Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Making Excuses

I read a lot of threads/posts on this site and one of the things that sticks out time and time again, and which I have been known to do also, is making excuses for not eating on plan. I truly believe these are just excuses and reasons we fail on our LC WOE or any plan we have chosen to eat for weight loss and good health.

Here are some excuse examples:

1. At a friends house and they made mostly HC food. I didn't want to seem rude so I ate what was there.

Solution: If most of the food is HC only eat what isn't. Almost every host/hostess will have some kind of meat or veggie. If that is all you can eat, then that is all you can eat. Or better yet, offer to bring something to add to the meal you KNOW you can eat.

2. My family doesn't eat like I do and I get tired of cooking differently for myself and them.

Solution: Plan ahead, make your meals and freeze them and then reheat when everyone else is eating the meals you prepare for them.

3. I don't buy the food for my household so I'm stuck with what is bought and have to prepare that food.

Solution: Go shopping for YOU and prepare YOUR food. Use what is bought for the family for the family. You don't HAVE to eat their food, plus I'm sure there is meat and veggies most times in their meals. If you don't want to shop and prepare for you, eat the good LC things in their meals and leave the HC things for them since they AREN'T in your LC WOE plan anyway.

4. A LC way of eating is too expensive.

Solution: Buy meat, cheese, dairy, etc on sale and freeze. Buy in bulk, prepare and freeze. There is a thread on here about cheap LCing, take a look, great ideas.

5. I don't have time to prepare, I'm not a cook/baker, or I eat out a lot or on the go.

Solution: We all have busy schedules, even those of us that stay home. Planning ahead is the key here, even if it's asking/paying someone to do the cooking/baking for you. Or if that is not an option, make GOOD choices when you are out and about. Even fast food places have a way around to eat LC, you just have to be inventive.

Well these are just some of the excuses we all have made I'm sure from time to time, but please feel free to add anything else to this lists if you want. The point is their really isn't any reason to NOT eat on our LC WOE.

We chose not to eat on our plan and our LC WOE by using excuses to feel better about not choosing well.

Just my opinion and nothing more.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 01-04-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Great post Linda!
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
Yes, very good post. If there is a will, there is a way!
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

I know in my case I had to get my brain wrapped around the idea that I could do this and still can. I was not even tempted over the holiday's because my resolve is that this weight will come off and stay off. It's a mind game I have to play with myself daily.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Musa
Stats: 145.6/131.6/100
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/20/2010
Another excuse is "It is only for today" "I will start on Monday"

That way of thinking and I am 45 pounds heavier tthan I used to be.
Musa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #6

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
2. My family doesn't eat like I do and I get tired of cooking differently for myself and them.
For me, this one is the most frustrating. Knowing what I know about human nutrition, I wonder, "what is the rest of the family eating and who will save them"? No matter how large or small, processed foods and beverages are damaging.

Great post Linda!
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
Another excuse is "It is only for today" "I will start on Monday"

That way of thinking and I am 45 pounds heavier than I used to be.
I really like this one and I have done this myself in the past. Not anymore because of the outcome, just like yours!!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
This isn't an excuse, but what do ya'll do when you are actually too tired to cook and there isn't a thing made ahead and fast food isn't an option around here? Any ideas?
I know the smart thing would be to have food made up ahead of time but I work a lot of hours and there are times I'm just too beat to cook at all. I can't pay anyone to cook for me either, so that option is out.
I'm just looking for suggestions, please.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I always cook our food on Sundays. I roast a 5lb bag of chicken, boil a dz eggs, cook a pork/beef roast in the crock pot, make a big pot of chili ect. I always have our food prepared as DH and I work 2 separate shifts, and he has his meals ready for him at night. I hope this helped
Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #10

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
It only takes a couple of minutes and very little effort to scramble some eggs.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Musa
Stats: 145.6/131.6/100
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/20/2010
Sundays are my salvation. Friday night I am too exhausted to cook. Saturdays is study and cleaning day, so that left me sundays to pack foods in containers, shop salad veggies etc.

If I dont have time to cook, canned tuna (low sodium) is a good option!
Musa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
Nigel, I'm no expert here, but would you have anything to eat at all that's already prepared? If you do, Go thru it and see if you can just eat some meat, some cheese, and maybe a green veggie. Throw some bacon in the microwave, and fix you a couple of eggs...just takes minutes. I've been to the point that I didn't want to cook either, but did manage to stay op. May not always be what I want, but atleast it took away the hunger, and kept me from eating something I know I shouldn't have. But, I think that you can see that the best thing to do is to prepare for these times ahead of time. Good Luck....I know that you can do this!

Just want to add, not the best option, but maybe keep some of the prepared shakes in the fridge for occasions such as this...or some nuts in the pantry.

GOOD POST, BEEB!

Carole

Last edited by arkie1; 01-04-2011 at 10:28 AM..
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Great list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I just had this discussion with my family over the weekend. My hubby announced to everyone that I cook their food, then I cook my food, but this is simply not true. I usually prepare one higher carb side or they eat tortillas or bread with whatever dinner is. I have news for them... everyone eats my food, like it or not! My plate definitely looks different because it is minus carby items, that's it! I do sometimes make a regular desert for them but not often.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
This isn't an excuse, but what do ya'll do when you are actually too tired to cook and there isn't a thing made ahead and fast food isn't an option around here? Any ideas?
I know the smart thing would be to have food made up ahead of time but I work a lot of hours and there are times I'm just too beat to cook at all. I can't pay anyone to cook for me either, so that option is out.
Are you sure you aren't making an excuse? Something to think about, that's all.

How about pre-made meals? Several of my stores in my area have these. Just pick the ones that are a better LC choice, freeze and heat up in the micro.

Last edited by Beeb; 01-04-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Excellent post!!!!!!! You know, we all have choice and it is about making the best one every single time. I often think to myself if I have been in a situation where I didn't have a choice or just suffered a little bit. There has not been one that came to mind at all. If I made a bad choice in the past or make one in the future, it is all on me.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzabelle
Stats: 185/135/135 5'7"
WOE: My own version of LC
Start Date: 1/5/09
Quote:

Well, what would you do if you weren't eating LC in the same situation...you would likely just eat a non meal, right? Well eat a non meal the LC way. Scrambling eggs is a great option, I also like bran crackers with sunbutter and 50/50 jam. But you could make a plate of cheese, olives, meats. Throw together a quick salad. There's a number of ways to fill up when you don't feel like "cooking". Also, fast food, though not a first choice, does actually provide some options. Do some research now, before you need it, on the websites to see what you can have and what the carb counts are..then when in a pinch you know what to go for.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Nigel, I agree with the posts above. Scrambled eggs are easy, buy a rotisserie chicken, I love dry salami and some good hard cheese, and alot of places sell the bags of veggies that you may microwave for a few minutes.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MaterialGirl
Stats: 190/183/140
WOE: CYT
Start Date: July 9, 2012
Yep - whatever the case, we all are busy. I also have a tough schedule - I work 4/10 hour days during the week and start super early at 6:00 a.m. So I have to have portable breakfast, lunch and a snack ready each day. I do my exercise after work so DH needs to be able to have dinner in the fridge and heat it up.

I use the same solution as Piratewoman cooking several meals on Sunday. I do my shopping once a week on Fridays - my day off. Then I come home and wrap and freeze the meat, slice cheese and chop celery for snacks. On Sundays I make a different quiche every week so my breakfast (or lunch) is taken care of. Then I make hard boiled or deviled eggs for quick snacks. Meanwhile I roast a chicken or a beef roast in the crock pot and usually have some kind of l/c casserole in the oven. It might be beef/cabbage lasagna or sausage, mozzeralla, pepperoni or maybe chicken enchiladas with l/c tortillas. Then I pack it up, label it and put it in the fridge for the week. This little prep and organization goes a long way. Now that this is a routine I am finished with everything on Sundays by noon. I started the weird schedule before I started l/c so the timing is the same, just cooking different things. It does take a while to get in the groove, but like all changes, gets easier with time. You can do it!
MaterialGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
There are plenty of quick/easy lc options- scrambled eggs, sunny side up eggs, boiled eggs, with bacon/cheese. Or, a can of salmon or tuna. Or, a protein shake. Or, a piece of salami and cheese. Or, a big salad. I also love to use my Ronco when I really don't want to cook anything- you literally set it and forget it, and 60 mins later I have a fantastic rotisserie chicken ready,.

I never cook anything ahead of time because leftovers disgust me and there are so many options that I've never had to go off plan yet because I was tired or short on time.

Look at it this way- are you ever too tired to brush your teeth? Even if you are horrendously sleepy you can still do a quick brushing, and skipping it completely almost never occurs, LC eating should be the same way, it's just what you do, like brushing your teeth. I can brush my teeth with my eyes closed and can pretty much do the same when I am frying eggs and bacon.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
Cook on Sundays as well.

Things in my fridge that I almost always have...
1. Eggs
2. Bacon
3. Cheese(s)
4. Taco Meat
5. Lettuce (Romane, Spinach or Spring Mix)
6. Broccoli (Big bag of spears from Costco)

Keeping these items on hand means I never have an valid excuse to eat off plan. No matter how well I plan I am guilty of screwing up from time to time. The trick is to have a short memory and move on.
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #21
Resident crazy dog lady

Quote:
How did you handle eating before on tired days?

All the stores around here have rotisserie chicken among other items that would work with canned green beans, or minute steak with frozen veggies or bagged salad with blue cheese dressing, hamburger with cheese and roasted cauliflower, egg drop soup, stir fry lemon chicken and veggies. I could make all of these items in less than 5-10 minutes even double the quantity and heat it up the next day. If you really need to stop at a drive-thru, study the nutritional info ahead of time and choose your best option. Once you do it for a while it does get easier. I find it easy to be very basic, meat and veggies with butter an or a sauce even if it's just mustard and mayo mixed. I would much rather stand in front of the stove for 5 minutes the in the drive-thru line, but some days maybe that's the only option. Planning ahead will be your best friend.

RIP Daisy Dog 1/26/1997 - 7/11/2012

Not every person knows how to love a dog, but every dog knows how to love a person.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
Yeah, I cook for four people. DH still eats carbs "moderately". My son and I both have food intolerances, so I have to exclude things for him that the rest of us can eat, and vice versa. My daughter is little and working with fewer teeth, so some things aren't awesome for her either.

I don't buy the not feeling like cooking thing. I find that the people who most often don't feel like cooking are the people who most often don't cook. I'm not saying that as a slam or anything, but cooking becomes much less daunting the more often you do it, so what might have been a big deal once is just part of your day now.

If you'd have told me when I was in my early 20's how much I would be cooking, even on a daily basis, I'd have called you (figurative) a filthy liar. But, here I am.

Oh, and uh...Crock pots. You're welcome.

Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

**Nursing Mama, rediscovering a traditional diet
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Girl you know it's true!
Excellent post. I printed it out!
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Nigel,

The problem is you don't think about this until it's too late and you are too tired to deal. You have to have a couple of emergency meals on hand all the time. I always have cheese in the fridge and jars of pickles, olives, pickled jalapeno.. etc to munch on too.

I keep a couple of pre-cooked turkey roasts (they have them at our walmart - If they don't have them at yours.. cook some meat and wrap it well and put it in the freezer in individual portions).. I have these roasts and also pre-cooked burgers with the bacon already on them, frozen - 2 at a time.

Cans of green beans and jars of mushrooms are my emergency veggie staples.
Basically ANYTHING can be your emergency staple.. you just have to plan ahead.

When I run low on my staple foods I make sure to re-stock them. I KNOW myself, I know I have to do this, I have learned from experience.

Sure it's better to cook fresh foods but this keeps me on plan when I am WAY to tired to deal.

Plan ahead and you are good to go.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #25

Gallery: fawn
Stop at a grocery store Nigel. That's what I would do.....
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb

Great list!

I just had this discussion with my family over the weekend. My hubby announced to everyone that I cook their food, then I cook my food, but this is simply not true. I usually prepare one higher carb side or they eat tortillas or bread with whatever dinner is. I have news for them... everyone eats my food, like it or not! My plate definitely looks different because it is minus carby items, that's it! I do sometimes make a regular desert for them but not often.
This is what I was going to say... making a "normal carb" (for lack of a better term ) meal is nothing more than adding a side to what I eat ~ but usually, what I can eat is just fine.

It is only on occasion that I will make a separate meal because there is no way to make it "on plan" and it's a treat they like. On those occasions, I just eat eggs or leftovers. It's just not a big deal and its definitely not an excuse!.
BWYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #27
Resident crazy dog lady

I was trying to be helpful, my hubby is clueless in the kitchen, so I know some may need help figuring it out. I hope Nigel comes back and learns if that's the case.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 203 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSage View Post
Yeah, I cook for four people. DH still eats carbs "moderately". My son and I both have food intolerances, so I have to exclude things for him that the rest of us can eat, and vice versa. My daughter is little and working with fewer teeth, so some things aren't awesome for her either.

I don't buy the not feeling like cooking thing. I find that the people who most often don't feel like cooking are the people who most often don't cook. I'm not saying that as a slam or anything, but cooking becomes much less daunting the more often you do it, so what might have been a big deal once is just part of your day now.

If you'd have told me when I was in my early 20's how much I would be cooking, even on a daily basis, I'd have called you (figurative) a filthy liar. But, here I am.

Oh, and uh...Crock pots. You're welcome.
Crock Pots!!! What did we ever do without them???
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyboss7 View Post
Crock Pots!!! What did we ever do without them???
Right...?!

I swear, they're the only reason I can leave the house during the day and still have a meal on the table at night.

I have 3 of them, and there have actually been times where I had all 3 going at once. :blush:
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
We do what a few posters above also do-- everyone eats what I eat, just with a side of rice. Even if I go crazy and make them spaghetti, I eat a bowl of the meat, sauce and cheese, and they eat the same over noodles. We've never had any issues!
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote