LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alowcarbgoddess
Stats: Start/Current/First Goal: 223/217/199
WOE: Low carb/close to vegetarian
How to stay low-carb at Disneyland?

How would you do it?

I haven't been in years. But every time I've gone, we've eaten so much fried food and candy, etc. I really don't want to do that. I know I'd just feel horrible. I've had a few off-plan days recently and it's just not worth it for me.

Thanks for any advice.
alowcarbgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hershdogg1
Stats: 272/202/199 5'11"
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: 1/10/11
bring food...not much in the way of good choices at the park. Beef Jerky, cheese sticks, nuts etc.
hershdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tidalwaves
WOE: Low Carb
I've seen a couple times they've served those turkey legs, not worth the $8 though. Could you stomach in deli meat? Surely they'd have sandwiches that you could unbread.

I just remembered that you're on a vegetarian plan though, so maybe you could bring your own low carb wraps and put in sandwich meat with some onion and chive dip? I don't know thats a tough one. Toting your cooler around a theme park doesn't sound fun.

You could try the various sorts of low sugar protein bars, and just keep that in your purse or fanny pack (lol). Cheese sticks, diet soda, peanut butter and celery sticks.. you could look for WATCH ME SRINKS protein balls that are made with natural peanut butter and some other things to carry with you. I always come prepared to these places.

I'm gonna say though, just enjoy your time there. If you go the whole weekend without splurging on anything then you really are a low carb goddess.
Tidalwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
This is a great thread as we were thinking of planning a vacation to Disney this year. These are great tips and I'm subscribing!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I just went to Disneyland this past October and yes, I low carbed it the entire time! We stayed at one of the Disney resorts (Pop Century) and bought the meal plan and I had no problem finding something to eat for my meals. While they had the usual fare, I was able to have bacon and eggs for breakfast, and burgers, grilled chicken, baked fished (I forget what else) with salad for dinner. I also kept some low carb snacks in my room. I don't trust the store bought beef jerky, so I made some at home and took it in my suitcase.

Since our meal plan also covered some of the eating places in the parks, that offered even more variety.

You will have absolutely no problem staying low carb at Disney...if you choose.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DC12
Stats: 252/251/144 by 44th b-day 4/15/15
WOE: Sugar Busters, working my way to Atkins
Start Date: 5/25/14
I've never been to Disneyland so I don't know but I work at Disney World and if you go to the Magic Kingdom, Pecos Bills is a good choice because they have sauteed onions and mushrooms you can put on a bunless burger. Not sure if there's any hidden sugars in those though. Just don't go during traditional meal times because they get packed. At Epcot, I like the Season's Cafeteria in "The Land" (where Soarin' is located). They have rotisserie chicken, vegetables, salad, etc. There is a new Comparo Chicken restaurant in Downtown Disney that has grilled chicken. I like the turkey legs but they can get old if that's all you eat. A lot of people don't know that you can bring a very small cooler with you to the parks. Just fill it up with food you can eat and it will go through security just fine. Oh yeah, in Downtown Disney we have an AMC Movie Theater and they allow you to bring your own food and drinks! I have taken advantage of this a few times. Feel free to ask me any questions Have a magical time!
DC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Disney World is very easy to do low carb. Any sit down restaurant you go to just tell your wait person that you have dietary restrictions, and they will send a chef to your table to talk to you to make sure you get what you need.

At the Fast Food places, you can ask to look at their book of menu items which includes the ingrediants. I can't remember if it includes carb counts, but just seeing the ingrediants will help.

I've been to Disney Land a few times, but not enough to know if they are as accomodating as Disney World. I woiuld think at least at the Fast Food places there they would have that same book available.

Then avoid walking through the bake shop and ice cream shop, and look the other way when you pass by the corn dogs etc.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
DC12. I will be in DW 2/26-27 for the princess half. I am not buying tix to park, but is there places i can eat without going into park? Or do i have to go outside of DW to eat Staying at port orleans.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
When my husband and I went to D-World, we brought our own food in a cooler. It's SO EXPENSIVE, and eating park food will make you feel super by the end of the day.

Have fun!
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
DC12. I will be in DW 2/26-27 for the princess half. I am not buying tix to park, but is there places i can eat without going into park? Or do i have to go outside of DW to eat Staying at port orleans.
Plenty of places to eat when not in the park. From Port Orleans you can hop on a boat to go to Downtown Disney, where there are quite a few restaurants.

At both Port Orleans Resorts (there are technically two - one is French Quarter and one is Riverside) they have a Food Court. At Riverside they also have a restaurant called Boatwrights.

I'd suggest you go to Allearsnet and look up dining options. You can see the menus there for the various restaurants. If you have a car it is easier to drive to other hotel locations to eat, but if not it is still easy to get to Downtown Disney. Also very close is Saratoga Springs and Old Key West Resort - both of which you can catch the boat to when you are at Downtown Disney.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DC12
Stats: 252/251/144 by 44th b-day 4/15/15
WOE: Sugar Busters, working my way to Atkins
Start Date: 5/25/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
You can go to Downtown Disney. There's the chicken place I mentioned, Comparo Chicken, Fresh-a-Peel, Earl of Sandwich has salads and you can eat the insides of a sandwich though their bread is amazing! Wolfgang Puck Express is a little pricier but they have salads, chicken, etc. There's a little bit pricier places as well such as House of Blues, Bongo's, Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Fulton's Crab House, T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe...

You can catch a Disney bus or boat from Port Orleans for free to Downtown Disney if you don't have a vehicle. Port Orleans has restaurants but I've never eaten there and if you have a car, you can drive over to Cross Roads at the intersection of Buena Vista and 535. They have a Quiznos, Buffalo Wild Wings, McDonalds, Taco Bell, TGI Friday's, Red Lobster, Uno's, Perkins, Fudruckers, and my favorite, Sweet Tomatoes where to can build your own salads and they have yummy soups.

Have a great race! Wave at me from Downtown Disney, I work across the street
DC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC12 View Post
You can go to Downtown Disney. There's the chicken place I mentioned, Comparo Chicken, Fresh-a-Peel, Earl of Sandwich has salads and you can eat the insides of a sandwich though their bread is amazing! Wolfgang Puck Express is a little pricier but they have salads, chicken, etc. There's a little bit pricier places as well such as House of Blues, Bongo's, Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Fulton's Crab House, T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe...

You can catch a Disney bus or boat from Port Orleans for free to Downtown Disney if you don't have a vehicle. Port Orleans has restaurants but I've never eaten there and if you have a car, you can drive over to Cross Roads at the intersection of Buena Vista and 535. They have a Quiznos, Buffalo Wild Wings, McDonalds, Taco Bell, TGI Friday's, Red Lobster, Uno's, Perkins, Fudruckers, and my favorite, Sweet Tomatoes where to can build your own salads and they have yummy soups.

Have a great race! Wave at me from Downtown Disney, I work across the

street

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Asiago
WOE: WLS/RNY
Start Date: April 23, 2012
Are you going to California or Florida?

Check this site out - allearsnet.com If you look under dining, you can find menus for Disney World or Disneyland. Makes it a snap to plan!
Asiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alowcarbgoddess
Stats: Start/Current/First Goal: 223/217/199
WOE: Low carb/close to vegetarian
Thanks for the suggestions. I am doing Disneyland in California, just for 1 day. I'll be at the park all day though, so that was my concern. Last time all I remember eating is crappy food from stands. Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll find low-carb foods, I'm sure.
alowcarbgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Asiago
WOE: WLS/RNY
Start Date: April 23, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alowcarbgoddess View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I am doing Disneyland in California, just for 1 day. I'll be at the park all day though, so that was my concern. Last time all I remember eating is crappy food from stands. Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll find low-carb foods, I'm sure.
Have a great time!!! Check out the Bengal Barbecue...I know they have meat skewers but not sure about the sauces. However they do have bacon wrapped asparagus. Maybe you could just get asparagus (if you don't do meat). The fruit stands should have lower carb fruits and huge dill pickles.

The candy shops have more and more sf items avail too. I know there is the sugar alcohol issue, but it is a nice legal treat and helps to not feel left out.

Enjoy!
Asiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeandcream
Stats: 228/199/160
WOE: LC
Start Date: October 2012
I would bring stuff...it's not easy to LC at Disneyland, IMO.
coffeeandcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jambabob
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 1st 2004
The turkey leg in my avatar is from Disneyland. These are great. They raised the price from $6 to $8. It's still with it.
Jambabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bungle
Stats: -11/50
Start Date: March 2010
Bengal bbq is a good bet. The bacon asparagus sticks are so yummy. Also salads are a good bet, just ask for full fat dressing.
Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am hoping to score a turkey leg!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Calidreamer
Stats: 242/161/142
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 10, 2010
On the California side they have a place that sells the soup bowls and I ordered a really good chicken ceasar salad for lunch. The restaurants on the strip (can't think of the name but outside the Hotel California) had lots of lowcarb choices - steaks, seafood etc. You can always have a hot dog or cheeseburger and toss the bun. We went last year early on in my Atkins life and I lost 3 lbs that week. Lots and lots of walking, drinking lots of water and eating very low carb - good times!!! Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Calidreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
Bless anyone able to do this successfully for an entire trip! There are plenty of choices especially on the dining plan and particularly if you choose a buffet. They always have meats, salads, fruit (if you can do that), and veggies. I applaud those who can do it I really do - for DH and I, we diet January thru August (go there for 2 weeks) then diet through to Christmas! We take it easy but there are just some things I'm not willing to give up forever. Do your best and THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is not to let any trip or event derail you overall. Have a fantastic time!