Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Is stevia considered an artifical sweetner?

I was just wondering..
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurLuvsFromAbove View Post
I was just wondering..
Hi It is from above…
When it's processed and mixed with Erythritol (Truvia) it is...

I don't like the flavor/taste/after taste of it. But I do believe in powder and liquid form it's considered a non-sugar all natural product.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Stevia is an all natural product. Some get used to the flavor. Many don't like it. My sister swears by it.

If it is used as an ingredient in some other 'manufactured' sweetening product, blended with other chemicals, then it is no longer just natural, of course. Some people avoid these chemical sweeteners. Some taste funky. Others are really nice.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
im trying to cut my artifical sweetners I buy bags of Stevia extract in the raw. the ingredients are maltodextrin and stevia extract.

if its no better then as, then i'll just get splenda with fiber again.. its cheaper!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #5

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
My BF considers anything that has sweet without the sweet calories to be artificial sweetener since the default is sweet=calories.

Stevie is naturally sweet without calories so it is not technically artificial as in "it is created by man to be sweet without calories."

Xylitol for example is created in plants but not in isolation, so it has to be extracted and refined whereas you can go pick a leaf of stevia from the garden and crush it and get the sweetness.

So I'd say No, it is not a manmade or man-extracted artificial sweetener, on it's own, in leaf, or powdered form

Extracts and blends of stevia, however, beg the question.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 01-30-2011 at 08:21 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Stevia is natural in that you could grow it, harvest it and create the sweetener with a simple mortar and pestle. The plants are even sold at WalMart.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
To me it is a sweetening alternative to sugar.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
My BF considers anything that has sweet without the sweet calories to be artificial sweetener since the default is sweet=calories.

Stevie is naturally sweet without calories so it is not technically artificial as in "it is created by man to be sweet without calories."

Xylitol for example is created in plants but not in isolation, so it has to be extracted and refined whereas you can go pick a leaf of stevia from the garden and crush it and get the sweetness.

So I'd say No, it is not a manmade or man-extracted artificial sweetener, on it's own, in leaf, or powdered form

Extracts and blends of stevia, however, beg the question.
Hi Met! Glad to see you around.
Anyway, your comment about Xylitol made me think of cane or beat sugar. It also comes from a plant, but must be extracted and refined. And let's not even get started with what has to be done to get HFCS.
I think the processing and therefore "artificiality" of HFCS rivals stevia, erythritol and xylitol!

But to address the original question, I don't consider natural, or mostly natural, sweeteners (or any other thing for that matter) to be "artificial". It goes to show there is a big fuzziness to defining this.

Last edited by Speck333; 01-30-2011 at 10:00 AM..
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I believe when people use the term "artificial sweetener" the main emphasis is "a sweetener substitute for sugar, usually presumed to be without carbs or calories" rather than a comment on the source of the molecules in the package.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Cane sugar, as well as maple sugar, can be "processed" merely by boiling the water out of the sap of the respective sources. This does not, however, yield the pristine white sugar commonly sold at the supermarket, for that further processing is required. I am not sure what is involved in beet sugar manufacture.

Stevia can be used in leaf form as a sweetener, but again is not the pure white usually thought of as 'sugar'. "All natural" and "from a leaf green and bright" is NOT an accurate description of Truvia (as per the current advertising). That leaf is far in the distant past by the time you have Truvia in front of you, and the stevia *isn't* the primary component.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I don't consider it truly natural (unless you grow the plant and use the leaves.. I used to last Summer and add them to tea) but I DO consider it much healthier than other processed sweeteners.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Hi Met! Glad to see you around.
Hi Speck! How's your snail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I believe when people use the term "artificial sweetener" the main emphasis is "a sweetener substitute for sugar, usually presumed to be without carbs or calories" rather than a comment on the source of the molecules in the package.
Exactly my BF's point. He doesnt' care how sweet it tastes. he wants to know if it has the real sugar with the real calories. For him, he eats sweet things cause he wants the sweetness AND the calories. he wants the full effect of the pleasure centers of the brain as it processes the sugar. If it is sweet without the sugar calories, he feel he's been cheated.

Case in point, I remade a dish that he's been eating for year so I could have a dessert at a party even, and brought the original dish and the sugar free dish. His guests liked the Sugar Free one Just fine and I told them it was Diet, but BF accidently pulled a SF slice ( cause they looked exactly the same and he thought they were both sugared and later I found out he wanted to keep the second pie hidden so he could have the whole thing later, greedy imp that he is ) He could tell immediately that it was not sugared. He said What's the point without the sugar! I want the taste and the sugar high!

Anyway that was slightly off topic, but BF would consider Stevia to be an Artificial sweetener based on the fact that the body associates sweet with carbs and when it tastes sweet, it starts processes to digest and process sugar. But there are no calories to process

And the mystery to AS is that while the tongue can taste them, the brain does not recognize them and does not signal the pleasure centers like it does when real sugar is tasted on the tongue. Hence his comment on What's the point if my brain isn't happy with it.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Hi Speck! How's your snail?

Exactly my BF's point. He doesnt' care how sweet it tastes. he wants to know if it has the real sugar with the real calories. For him, he eats sweet things cause he wants the sweetness AND the calories. he wants the full effect of the pleasure centers of the brain as it processes the sugar. If it is sweet without the sugar calories, he feel he's been cheated.

Case in point, I remade a dish that he's been eating for year so I could have a dessert at a party even, and brought the original dish and the sugar free dish. His guests liked the Sugar Free one Just fine and I told them it was Diet, but BF accidently pulled a SF slice ( cause they looked exactly the same and he thought they were both sugared and later I found out he wanted to keep the second pie hidden so he could have the whole thing later, greedy imp that he is ) He could tell immediately that it was not sugared. He said What's the point without the sugar! I want the taste and the sugar high!

Anyway that was slightly off topic, but BF would consider Stevia to be an Artificial sweetener based on the fact that the body associates sweet with carbs and when it tastes sweet, it starts processes to digest and process sugar. But there are no calories to process

And the mystery to AS is that while the tongue can taste them, the brain does not recognize them and does not signal the pleasure centers like it does when real sugar is tasted on the tongue. Hence his comment on What's the point if my brain isn't happy with it.

When I first started eating LC I 'missed' the sugar high too.
I felt like sugar free sweet things were unsatisfying, probably because I was so used to the 'high', the rush of serotonin and other neurotransmitters on the brain caused by carb intake.

I remember eating things with sweetener, thinking that the taste was fine, but the feeling was not the same.

I don't miss it at all now. I think it took a few weeks to get over 'missing' that sensation.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I think of it as, "Is this a chemical based in a lab or could you, as a consumer, grow and harvest and use the sweetener in your yard?"

To me, stevia is the only low carb sweetening herb available that I know of that someone can grow, harvest and consume pretty much as is. I even throw the fresh stevia leaves in my iced tea and it sweetens things right up. It's basically like having basil or dill in your garden, only this stuff sweetens.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
The leaf isn't, but the powder and liquid are extracted chemically.
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #16

I really enjoyed chewing on sugar cane when I found it at the farmers market. My jaws were terribly sore by the days end. Now THAT'S extraction!!!