Old 06-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamTam34 View Post
does anyone have the recipe for the flax muffins?
Funny, just posted it for someone else a bit ago and still had it saved to paste!

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal (I ground up 1/4 cup of whole flax seeds in a coffee grinder)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda packet
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter (I didn't melt mine before hand and it seemed to work just fine)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

The shape of this can be changed by making it in a bowl.

It can be "toasted" once it's cooked.

The cinnamon can be replaced. I would imagine that any sugar free syrup could be added.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11.1g Carbohydrate; 8.8mg fiber (net carbs 2.3) 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LeahGraceG
Stats: 150 (postpartum)/119.6/110 (someday after baby)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Nov 2011
Personally, I've found that large quantities of fiber can easily constipate me -- or at least do not affect my regularity as dramatically as people say they should.

I prefer to take a probiotics capsule every day (8 billion live little beasties in there!), which has lots of health benefits. For me, one of them is regularity. Seems to get things working properly down there.
LeahGraceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahGraceG View Post
Personally, I've found that large quantities of fiber can easily constipate me -- or at least do not affect my regularity as dramatically as people say they should.

I prefer to take a probiotics capsule every day (8 billion live little beasties in there!), which has lots of health benefits. For me, one of them is regularity. Seems to get things working properly down there.

Love my probiotics- Pearl brand. I recommend everyone takes them for so many reasons! Make sure you get one that gets deep into the "gut" and doesn't totally dissolve before it gets there, from what I've read.
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by juspoppy View Post
Yes, I did see the Dr Oz pgm this week where he said to have a teaspoon of Metamucil 3 times a day. I have the jar of Metamucil beside me and it does say an adult can take a level teaspoon 3 times a day to help settle down elimination processes.
The Dr Oz pgm demonstrated how when a cupful of liquid fat is added to a large container of Metamucil and water (which looks like poison jelly fish vomit) it surrounds the fat and according to Dr Oz prevents the fat from settling in the stomach and later being turned into stored fat. So the Metamucil helps you to lose weight because if helps prevent excess fat from being accumulated in the body.

If metamucil stuck to carbs and kept them from "settling" in the stomach and turning to fat, I'd use it everyday.

I have some metamucil, but my bowels are happy so I never have a reason to use it.

So Oz is saying Metamucil is stronger than Bile? Cause, Y'know, Bile is pretty strong caustic stuff, the metamucil would have to completely surround the fat molecule to keep the bile from dissolving the fat into the smaller particles capable of being moved about the body. So , Dang Metamucil must be the pretty darn strong product to completely bind fat from being absorbed anywhere along the small intestines.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 06-19-2011 at 06:14 PM..
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I have tummy issues...but not with C, but D. I do add 2 teaspoons of Benefiber to my water twice a day and it keeps me from sitting on the potty all day. But LC is helping to calm my intestinal issues too so I might stop adding the stuff to my water eventually.

I tried Metamucil when my GI suggested it a few months ago when my tummy issues got really bad. YUCK. The nasty stuff made me 10 times worse.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by juspoppy View Post
The Dr Oz pgm demonstrated how when a cupful of liquid fat is added to a large container of Metamucil and water (which looks like poison jelly fish vomit) it surrounds the fat and according to Dr Oz prevents the fat from settling in the stomach and later being turned into stored fat. So the Metamucil helps you to lose weight because if helps prevent excess fat from being accumulated in the body.
Thank you for explaining his reasoning. After the effort I make to eat high-fat, that's the last thing I'd want! Since I've kept my calories >70% fat, I've never had a problem that would make me look for a laxative. My first thought when I read the top of the thread was, how long did it take for the first Metamucil ad to appear?
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: G.Netic
No one thing works for everyone the same

I was searching Google for the possible reasons why I have been having terrible gas ever since I changed my diet and started fiber supplements by using Metamucil. Sure enough, it is a pretty common problem, yet if you go to Metamucil’s web site, they suggest that there product does not cause any more gas than most other sources of fiber. Not true, I can get fiber in other ways, and none of it will produce the bloating and gas I get from Metamucil. The simple truth about how our bodies react to fiber, fat, protein, or anything else is all directly related to genetics. We are all different, and what is good for one of us, may not be good for all of us.
Yes, I located the source of the most terrible bloating and horrible odor to boot. It is the fiber supplement, namely speaking of Metamucil. I was using the orange sweet one, and I hated it, so I was hoping I would finish it soon. Now I know that it will go into the garbage.
I also bought Inulin, and had been putting a heaping teaspoon into my protein shake after my gym workout. That shake is made of unsweetened Almond milk, two scoops of Abbots lab’s chocolate protein power, one teaspoon of inulin, and one teaspoon of creatine. I would drink that shake within and hour of working out, and right before dinner.
I will stop my regular 3 teaspoons of Metamucil, which was taken with water once a day, and see if the inulin will still cause bloating all by itself. I have a lactose intolerance, so that's why I use the Almond milk, but milk is not the only source of lactose, so keeping it out of my diet is a constant battle which I never win.
I am 57, and get a wonderful result from the workout at the gym. I also modified my diet and dropped what little body fat I had, and replaced that with muscle. I always enjoyed the gym, but had been away from it for a lot of years. Being a genetically slim person, I never looked out of shape in my clothes, but I could feel the difference. I reached a point where doing yard work, or other things that use to always be easy for me, now caused me to develop pains in my shoulders,, my wrists, my elbow, and so on. That was all a result of not having the muscles to keep the stress off of the bones, tendons and ligaments.
Those golden words ring truer then ever, the road to a long pleasant life includes a healthy diet, and exercise.
G.Netic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lovelymc72
WOE: low carb
I was just telling my husband that the other day. The worse stomach pains ever. I got really scared.
lovelymc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CuriousCat
Stats: 215/150/145-135 range or lower
WOE: LCHF under 20gms total carbs
Start Date: 11/21/13
I ran across a study that showed a high fiber diet prescribed after a heart attack actually increased death rates by 27 percent. I can't find it now of course to link it. I have to wonder if it's the "fat binding" that was the reason behind that happening? Dr. OZ is fat phobic so I don't pay no attention to him.
CuriousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
In most of human history we did not consume a lot of fiber just like we didn't consume a lot of carbs.

Why do we suddenly need it so much?
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote