LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rochester
Stats: 373/339/199.9
WOE: low budget low carb - smarter, cleaner
Start Date: Back on the saddle January 15th, 2013
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

OK folks. Time for this dude to quit cruizin' and start loosin'!!

I have been at 268 since December 2nd. I am very happy that the number has not gone up - but I REALLY need it to start moving back down.

I'm out of ketosis b/c I've upped my carbs by binging on 2 things: SF pumpkin pie and PEANUTS (in-shell and via peanut butter. I bought some different in-shell peanuts on Saturday, and they were INFINITELY better than the 5 lb. bag we got over the holidays. But they are all gone now).

So - I'm thinking I need to do some induction - and get cracking!

My big question is about Broccoli. For the last couple of months lunches, I've been bringing maybe a cup and a half to two cups of broccoli (my amazing wife just verified that she cuts up one stalk each day). I'm starting to think that it may be taking my carbs way too high. Is there another vegetable with the same nutrients, and anti-oxidents but with lower carbs that I should substitute?

Should I cut out Broccoli as I go back in through induction? How about on-going? Inquiring minds really want to know!

I really don't eat much by way of vegetables the rest of the day - maybe some green beans for dinner - or the very occasional small salad.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-10-2011 at 08:12 AM..
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just to clarify - I am the 'queen of stalls' at the moment (102 days and counting) so what do I know? But I think getting rid of things like peanuts and sugar free pumpkin pie is all you should do right now. Broccoli is very low in carbs (3.5 net per 1 cup). Not really a big 'offender' in my mind. Give it a couple of weeks and then reassess.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hitsalot
Start Date: July 2010
This might be just in my case, but PEANUTS are my main offender in stalls and small gains. I've been doing this WOE for 6 months now, and the only 3 weeks i had gains were the one week i ate peanuts and the 2 weeks i ate natural Peanut Butter. I dont know if i have a small allergy to them (I have deadly allergies to others...walnuts/pecans) or if they're just too easy to overeat....but i overeat plenty of other things i think, but still dont gain.

Sorry to ramble...but i agree with above....try cutting out the peanuts....switch to almonds or something.

-jeff
hitsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rochester
Stats: 373/339/199.9
WOE: low budget low carb - smarter, cleaner
Start Date: Back on the saddle January 15th, 2013
Imma gonna cut out the pumpkin pie and the nuts and see if we don't start to see some movement on the scale.

Do I really need to go through induction again if I keep my carbs under 20?
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
I am guilty of over doing it on peanuts and peanut butter too. It always stalls or slows me down. As soon as I cut them back my weight starts to move down again. They are just about the only things that I eat too much of.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
Imma gonna cut out the pumpkin pie and the nuts and see if we don't start to see some movement on the scale.

IMO just going to 20-30 carbs a day and you will prob. get into ketosis.

As far as doing Induction by the book that's a personal thing. I just did Induction level carbs (under 20) but had a few not induction things.. like nuts, wine and too much cheese on a day or two (not all at the same time!).. I was in to Ketosis right away and lost 7# over the last two weeks.

I don't think the broccoli will be a problem especially since you mentioned not eating lots of veggies the rest of the day.

I am starting week three and have upped my carbs to 25/day for a while.

Get back to it, ha!
Great luck to you.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tidalwaves
WOE: Low Carb
I've ate peanut butter every day this week and I've gained one pound even though my calories are still in check. Nice one, right. Peanut butter is not on my clean eating list anymore. Stick with a clean meat and veggie and cheese diet. That keeps it real for me. Too many extras and apparently my body recognizes it as an indulgence. I'd rather gain one pound from eating candy bar pancakes but that's not got healthy fats, nor does it coat my stomache as long. And peanutbutter is soooo easy to over eat. But it definitely helps after a work out.
Tidalwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post

First .. I agree with Clackley .. restricting broccoli when you have been overeating peanuts and sf pumpkin pie is really gonna be unecessary!! Do exactly what you plan to do in cutting those out .. you will have movement on the scale unless you start eating a lot of something else to make up the difference ..

I never went back to induction after the first time .. absolutely getting your carbs lowered again .. to 20-30 and you will do fine .. The only reason really to go back to a clean induction would be if you found you could not control your hunger or cravings for the pie and peanuts .. If it is just a matter of not having them around and eating pretty well, you shouldn't have to go back to induction in my opinion ...

All that said, Congrats on maintaining! I would totally have gained weight, lol!!!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
If you have to "go nuts," go with pecans or macadamias. DW and I are taking a 1 week vacation from all nuts to see what will happen.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Keep the broccoli Rochester! It's good for you and will put hair on your chest!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote