Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Favorite Brand of Heavy Whipping Cream? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/704378-favorite-brand-heavy-whipping-cream.html)

Beeb 01-03-2011 06:17 PM

Favorite Brand of Heavy Whipping Cream?

I just found one at Aldi's that I just LOVE! It's 0 carbs and very, very creamy and thick. The brand is Friendly Farms and as far as I know Aldi's is the only place that I have seen this brand name.

JUST AMAZINGLY YUMMY!!! :clap:

lisabinil 01-03-2011 06:24 PM

:hiya: Beeb! Just for the sake of Atkins Induction newbies who are counting carbs it does have about .5 carbs per tbl. It is a food many newbies overdue thinking it is really a 0 carb food because of the way the USDA allows pkg labeling. How's the price? Grocery store here raised the price of hwc to $6.49 a quart during Dec-I kid you not-it usually runs $3.09-$3.39.

WendyK1974 01-03-2011 06:36 PM

I like the Aldi brand too. I also like Garelic Farms. I don't like Hood. It's so odd that the brands would taste different, but they do.

Charcutier 01-03-2011 06:59 PM

Darigold Classic 40% - I think it's available only in the Pacific Northwest. I can only get it at Costco and the local restaurant supply.

Just an FYI - dairy is usually a locally or regionally produced item. Dairy farmers form cooperatives to sell their milk to the big processors - but your standard generic, store brand, and name brand milk cartons may all contain milk from the very same farm or even the same cow!

Beeb 01-03-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 14229171)
:hiya: Beeb! Just for the sake of Atkins Induction newbies who are counting carbs it does have about .5 carbs per tbl. It is a food many newbies overdue thinking it is really a 0 carb food because of the way the USDA allows pkg labeling. How's the price? Grocery store here raised the price of hwc to $6.49 a quart during Dec-I kid you not-it usually runs $3.09-$3.39.

I am reading the Nutrition Facts as I type and they go like this:

1 tbsp serving
Cal 50
Fat 5
Total Carbs 0 (it doesn't say <1 like most HWC does, it is a straight 0)
Fiber 0
Sugar 0
Protein 0

That looks like 0 carbs to me, Lisa and it's was $1.59 a pint (16 oz)

red_delicious 01-03-2011 07:21 PM

Beeb -- I love Friendly Farms, too. But around here, it is a seasonal product that Aldi only carries during the holidays. Once it runs out in January, we don't see it again until around October.

leeloo 01-03-2011 07:27 PM

I like brands that, at a minimum, don't have any gums or starches or other weird ingredients. Organic is even better.

Fresh Breeze is a delicious local brand (I'm in the NW).

beeb - I hate to tell you, but on the "nutrition facts" manufacturers are allowed to round down carb counts to "zero carbs per serving" when in reality the food is really "less than one" carb per serving. This is what is meant by hidden carbs, and it's very irritating. :mad:

According to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference

Cream, heavy whipping:

.42 carbs per tablespoon
3.35 carbs per cup

Charcutier 01-03-2011 07:39 PM

I'm with the others, beeb - I trust the USDA to tell me what's in something before I do the manufacturer.

ravenrose 01-03-2011 08:36 PM

yeah, I was going to say, cream is cream, if there are no additives. I don't think one would have less carbs than the others, if they have the same butterfat content. just rounding differences.

alligatorpie 01-03-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeloo (Post 14229404)
.42 carbs per tablespoon
3.35 carbs per cup

3.35 per half cup? 16 tbsp in cup?

Beeb 01-03-2011 08:42 PM

Since this thread is about the Heavy Whipping Cream you like and not about the carb count, let's just let whoever wants to proceed on the side of caution and count the carbs or lack of as they may. ;)

Charcutier 01-03-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alligatorpie (Post 14229598)
3.35 per half cup? 16 tbsp in cup?

Correct. 1 Tblsp = 1/2 fl. oz.

rosethorns 01-03-2011 09:00 PM

I use to go to a creamry called Friendly Farms in CT. 30 years ago in college.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:wow memories!

lisabinil 01-04-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 14229329)
I am reading the Nutrition Facts as I type and they go like this:

1 tbsp serving
Cal 50
Fat 5
Total Carbs 0 (it doesn't say <1 like most HWC does, it is a straight 0)
Fiber 0
Sugar 0
Protein 0

That looks like 0 carbs to me, Lisa and it's was $1.59 a pint (16 oz)

Beeb don't mean to threadjack but labeling laws allow anything .5 to .9 to be labeled as <1 and anything .4 or less as 0. Run this through a hidden carbs calculator there are 5 cals unaccounted for. Fat x 9 + Protein X 4 + Carbs X 4 = total calories. Just for the newbies Beeb not being snarky-good to see you posting!

PonderousOne 01-04-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charcutier (Post 14229316)
Darigold Classic 40% - I think it's available only in the Pacific Northwest. I can only get it at Costco and the local restaurant supply.

Just an FYI - dairy is usually a locally or regionally produced item. Dairy farmers form cooperatives to sell their milk to the big processors - but your standard generic, store brand, and name brand milk cartons may all contain milk from the very same farm or even the same cow!

I also like Darigold Classic 40% and find it at Top Foods in Lacey. I do shop Safeway more though, so I usually get Lucerne HWC which incidentally lists the carb count on the container as 1g for 1 tbsp.

SkeeterN 01-04-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 14229139)
I just found one at Aldi's that I just LOVE! It's 0 carbs and very, very creamy and thick. The brand is Friendly Farms and as far as I know Aldi's is the only place that I have seen this brand name.

JUST AMAZINGLY YUMMY!!! :clap:

Aldi's seem to only have their HWC as a seasonal item. But my favorite by far is Walmart because their prices can't be beat

piratewoman 01-04-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 14230611)
Aldi's seem to only have their HWC as a seasonal item. But my favorite by far is Walmart because their prices can't be beat

This^^^^^^^^^^^^ it's where I buy groceries and I think it's great HWC and you sure can't beat the price

Looweewoo 01-04-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendyK1974 (Post 14229222)
It's so odd that the brands would taste different, but they do.

Different grass? :confused:

SugarFreeSheila 01-04-2011 07:22 AM

I love Target's Market Pantry heavy cream.

http://springsbargains.com/wp-conten...am-223x300.png

ChunkyChicken 01-04-2011 07:25 AM

I really like the Aldi's brand too. I will be sad when I can't get it any more! A close second is Dairymans.

AnneLC11 01-04-2011 07:28 AM

Horizon organic heavy cream is my favorite.

As for the <1g carb actually meaning there may be as many as .4 or .7g carbs -- aren't we getting a little obsessive here?!?!? You'll burn more than that just getting the cream from the fridge!!!

Looweewoo 01-04-2011 07:32 AM

For some it's not about what you burn or not, it's whether your insulin gets slammed up and down as those carbs are passing through you. When your limit is 10 grams of carbs, half a gram here and there makes a difference.

ChunkyChicken 01-04-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnneLC11 (Post 14230673)

As for the <1g carb actually meaning there may be as many as .4 or .7g carbs -- aren't we getting a little obsessive here?!?!? You'll burn more than that just getting the cream from the fridge!!!

I forgot about Horizon organic. I like this brand too. Seems to me I am not that picky :laugh:
True, it might be "obsessive" to some, but when you're very sensitive to carbs like some are, those really add up, especially when you're using more than one serving. Add some sweetener to your coffee, and already you're at 3 carbs for the one serving of cream, the sweetener and the coffee. I know I never stop at one cup!

Auntie Em 01-04-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looweewoo (Post 14230626)
Different grass? :confused:

I have yet to find grass-fed cream in my area. Cream from pastured cows is food from heaven. :)

I, too, notice that the taste of brands varies.

Different feed, which is grains plus who knows what all they put in the cows, different breeds, different additives, different storage?

Beeb 01-04-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 14230115)
Beeb don't mean to threadjack but labeling laws allow anything .5 to .9 to be labeled as <1 and anything .4 or less as 0. Run this through a hidden carbs calculator there are 5 cals unaccounted for. Fat x 9 + Protein X 4 + Carbs X 4 = total calories. Just for the newbies Beeb not being snarky-good to see you posting!

Good points and didn't take it as snarky at all, just concern for the newbies! :hugs:

trflgrl 01-04-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_delicious (Post 14229395)
Beeb -- I love Friendly Farms, too. But around here, it is a seasonal product that Aldi only carries during the holidays. Once it runs out in January, we don't see it again until around October.

Semi-sort-of thread jack: I've had success freezing milk--whether whole or skim--because half gallons sometimes go on the 10 for $10 sale. Haven't tried it with cream, but at such an incredible price, I'd be tempted....anyone else know how well it works? You could buy a bunch of your favorite and not worry about seasonality!

ETA: Friendly Farms is Aldi's own store brand, so ya gotta get it there!

Dottie 01-04-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Most people don't use just 1T though. When you're adding 1/2-1 cup to a recipe, it does add up fast.

tulipsandroses 01-04-2011 10:38 AM

I like the brand that Target carries. They use it at Seattle's Best and Starbucks. Its the thickest I've found. Second to that is Walmart's brand. Its also thick.

afuentes 01-04-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

DITTO - my fave too.

snowdancer79 01-04-2011 06:24 PM

Hands down, Organic Valley has the heaaviest, creamiest, best whipping cream in the store!