Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
Stevia Allergy ?

I'm thinking I may be having a slight allergic reaction to Stevia.

Today, I've had more Stevia sweetener that I would normally have had on a daily basis. (I'm out of EZ-Sweetz.) Now my right eye is very puffy just under it. The other eye is a little swollen. Both eyes itch like I've been running through a hay field.

I've taken Benedryl, just in case.

Anyone else here have Stevia allergies ?
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
I have heard from others that certain brands of processed Stevia cause problems.

When I used stevia, I grew my own plants and used the fresh or dried leaves, or made a "tea" from them, and never had any troubles at all.

Perhaps there are hidden ingredients in some of the commercially prepared products, or the stevia was manufactured with chemicals that leave residues???

It's easy to grow stevia, in containers, or indoors, and is much less expensive than things in bottles and boxes.

Hope this helps a bit.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
YIKES. Feel better soon. Hope you figure out if it was the Stevia or not.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I think stevia is a cousin to ragweed. So those who have ragweed allergies may have a problem with it.

and hope you feel better soon!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks. The bags are so big under my eyes, I look like I've been crying for hours ! LOL Stevia is the only thing different that I'd had yesterday. (I hadn't had it since getting EZ-Sweetz 2 or so months ago. (I think it's been that long ago, anyway.) The brand I'd been using was PureVia (msp ?).
Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
This came from the Wellness(dotcom) website. You can google it:

Safety
Allergies
Avoid in individuals with a known allergy or hypersensitivity to stevia or the daisy family (Asteraceae/Compositae). Other members of the daisy family include ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, and many other herbs.

Side Effects and Warnings

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Stevia is not recommended in pregnant or breastfeeding women due to a lack of available scientific evidence.

Interactions

Interactions with Drugs
Stevia may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and in those taking drugs that affect blood sugar. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare provider, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

Based on clinical observations in humans, stevioside may decrease systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Caution is advised in patients taking blood pressure lowering medications.
Although not well researched, stevia may also interact with monoketocholate (a substance that may affect glucose and lipid levels), diuretics (medications that increase urine flow), or hypocalcemic agents. Caution is advised.

Steviol is a vasodilator (medication that causes the blood vessels to dilate or expand). Caution is advised when taking stevia with other vasodilators. Consult with a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, before combining therapies.

Verapamil is a calcium antagonist and may exhibit additive effects with stevioside. In an animal study, verapamil tended to increase the renal (kidney) and systemic effects of stevioside. Caution is advised.

Interactions with Herbs and Dietary Supplements
Although not well researched, stevia may also interact with monoketocholate, diuretics (herbs and supplements that increase urine flow), or hypocalcemic agents. Caution is advised.

Stevia may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised when using herbs or supplements that may also lower blood sugar. Blood glucose levels may require monitoring, and doses may need adjustment.

Stevioside may decrease systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Caution is advised in patients taking blood pressure lowering herbs and supplements.
Steviol is a vasodilator. Caution is advised when taking stevia with other herbs and supplements that are vasodilators. Consult with a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, before combining therapies.

Stevioside may lower blood glucose levels. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare provider, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

Myalgia (muscle pain), muscle weakness, dizziness, asthenia (loss of strength), nausea, and abdominal fullness have been reported after taking stevioside. These effects resolved after the first week of treatment. Stevia may also lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure in patients with high blood pressure. Use cautiously in patients with hypotension (low blood pressure) or taking hypotensive drugs since various human and animal studies have shown that stevioside may significantly decrease systolic and diastolic blood pressure.

Higher doses of stevia may affect renal activity and perfusion, sodium excretion, and urinary flow. Avoid using stevia therapeutically in patients with impaired kidney function or other kidney diseases until human safety data is available.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Delete, please. Was in response to the troll hawking their website. Thank you.

Last edited by rqw1968; 01-19-2011 at 06:08 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
I think stevia is a cousin to ragweed. So those who have ragweed allergies may have a problem with it.

and hope you feel better soon!!!
OK. This makes sense. I do have a ragweed allergy. Exactly the same symptoms too.

Last edited by rqw1968; 01-19-2011 at 06:07 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Yes, I am allergic to stevia.

I have the same symptoms... one of the things I am NOT allergic to is ragweed. LOL

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
This came from the Wellness(dotcom) website. You can google it:

Safety
Allergies
Avoid in individuals with a known allergy or hypersensitivity to stevia or the daisy family (Asteraceae/Compositae). Other members of the daisy family include ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, and many other herbs.

Side Effects and Warnings

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Stevia is not recommended in pregnant or breastfeeding women due to a lack of available scientific evidence.

Interactions

Interactions with Drugs
Stevia may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and in those taking drugs that affect blood sugar. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare provider, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

Based on clinical observations in humans, stevioside may decrease systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Caution is advised in patients taking blood pressure lowering medications.
Although not well researched, stevia may also interact with monoketocholate (a substance that may affect glucose and lipid levels), diuretics (medications that increase urine flow), or hypocalcemic agents. Caution is advised.

Steviol is a vasodilator (medication that causes the blood vessels to dilate or expand). Caution is advised when taking stevia with other vasodilators. Consult with a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, before combining therapies.

Verapamil is a calcium antagonist and may exhibit additive effects with stevioside. In an animal study, verapamil tended to increase the renal (kidney) and systemic effects of stevioside. Caution is advised.

Interactions with Herbs and Dietary Supplements
Although not well researched, stevia may also interact with monoketocholate, diuretics (herbs and supplements that increase urine flow), or hypocalcemic agents. Caution is advised.

Stevia may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised when using herbs or supplements that may also lower blood sugar. Blood glucose levels may require monitoring, and doses may need adjustment.

Stevioside may decrease systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Caution is advised in patients taking blood pressure lowering herbs and supplements.
Steviol is a vasodilator. Caution is advised when taking stevia with other herbs and supplements that are vasodilators. Consult with a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, before combining therapies.

Stevioside may lower blood glucose levels. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare provider, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

Myalgia (muscle pain), muscle weakness, dizziness, asthenia (loss of strength), nausea, and abdominal fullness have been reported after taking stevioside. These effects resolved after the first week of treatment. Stevia may also lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure in patients with high blood pressure. Use cautiously in patients with hypotension (low blood pressure) or taking hypotensive drugs since various human and animal studies have shown that stevioside may significantly decrease systolic and diastolic blood pressure.

Higher doses of stevia may affect renal activity and perfusion, sodium excretion, and urinary flow. Avoid using stevia therapeutically in patients with impaired kidney function or other kidney diseases until human safety data is available.
WOW !!! THANKS FOR POSTING THIS !!!

I did a web search and completely missed this article. Hmmmm...

Marigolds. Yep. VERY allergic. Thanks to the folks who suggested I grow my own stevia plants. I've have done myself a mischief by doing so. Just by getting the plant juice on my hands, I'd have probably ended up in the ER.

:smh:

All this time (before the EZ-Sweetz), I thought I'd been having seasonal allergies. I didn't realize THEY'D LESSENED GREATLY after changing sweeteners. I just thought it was because we were finally well past the fall season. BUT, if there's any good to come of this, it's that I'm careful to introduce only one different thing in my diet at a time. Easy to figure what the culprit is when there are adverse reactions, no matter HOW slight. That in and of itself is pretty cool.

I'm not much on journaling (ADD. It's a lovely thing to have, huh ?! ), but this is a very good reason for me to start.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
Vanity Goal: 128 lbs and Ready for Bikini Weather next summer
Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Yes, I am allergic to stevia.

I have the same symptoms... one of the things I am NOT allergic to is ragweed. LOL

Pam
@ NOT being allergic to ragweed. Well, there's that. Yay !!! I have plenty of ragweed allergy for both of us.

Last edited by rqw1968; 01-19-2011 at 06:21 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Still pretty puffy around my eyes. I've given away most of the Stevia in the apartment (kept a little, in case a guest uses). Still itchy as well (though not as bad as last night). Taking a Benadryl tonight before I go to bed.

Here's a fine how-do-you-do: Yesterday when I weighed, I was still showing as maintaining the same weight, numbers-wise. I hopped on the scales at my usual time today. Guess what... ALMOST 6 lbs INCREASE !!! I know this is my immune system kicked into high gear in order to dilute what it sees as a toxin. This also explains the HUGE loss after switching from the Stevia/Splenda concoction to EZ-Sweetz. Drinking water with ACV and hoping for the best on Friday. My right eye is so swollen, it now looks like it'd been punched.

Now, I'm wondering what OTHER food allergies I may have. I wish it weren't such a trial-and-error thing. But, with watching everything so closely as it is, it should be a lot easier to figure out than when my diet was more varied.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
I'm allergic, also.
I can have a LITTLE stevia once in a while. But too much causes hayfever symptoms.
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fabgal24
I have allergic reactions from Pure Via Stevia..

After having three cups of coffee with only stevia my lips got swollen, all red and increased in size around my mouth..
fabgal24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
WOW! I never knew this was possible. I use stevia without issues, but I am glad to know this for other family members who are allergic to ragweed!
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
I don't have an allergy to stevia, but my wife does. She gets migraines, dizzyness, and in general dosn't feel well. We are trying monk fruit extract now instead which also goes by lokanto or lo guan ho or something.

Interestignly "lettuce" is in the same family as ragweed.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote