LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Gained 2 pounds overnight:(

I am really depressed. Despite being in Ketosis and having less than 20 grams carbs, I gained 2 pounds overnight. Literally overnight. It must be water.

But I am doing everything right. WHY!?
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
Probably water. Just some extra food for thought, though...Are you ovulating? Is it your TOM? Are you constipated? (sorry...You can just ask yourself that one, if you like. ) Is there any reason why there would be inflammation in your system?

I bet it ain't no thing and you get a whoosh pretty quick. Fear not.
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Heh. I was just talking to someone else on the board about that. My weight goes all over the place, even from doing something harmless like eating mashed cauliflower I made myself! Anytime I go to the salad bar (I do not touch the dressing, but who knows what chemicals are on the vegetables there) I have a big gain overnight, but it goes away in a couple of days. Green vegetables have fiber and I find it causes fluctuations on the scale when I don't eat the same ones/same amounts each day but does NOT cause fat gain and helps me with weight loss. The trend is down, that is all that matters.

Women just have water issues as well. It comes and goes.

Also, low-carbing is just plain dehydrating, even when drinking a lot of water. Just small amounts of sodium changes seem to have a big impact.

Exercise can cause water weight changes. I'm sure someone can explain that one better than I can.

There are probably more reasons.

You're doing fine!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-04-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

*sigh* you are probably right. But man, it is discouraging.
I've come so far and can't seem to come further!

I think I may have been lacking in sodium yesterday or something. I was extremely thirsty all night (was woken UP by thrist! Had to get out of bed and drink water!).

I should not be ovulating (just finsihed TOM 2 days ago!) and don't have any...bowel issues at the moment. I am betting it is just plain old water retention. I was wondering if it was due to lack of sodium because I just got back into ketosis (I can taste it too this morning!) and that can sometimes cause water retention because of sodium imbalance. I will try drinking some broth when I get home from work.

I am also wondering If I have been having too much protein and dairy. This could be. As much as I hate to say it, I may have to say goodbye to dairy for a while if I want to see movement on the scale I don't know how I will survive...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also have to add that I have a bit of a headache and very swollen fingers. Probably due to the dehydration thing.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarblesLongGone
Stats: 273/214/188 6'0"
WOE: Grain-free, sugar-free, real foods
Start Date: 2010 (I have years of weight data recorded)
I weigh daily, so that I KNOW what my flux rate is, and if I am 'stable', and bouncing up and down the same 3 pounds, I don't sweat it. If it is up one over the top of my normal 3, or down one under my current 3, then I consider it a change.
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarblesLongGone View Post
I weigh daily, so that I KNOW what my flux rate is, and if I am 'stable', and bouncing up and down the same 3 pounds, I don't sweat it. If it is up one over the top of my normal 3, or down one under my current 3, then I consider it a change.
I have never heard of a 'flux rate' before....Is there a way to figure out what that is? I usually weigh daily as well. Which is how I can know that I was up 2 pounds overnight Anyhow, do you just chart your weight every day and then figure out an average weight of fluxtuation? Very interesting.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
Stats: 325/293.8/150
WOE: low carb
How are your blood sugars? Believe it or not my BS and weight are lower in the morning if I have a protein/fat snack at bedtime, but it does sound like you are retaining water if you have swollen fingers. Drink up!
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmarie View Post
How are your blood sugars? Believe it or not my BS and weight are lower in the morning if I have a protein/fat snack at bedtime, but it does sound like you are retaining water if you have swollen fingers. Drink up!
Blood sugars are great....they haven't been anything but great since I started this WOE! Yep, I'm frequenting the water cooler at the office today
Old 01-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am sure those 2lbs. will disappear in the next day or 2 and probably take a 'freind or 2 with them'. But I do know how those bouncing 2lbs. can be frustrating!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I am sure those 2lbs. will disappear in the next day or 2 and probably take a 'freind or 2 with them'. But I do know how those bouncing 2lbs. can be frustrating!
Thanks I need to hear that some days!
They had better take friends. It is crowded in here!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Water fluctuations are controlled by the body, and it may not be anything you "did" that caused a 'gain,' but something that your body wanted to do.

I find that within one day, my weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs due to water (which is why it is foolish to obsess over a specific number as a 'goal'--I aim for a decade).

If you weigh daily, it might be a good idea to keep a record. It might help you see the patterns of your own fluctuations.

Women are especially prone to water retention due to hormonal shifts, and personally, I've found that whenver I get slightly ill--cold, virus, flu--my body retains water like crazy. I always know when I'm on the road to recovery because I lose water so fast.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Same thing happens to me! For no apparent reason, some days I'm up in weight----- usually sodium is the culprit, even if I don't think I had a lot the day before. Even something as seemingly innocent as cottage cheese can set me off! It will go away, and hopefully take a few of its friends with it.......
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #14

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
weight just fluctuates like that. you need to look at the trend line rather than the individual day's weights. put it on a little graph, it helps.

when that happens to me, it's usually constipation. I gain about a pound for every day I don't poop.

it is a mistake to try to figure out what you "did" to cause it. this is what makes people so nuts about avoiding foods beginning with "p" on tuesdays, know what I mean? unless it's a trend, it's just normal. no one loses in a straight line. no one.

it's just as true that when you see a sharply lower weight some days, that's probably not "true" either. you have to look at the trend.

if we weren't so quick to believe those quirky low numbers, we wouldn't be so unhappy when they bounce up again.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah. I just hope it does not stay! I do feel really puffy today tho, so hopefully it won't. I am going to take your advice and try not to let it ruffle me any further.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
I think if you - general you - are going to weigh everyday, you have to accept that your body's weight is going to fluctuate depending on many factors --- TOM, sodium, lack of sleep, etc. Otherwise, maybe consider scaling (heee hee) the weigh-ins back to just once or twice a week?
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley2801 View Post
I think if you - general you - are going to weigh everyday, you have to accept that your body's weight is going to fluctuate depending on many factors --- TOM, sodium, lack of sleep, etc. Otherwise, maybe consider scaling (heee hee) the weigh-ins back to just once or twice a week?
indeed. This is probably healthier. I know I get an unhealthy scale preoccupation! My worry is, for example, that I would weigh on one of those swollen days, and then think my diet isn't working when it really is (oh like what I am doing right now LOL)

I guess I just have a TON of water and weight fluctuation. I was hoping to see loss today as I was in ketosis last night.

Well, ketosis (according to the sticks) is gone (though on day 5 of 20 or less carbs/day, it should not be. Maybe I should throw OUT the sticks) and I'm puffy. *SIGH*
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
it's just as true that when you see a sharply lower weight some days, that's probably not "true" either. you have to look at the trend.

if we weren't so quick to believe those quirky low numbers, we wouldn't be so unhappy when they bounce up again.
Yep.

Don't you all know the drill around here? If the scale moves up, it's water weight; if the scale moves downward, it's a loss. Get with the program.

Relax, Star. I'm sure it's just part of your range. I have had to get used to fluctuations that vary more than I would like sometimes, too.

Last edited by peanutte; 01-05-2011 at 11:56 AM..
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
I know it can be discouraging. When I'm eating wrong, I expect to stay the same or have a gain. But when I'm doing everything right, I am really upset when I show a gain. I'm sure you'll get a whoosh soon and show a loss. Hang in there!

Having said that, I thought I'd share a nightmare I had... just because it was funny (at least once I woke up, it was!)

I dreamed I was getting weighed at the meat counter at the grocery store... you know those little scales that might weigh up to about 15 pounds or so? Well, the butcher told me I must weigh over 999 pounds, because the scales wouldn't go any higher. I protested, saying I knew I didn't weigh anymore than 845 pounds! Then I went around telling people I had gained 40 pounds in one month... which just goes to show that when I'm asleep, I have no math skills whatsoever. I was so glad to wake up and realize that I was nowhere near either of those weights!
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raini View Post
I know it can be discouraging. When I'm eating wrong, I expect to stay the same or have a gain. But when I'm doing everything right, I am really upset when I show a gain. I'm sure you'll get a whoosh soon and show a loss. Hang in there!

Having said that, I thought I'd share a nightmare I had... just because it was funny (at least once I woke up, it was!)

I dreamed I was getting weighed at the meat counter at the grocery store... you know those little scales that might weigh up to about 15 pounds or so? Well, the butcher told me I must weigh over 999 pounds, because the scales wouldn't go any higher. I protested, saying I knew I didn't weigh anymore than 845 pounds! Then I went around telling people I had gained 40 pounds in one month... which just goes to show that when I'm asleep, I have no math skills whatsoever. I was so glad to wake up and realize that I was nowhere near either of those weights!
Oh no, what a nightmare!! Thankfully you got to wake up and find that it was only a dream, but that would have upset me in the dream world, too! Funny about the math
Then again, in the dream world, mathematics and physics seem irrelevant

I'll cross my fingers for a whoosh soon. I've been waiting for one for QUITE a while now
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Try not to stress too much. I have gained 3 in one day from the morning when I weighed myself to the evening before I went to bed. Sometimes our bodies just act crazy, they aren't machines. I am sure it will even out again.

You are doing really well overall and that is what you should focus on. I know it is hard not to get discouraged when we see the scale, but the long term goal is weight loss and health and look how great you are doing!
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #22

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I have a lot of fluctuations. I often only lose weight about two weeks of the month, and the rest of the time I bounce around. I think it's not uncommon for women especially to have these fluctuations
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 196 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarblesLongGone View Post
Yes, this..a couple lbs is natural.. I weifgh daily and weekly.. Have a good day..Lizzie
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarblesLongGone
Stats: 273/214/188 6'0"
WOE: Grain-free, sugar-free, real foods
Start Date: 2010 (I have years of weight data recorded)
You have to look at YOUR data to see what your flux is. If you average your weight by the week, and see how much variation, up and down that you see in a normal week, and keep track of what happens right before, on and after TOM, you will see patterns. I figure that the daily weighers have a more accurate picture. The weekly weighers can get gobsmacked by fluke readings. Say that you have a 5 pound swing, from 150-155. If the first week, you weigh at 150, and you behaved, and the next week, you weighed in at 155, you could be disgusted and discouraged. Whereas, the daily weigher was 150, 153, 151, 152, 154, 150, 152, 155. The daily weigher knows that it is just bounce. Maybe more waterweight from higher sodium, or less sleep which is always higher weight for me, even with the same diet.

http://www.facebook.com/sandi.conover.jones
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #25

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
This the third thread I've seen about a 2 lb gain in day. Water weight fluctuations are common and can average 5 lbs in a day for some. If you weigh daily take an average of 7 days to get a more true picture of what is going on. Take it in stride and keep your chin up.

Weight Fluctuations

Last edited by lisabinil; 01-05-2011 at 05:32 PM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
I will jump 2 lbs. up regularly.

I dip down to an 'all time lowest' weight and then for the next few days I bounce way up. Then I level out somewhere in between and then have another 'all time lowest.' Then it starts all over again. I only record my lowest weights on the calendar, that way over time I just see a downward trend and I don't have to look at all the crazy spikes.

It's water, salt . . . taxes . . . maybe the influence of the moon . . . I wouldn't let it get you down. Maybe have a low-salt day tomorrow and drink EXTRA water to flush your system?

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 01-05-2011 at 05:20 PM..
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #27

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Blaming it on extra gravity lately. The earth just is sucking more lately

But then again, birds falling from the sky, etc.

Probably just a fluctuation in water retained.
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote