Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sabinchia
Side effects of low carb

Hi! I am a low carb diet newbie, can you tell me what "side effects" to expect from the induction phase? I dont wanna freak out or harm myself. I am pretty healthy (no medical condition) but there are still lots of people that don't reccommend the low carb...anyway..thanks for your help! Also Im 5.2 at 145lb, do you know how much I can reasonably expect to lose in the first 2 weeks?

Thank you everyone
sabinchia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Your best option is to read the book that you think you want to prescribe to. My personal favorite is Atkins.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinchia View Post
Hi! I am a low carb diet newbie, can you tell me what "side effects" to expect from the induction phase?
Hi sabinchia…
The side effects I experienced were:
  • Wonderfully full and satisfied
  • Slightly guilty eating that much butter and eggs and bacon and cheese (got over it quickly)
  • No more gas (wife still thrilled)
  • Spent time enjoying my food instead of attacking it…

Didn't have induction flu, didn't buy ketostix, didn't weigh in, just relaxed and enjoyed all the great food and ability to snack if necessary to not be hungry.

Different folks different reactions and responses...but if you are faithful to induction, you will lose what you lose, and not an ounce more. There is no way to predict…

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassieladyAZ
Stats: 171/143.6/133 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: Feb.2010
**weightloss**
SassieladyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/231/160
WOE: Not sure at the moment
Start Date: Restart at 235 1/30/2014
You might go through a bit of induction flu but I have found that once you get past about Day 3 you will feel awesome. Some people who lose rapidly have leg cramps but that can be avoided with supplements.
FitMommyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I agree with reading the book also. It explains a lot about the diet and what to expect.

I will tell you though that some people experience the "Atkins flu" . I experience it on about day two and three. Your body is getting used to the diet and taking in extra salt can help this. Don't forget to take a multivitamin also. After those days of feeling like this you may have a lot of energy (which is wonderful). I feel so much better on low carb than I do low fat. I have much more energy and don't feel that "heavy" feeling.

Everybody reacts to the diet differently though. Some never experience the "Atkins flu". Some people have diarrhea while others have constipation and still others don't have either.

Just remember to drink plenty of water and don't forget to have some veggies while still doing low carb
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
a lot of people say weight loss is a side effect of "healthier living"...not being snarky, many feel that way. i do not. i never did "induction" to a tee. i know people liken it to the flu. i never read the book either. wish i had. just bought dandr the other day. i don't read "well" however....trouble concentrating. i read everything here though. who say LC isn't healthy? you will find scores of research suggesting otherwise....particularly from the smart people here.
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Hi! I am a low carb diet newbie, can you tell me what "side effects" to expect from the induction phase? I dont wanna freak out or harm myself. I am pretty healthy (no medical condition) but there are still lots of people that don't reccommend the low carb...anyway..thanks for your help! Also Im 5.2 at 145lb, do you know how much I can reasonably expect to lose in the first 2 weeks?

Thank you everyone
How much do you want to lose?

What was your diet like before starting?

When you start, the majority of the weight loss is water not fat.

You will not harm yourself, if you stick to whole foods.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sabinchia
Wow thank you all for you quick responses! I will get the book.

I have unsuccessfully tried to eat less and work out, never been on a plan/diet per se.
I am Italian italian just moved here 3 years ago, so pasta is a daily if not twice a day deal to be accompanied with lots of bread.....
So now I am ready for a change
I weigh 145 at 5.2, always been overweight but never really heavy, ,y goal is 120lb but im sure ill be excited at 130lb, its been so long since I weighed 130, before my first child 4 years ago!

Will I feel energetic enough to work out from day 1 or should I wait a few days and see how my body reacts to the diet itself?

ANd I am thrilled about the gas issue, I will have my hubby get on it, he could lose 20lb too!!!
sabinchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Regarding exercise, don't be surprised if you don't have similar energy levels.

See this current thread:

I'm about to throw in the towel......

It addresses LCing and endurance athletics.
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
...Will I feel energetic enough to work out from day 1 or should I wait a few days and see how my body reacts to the diet itself?
Hi sabinchia…
perspective is everything.

I've never been an exercise person (on purpose) and low carb actually brought a boost to my energy levels. It smoothed them out would perhaps be a better way of putting it.

I don't wear out as soon through the day.

People have different responses to this wonderful way of eating...

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassieladyAZ
Stats: 171/143.6/133 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: Feb.2010
I experience lower energy when it comes to exercise. Although, I feel SO good in general when doing LC
SassieladyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janisko
Stats: 207/137/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2004
Quote:
Wow thank you all for you quick responses! I will get the book.

I have unsuccessfully tried to eat less and work out, never been on a plan/diet per se.
I am Italian italian just moved here 3 years ago, so pasta is a daily if not twice a day deal to be accompanied with lots of bread.....
I weigh 145 at 5.2, always been overweight but never really heavy, ,y goal is 120lb but im sure ill be excited at 130lb, its been so long since I weighed 130, before my first child 4 years ago!

Will I feel energetic enough to work out from day 1 or should I wait a few days and see how my body reacts to the diet itself?

ANd I am thrilled about the gas issue, I will have my hubby get on it, he could lose 20lb too!!!
Here's more on what to expect, at least from my experience...

I had high cholesterol so the whole idea of all this saturated fat scared me. It took awhile before I could actually eat butter. Guess what? My high cholesterol is history. I have the most amazing cholesterol numbers now. The lab computer throws me out as abnormal. My doctor just laughs because he says I fall into a category only 5% of adults fall into. Why, you might wonder? We burn fat for energy. We don't store it in our arteries.

This style of eating also stabilizes and lowers blood sugar levels, making it an ideal way of eating for everyone but especially type 2 diabetics.

So you see... low carb IS VERY HEALTHY. Don't believe the naysayers and media negativity. Most have no idea what they are talking about. And besides all this you'll find you'll probably need less sleep, while you have endless energy. Carbs just bog you down.

I was never hungry and truly enjoyed eating the low carb choices right from the beginning. I didn't think I'd be able to stick to it though because I LOVED potatoes and pasta. After about a week I didn't even miss them. Once you're off "white" food it's easy to say no to it.

So.. that's ALL good news. The bad news is that low-carbing is a lifestyle and can't be an on again, off again, way of eating if you want to stay healthy. You go into fat burning mode instead of burning carbs for energy. If you go on and off and on and off you'll stay in carb burning mode and the fat won't be good for you.

I strongly recommend reading the Atkins book (if that's the low carb plan of choice for you) and following it to the letter for the best success. It explains everything about how to do it and why it is so healthy. You might also want to check out atkins.com if you haven't already.

I wish you well and hope you're half as happy with this way of eating that I am.

Last edited by janisko; 02-16-2011 at 06:35 PM..
janisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #14

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
this is easier in some ways for people who really ARE obese, we know what we need to do, which is to eat like this forever.

losing weight by low carbing and then going back to a high carb diet is normally a guarantee you will regain what you lose, and more.

you need to think about this too, not just the couple of months it will take to lose that weight.

in most ways, it is just healthier and better for your self esteem to stay where you are and concentrate on not GAINING than to lose and regain, over and over. that is how people DO develop those medical conditions...

best of luck, I just want you to be realistic about this.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
I was tired for a few days. Don't know which plan you want to follow but Protein Power says wait a week before exercising (if you're not already) because you may feel tired while switching between a glucose fuel system and a fat fuel system. This also caused me to have cravings the first few days--by day 3, they were gone.

With that said, I also got headaches--probably from Diet Coke which I was drinking. Stick to clean water the first few weeks.

Good luck--hopefully LC will work for you.
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote