Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Dr. Oz and Metamucil 3 TIMES A DAY?

Did anyone see this show about Dr. Oz saying that fiber helps to lower cholesterol and that taking Metamucil 3 times a day will do the trick because there is no way we can get as much fiber as we need through veggies and other food products?

Did my client tell me this right, and if so I'm thinking something just doesn't feel right about taking this product so often.

Can someone enlighten me about this subject? Thanks!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
fiber is a tricky subject. not something everyone agrees on, any more than they do whether brown rice is the healthiest thing you can eat, you know?

first of all, it's two different things, totally unrelated.

insoluble fiber does NOT dissolve and goes right through you undigested. that is the one that keeps your bowels regular. mostly people think, yeah, great stuff! no carbs, tends to keep you full, all that... but others say that some insoluble fiber, especially wheat bran, injures the intestines and leads to some of the same problems wheat gluten does, only this is for EVERYONE, not just people sensitive to it. to make the story short--it makes little holes in the intestines where partially digested stuff that should NOT be getting into your bloodstream DOES get into it. and that can cause autoimmune problems, etc. Dr Eades of Protein Power fame is pretty much leading the cause against fiber, saying it's not good for you.

soluble fiber is not digested by YOU but is digested by the bacteria in your colon. this is the one that can lead to flatulence for some people, especially combined with sulfur in things like broccoli and other crucifer vegetables. this one seems to lower cholesterol and do good things in the blood... BUT recently I was reading some unnerving things about the biproducts of this digestion of soluble fiber by the gut bacteria leading to increased fat storage! not sure if it's an important factor, I am still looking into it.

but the point is, it's not a clear thing.

if you DO want more fiber than you can get in vegetables, I think taking metamucil is just dumb myself. it's not particularly pleasant, and there are better ways to get that fiber.

Our favorite here at LCF seems to be flax! A quarter cup has 8 grams of fiber and makes a fine muffin... that would be the same as 4 teaspoons of metamucil. I believe a serving of metamucil is only a teaspoon, so adding 6 grams of fiber a day is not all THAT much, really. I try for at least 25 grams a day myself.

the gums we use to thicken things, guar, xanthan, and glucommanan, are all fiber as well. shirataki noodles are all fiber, as is oat fiber from Netrition. there are a number of low carb specialties that have LOTS of fiber in them, varying amounts of soluble and insoluble.

not to mention that most of the sugar free metamucil products have other ingredients like aspartame and maltodextrin which many of us avoid.

I am still going with a lot of fiber myself. I eat flax muffins for breakfast and use those other products as well. I would hate to have to cut them back, but I am considering a one month trial to see if it helps with weight loss.

Last edited by ravenrose; 02-18-2011 at 09:31 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
Did anyone see this show about Dr. Oz saying that fiber helps to lower cholesterol and that taking Metamucil 3 times a day will do the trick because there is no way we can get as much fiber as we need through veggies and other food products?

Did my client tell me this right, and if so I'm thinking something just doesn't feel right about taking this product so often.

Can someone enlighten me about this subject? Thanks!
I have a very good digestive elimination tract plus I eat Greens and Veggies daily and get my fiber. I don't believe on taking fiber unless you have "issues" and don't eat your greens/veggies.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #4

Gallery: fawn
He's got some great info lately but this is one of those negative pieces that is picked up.

This advice has the potential to damage the micro villi of the intestines as well as cause mineral imbalances.

When we hear advice like this, go back 100 years or more and think critically about what our ancestors did.

Pushing fiber has become quite popular and is very new advice in the big picture of history and the human frame.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MissMelodie
Stats: 292/283/GW1:160/GW2: 140, 5'6.5 tall
WOE: low carb, under 20 g/day
Start Date: Jan 2, 2011
Very interesting Fawn. I never did buy into the theory that the human body "needs" fiber to be healthy. I eat hardly any fruit (maybe 2 bananas a year, and a few strawberries every couple months) and very little veggies. I only eat salad, and I have those maybe 3-4 times a week. Yet I do #2's on a very consistent basis, I am very regular. Pooping at least 3x a day Sometimes 4. I feel great. In fact, when I eat too much fiber I get gastrointestinal upset. That's why I do not eat fruits and veggies!!!! If I do I keep it to a minimum.
MissMelodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I eat my fruits, vegetables and occasional whole grains and everything is just fine and dandy! I don't understand how people can push organics, green-living, etc. and yet still push products?
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
My GI doc told me DON'T use Metamucil, because psyllium husks cause so much gas and bloating. He said if I want extra fiber, take Fibercon.

(His advice was simply due to the unpleasant side effects of metamucil, not because it is any sort of health risk. But who wants to be bloated and gassy??)
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NoreneH
I use Pysillium husk powder or in capsules.... because I do tend to get constipated on low carb. Learned this from a body builder when they need to be sure things are working right.. so no worries (caution with Pysillium powder... it can thicken in the throat if not taken with a large glass of water) I always drink extra water to make sure
NoreneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoreneH View Post
I use Pysillium husk powder or in capsules.... because I do tend to get constipated on low carb. Learned this from a body builder when they need to be sure things are working right.. so no worries (caution with Pysillium powder... it can thicken in the throat if not taken with a large glass of water) I always drink extra water to make sure
Regular Metamucil is psyllium husk powder - the name is just a brand. And an excuse to charge more .

My view on fiber is that if I'm having constipation problems, supplementing fiber is in my arsenal of solutions. If I'm not having problems, I don't worry about it.

(p.s. Psyllium is too harsh for me, unfortunately - it's the cheapest fiber supplement!)
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoreneH View Post
Yes, it can help things get moving but the body builders I know would never rely on Metamucil because it causes bloating. They always tell me to eat as clean as possible and that will help things move in the right direction.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyheart1
Stats: 218/maintaining 148/150
WOE: 72 NC or less
Start Date: 7/06/07
It seems suspicious to me that we are being told that our fiber requirements are so high that we can't get enough in our diet, & we must resort to metamucil 3 times daily. One dose of that stuff makes things worse for me (& yes, I drink plenty of water). I might as well swallow cement for the consequences I suffer. Also, hasn't that old LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL argument been settled?

There are lots of studies & opinions out there, and the other half are in the "fiber is bad for you & it's fat that keeps you regular camp". All the conflicting info available does make it hard to figure it all out.

Recently, on some bulletin board I saw this signature line, "Studies & statistics are used like the enebriated use lamposts, for support, not illumination." Maybe, that says it all. LOL.
happyheart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lewlew48
I find it confusing as well. I have been taking fiber and like Jarrow Gentle Fiber which is flax and defatted chia seeds. I do mix it with psyllium (yes, psyllium does cause bloat but it works) Also, a lot of the psyllium products out there are mixed with ingredients I don't like so I use plain (ugh) like Organic India or one sweetened with erthyritol which is available on line by nature's flavors.
lewlew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009
Ravenrose, Fawn, would the Inulin that is in the blue container of Metamucil not be a good idea to use? It is a prebiotic, and I thought feeding the good bacteria would be a great idea. It is really gentle for me but it really helps me with top quality BM's. I also sometimes use PGX which has Konjac fiber, glucomannan. It is supposed to help regulate blood glucose, and it helps with the "Im full" feeling.
I especially love flax, use it almost every day, and chia seeds.
As a child I was lucky to go every 3rd day, always constipated. Then in my 20's used lots of herbal laxatives to keep cleaned out. I never need the herbs now and go a couple of times a day. I would be dissapointed to find that the ones I am using now might not be such a good idea.
Thanks for the info and any input.
Linda
lighterbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
i don't know if this was on the same show, but i missed the first part and he said that taking vinegar--2 tsp twice a day before lunch and dinner helps regulate blood sugar---and i agree with that, but when i looked he had a bottle of white distilled vinegar sitting there, wish i would have seen it all, aparently he doesn't know about braggs with the mother in it---i missed the discussion about the white vinegar he had sitting there, did anyone else see this
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterbeing View Post
Ravenrose, Fawn, would the Inulin that is in the blue container of Metamucil not be a good idea to use? It is a prebiotic, and I thought feeding the good bacteria would be a great idea. It is really gentle for me but it really helps me with top quality BM's. I also sometimes use PGX which has Konjac fiber, glucomannan. It is supposed to help regulate blood glucose, and it helps with the "Im full" feeling.
I especially love flax, use it almost every day, and chia seeds.
As a child I was lucky to go every 3rd day, always constipated. Then in my 20's used lots of herbal laxatives to keep cleaned out. I never need the herbs now and go a couple of times a day. I would be dissapointed to find that the ones I am using now might not be such a good idea.
Thanks for the info and any input.
Linda
You know, many don't care for inulin because it can cause bloating in some. If you're used to it then it's a fabulous food for your bacteria to feed on. I add a little to my shake every once in a while. Makes a nice sweetener too.

As long as you're off all those laxatives, don't feel bloated and have a nice easy BM regularly, you're doing just fine!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
I had my fair share of induction digestive "issues" but one thing I learned really fast is that psyllium husk fiber (in capsule form) makes the problem worse for me. Eventually taking vitamins (full dose) on a regular basis and consuming L-Glutamine from time to time seemed to change something--because I've settled into a consistent pattern that works without discomfort. I think the most important thing here is to maintain the health and normal healing of your cells, the fiber supplements being pushed are red herrings IMO.
It certainly helps things when I eat a lot of vegetables though.
spirilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gazoo
Fiber & mortality decrease

MONDAY, Feb. 14 (HealthDay News) -- Eating a diet rich in fiber may reduce your risk of dying from heart disease, respiratory disease or any other cause by 22 percent, researchers from the U.S. National Cancer Institute report.

Diet High in Fiber Might Lengthen Your Life
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I don't see Oz often, but the last time I watched, he had someone on that said we should have 3-4 BM's /day and they should be as big as your head. WHAT????
Eat more fiber was the take home message.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TamTam34
Stats: 170/136/130 5'5
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Feb 6, 2011
does anyone have the recipe for the flax muffins?
TamTam34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyheart1 View Post
It seems suspicious to me that we are being told that our fiber requirements are so high that we can't get enough in our diet, & we must resort to metamucil 3 times daily. One dose of that stuff makes things worse for me (& yes, I drink plenty of water). I might as well swallow cement for the consequences I suffer. Also, hasn't that old LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL argument been settled?

There are lots of studies & opinions out there, and the other half are in the "fiber is bad for you & it's fat that keeps you regular camp". All the conflicting info available does make it hard to figure it all out.

Recently, on some bulletin board I saw this signature line, "Studies & statistics are used like the enebriated use lamposts, for support, not illumination." Maybe, that says it all. LOL.
That is one of the best lines I have ever heard.

I also like the Mark Twain quote: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

I am up to my eyeballs in education research right now and it is pretty much the same. Everyone has their pet theory they are out to prove and some other ox they want to gore.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
It his statement that this would help to get more fiber into us thus helping to lower our cholesterol that is not sitting right with me. He was not referring to having "bathroom issues" or how many times we should "go" but stressing that we need more fiber for good cholesterol and using this laxative would help to achieve this!

Last edited by Beeb; 02-20-2011 at 05:53 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nutmeg
Stats: 183/172.0/140 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 1, 2009
Dr. Oz had a pre-cancerous polyp that was discovered when he had a colonoscopy done for his show. He is probably interested in huge amounts of fiber because of that.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #23

Beeb

Fiber "grabs" old cells, hormones and cholesterol eliminating them in the waste. About 50% of our cholesterol is recycled. (the simple explanation)
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: satina
I dont use any fiber supplements of any kind nor do I plan to. I'll take my chances.
satina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I am so confused! I have a bottle of PGX that I am afraid to use because I keep reading that people have died from the fiber clogging up in the esophagus or something like that.
I bought inulin and now afraid to use it because I just read that it feeds the bad bacteria and yeast in the body as well as the good. Everything bloats me so I just use
all this stuff late in the day so it happens at night and doesn't offend everyone.
Guar doesn't bother me too bad in small amounts but it is a soluble fiber and I know that I need to increase insoluble fiber. I do use guar and xanthan in small amounts as thickeners.
Flax bloats me really bad so I stay away from that. Any suggestions?
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
If I eat beans, oatmeal, or bread, I become severely constipated and get heartburn. Once, I took psyllium husks and became very sick! Constipation, bloating and severe heartburn pain. Beans, oatmeal and pasta are like a recipe for illness for me. I know if I eat them, I'm going to suffer.

The only way I am totally comfortable is to eat protein and lots of fat with moderate amounts of vegetables and a little fruit. Totally comfortable and easy in the bathroom...plus zero heartburn.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
The reality is that *something* is going to kill us. It may be cancer...heart disease or just old age. Nobody gets out alive.

My body was made in a wondrous manner and I do better when I listen to what it's telling me and not the 'experts'.

Even eating 900-1200 calories per day with 60-70% fat and less than 20 carbs, I have no trouble with bowel elimination. Every morning, after I've been up and moving for about an hour, I know where I'll be and I don't have problems with constipation. I do drink at least 64 fl oz of liquid (water and caffeine free tea) as well. I think the water and fat are responsible for this.

I don't need to force feed myself excessive amounts of fruit, vegies and artificial fiber drinks (i.e. Metamucil) to create what I see as artificial elimination because it's supposedly good for something else (cholesterol, etc.).

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: juspoppy
Yes, I did see the Dr Oz pgm this week where he said to have a teaspoon of Metamucil 3 times a day. I have the jar of Metamucil beside me and it does say an adult can take a level teaspoon 3 times a day to help settle down elimination processes.
The Dr Oz pgm demonstrated how when a cupful of liquid fat is added to a large container of Metamucil and water (which looks like poison jelly fish vomit) it surrounds the fat and according to Dr Oz prevents the fat from settling in the stomach and later being turned into stored fat. So the Metamucil helps you to lose weight because if helps prevent excess fat from being accumulated in the body.
juspoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: juspoppy
yes he did say that and so does the jar of Metamucil.
juspoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #30
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juspoppy View Post
Yes, I did see the Dr Oz pgm this week where he said to have a teaspoon of Metamucil 3 times a day. I have the jar of Metamucil beside me and it does say an adult can take a level teaspoon 3 times a day to help settle down elimination processes.
The Dr Oz pgm demonstrated how when a cupful of liquid fat is added to a large container of Metamucil and water (which looks like poison jelly fish vomit) it surrounds the fat and according to Dr Oz prevents the fat from settling in the stomach and later being turned into stored fat. So the Metamucil helps you to lose weight because if helps prevent excess fat from being accumulated in the body.
Taking laxatives in order to lose weight is not good for your body - period.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote