dr Zevia and Black Cherry everyone is talking about. I saw it but only got the Cream Soda and Cola one to try.

I'm also a fan of Zevia.
Last weekend I found Hansen's Blue Sky soda which is sweetened with stevia and erythritol. I think I might even like it better than Zevia. I can only find it at one store somewhat close to me - Fred Meyer. I bought the Creamy Root Beer, Cola, Ginger Ale (I almost didn't buy this one but am thrilled that I did. I think this is the best ginger ale I've ever had - it has a bit of an awesome ginger bite to it), and Cherry Vanilla Creme. I liked all 4 flavors and will be making the long trek back to that store to buy more.