Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I can only weigh myself like one week a month. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/706443-i-can-only-weigh-myself-like-one-week-month.html)

Musa 01-18-2011 07:16 AM

I can only weigh myself like one week a month.

Right after I ovulate the water weight seems to start piling up. And right before tom, I gain atleast 2 more pounds. So I can only weight right after TOM, I guess that is my actual weight. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

BWYA 01-18-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musa (Post 14285187)
Right after I ovulate the water weight seems to start piling up. And right before tom, I gain atleast 2 more pounds. So I can only weight right after TOM, I guess that is my actual weight. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I suspect (even hope!) that I am experiencing the same thing. Right around ovulation I stopped seeing the scale in its downward trend (yes, yes, I know, not a stall). AF just started, so I plan to weigh after it's done to see if that has anything to do with it (for a few days, maybe, to see when all the bloat takes a hike.)

I'm on plan, no grains, no cheats, so I'm really wondering if this is me.

Musa 01-18-2011 07:53 AM

well in my case my lowest weight is after TOM is gone, but I know now I ovulated or something because my left breast hurts, so I know is my hormons.. I will stiop weighting myself until after tom...

paulabob 01-18-2011 07:58 AM

That's how I always used to be...first or second day of TOM a huge whoosh, and gains at ovulation and pre-tom. With a 25 day cycle, there's only about 7-10 'good' days.

However now that I've dropped so much weight, my pattern seems to be changing, and I'm now gaining during TOM, and losing after. My ovulation pains are less frequent too.

JustCallMeAmy 01-18-2011 08:03 AM

when not on bcp, i ALWAYS experienced this! same thing as you ladies are saying, right from ovulation onto TOM, then a few days into TOM i'd quickly lose a few pounds and the trend would continue and i would lose ALL my weight for the month in a 10-14 day-ish span. how aggrivating!

BWYA 01-18-2011 08:07 AM

Good to know others are seeing this, too (not that I wish frustration on anyone! It's good to see it is normal for some and therefore may be normal for me, too.)

My aggravation is the not knowing. If I figure out this is part of it, it won't bother me and might even be good for me as it might keep me from scale obsessing. For now it's just a big stinking question mark!

jskn 01-18-2011 08:43 AM

yes- this is totally me and I hate it. I start to retain and bloat 10-12 days b4 TOM. It sucks! I gain btwn 5-8lbs every month and I am a small person!

Musa 01-18-2011 08:46 AM

good!!! I am not the only one, because I thought I was doing something wrong and it is thanks to our wonderful female hormons, gotta love them

farmgirl 01-18-2011 08:59 AM

This is me as well. It stinks.

kat819 01-18-2011 09:02 AM

Yep. I only weigh myself on about Day 2 of my cycle. Otherwise, I'm chasing water weight around.

krow134 01-18-2011 09:19 AM

I am the same way! Started my gain this week and TOM will be here by the weekend....yeah!! NOT!!! Usually 2-3 days after TOM I will get the best results weight wise. Only because I limit my water during it also. For me it seems if my belly is full of water the cramps are worse.....so I start drinking my water again just as its ending.

BWYA 01-18-2011 09:23 AM

hmmmm. i missed day 2 (that's today). Maybe I should try weighing in tomorrow to see if there is anything to this for me... grrrrr.

jHowla!!! 03-20-2011 04:41 AM

Ok, I was going to spend the whole day moping about, but after reading the thread, I'll just plow through the next few days and hope that my two pound gain today was because I'm expecting my cycle to start early this week. Slow, I can handle, gain-- a little harder :(

Lisa Marie 03-20-2011 06:15 AM

This is completely normal for me as well. I stop losing several days before TOM, then lose like crazy a few days after. Last week I lost 1 pound (pre/during TOM) and this week I've lost 5!

JustCallMeAmy 03-20-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Marie (Post 14487604)
This is completely normal for me as well. I stop losing several days before TOM, then lose like crazy a few days after. Last week I lost 1 pound (pre/during TOM) and this week I've lost 5!

this is 100% me! last week was TOM and i lost a little, but mainly bounced :annoyed: this week, i've lost 2lbs!! that is HUGE for me considering how close to goal i am!! super happy about it but i also know i most likely won't lose much more than this for the month before it all pretty much comes to a halt!

TaDa! 03-20-2011 08:20 AM

me too!!! good job figuring it out so you don't go nuts! I chart my weight which was especially helpful during weightloss. Now during maintenance, I do the 5 pound range thing, and can just expect to be up 2 pounds much of the month, lol!!!

I know, it still is kind of sucky and a bummer when the 2 pounds of water comes on .. i totally fall into that way of thinking at times .. human nature, I think!!!

big big :hugs:

Pauline

tulipsandroses 03-20-2011 08:38 AM

I get about 2 weeks of "normal" weight. The week before it starts, I start to retain and it stays that way for about 10-14 days. It varies though, some months are better than others.

karenann33 03-20-2011 08:43 AM

Yep me too. I'm so bloated I look and feel like I'm pregnant. It's awful!

Lucky4 03-20-2011 08:56 AM

I only have the time right after TOM until about 10 ten days before the next one. It's horrible--but I'm learning to live with it. Unfortunately, this time around, TOM is late and my appetite is killing me--I'm just hoping for a maintaining weight and not a gain. :(

Jennyl 03-20-2011 08:57 AM

I am exactly the same way.

Off My Duff 03-20-2011 06:47 PM

I used to be that way too, and what's even worse is that the pattern has continued even now that I'm post-menopause.

How that can be, I don't know, but it's the same thing every month: able to lose weight only one week during the month, then either stay the same or gain the rest of the month.

It's very frustrating and discouraging. It seems like I never make any progress. I'm always fighting the same four or five pounds. :mad:

Britt1975 03-20-2011 08:41 PM

I lose right up until the day or so before AF starts, then I gain or bounce for the next two weeks. I don't get get a woosh when AF is over... even though the swelling in my hands and ankles goes away. Then five or so days after AF ends, I start losing again. I lose for about two weeks, then it all starts up again. :annoyed: Right now, I'm 3 days post AF... haven't lost an ounce since 3/14.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 03-21-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musa (Post 14285187)

I experience a very similar situation, all TOM and hormone related. I have about one GOOD week out of the month that I can show progress on the SCALE.

I often weigh once a week so that it doesn't get to me, mess with my mind, etc., but I am afraid to wait a whole month and not weigh.

I've learned to embrace the meaningless fluctuations for what they are -- FLUCTUATIONS, not reliable, prove nothing -- and stay the course, measure my progress through the mirror, clothes, how I feel, body circumference measurements.

IT STINKS, I KNOW.

Being a woman is not easy. :down:

Jooser 03-21-2011 02:50 AM

I'm the same way, the week after TOM is when I lose my weight. I may lose a little the next week and then I maintain the week that I ovulate and start. At least I'm not gaining during TOM, I use to though.

MagieDen 03-21-2011 04:59 AM

I feel everyone's pain, I am in the loop!:stars:

brr9270 03-21-2011 06:05 AM

This sounds just like me too!

CARLINI 03-21-2011 09:20 AM

My weight stays the same 3 weeks out of the month. The week of TOM I drop weight, usually 6-8 pounds. I only weigh once a month now after TOM.

Claire430 03-21-2011 11:25 AM

I have very similar issues. My cycle is so short sometimes (22-26 days) that it seems I am always dealing with PMS. I also notice changes in water weight around ovulation for me as well. I guess I only have a very short window to get an accurate weight. I have also noticed that I am at my heaviest about 3-6 days before TOM arrives and then once it is here the water weight is gone. I can even weigh during TOM and be down a few lbs.