LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Krissy66
Stats: I'm not overweight, I'm undertall
WOE: (VSG 11/28/12)
Start Date: June, 2008
What puts you into deep ketosis?

It's just so strange. I was in deep ketosis a couple of days ago, then poof! Only slightly lavender today. No carbs, no wine, no frankenfoods at all.
Krissy66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: palmer1290
I've seen people answer this a million times. If you drink a lot of water, the ketostix will be a lighter color. But as long as it's purple, you're good.
palmer1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I've been drinking a ton of water.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Truly I don't believe there is such a thing as "deep ketosis"... the sticks just register how diluted (or not) ketones are in your system. If you are well hydrated, if you use most of them for energy, if you JUST ate lots of dietary fat, it will show as changes on the stick.

The darkest I have ever had was doing the fat fast when I had just eaten a bunch of whip cream.. I had LOTS of ketones and thus a dark stick because of burning dietary fat... not because of burning body fat.

IMO.. Ketosis is Ketosis.

Last edited by daisyHair; 02-17-2011 at 09:07 AM..
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristen777
Start Date: 1/2/2011
i tried the sticks once before and always felt like i was failing because they would never seem dark enough..now i just go by the scale and how my clothes fit to know i am in ketosis
kristen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JSmooth619
Stats: 230/200/160
Start Date: Nov. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Truly I don't believe there is such a thing as "deep ketosis"... the sticks just register how diluted (or not) ketones are in your system. If you are well hydrated, if you use most of them for energy, if you JUST ate lots of dietary fat, it will show as changes on the stick.

The darkest I have ever had was doing the fat fast when I had just eaten a bunch of whip cream.. I had LOTS of ketones and thus a dark stick because of burning dietary fat... not because of burning body fat.

IMO.. Ketosis is Ketosis.
I agree 100% I remember a poster here on LCF once said "ketosis is like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't. There is NO in between"
JSmooth619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
Any shade past negative is good. The only thing that brought me past moderate was a 24 hour no food/no water fast. I felt like crap too.
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mccb17
Stats: 439/250(met!)/239/235 6'0"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3 January 2011
I never use keto stix myself. But my good friend follows Atkins and uses them. He said that when he ate lots of seafood, they turned dark right away. But when he ate steak a lot, he actually lost weight faster.
mccb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tidalwaves
WOE: Low Carb
I got down to 130 eating only saurkraut and jalapeno keilbasa, which was 4 carbs all day. My skin looked good, got all my veggies in, and each meal was a balanced proportion of fat, protein and carbs within in a good calorie range for me. I didn't stick with it though for several reasons:

- who wants to eat saurkraut and weiners every day repetitively? It's one of my favorite foods, but getting an overload on the same vitamins and same minerals and same fats every single day isn't healthy or realistic. Keep in mind that I was still taking a multivitamin with several other supplements.

- I was so starved for other foods that I binged on cheese and peanut butter which quickly kicked out of ketosis and then I'm stuck eating saurkraut again, leading to the same cycle.

- I had a lot of energy, couldn't sleep well, and had the shakes all the time. Oh, and my hair was falling out severely.

- AND my breath was unbearable

So I wouldn't recommend what I did, but if you get desperate enough go for it, just remember to get in your multivitamins and drink that water.

Now I'm sticking to maintenance level carbs most days. Some days I have 20 carbs, others (mostly) 40-50, and others (rarely) 200. The days that I have higher carbs, I reduce my calories as well. I maintain 140. I am 5'4'' and a medium muscular frame. I'm content with being 140, but boy I sure looked good at 130. I'm thinking about getting more strict on the carbs. Cutting out the cheese, cutting out the low carb desserts and protein bars, weekend drinking, etc. This passed month has really been too easy for me. I don't feel like I'm on a diet at all. I think my body has got comfortable with what I'm doing now, so I'll have to cinch down my food choices again to just meat, coffee, and vegetables. Oh, and 2-3 liters of water

Last edited by Tidalwaves; 02-17-2011 at 10:01 AM..
Tidalwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

What was your starting weight before #130? I don't think that would appeal to me...the gas would be incredible, no?
I wonder if the vinegar pickling in the saurkraut had anything to do with it.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I don't know Krissy, I wondered that too actually. I adore pickles but I can NOT drink straight vinegar. My stomach comfort is too important to me.

Oh and My god the gas. I don't even want to discuss it. Eating that for 2 times a day with generous portions. I could have jet packed my way to school. Exhaust fumes and all.

I was on birth control for a few months and it made me gain 15 pounds. It broke my heart when I saw the doctor write down 158 lbs on the tablet. I was desperate to lose it quick, so I quit taking the bc and had trouble losing the weight I had gained from it. That's what led me to low carb. I thought it was the most unhealthy thing I had ever heard of, I was willing to do it though because I knew it worked. It's wonderful to find out that it was the healthiest diet I could have chose.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

That's awesome. I am actually "sans" gas eating LC. Very weird. No bloat, no water retention. I just wish I would have a great big WHOOSH soon!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

You probably will soon. Just hang in there. How long did you say that it's been since you've lost lbs?

But yes it's funny how low carb does people differently. Sorry if this is TMI but before I went on this diet I never pooped and now I go maybe twice a day. Then there's poor Rochester who couldn't poop if you stuck a cathether in him.

Sometimes I bloat because I drink diet sodas, but its not bad these days. I've been sticking around on the water threat. 2L a day minimum.

Last edited by Tidalwaves; 02-17-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy66 View Post
It's just so strange. I was in deep ketosis a couple of days ago, then poof! Only slightly lavender today. No carbs, no wine, no frankenfoods at all.
Ketosis is ketosis. The darker your "stix" the more water you need because you can be dehydrated.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I've lost about 9lbs in the past two weeks or so. I stayed away from the scale (BAD IDEA) for a while....Denial aint' a river in Egypt.
Back on the scale, back on track.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Dang 9 lbs in two weeks!? Shoooooo!! That's a load off! You're just 20 lbs from goal too. I suspect you could get there comfortably in 2-3 more months. Just keep doing what you're doing. And I agree with the others. It's probably just deluded. As long as its purple at all then you're still in the club. I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not in deep ketosis, or at all probably, but my carbs are in check and my pants still fit me so I'm pretty statisfied.

My inches lost are more important than weight for me. I can weigh140 on low carb, and then 140 on low calorie. Then I look at my body composition and I look about 10 lbs slimmer on low carb even though I weigh the same. I'm not sure what those "inches" we lose are composed of, but I'm curious if someone else can answer that for me.

I don't work out either, just light walking around campus. I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but I'm naturally muscular.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Oh how I was naturally muscular! I'm naturally hippy with a donkey bootie. My boyfriend is Latino and he has no issues with it!. When I started getting a thick waist and a chubby face, that's when I knew I was in trouble!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's awesome. I am actually "sans" gas eating LC. Very weird. No bloat, no water retention. I just wish I would have a great big WHOOSH soon!
i never, ever have gas either..in fact, if i do, i immediately go through my menu to figure out what i ate that was probably too high in carbs for me
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #19

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yeah, probably just repeating, that the lighter color probably just means your urine is more diluted from drinking water. that's good.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassieladyAZ
Stats: 171/143.6/133 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: Feb.2010
Ok, Im glad someone asked because I wondered the same. Even with a medical background, I didn't know it was all or nothing. My stix change a little too, but for two weeks now, it's official...I've been in ketosis the whole time! ***back pat***
SassieladyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: martsy
what reasons not to be in ketosis,I have been in induction to the letter for three weeks?
martsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen777 View Post
i tried the sticks once before and always felt like i was failing because they would never seem dark enough..now i just go by the scale and how my clothes fit to know i am in ketosis
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
my stix will go darker if I have a diet mostly in beef regardless of how much water I'm drinking. It tends to be lighter with other proteins such as chicken and turkey without any change in my water intake. Just something I've noticed! I love beef and I love seeing that stick turn dark purple...it has become a habit now to use them daily
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
occasionally TOM will make my ketostix lighter or kick me out of ketosis. Not every month, but sometimes. Who knows why!? The mysteries of femininity, I suppose.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
Stats: 325/293.8/150
WOE: low carb
I haven't purchased any ketosticks this time around. I figured why give myself one more thing to obsess about? But maybe I should check every once in awhile to make sure I am still burning fat. Of course, now I obsess about blood sugars. I wasn't diabetic before.
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oldcrazimoma
Stats: 167/159/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I've given up on the stix also. I can't make them change to purple. But I am on chantix; thinking it might have something to do with it. And i drink around 60-80 oz of h2o a day & pee 100 times a day lol
oldcrazimoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
What was your starting weight before #130? I don't think that would appeal to me...the gas would be incredible, no?
I wonder if the vinegar pickling in the saurkraut had anything to do with it.
As a tangent, sauerkraut has no vinegar in it. It is cabbage pounded with a bit of salt, and then left to ferment. The sourness comes from lactic acid bacteria (the same kind that make yogurt) from the fermentation process. It makes it a probiotic food (like yogurt and miso).

Coleslaw, on the other hand, is made with vinegar and is not fermented.

And "pickles" can be either pickled in brine and left to ferment (like kraut), or pickled in acid and be vinegary. Both are called "pickling". That's why there are so many different kinds of pickles out there.

I have a fermentation crock full of cabbage-becoming-sauerkraut in my laundry room. In another week or so it'll be done. I can't wait!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fawnifer
Stats: 236.4/190.2/125 (restart 5/14/12 after pregnancy)
WOE: High fat/Low carb
Start Date: 5/4/2010 (restart 1/1/13)
synger how long do pickles/kraut take to pickle in a fermentation crock? I'm thinking of getting one for my pantry to pickle my cukes the garden will produce this summer
fawnifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmarie View Post
I haven't purchased any ketosticks this time around. I figured why give myself one more thing to obsess about? But maybe I should check every once in awhile to make sure I am still burning fat. Of course, now I obsess about blood sugars. I wasn't diabetic before.
oh, you just reminded me of a question i had...does anyone think a dr would prescribe testing strips? i'd like to start monitoring my bs again, as i had GD while i was pregnant and was considered borderline diabetic...i'm just wondering if this is a crazy idea to ask a dr for strips when he isn't concerned with diabetes right now..i'd really rather not pay out of pocket
Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Synger, I LOVE homemade saurkraut. Put a little bratwurst and liquid smoke in that and my eyes gloss over with joy.