LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TulsaBelle
Stats: 363/343/1st goal 338
WOE: No sugar, flour, starchy veggies
Start Date: 12/30/10
1500 calorie diet v. 1500 calories low carb

This is the strangest thing to me. I was using ****** and counting calories from the first week or so of December to December 30. I think I lost three pounds keeping my calories around 1500.

So since Sunday when I weighed, I've been keeping my calories to 1500-1600, a day at over 2000, and lost a little over eight pounds.

I don't think it's water, because I started eating low carb the Friday before. I'm pretty convinced that my body simply doesn't do well with grains and sugar.

Wow, I was scared to death to weigh. I've been feeling soooooooo good all week, so hopeful, excited, like my old self. I give the scale so much power over my mood and my eating. It was a relief to see a good loss and reaffirm this is the right way for me.

But aside from that YIPPEE!!!!! Because I was really convinced that I'd never lose another pound. 53 years old, chronic dieter, I've abused this poor body of mine for 45 years and still it responds to a healthy way of eating. I'm going to give it a hug

Happy.
TulsaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kateenie
Great job!
Kateenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
Good for you!!!
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #4

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
So what you're saying is you averaged about 1500 calories a day through the month of December, not on low-carb, and lost 3 pounds--then as of last week (the 30th) you switched to low-carb on roughly the same number of calories and lost 8 pounds your two low-carb weeks? I'm a little confused because of this:

Quote:
I don't think it's water, because I started eating low carb the Friday before. I'm pretty convinced that my body simply doesn't do well with grains and sugar.
So were you eating grains and sugar the week before the 30th or not? (It doesn't matter to me; I'm just wanting to clarify.)

I think that eight pounds probably indicates the typical water-weight loss we initially get when we start a strict low-carb program. I'm not saying it doesn't count or you shouldn't feel excited about it--not at all. That's one of the reasons people seem to like a low-carb plan; they get that big loss in the first two weeks and it's highly motivating. Good for you. Keep going, but please do not be disappointed if you don't continue losing 8 pounds a week, because you probably won't. Once the excess retained water is gone, the scale reflects "solid" loss from there on out.

Last edited by peanutte; 01-07-2011 at 07:28 AM..
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post

I think that eight pounds probably indicates the typical water-weight loss we initially get
when we start a strict low-carb program. I'm not saying it doesn't count or you shouldn't
feel excited about it--not at all. That's one of the reasons people seem to like a low-carb plan;
they get that big loss in the first two weeks and it's highly motivating. Good for you.
Keep going, but please do not be disappointed if you don't continue losing 8 pounds a week,
because you probably won't. Once the excess retained water is gone, the scale reflects "solid"
loss from there on out.
^ ^ ^ ... took the words right out of my mouth.
(but I probably wouldn't have worded it as well)
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I was eating lower carb ~ anywhere from 50 to 100 through the most of December. I'm sure a lot of it is water. BUT I was afraid I couldn't really lose any weight, so I'm most grateful that this works.

I appreciate your concern. I'm not setting myself up for 8 pounds a week. I'm a veteran and I know there will be weeks I lose nothing, and maybe even gain. I was just very much afraid that I had messed up my body to the point I couldn't lose anything. Just happy to see a loss, and I think lower carbs than my original lower carb plan makes a real difference for me.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #7

Another thing, TulsaBelle--and this is probably going to surprise some people who are used to my stance on calories--I think for a woman in your weight range, 1500 is pretty low. I wouldn't try to eat at 1500-1600 every day if I were you. Maybe you could try varying your range (like you've done this week) so you have some low days mixed with some of those 2000 calorie days on a regular basis, and see how your weight loss goes. There will be plenty of time to be eating 1500 later when you are smaller. I guess I feel like when people are starting out in the 300s, they don't need to eat at the same level as people in the 100s. But certainly having a few lower-cal days in the mix won't harm you, and will prepare you for the amount of food you'll be eating later.
Quote:
I'm a veteran
Oh, sorry; didn't realize that.

Last edited by peanutte; 01-07-2011 at 07:41 AM..
Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Peanutte, I know it's low. I lost 130 pounds 5 years ago eating a VLC low carb program at a local hospital. I was terrified that I was going to mess up my BMR because I've never forgotten the study I read probably 30? 40 years ago about some women in Minnesota who ate 800 calories a day in ONE meal and ended up gaining weight after a year or so.

What I did to combat that was start lifting weights. At the end of the 6-7 months it took to lose 130 pounds, my BMR was higher than when I started. I also learned in that process how important it is to change things up. I didn't change the food ~ it was fixed ~ but I did change the exercise.

Some weeks when I had almost no loss, I'd lay off exercise and have a huge loss the following week or two. The most important thing for me right now is not to feel as if I'm deprived. And I'm also a food addict. So if I had my way, I'd make low carb hot chocolate and eat that all day and probably run into 3-4000 calories. I tried that last March and it didn't work for me.

Maybe it's age, or chronic dieting, I'm not sure. This whole thing is so complex, isn't it? I just get furious every time I read an article or hear some wise talking head sagely saying "weight loss is simple, it's calories in, calories out." No it's not. My husband eats 3-4000 calories a day and still loses weight and he's thin and not a big guy. I eat far less than that and stay the same or gain.

I read through that thread on "eating to BMR"... still thinking that over. I'll see what happens, but I'm not opposed to changing things up and I'm not rigid on calories or keeping track. I just know that for me, I do better when I stay mindful of what I'm putting in my mouth.

Happy And look at you ~ you've done so well. Those little numbers there on the left are great inspiration.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

And I forgot the most important thing: 1500 calories of low-but-still-higher carbs and I was hungry a lot. 1500 calories of carbs staying under 20-25 or so and I'm not hungry AT ALL. Now that is a blessing.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #10

Tulsa, you sound like you have a good handle on things. After I posted that about your calories being low for a person your size, I thought "Oh God--what have I gotten myself into?" because I don't normally say things along those lines. But I feel like there's got to be a difference in the amount of food people in the 100s, 200s and 300s ought to be eating when they start out.

But then again, I pretty much don't believe in starvation mode; not in the sense that most people believe it, anyway. I believe in malnutrition--at any calorie level or body weight.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Tulsa-- that is so wonderful!

You know, a study showed that when two groups were pitted next to each other, the low carbers eating the same amount of calories as high carbers lost 15% more weight.

I call it "Atkins Magic" (but it's really the magic of ketosis).
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Peanutte, boy, that's the truth. "Malnutrition at any weight." I'm glad you posted your thoughts on this. I'm open to all suggestions and considering every viewpoint. It's nice to have this conversation.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bwylde
Stats: (405 highest) 385/365/200
WOE: Low Carb, TOPS
Start Date: January 2014
I had the same experience. From last Saturday to Wednesday, I lost 11 pound. A freaking miracle, IMO! I have low carbed so many times I was worried it wouldn't be the same and here I get the biggest loss ever in less than a week! I can even feel and see a difference in how I look. I was calculating everything on spark people and I was always lower than the recommended caloric intake but I was always stuffed. I wasn't even that low carb (like around 45-50 a day; the breads and sweets were killing me!).

BTW, Congrats!!

It is better to do something instead of nothing at all. Every step we make is progress!
bwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: monnafrench
OMG....last year our town held a weight loss competition. I didn't eat over 1200 for 6 weeks and gained a pound. I felt horrible. I know people thought I was lying about my food intake. After that I started LC and I have to date lost 22lbs. I feel wonderful and LOVE the way I eat now. I am 46 and think my body just can't do sugar and white junk anymore.
monnafrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by monnafrench View Post
OMG....last year our town held a weight loss competition. I didn't eat over 1200 for 6 weeks and gained a pound. I felt horrible. I know people thought I was lying about my food intake. After that I started LC and I have to date lost 22lbs. I feel wonderful and LOVE the way I eat now. I am 46 and think my body just can't do sugar and white junk anymore.
Welcome monnafrench. Gotta love low carb.

TulsaBelle, Congratulations on finding the magic!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaBelle View Post
This is the strangest thing to me. I was using ****** and counting calories from the first week or so of December to December 30. I think I lost three pounds keeping my calories around 1500.

So since Sunday when I weighed, I've been keeping my calories to 1500-1600, a day at over 2000, and lost a little over eight pounds.

Wow, I was scared to death to weigh. I've been feeling soooooooo good all week, so hopeful, excited, like my old self. I give the scale so much power over my mood and my eating. It was a relief to see a good loss and reaffirm this is the right way for me.

But aside from that YIPPEE!!!!! Because I was really convinced that I'd never lose another pound. 53 years old, chronic dieter, I've abused this poor body of mine for 45 years and still it responds to a healthy way of eating. I'm going to give it a hug

Happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Welcome monnafrench. Gotta love low carb.

TulsaBelle, Congratulations on finding the magic!
Great job both of you.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Because of ketosis, the low carber loses more weight on low carb than the high carber loses on the same caloric intake. Some added studies:

Rabast U, Vornberger KH, Ehl M, Ann Nutr Metab 1981;25(6):341-349 : The low-carbers lost 1.25 times as much real weight at the high-carbers.

Golay A, Eigenheer C, Morel Y, Kujawski P, Lehmann T, de Tonnac N. Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Geneva.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1996 Dec;20(12):1067-1072:
Comments: 68 people were split into two groups: half received a low-carb diet, the other received a high-carb diet. Notice that the low-carb diet wasn't very low, and the high-carb diet wasn't very high. So, the difference between the diets is very small. They stayed on the diet for 3 months. Both groups lost fat, the low-carbers lost 1.14 times as much.

Lean ME, Han TS, Prvan T, Richmond PR, Avenell A. University of Glasgow, Department of Human Nutrition, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, UK. Eur J Clin Nutr 1997 Apr;51(4):243-248: As it turns out, the women on low-carb lost about 1.20 times as much weight as the high-carb group

Baron JA, Schori A, Crow B, Carter R, Mann JI Am J Public Health 1986 Nov;76(11):1293-1296 : They told half to eat 1000 calories of low-carb food. They told the other half to eat 1000 calories of high-carb food. The low-carbers lost about 1.35 times as much weight as the high-carbers.

Rabast U, Kasper H, Schonborn J
Nutr Metab 1978;22(5):269-277
: The first group was given 1000 calories worth of high-carb food per day, the other group got 1000 calories worth of low-carb food per day. Both groups lost equal amounts of water weight. The low-carbers lost about 1.4 times as much real weight.

Golay A, Allaz AF, Morel Y, de Tonnac N, Tankova S, Reaven G. Department of Medicine, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland.
Am J Clin Nutr 1996 Feb;63(2):174-178 :
43 people, and split them into two groups. One group got 1000 calories of low-carb food, the other group got 1000 calories of moderate-carb food. The low-carbers lost 1.2 times as much weight.

Hope this helps!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Yup, LC works!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote