Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
What is ACV and what does it do for you?

Can someone please let me in on the acv mystery.Thank`s.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
apple cider vinegar...dont use it....sounds nasty....click on acv in your original post...
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
Wonderful stuff. Solved a lot of digestive problems that I had created for myself as a very young adult. Full of enzymes, good bacteria, and all kinds of other great stuff.

I've used it on and off for years. I use it as a food, though. I put it in salad dressings, etc. However, if I'm under the weather, I will drink it straight up in some warm water with some ginger and cinnamon.

Love it, but it's pointless if you don't get the good stuff. Look for it organic, and with "the mother".
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
OK. Thanks.Where do you find the good stuff?
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
It works for me. Makes my water taste yummy if I add a few drops of Sweetzfree or EZ-Sweetz as well. Like a tart apple cider.

Benefits I've seen:

Controlling persistent fungal infection in my ear when nothing else has been helpful (Alters pH, I assume. I'm not using as ear drops. I'm taking the ACV internally via bottled spring water.)

Appetite suppressant

Tremendously cuts down on fluid retention (morning puffiness) even if I had been lax with drinking water the day/night before (I notice this ONLY when water intake was lax BUT I had my daily doses of ACV when I *did* drink water.)

No headaches whatsoever (Not even a hangover after lots of wine the night before)

I'm sure there have been other benefits, but THESE are the ones I've personally noticed after years of symptoms. (Well, the hangover headaches are rare, but after a bottle of wine the night before, I should have felt SOMEthing. Not even a twinge and I'm at least 20 lbs lighter than the LAST time I had a bottle of wine AND I consumed no starches prior to having wine the other night.)
Vanity Goal: 128 lbs and Ready for Bikini Weather next summer

Last edited by rqw1968; 01-03-2011 at 09:37 PM..
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
That's very interesting about the ear fungal thing. Last year I got an ear flakiness that wouldn't go away no matter what I did-- then I started the ACV in September and for a few months my ears were completely clean and flake free. I ran out in November sometime and never had the time to buy another bottle-- and sure enough the ear flakes are back in force! (Gross, I know-- sorry!) I never put the two and two together, but I'm going back on the ACV, stat!
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
That's very interesting about the ear fungal thing. Last year I got an ear flakiness that wouldn't go away no matter what I did-- then I started the ACV in September and for a few months my ears were completely clean and flake free. I ran out in November sometime and never had the time to buy another bottle-- and sure enough the ear flakes are back in force! (Gross, I know-- sorry!) I never put the two and two together, but I'm going back on the ACV, stat!
Yep. It's that flaky crap. I have allergies BAD and the doc said the fungal infection is because of all the drainage. :bleah: I wish I could get Bragg's in my area. I have to travel close to 30 miles to buy a bottle, so it has to be a planned thing. Too scared to have it shipped since it's in a glass bottle.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
Thanks, RQW! That stuff is just embarassing. I just made myself a nice tall glass of water with a splash of ACV. No more flakes!
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqw1968 View Post
I wish I could get Bragg's in my area. I have to travel close to 30 miles to buy a bottle, so it has to be a planned thing. Too scared to have it shipped since it's in a glass bottle.
I have happy news for you! I just found Bragg's on Netrition. I've never been able to find the raw ACV in the stores near me, so I've not been able to give ACV a shot until yesterday. I find the taste to be somewhat pleasant! I take it down in a shot glass. I don't know how it is at room temperature, but I'm keeping it in the refrigerator and cold is good. PS: They wrapped it tightly in lots of bubble wrap and it arrived totally unharmed.

One thing I've noticed and can not even believe is that I have zero appetite; beginning with the very first day I took it. I have to force myself to eat, even when I feel physical hunger. I have been wondering why I'm not interested in food anymore, then today I put 2 and 2 together.

I'm so glad I found some! So, check out Netrition, ladies!

My Journal.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Made me pretty sick, as well - but I'm happy for the people who have found relief with it - just wish I could say the same!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Big Yapper!

Well, I normally don't respond to things the way other people do. For example, I bought a great big tub of organic virgin coconut oil (Nutiva) after reading so many good things about it from people who swear by it. But for me, it caused me to instantly pack on about 2.5 lbs and then I'd stall there until I stopped taking it. So I'm THRILLED to see something positive with the RACV.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baca
Stats: 194/179.6/size 6-8
WOE: VLC
Start Date: January 24, 2011
I take a about a tablespoon of acv in about a quarter cup of water every day. It gives me a little bit of an energy boost.
My husband takes it for his heartburn/indigestion. It has worked miracles for him. Now I've got him Low Carb for this past week and his indigestion has virtually disappeared.
Baca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

This:
Apple Cider Vinegar Cures
will tell you all you could ever want to know about ACV.
I buy it at GNC.
It's helped my husband with his heartburn and indigestion and I take it for a little energy boost.

Last edited by Baca; 02-05-2011 at 08:12 PM..
Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
Start Date: 2/14/10
When I was 230 lbs and just starting, I read the long ACV thread and the Coconut Oil thread and bought both. The ACV was purchased on line from Bragg and it came in glass bottles, without incident. Later I bought 2 gal. and it came in one gallon plastic containers.

I had many benefits at that time, but the thing was they were all with the use of ACV, CO and of course the restriction of sugar and grains. I had great reduction in arthritis pain, sinus congestion, dry skin and general overall feelings of well being. But, of course, I didn't know which of the things I had changed was responsible and I didn't care.

I continue the coconut oil and the sugar and grain restriction, but I gave up the ACV because I had to mix it with diet Pepsi or Lemon juice and Sweet and Low to get it down. I have been trending toward zero carb and the combo of ACV, AS and lemon juice seemed to cancel each other out.

It's been a month or two since I gave up ACV and I have not noticed any problems.

As an old fat guy, the decision to take ACV was a good one.

Now, as a late, late middle aged slim dude, the decision to give it up seems right.

I would take it again if the conditions warranted.

Last edited by CalRon; 02-05-2011 at 08:39 PM..
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
Big Yapper!

Thanks for the link! Exciting stuff there.

CalRon, congratulations on getting younger! WTG!! Thanks for telling your ACV story. I'm really glad I don't mind the taste of it, straight up. I don't blame you for stopping it, since you had to disguise it so much.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: killerblues
Stats: 162/148/140 5'9"
WOE: atkins (ish)
Start Date: a long time ago
I use vinegar every day anyway so just using ACV just makes sense since it is so beneficial. I love it. It tastes wonderful.
killerblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
My last time doing LC, I developed severe indigestion and heartburn - I was so sick with it, that I couldn't find the energy to stay on plan. After a few days off plan, the heartburn and indigestion were gone.

A week or so ago, I started experiencing the same terrible heartburn and indigestion - I was miserable and sad, because I KNOW that LC works for me, but it seemed like it didn't work for my digestive system. However, after searching the boards for an answer, I read that sometimes a shot of ACV will take care of the problem. I rummaged around in my fridge and found some non-organic store brand ACV and geared up to choke it down. I found the taste surprising pleasant and within minutes the indigestion and heartburn were gone. I'm now taking a daily shot of it, and haven't had even a single moments discomfort since.

Now that I've read this thread, I've also realized that my ear flakiness and chronic sinus pain have also abated. This stuff is amazing!
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
Thanks, RQW! That stuff is just embarassing. I just made myself a nice tall glass of water with a splash of ACV. No more flakes!
It's been a while since our discussion about this problem. How's the ACV worked for you ?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Thanks for the link! Exciting stuff there.

CalRon, congratulations on getting younger! WTG!! Thanks for telling your ACV story. I'm really glad I don't mind the taste of it, straight up. I don't blame you for stopping it, since you had to disguise it so much.
Make sure you drink it with water, then either drink water or brush your teeth after. It's hell on tooth enamel !!! I put mine in water so that it's not as harsh on my tummy either. The taste doesn't bother me, but I'm afraid that straight acid isn't good for my esophagus either.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Last weekend, Kroger had Braggs' 32 oz bottle at 2 for $6. I'd bought one for my house and one for Cutie-Pie's. No excuses for either of us now !
Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Asiago
WOE: WLS/RNY
Start Date: April 23, 2012
I love it - I call coconut oil and acv both my weirdest lc items and the last ones I'd give up. I do my coco oil coffee in the morning (and have 4 other people at work doing the same!) and afterwards I switch to my acv. Sometimes I put it in with crystal light peach tea and have lately been putting it in water (about 16-20 oz) with a shot of sf caramel syrup. SO GOOD!!!

I use it on salads, to brine meat and in drinks. LC seems to take care of heartburn and water retention for me, but acv assists as well.
Asiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Make sure you drink it with water, then either drink water or brush your teeth after. It's hell on tooth enamel !!! I put mine in water so that it's not as harsh on my tummy either. The taste doesn't bother me, but I'm afraid that straight acid isn't good for my esophagus either.
My father in law, a dentist, told me to wait at least 30 minutes before brushing my teeth after taking ACV because it does soften your tooth enamel and if you brush too soon after, you're brushing softened enamel which isn't good so it's best to wait until it has a little chance to firm back up.
Also, if you can drink it through a straw it has a lot less contact with your teeth.
I mix about a TBS with a 1/4 C of water and shoot it. I'd drink it through a straw but I can never remember to buy them.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca View Post
My father in law, a dentist, told me to wait at least 30 minutes before brushing my teeth after taking ACV because it does soften your tooth enamel and if you brush too soon after, you're brushing softened enamel which isn't good so it's best to wait until it has a little chance to firm back up.
Thanks, Baca !!!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #24
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:
Yep. It's that flaky crap. I have allergies BAD and the doc said the fungal infection is because of all the drainage. :bleah: I wish I could get Bragg's in my area. I have to travel close to 30 miles to buy a bottle, so it has to be a planned thing. Too scared to have it shipped since it's in a glass bottle.
I sometimes buy my right here from netrition when I order.. They ship it and none of my glass bottles never break.. try them out!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #25

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
yes, I see other warnings on this, but please don't brush right away. instead RINSE RINSE RINSE with water, squishing it betwixt and between your teeth!

I was gonna try the Braggs, but I have to admit the eel thing has be a bit queasy. OK, a LOT queasy.

I use regular apple cider vinegar as my main cooking vinegar--I like the slight fruitiness it adds more than the notes from wine vinegar. Spanish aged sherry vinegar is the best, and I highly recommend everyone try it, if you can find a bottle that doesn't bankrupt you.

I tried the Trader Joe's organic unfiltered ACV, which is EXPENSIVE though not EXORBITANT like Braggs is. I don't find it significantly better than the store ACV in the gallon jug for $3.35.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #26
Big Yapper!

Well, this is day 4 on raw ACV. I have to say that I love it, except for one itty bitty thing. I haven't lost a single ounce in 4 days, either. I hope this is just a strange coincidence. I'd hate having to stop taking it, like the VCO.

I noticed when drinking down rapidly from a shot glass that it tends to go right down the center of my tongue and then down the hatch. I still rinse with water, but it doesn't make contact with any of my teeth.

Also, Ravenrose mentioned the eel thing. Mine is Bragg's but it's just plain cloudy. No visible strands of anything. I give it a gentle shake before pouring just to be sure, but it doesn't appear to need it.

Has anybody else noticed their weight loss slow or stop on ACV? I hope it's not related!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
I've never noticed weight loss stopping from ACV. I'm a very regular user of it, too...For me, though, I lose in stints. My body stops losing for a week or so, then I'll have a few days of loss...So, I'm careful not to get too freaked out that something small I'm doing is stopping the loss for at least a while. The scale always starts moving again, eventually. Think of this as a healing process...Your body is fixing problems, even when the scale is not moving, and the ACV is just one more tool in your arsenal to heal those issues.

Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

**Nursing Mama, rediscovering a traditional diet
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
It's a valuable live food.

It's not just a water tonic. Replace your dead vinegars with it. Your body will thank you with the beneficial enzymes and acids it provides the body.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
i try to drink it everyday, it helps with my appetite---i put a good TBS in about 8 oz of water and drink with a straw--not all at once, and then i might do it again in the afternoon----plain water the rest of the day---i think it taste great
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #30
Big Yapper!

Yes, you are right. I know it's good for me and I am healing. I will keep my eyes open and see how things go.