Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Summerblue
Stats: 210 start
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 12, 2011
First week, no weight loss?

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I started the Atkins diet one week ago and stuck to it religiously.

We just weighed ourselves after one week and my boyfriend lost 5 pounds and I gained 1/2 a pound. I was really shocked because I tried so hard, I felt sick for days and I've craved carbs (chocolate), insanely for the last week but I have resisted. Now I'm just frustrated and feeling like, "what's the point"!!

We did not exercise last week because we both felt sick from the diet change, this week we will exercise a little. I normally work out 2-4 times a week walking or on the elliptical machine.

Here is a sample day for us each in terms of food:

breakfast: 2 eggs 2bacon or ham or sausage, 3 oz cheese, coffee with half and half, vegetables with eggs such as mushrooms, peppers, tomato.

lunch: salad with lettuce, peppers, mushrooms, tomato, dressing (ranch or italian), meat like chicken, pork, steak.

snack: 2 baby bell cheese rounds, 1 hard boiled egg, beef broth-oxo 1 teaspoon.

dinner: grilled meat steamed broccoli, green beans or asparagus, sometimes fried mushrooms in butter, and salad with lettuce, peppers, mushrooms, tomato, butter on the broccoli and dressing on the salad, italian or ranch.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom as to why I did not lose weight or what I can do differently?

I also think my boyfriend should have lost more than 5 pounds after the first week. We are both a little frustrated, me more than him!

Thanks,
Anne
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
If you don't mind sharing, what are your starting weights? 5 lbs very well may be a lot of weight lost. Are you drinking water....a lot? Typically posts like this are followed by a substantial loss in the days shortly thereafter. Are your carb counts under 20? Are tomatoes recommended on induction? I know they are kind of sugary. You could be retaining water. Drink a bunch of water, hang in there.
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Awww...that must be discouraging...but DON'T Give up!! Follow Induction for the FULL two weeks.

Your menu looks pretty good! What are you drinking?

Sending LUCK!!!
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyone
Stats: 166.6/151.8/135 -5'4"
Start Date: restart 11/31/13
What are your starting stats? Age/height/weight

Last edited by happyone; 02-20-2011 at 10:42 AM..
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Three questions?

1. How much weight do you have to lose? If you only have a small amount to lose, you losses could be small and slow.

2. Are you weighing and measuring your veg? Veggies on induction are restricted and if you are having large amounts, this could keep you from losing.

3. What were you eating habits a week or so beginning Atkins? If you were already fairly low carb, you won't have the same kind of losses as someone who was eating a high carb diet.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Hmmm... I'm guessing too many veggies and cut back on some of the cheese. Increase fat. I usually do 1 bigg-ish salad per day and *maybe* a small portion of veggies at night. No carbs with breakfast and only eat a small portion of almonds or macadamias as a snack if you feel shaky. Cheese can stall some people, so eat it cautiously. I'll bet if you decrease your veggies this week, you'll see a big drop next week. Hang in there. It DOES work!! If you're hungry, eat fat/protein. It helps. Also, drink broth (1-2 c) or powerade zero (1-2 c) to help with the detox feelings. Good luck!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Just to answer a few questions:

I'm 52, 5'1" and as of today 211 lbs.
I need to lose about 80-100 pounds.
I take a diuretic every day for high blood pressure.

I'm drinking water, coffee (2 per day with half and half), and Fresca 2 or 3 times a week in the evening.

We are not measuring or weighing our vegetables, I thought only the types of vegetables were restricted, not the amounts. We are sticking to all the allowable vegetables.

My diet before starting Atkins:
A sample day:

Oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast or a protein shake with soy and almond milk. Coffee with 1% milk.

Deli meat sandwich for lunch with 2 pieces of whole grain bread, sometimes 3 pieces and peanut butter on one slice, cheese slice with the deli meat and low fat mayo.

Occasional cookies at work, Starbucks latte 2 or 3 times a week.
Chocolate bar about 3or 4 times a week.

Dinner, meat and steamed veggies, sweet potatoes, with low fat sour cream and reduced calorie becel margarine, eating out for lunch 1-2 times a week, coffee on the weekends with a pastry.

Almonds, apples, oranges as snacks through the day. Occasionally baked lays chips for a snack on the weekends and low calorie thin crust pizza for Friday dinner.

I maintained weight at around 210 lbs while eating like this.

Thanks everyone for helping!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Also:
My boyfriends starting weight was 240 lbs, he is 49 and 5'10". We both eat the same although he is less fond of chocolate than I am.
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
As a small female, at an age where metabolism starts to slow down.... you may need to limit portion sizes more (or pay some attention to calories).

I personally think tracking calories every meal is a pain in the rear....... but you might find it interesting to put in the foods you have eaten in a day into a site like www.******.com and see how many calories.

Also, I dont know if you are at menopause or not, but water weight from PMS or even from just a lot of salt can really throw the numbers off for females.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Cut the half & half check the amount of carbs in the dressing & the amount the salt in the bacon/sausage maybe, I have to weigh every thing as in 15 grams of cream per cup of coffee I also have to watch my calories.But there is a list if you want Phase 1 Acceptable Food - Atkins.com
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I agree, cut the half-n-half and switch to cream.
Weigh your veggies! Atkins induction only allows for so many cups of the different veggies.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I would suggest being careful to only have the induction veggies in the amounts outlined in the book. Use real fats (i.e. butter, 35% cream, bacon fat, etc.). Eat only when hungery and then only to satiation. Don't be afraid of the good fats!!!! Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I can only have one salad a day and a small one at that to stay in ketosis. I would definitely cut down on the veggies during induction.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
I can only have one salad a day and a small one at that to stay in ketosis. I would definitely cut down on the veggies during induction.
I am the same way. If I have my veggies, its limited to one meal for the day. Some people can't lose because of leafy green veggies. Make sure you are measuring them according to Induction levels for the next week. If still no success, I would go even lower.

Good Luck!
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerblue View Post
Just to answer a few questions:

I'm 52, 5'1" and as of today 211 lbs.
I need to lose about 80-100 pounds.
I take a diuretic every day for high blood pressure.

I'm drinking water, coffee (2 per day with half and half), and Fresca 2 or 3 times a week in the evening.

We are not measuring or weighing our vegetables, I thought only the types of vegetables were restricted, not the amounts. We are sticking to all the allowable vegetables.

My diet before starting Atkins:
A sample day:

Oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast or a protein shake with soy and almond milk. Coffee with 1% milk.

Deli meat sandwich for lunch with 2 pieces of whole grain bread, sometimes 3 pieces and peanut butter on one slice, cheese slice with the deli meat and low fat mayo.

Occasional cookies at work, Starbucks latte 2 or 3 times a week.
Chocolate bar about 3or 4 times a week.

Dinner, meat and steamed veggies, sweet potatoes, with low fat sour cream and reduced calorie becel margarine, eating out for lunch 1-2 times a week, coffee on the weekends with a pastry.

Almonds, apples, oranges as snacks through the day. Occasionally baked lays chips for a snack on the weekends and low calorie thin crust pizza for Friday dinner.

I maintained weight at around 210 lbs while eating like this.

Thanks everyone for helping!
Dr. Atkins discussed diuretics hindering weight loss in his original book. He recommended getting off them prior to starting this WOE. I would talk to your doctor about that.

Also make sure you are weighing/measuring veggies. I have a very low carb limit for losing so when I did not measure I stalled. Please read the Atkins book, I prefer his 1972 version. Read it and then read it again! It helped me a lot!!

Another thing is hormones...at 52 you may have hormonal issues. If our hormones are out of whack it may hinder weight loss. When my thyroid was tanked it was impossible to lose weight no matter how perfectly I ate or worked out!! Check out our thyroid section on LCF site...lots of terrific info there.

HTH,

Good luck. Don't give up!
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: granolamom
Stats: HW:241 SW:236/212.6/145
WOE: Atkins <20g net carb/clean eating
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
I'm still new but I would ditch the half & half and use heavy cream like others suggested. Limit cheeses and measure veggies.
granolamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Wow, you guys are great!

Your replies have helped me immensely!
I checked the page about allowable vegetables and was amazed at how wrong I have been about them!
For some reason, weight watchers I think, I have it in my mind that "vegetables are free" as long as they are on the allowable list.
I just weighed some broccoli and was shocked to find out how many carbs are in it! It's been a real eye opener, thanks everyone.

So using all the suggestions I've been given I will:

1. Stop using half and half and use full cream instead.
2. Measure and count my vegetable carbs!
3. Pay more attention to portion sizes and calories.
4. Buy the real Atkins book and read it!
5. Keep going....!

Thank you so much everyone for your support, it has really been a huge help and eye opener for me!

I will keep you posted on my progress!!

Cheers,
Anne
Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
One more thing get yourself a food scale one with gram/oz & ****** is a good site
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #19

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
I checked the page about allowable vegetables and was amazed at how wrong I have been about them!
For some reason, weight watchers I think, I have it in my mind that "vegetables are free" as long as they are on the allowable list.
I just weighed some broccoli and was shocked to find out how many carbs are in it! It's been a real eye opener, thanks everyone.
this is a problem on an ongoing basis for me. I have to weigh things forever... otherwise my "how can this lil low calorie vegetable hurt you?" serving ends up being 8 grams net, and then I have more vegetables and more.

you need to think of them like people think of meat in low fat eating--more as a minor ingredient to add flavor than a substantial serving. *sigh*

best of luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
One other thing--you don't have to write back but at least see where you are in your monthly cycles. I rarely lose weight in the week before and during my cycle--then whoosh once it's over. Plus, you were exercising--so pay more attention to your body fat % and how your clothes fit. Take measurements too. Even with men, if they are building muscle, they may be losing more fat--but the scale doesn't show it. Keep on the WOE and stick it out for at least a month. That will tell a lot.
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mcneilnomore
Stats: 309/305/150
WOE: moderate carbs and calories
Start Date: 3/10/14
The first thing that jumped out at me was that you are taking diuretics. My first week I lost 10 lbs and my second week I lost 2 lbs. I am a big (big big big) water retainer and pretty sure that first 10 lbs was ALL water. You've seen some corrections and I'm sure next week you'll see a loss. Good Luck!
mcneilnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #22
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Quote:
Wow, you guys are great!

Your replies have helped me immensely!

So using all the suggestions I've been given I will:

1. Stop using half and half and use full cream instead.
2. Measure and count my vegetable carbs!
3. Pay more attention to portion sizes and calories.
4. Buy the real Atkins book and read it!
5. Keep going....!

Thank you so much everyone for your support, it has really been a huge help and eye opener for me!

I will keep you posted on my progress!!

Cheers,
Anne

If you do all this and are still not losing reconsider the diuretics. LC is a natural diuretic...talk to your doctor!

Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution: Ch. 14 page 151:
Quote:
Last month's diet pills and diuretics may be slowing you down. Check over again the list of medications you have been taking. As you read in Ch.11, sometimes it isn't even what medications you ARE taking but what you WERE taking that block's diet's progress. You may have stopped taking diet pills several weeks before you started the diet. Nevertheless, in some individuals the rebound effect can linger on. That may blow the diet off course for a while.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #23

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if one needs a diuretic for high blood pressure, the diuretic effect of LC isn't usually enough to replace it, sorry to say. at least in my experience.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I agree about measuring the vegetables. I've upped my carbs but still have to measure out the vegetables.

Another think are you still drinking Fresca? What is that sweetened with?
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynne06
no weight loss

I have been on this diet since Tuesday, so for 5 days...shouldnt I see some weight loss? I am not as strict as most and am allowing myself 20-25 net carbs as I am still nursing. Also I get up in the mornings very shaky and weak and I have become very irritable. I am hoping this will pass. Any suggestions?
gwynne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

I forgot to say Hello! This is my first post and Im glad that I found this site!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: operry1
Stats: SW=203/ CW=192/ GW=160-150
WOE: Low Carb my way 25-40 net carbs daily
Start Date: New start date-1/23/2012
Stay focus and keep LCarbing. I would ditch the oatmeal unless its the flaxseed oatmeal. Regular oatmeal is not allowed on atkins. Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!
operry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shakira
Gwynne06- Welcome to this woe. I am no expert but as a breast feeding mom you may need a few more carbs that the rest of us. Dr. Atkins recommends eating a piece of fruit if you get shaky and such. Maybe a fruit low on the glycemic index.

I just started 10 days ago and what I did was space my food out to avoid the shakes. I would eat my eggs for breakfast and then the bacon as a snack. I would eat half my lunch at lunch time and the other portion as a snack and then dinner. This helped me alot: ) Don't give up maybe in the pregnancy group their is a breastfeeding mom who can give you some more tips or insight. Good luck to you!
Shakira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

thank you Shakira! I will look for that other forum!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: XamyX
Stats: 263/263/199
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/4/2014
Since you are already on a diuretic, you may not see the big losses that others see during the first two weeks since much of that is water loss. I just thought I'd offer that to help you not feel so discouraged.
XamyX is offline   Reply With Quote