Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: neverred
Coming off a ketogenic Diet

Hi, I'm currently on a keto diet and have lost about 20 pounds in about 3 and a half weeks which I'm very happy with. It's a great start to my 50 pound goal by the end of the year.

I have decided that I'd like to revert to a more balanced diet in seeking a more gradual weight loss over the year.

I'm aware that you can't just jump back on the carbs because you'll just put all the weight back on.

What is the best way to stop a keto diet without the weight gain. Or the best way to minimise it?

I'm sorry if people have answered this question time and time again! haha

Please also note, that I've not been following atkins or anything; just eating very low carbs each day.

I figured, as a very crude example that something easily measureable such as a slice of bread could be used to gradually get myself back to a balanced diet without the weight gains. e.g. eat 1 slice a day on top of normal food. Then up it to 2 slices then 3 and so on.

Please help, I don't want to waste all the hard work by putting the weight back on! Thanks
neverred is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
FWIW Atkins' protocol is more or less to add carbs, but primarily the low-GI ones so add more veggies and nuts/seeds, then try introducing more fruits (if that works well), and keep the grains to last and avoid sweets (that's typical advice our grandmothers would have given us, anyhow).

Seems like a sensible way to approach it IMO.
spirilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
You would probably be much better off increasing vegetable intake and maybe low sugar fruits like berries before jumping right into bread which is bad for you anyway. Even though you're not following Atkins you may want to consider starting as the "rung climbing" of the Ongoing Weight loss phase does exactly what you say you want to do. Good luck.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thankyou!

Anyone else's views would be welcome as I know everyone is different so I may have to try a few different things!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
There are so many low carb and moderate carb plans being followed here, that there can be a lot of different answers to your question. Many will advise you to avoid bread completely. :-)

If you believe you'd feel happier on a diet that includes a greater variety of foods in it than just the very low carb foods, and especially a plan that includes some room for bread, you might enjoy the South Beach diet plan, which is fairly moderate carb and allows for the variety of whole grain breads.

You might also enjoy one of the alternate day or intermittent fasting type diets. I do the JUDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day) plan myself which allows any foods you choose to make your menu from - and many do it low carb - but you eat quite low in calories on one day and then eat anything you want on the following day. So you could design your food plan to include what you termed *a more balanced diet* if you are happier with that and more inclined to actually follow it and get the weight off that is your goal.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
There are so many low carb and moderate carb plans being followed here, that there can be a lot of different answers to your question. Many will advise you to avoid bread completely. :-)

If you believe you'd feel happier on a diet that includes a greater variety of foods in it than just the very low carb foods, and especially a plan that includes some room for bread, you might enjoy the South Beach diet plan, which is fairly moderate carb and allows for the variety of whole grain breads.

You might also enjoy one of the alternate day or intermittent fasting type diets. I do the JUDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day) plan myself which allows any foods you choose to make your menu from - and many do it low carb - but you eat quite low in calories on one day and then eat anything you want on the following day. So you could design your food plan to include what you termed *a more balanced diet* if you are happier with that and more inclined to actually follow it and get the weight off that is your goal.
JUDDD sounds interesting! May I ask what your wight loss figures look like on it? I don't mean to be rude haha and as a newbie to the site I don't know if this is good etiquette! lol

All this information is making me feel even more positive about the next steps in weight loss!

Anyone else care to weigh in with some juicy info?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #7

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverred View Post
JUDDD sounds interesting! May I ask what your wight loss figures look like on it? I don't mean to be rude haha and as a newbie to the site I don't know if this is good etiquette! lol

All this information is making me feel even more positive about the next steps in weight loss!

Anyone else care to weigh in with some juicy info?
I'm an elder woman with hypothyroid and fibromyalgia, hence somebody who would be expected to lose weight quite slowly. I've been maintaining my weight for quite awhile now and only about a month ago decided I wanted to lose another 10 pounds or so and then see what I thought. (When you're this old you have to weigh the pros and cons of more wrinkles or less weight. LOL)

I've just today completed four weeks at my weight loss level on JUDDD and lost an even eight pounds.. so an average of 2 pounds per week. That is unheard of for me, so I'm quite thrilled.

As with any weight loss plan, everyone's results can vary widely. If you think you might be interested in JUDDD, you can find two threads about it under the *Weight Loss Plans* forums, and JUDDD is one of those listed separately in the *Other Plans* section.

After you read there a bit, you may have a better idea of whether this plan would jive with how you would like to structure your menus and meals, etc. It is a plan that is very able to adjust to you rather than requiring you to adjust to it, which many of us find an added bonus. We can continue to lose weight while allowing ourselves to participate in social occasions at full tilt!

No matter how you proceed, just remember that no matter what the plan, it usually will work for you if you work it correctly, follow the rules of its design, and actually stay on track with your plan. If you want to be slim and trim and of a correct weight, all you have to do is... just do it.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
pretty much, if you start eating enough carbs to refill the glycogen stores in your liver and tissues, you will regain your "Atkins loan, " the water weight you lost originally. doesn't really matter if you introduce the carbs gradually or not, though obviously you won't notice it in the same way if it happens while you are continuing to lose... it will just seem you are losing slower.

you will probably gain 10 of that 20 back, but that depends on you and how many carbs you can eat a day without that happening. only way to tell is trying raising the level you are eating.

but looking at it that way, if you have only "really" lost 10 lb because you don't intend to stick to low carb, you might not be ready to change your woe so soon.

up to you, of course. good luck.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
I second SoHappy's recommendation of taking a look at plans that allow a little more carb freedom if that is what you are after. I also do forms of Intermittent Fasting. Depending on how your body tolerates carbs, carb/calorie cycling may also be an option. Really, the important thing is to find a way of eating that you can stick with for the long haul. No sense in devising an eating plan that allows weightless just to revert back to old ways of eating that got you where you were. I am not saying to avoid all carbs or even bread if your body is able to tolerate it ( although healthier choices are of course beneficial for anyone!). Some people have sensitivities or pre-existing medical conditions which makes certain foods off limits. I for one am not, and therefore want to avoid completely labeling anything "off limits" in the future as I move towards a more naturally intuitive eating style (for me this would remain healthy whole foods and lower carb as primary food sources)! Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck and congrats on your losses thus far

Last edited by ddailey320; 02-02-2011 at 08:40 PM..
ddailey320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doggz109
Stats: 382/Under 300/180
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: Dec 2010
Just follow the carb ladder that Atkins gives you. That is the appropriate way to find out what amount of carbs you can have and still lose weight. It's spelled out in the book....read it.

Add more veggies first, then lower carb fruits, nuts, seeds etc.......grains are much much much later. If you don't want to do it correctly...then why even bother doing low carb in the first place?

This may be blunt...but I guarantee if you start eating bread and things like that....you WILL gain all the weight back.

What is so wrong with staying on a ketogenic diet? It's very healthy.

Last edited by doggz109; 02-02-2011 at 08:42 PM..
doggz109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
You might try the plan in "Life Without Bread". It allows 72 carbs per day. That's a little high for me, but it might work for you.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 AM   #12

Gallery: flatferenghi
THE ATKINS DIET automatically segues one...

GRADUALLY from ketogenic to non-ketogenic. If u follow his guidelines, u should do fine. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote