Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2003, 08:54 AM   #1
aliceS

Gallery: aliceS
those atkins bars

just had one of those atkins bars as a snack... is this ok on induction? i already had breakfast too and am now wondering about lunch...

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kittycat5
HI Alice,

The Atkins bars can be quite yummy that's for sure! I'm also on induction and losing weight very slowly. I found out I do better if I cut out or really limit the Atkins bars. They have somewhere around 21-23 grams of carbs per bar and on induction we're only allowed 20 grams of carbs/day. Sometimes for a treat I'll cut an Atkins bar in 1/2 and eat only 1/2 of one (hard to do but that way it doesn't put me over my daily carb limit.
If you're busy and don't have time to make a meal try an Atkins Shake. The powered vanilla mix is only 1 gram of carbs per serving and the chocolate is only 3 grams. They help fill the gap.
Good luck!
kittycat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:06 PM   #3

Gallery: Coopergrrl
Hi Alice! I am just entering my third week of induction and I know where you are coming from with those bars.
I was advised by some of the other members here to stay off the bars for the first few weeks. The reason is that they cause people to stall sometimes. I can't remember the exact reason but if you go to the main lo-carb lobby you will surely find a post about it somewhere!
The carb-counts on the bars that we have to worry about are the net carbs. Each Atkins bar is labeled for net carbs, most seem to be about 2 or 3 net carbs. I THINK the way you figure it out is to subtract the fiber and the sugar alcohols from the total carb count. Either way, it's listed on the bar as "net carbs". (there is a post in the main lobby about that too somewhere. I am still learning my way around here!)
For now I have put my bars way in the back of my freezer, and after I get rid of the first ten pounds I will maybe treat myself to one.
Someone did tell me that an occasional shake is okay. I tried the powdered vanilla and I thought it was yuckky LOL I use it for coffee creamer once in a while. I have some of the pre-mixed chocolate shakes but I am only going to indulge once in a while. Good luck!
Coopergrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:06 PM   #4

Hi Alice! I am just entering my third week of induction and I know where you are coming from with those bars.
I was advised by some of the other members here to stay off the bars for the first few weeks. The reason is that they cause people to stall sometimes. I can't remember the exact reason but if you go to the main lo-carb lobby you will surely find a post about it somewhere!
The carb-counts on the bars that we have to worry about are the net carbs. Each Atkins bar is labeled for net carbs, most seem to be about 2 or 3 net carbs. I THINK the way you figure it out is to subtract the fiber and the sugar alcohols from the total carb count. Either way, it's listed on the bar as "net carbs". (there is a post in the main lobby about that too somewhere. I am still learning my way around here!)
For now I have put my bars way in the back of my freezer, and after I get rid of the first ten pounds I will maybe treat myself to one.
Someone did tell me that an occasional shake is okay. I tried the powdered vanilla and I thought it was yuckky LOL I use it for coffee creamer once in a while. I have some of the pre-mixed chocolate shakes but I am only going to indulge once in a while. Good luck!
Old 03-29-2003, 11:32 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippychick
Stats: 180 llbs
WOE: atkins
Start Date: march 6th 2nd time round lost 4 stone first time
so the bars dont have 23 carbs in just 2 is that right as ive been eating them as well and in on induction
hippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #6

The Atkins bars are labeled on the Atkins website as ok for induction but lots of people here have said that they can really stall you. I have a very , very occasional one but I am also not still in the first two weeks.
In theory you can subtract the sugar alcohols, but everyone is different and for some people, the sugar alcohols need to be counted in the carb count. They are labeled as 2 or 3 net carbs, which is the carbs minus the fiber and the sugar alcohols.
I would be careful using them on induction. A big part of induction is breaking away from the habit/addiction to sweets, so if you are using the bars to help with sweet/chocolate cravings then you might have a hard time getting away from those cravings.
You are the only one who can decide what is right for you, some people have no trouble with them, others do.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:00 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ana K.S.
Stats: GOAL REACHED 7/28/10 Size 8 Jeans!!!!
WOE: Low Cal/Gym 5x a week/Yoga 2x a week
I did better during induction without the bars. If you are hungry grab some string cheese or sugar free jello. There are tons of snack options out there.
Ana K.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:41 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rosetta
Stats: 198/149/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July, 2002
I used them as a kind of crutch during my 2nd & 3rd weeks of induction, and still lost weight. Now, I only use them to ward off those WILD cravings that just won't go away, the ones that could lead me to breaking Atkins. Better an Atkins bar than a cheat, since they're "legal" and very yummy & satisfying.

I think the urge to indulge peaks after a few weeks of induction. At least, it did for me. I try to turn to veggies now that my appetite has decreased and I'm excited about the weight loss. It's an old habit to turn to sweets like chocolate. I think it's best to break it, and celery works for me as a snack most of the time because it's so crunchy. Sugar free Jell-o is wonderful.

When nothing else will do, it's not the end of the world. It's good to remember that it can stall you, although I never completely stalled. I did slow down, though. Keep an eye on it and don't get in the habit of leaning on them.

Reached Goal 135 lbs. (11-14-2003)

*Successfully maintained at or under my 135 goal from 2003 until 2008! After that, up & down.
Rosetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
Ayeshashutu

Gallery: Ayeshashutu
Where did you ladies read that they have that many carbs? Are ya'll crazy? Read the net carbs - because that is all that counts...

*Some* of the bars have maltitol (sugar alcohols) that *can*
stall you or throw you out of ketosis.. The ones without maltitol generally have maltodextrin which can stall you - *if* you ingest too much..

I eat the pralines and cream, cookies and cream, and peanut butter crunch Atkins bars - but only one a day and with success. Yes, they ARE safe for induction - but only the non-maltitol ones and only one a day..

I studied this diet for a total of three years now and am on it for the seond time (the first time I got pregnant, had the baby and nursed ten months) and now have been on since January 28th...
I chose this diet after studying it for so long in the hopes of helping my family - every female on my mothers side - including my 12 yo DD has diabetes.. I am pre-diabetic and thank goodness the baby is safe so far..

Please feel free to pm me or email me anytime for support or information...

Last edited by Ayeshashutu; 04-24-2003 at 10:31 PM..
Old 05-14-2003, 08:35 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Donald
Sugar Free Jell-o

Rosetta
I thought Sugar free Jell-o was a No-No due to the ASPARTAME?
Donald
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:12 PM   #11
Ayeshashutu

Gallery: Ayeshashutu
Aspartame doesn't affect everyone.. So sugar free jello is ok for some, but not those that have weight stalls from aspartame...
Old 05-20-2003, 01:15 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ditchingPGweight
I'm just out of induction and 10lbs. lighter. I had a few of the bars in my first 2 weeks and did not have any problem. I think it really depends on how your system reacts to it. I do know however, that I won't be eating too many of these while on OWL. They're too d*mn expensive!!!
ditchingPGweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:13 AM   #13
pamiejet

Gallery: pamiejet
I have to eat the bars. I think it's the only way I could have done it. I just been LCing it for a month and have lost 9lbs. I have sometimes had 2 in one day. Haven't had real sugar for a long time. Mostly I eat meat and casear salad. I need to get more snackies to have at work. I guess like some of you have said, eating a Adkins bar is way better than a Snickers. Oh, by the way, everyone at my office eats like crazy and there is always food in the kitchen. These help me from cheating bad.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:06 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2ericha
Stats: 274/254/160
WOE: general low carb
Start Date: 2008
I'm no longer on induction but i still find the carbs in the bars too much for my body. I also think part of it is my brain...it sends a signal to my stomach that it wants more when I eat these things. LOL I can't just eat one! So I stay away from them.
mom2ericha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:53 PM   #15
piney

Gallery: piney
I've been on induction since 6/2/03. I have a bar every morning for breakfast. I've lost 20lbs.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:27 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: azgrandma
Stats: 200/159/140
Start Date: 05/26/03
Atkins bars

Hello,

I have been on Atkins one month tomorrow 6/26/2003.

I found the " Atkins Morning Start" (Creamy Cinnamon Bun)

I use them on mornings that I do not want eggs etc, and sometimes as a snack, a part of one helps. They are very sweet . Net 2 carbs

My stats: 200/199/140.
azgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:30 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: azgrandma
Stats: 200/159/140
Start Date: 05/26/03
correction

That should read 200/189/140
azgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: madbarbee
Stats: lost 25 pounds since 1/30 goal 20 more
WOE: Pretty much doing Adkins with my own mods
Start Date: January 30th 2009
The Adkins bars true net carb?

I love the Adkins bars. I use them as little sweet treats. I cut them up into candy bite peices and keep them in the freezer. It feels like you are cheating! I think they should not be used during intro period though. QUESTION...Even though on one particular box says "3 net carbs" the total carb on the back said "22" and dietary fiber "11", I thought the formula was subtract dietary fiber from total carb? That would equal 11 not three? I do the formual on other stuff and it works, what is with the bars?

p.s. I am new to this site. I started January 30th 2009 and I am down 25 pounds with a goal of 20 more!
madbarbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Greek Godess
WOE: Low Carbs Healthy Foods Atkins
Start Date: Feb 13, 2006
ATKINS.
It's called Atkins,,
Greek Godess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
I had some and they totally raised my blood sugar.

3 net carbs.

I don't think so.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HeartnurseVa
Stats: 217/210/145
Start Date: March 2009
Remember to subtract sugar alcohols and fiber . Thats probably how they get 3 net carbs!
HeartnurseVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartnurseVa View Post
Remember to subtract sugar alcohols and fiber . Thats probably how they get 3 net carbs!
What's the point of doing that, when you're only cheating yourself.
The bar doesn't include just 3 net carbs. If it did, my blood sugar wouldn't have shot up as if I had eaten a candy bar. The fake fillers they use DO matter. So in my eyes, it's not 3 net carbs, no matter what they list in front of the box.

I am sure that there are some out there who can eat these without problems, but I am not one of them.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
Start Date: June 2008
For those of you that are having the bars during induction, then you are not doing Atkins. Induction includes a list if foods. If it's not on that list, it's not legal. Period!
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife View Post
For those of you that are having the bars during induction, then you are not doing Atkins. Induction includes a list if foods. If it's not on that list, it's not legal. Period!
I didn't eat them during Induction - after Induction.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: redron
It sounds like I shouldn't eat them either. I ate them last week as a quick breakfast and for a snack later in the day. I didn't lose nearly what I would have liked. It was less than a pound. What a marketing tactic==what a shame. It would do better for them to tell the truth about them==so when we loose we will think of the product as a good thing.
redron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LovelyLiz27
Those Atkins Bars....

I lost 30 pounds in 4 months and ate those bars and drank the shakes nearly every day. If you are "stalling", you need to excersize. The bars are totally fine in moderation (just like everything else). It's not on that list for induction because that list was created before the bars came out. If you are looking for a quick fix, you can go by the book when it comes to Atkins rules. That ended me up in emergency malnutritioned. Honestly though, the idea is to learn how to eat for a lifetime. Be sensible, be persistant, be patient. I guarantee that you will lose weight for good if you cut out junk food, eat GOOD CARBS, and excersize. The weight will come off. No pills, no adding and subtracting, no "legal" limits. Just good, common sense. Good luck.
LovelyLiz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: susanlc
Stats: 175/164/130
Start Date: 5/23/09
Lovely Liz...your post made lots of sense to me. I have been on induction for over a week now and have lost 6.5 pounds so far and I have kept it strict. But in the past I did Atkins and lost the 30 pounds I needed to lose and I did eat the bars probably a few a week. I simply watched what I ate, watched the scale and stuck with the plan. I will eat the bars when I get off induction but my problem is...where do you guys find them, no one carries them anymore around here (Cincinnati Ohio) ????
Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChristiG
Stats: 192/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 5/27/09
I'm from Dayton Ohio and I've seen them at Walgreens and Health Foods Unlimited. I assume you guys have those too. I haven't looked at Kroger's yet, but I just got back on the low carb wagon a little over a week ago. I tried one of the Carmel Peanut ones this morning for bfast and it tasted like a payday...pretty good. Come to think of it, I saw the bars at Kmart yesterday too.
ChristiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChristiG
Stats: 192/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 5/27/09
or you could always order them on the netrition site. comparable prices.
ChristiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: susanlc
Stats: 175/164/130
Start Date: 5/23/09
Thanks..I have a walgreens and kmart right down the street...
susanlc is offline   Reply With Quote