Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: geekstuffff
sugar free candies...Low Carb??

I have been looking for something I can have that can help me while at my computer desk. I have seen for quite a while the sugar free candies made by Lifesavers and when I read the back there are carbs listed for example 15 grams per 5 candies. It is listed as 14 grams of sugar alcohol. My question is, are these carbs "countable" under most low carb diets or is your body affected by them and sugar alcohol. I know while label reading you can discount carbs from fiber. Your body doesn't digest the fiber so it doesn't affect your blood sugar and Insulin and there for doesn't get counted. Hope this came out in English. Are these just too good to be true or do they need to be counted for. Is there any other type of carb. that shows on nutritional labels that can be removed before calculating dailing carb intake.
Thank you!!
geekstuffff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekstuffff View Post
I have been looking for something I can have that can help me while at my computer desk. I have seen for quite a while the sugar free candies made by Lifesavers and when I read the back there are carbs listed for example 15 grams per 5 candies. It is listed as 14 grams of sugar alcohol. My question is, are these carbs "countable" under most low carb diets or is your body affected by them and sugar alcohol. I know while label reading you can discount carbs from fiber. Your body doesn't digest the fiber so it doesn't affect your blood sugar and Insulin and there for doesn't get counted. Hope this came out in English. Are these just too good to be true or do they need to be counted for. Is there any other type of carb. that shows on nutritional labels that can be removed before calculating dailing carb intake.
Thank you!!
This is one of those things where it will effect everyone differently. I have no problem with the SF hard candies and I do subtract the SA from the carbs, but that is how I do it and not what I'm suggesting you do.

I do know if I eat more than 2 it starts me having cravings similar to sugar so I have learned my limit to be able to enjoy these candies everyday.

How you do it will be something you need to figure out for yourself I would think.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
Yep definitely affects everyone different lol for me it keeps me in the bathroom with horrible upset stomach :blush: so I would be cautious and try one or two and see how you do with them
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
If you are following the Atkins diet, they say that sugar alcohols are to be deducted from the carb count and should have no (or little) effect on blood sugar. As Beeb says, your experience may be different. I have not had any issues with these type of candies, other than sometimes increasing my cravings for sweets. My suggestion is to buy a bag of the ones you are interested in and experiment.

My favorite is the Baskin Robbins sugar free hard candies. I can find them in my local drugstore as well as at netrition. They are made with Splenda as the sweetener and don't contain any Maltitol, which is the SA that many people have digestive issues with. 4 pieces are 40 calories, 15 carbs, all from the SA. Usually one piece satisfies me because they take a long time to consume and they have delicious creamy flavors! I always have them on hand at work and home for any time that I have a craving.

I have not tried the Lifesavers but I always loved the regular ones as a kid... if you do, please let us know how you like them!

Sally
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
I've had to give them up, as 1 or 2 turns into the entire container and then some quality time in the bathroom.
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thank you linda,
I have a very addictive personality but one thing I find that helps me succeed through the low carb diet is contracsting flavor tastes. I love meats and vegtables but it is hard to get a nice sour taste with something outside of vineger based dressings. So in a salad I add shaved cheddar thats is really sharp for example for a contrasting flavor. My biggest addiction was sherbert. I always liked my sherbert really tangy. I don't miss sherbert but I do miss the flavor profile. Which these candy give me. I just have concerns that when I see something that says sugar free and flip it over and there is a large carb count. I don't know what to think. Now they do have chocolate that is sugar free though there are some carbs involved in them. I just couldnt eat them because it would drive me towards craving chocolate. The candies just dont affect me similiarly.
Does anyone know if the sugar alcohol carbs should be counted against my carb count??
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

lol they do have a label warning about reacting like a laxactive. i was sharing with a coworker who was less then impressed when i found it on the label lol. i will try the Baskin Robbins as well though if they don't share simuliar affects..
thank you everyone for responding
Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Thank you!!
to LCF!!

Candies and sugar alcohols in general are one of those things that are a try it and see things. As far as carbs go, they do not count.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
sf lifesavers?! i must find these! i hope the sell them here!!!

like a couple of the ladies above, i enjoy a sf hard candy or mint. i usually have 1 or 2 per day, i find them VERY helpful to suck on while cooking/baking. it sounds strange, but even after living this wol for 2 yrs, i still have the habit of licking, tasting etc. while cooking. it's not even intentional!! i find sucking on a candy while cooking puts a stop to that.

i liked the baskin robbins candies but ohhh man!! did they ever do a number on me! i routinely have the sf werthers or sf mentos.
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Does anyone know if the sugar alcohol carbs should be counted against my carb count??
Again, this is your option whether you subtract them from the carbs or not. Some do, some don't. It depends on how and what plan you are doing, also.

I subtract, so for example your SF Lifesavers would be 1g carb for me because 15g carb minus 14g SA is 1g carb for the serving of 5.

You need to decide.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pzins
Start Date: Restart Dec 2010
Just yesterday I bought Russell Stover's sugar free peanut butter cups (on sale for a dollar at Krogers). One cup is slightly smaller than a Reeses PB cup and it is very very good! 3 net carbs.
pzins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Sugar Alcohols don't negatively affect me.

Remember they may be low carb but aren't low calorie treats so indulge moderately or less.

Bob
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I do Atkins '72 and he made no distinction between carbs you count and those you don't. His later books did. Personally, I stall if I don't count *all* carbs.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #14

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
erythritol and xylitol don't affect my blood sugar, but the others act pretty much like sugar for me

being diabetic, I can see that. if you aren't diabetic, you have to try it and see.

the diarrhea really is a downside!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8½"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
erythritol and xylitol don't affect my blood sugar, but the others act pretty much like sugar for me

being diabetic, I can see that. if you aren't diabetic, you have to try it and see.

the diarrhea really is a downside!
No kidding. I had a really bad evening last week when I ate a few too many almond butter cookies I made with xylitol. It was bad y'all. Bad.
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/139/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
I love Baskin Robbins SF too, nice to keep in my purse for when I start to get hungry, keeps me away from fast food. I get mine at Wal Mart. They also carry the SF Life Savers.
misty1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #17

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet irony View Post
No kidding. I had a really bad evening last week when I ate a few too many almond butter cookies I made with xylitol. It was bad y'all. Bad.
xylitol does that to me too, but most don't find it a problem like the more common sugar alcohols.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
I did not heed the warnings and bought a big bag of Russel Stover's assorted chocolate sf candy. I didn't stop at 2 or 3. I stopped at 8 or 9. A couple of hours later it sounded like someone let go of an untied balloon. Still didn't believe it and a couple of days later, I did the same thing. Same result. The rest of the bag now resides in a land fill.

But they are so darned tasty!!
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i actually got away from sugar free candies.

my weight loss is slow these days. i just cannot afford the cravings. it is so eady for me to lose control with them. I stick with liquids throughout the work day between meals. However, that is just me. I guess the Baskin & Robbins are the best ones, as they are sweetened with SPLENDA. I hope it works for you. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillverOrchid View Post
Yep definitely affects everyone different lol for me it keeps me in the bathroom with horrible upset stomach :blush: so I would be cautious and try one or two and see how you do with them
what she said
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote