LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PoWdA
Stats: 244/210/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 8, 2010
Low Carb Fast food

Yeah yeah I know, fast food is terrible, bad for you, etc...

The truth is that we are not all able to cook 3 meals a day at home and often times the only place to eat is out. I am a father of a 2 1/2 year old son. I work full time in the city and my girlfriend is in school full time. I am also in school part time and am very active in my martial arts. Needless to say I have a VERY busy schedule.

I generally make dinner and when I can I make breakfast. The problem I have is with lunch. the purpose of this thread is to have people post good low carb options at well known fast food places. This ranges from McDonalds to Chipotle. Basically, I am having no problem staying on this diet but it would help to have a few "safety valve" foods I can get on the go.

I also had a few questions about foods that I have had at fast food places that I think are LC but I am not sure how LC they really are.

I understand that fast food is not a good first choice but when I work a 9-5 in the city I don't always have the option of a the perfect LC food. I said it once and I will say it again, sometimes eating out is the only option.

I hope to see some good and creative choices in this thread!
PoWdA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Like I said, I wanted to post a few foods I have eaten and see what everyone thinks.

My current favorite LC meal out of the house is a chipotle chicken/steak salad. I have calculated about 10g carbs so high for one meal but it keeps me under my 20 for the day.

Yesterday I ate subway for the first time and had a tuna salad with black olives. Not bad, I wonder if it was too much lettuce though.

A few days ago I ended up at a taco bell (On a road trip with family and there was really no where else to eat). I ordered 2 tacos with no shell. I had this with a packet of mild sauce and it was surprisingly good. I still have not found a good readout on how many carbs I ate but it was the lowest edible thing I could think of. I would be lying if I said I don't want this again. I mean it was really tasty. Question is, can I eat this?

My other commonly eaten safety valve is a double cheesburger no bun. When there are no other options I generally fall back on this. It isn't often but when there is nothing else this is what I turn too. Is this terrible?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monk
Stats: 224/221/145
WOE: Low Carb! <3
Start Date: (orig '06-264*'08-150) 02/18/13
Honestly, I think eating out is ok as long as you keep it as real as possible... for example. At Subway i would eat the lunch meats with cheese and veggies instead of the tuna, problem with "mixed" items is you have no idea what they put in there. usually fast food tuna/egg salad mixtures have sugar added to them. And at taco bell I would go for the steak/chicken strips in tacos or taco salad minus the shell, their taco meat is more than just meat I found out. you get my drift. If you know the burger is 100% all beef than cool.. if you are not sure just google, taco bell ingredients etc. you will educate yourself and be prepared to eat out! hth

♥ STATS ♥
7/27/2014 - (reinduct)
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Alot of places have their own website and give out nutrition stats on their food.At the daily plate.com you can plug in your foods and get a readout on most of them. What you are eating sounds mostly lc. You have to watch out for the dressings and sauces.Ketchup is a big no no.They make a sugar free one from heinz. Your best bet is a buger,no bun and a side salad.Just watch the condiments and dressing. Good luck.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yellarose
Stats: 252/252/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 8/29/2012
Sometimes we all are in a situation where we have no choice but to eat fast food. Fortunately there are some options out there.

I like the KFC grilled doubledown, myself. I've only had it once, but I thought it was decent.

Second would be the McDonalds chicken bacon and ranch salad. I know there are some hidden carbs in there, but it's still less than eating a burger with a bun...and more veggies, too!

I know that Wendy's is offering a Cobb salad now, but I'm unaware of the nutritional info on it.

As far as breakfasts go, there really is no safe bet. McDonalds offers scrambled eggs, but they're not real. They pour them from a carton that says "Egg Food" on the side. ICK!
yellarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
PoWdA I do think the boys can get away with more than the girls do in the food department .. Eating fast food just makes me wary because it is so hard to truly gauge what is ok and what is not and exactly what we are really eating -- unless like here in your thread, we can go look it up on a website.

I think your examples look fine to me. Forget about worrying yourself over the extra lettuce. **That** is not going to prevent weightloss. I think you will do fine if you have what you mention here .. I would, however, be more wary of portion sizing when you are out, because we do eat "more" carbs and calories when we are out just because of the mystery food prep element ... If a portion of Chipotle meat and salad seems too good to be true, that is likely the case ... You can check the scale to see just how well you are doing with this way of eating (i.e. gauge on a weekly, not daily basis - things do not correlate that directly). I do think, though, that as a guy - you are all bigger in general and burn calories better than the ladies - it could very well work for you!! Don't dis - count that this could work!

Now for more ideas for the thread: One big big thing I do .. and part of it is a function of the fact that I do not eat meat ... carry around a package of lowcarb pitas (Joseph's). It lets me order sandwiches that might be messy otherwise. I order my sandwich either bread-free if a place seems willing to do that (and then dump it in a pita half), or with bread, and then I just eviscerate it into my pita, lol!

I like to do this:

Papa Gino's: Grilled vegetables and cheese in a pocket (no longer on the above-head menu, but all Papa Gino's still make this. [fyi all, the "bread" they use is actually their pizza crust made into a pocket .. yep, a carb bomb ***very*** necessary to avoid!]

Subway: Same deal! Any of the sandwiches

Au Bon Pain: Sandwich to pita trick, or their salads that have protein in them like Greek for example.

Chinese, Thai or Japanese at the food court: I have the tofu /vegetable dish with a side of another plain vegetable .. you can do the same with the meat/veg dishes. This is not the very lowest carb, but if you avoid anything that says "sweet/sour" or looks like their is a deep fried breading on the meat, you are probably doing pretty ok. Make sure to get across that you do not want rice or noodles!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
Start Date: 10/1/01
When I'm out and about, the best places for LC eating that I've found are:

Jimmy John's
They make a breadless sandwich and call it the "unwich", right on their menu

Hardee's (Carl's Jr) they have a LC Thickburger, wrapped in a lettuce leaf

Burger King
Buck Double from their value menu, order it without a bun and no ketchup--they'll serve it in a little dish with knife and fork
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Thumbs down on Hardee's, IMHO. The low-carb breakfast bowl was lousy. Maybe it was the way they cooked it, I don't know. It tasted bad.

If I could have eaten at a place all week long in VA it would have been Golden Corral. Great tasting steaks! I told the cook to give it to me practically mooing and he obliged!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
While on vacation I was stuck going with a fast food option on more than a few occasions! We had a lot of driving to do and sometimes there was no way out.
I managed to survive a whole month away from home without any weight gain

For breakfast: A breakfast sandwich, toss the bun (like egg bacon and cheese mcmuffin or whatever version they have at whatever fast food place you are at

I've done more than a few cheeseburgers/hamburgers without the bun (I think that Burger King's taste the best, but its probably a matter of opinion!)

You can also make some Oopsie rolls and bring those to eat instead of a bun!

Good luck!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
If you have a Cracker Barrel around they have a LC menu.

http://crackerbarrel.com/menu-dinner...cfm?doc_id=904

Last edited by piratewoman; 01-03-2011 at 10:46 AM..
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
Where I live, the Mongolian BBQ grills are popping up a lot. Basically you get a bowl that you fill with whatever meats, veggies and spices/sauces you like (buffet table style). They then grill cook it and plop it on your choice of rice, pasta, etc. So what I do is just tell them to skip the starch.

As long as I watch which of the sauces I use (I go to the Genghis Grill website to get the stats), I can eat pretty well and with a lot of variation in meat and flavor while keeping the carbs real low. And it is amazing how much meat I can pack into the bowl
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post

For breakfast: A breakfast sandwich, toss the bun (like egg bacon and cheese mcmuffin or whatever version they have at whatever fast food place you are at
I have done this. I actually ordered a sausage mcmuffin no muffin and an extra sausage patty and had like my own breakfast double down concoction. It was actually not bad but I felt terrible about eating McDonalds all the same and am sure there were hidden carbs there somewhere.

Oh and for the record it was on my way to go skiing so needed a fast breakfast that I could eat in the car.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Where I live, the Mongolian BBQ grills are popping up a lot. Basically you get a bowl that you fill with whatever meats, veggies and spices/sauces you like (buffet table style). They then grill cook it and plop it on your choice of rice, pasta, etc. So what I do is just tell them to skip the starch.

As long as I watch which of the sauces I use (I go to the Genghis Grill website to get the stats), I can eat pretty well and with a lot of variation in meat and flavor while keeping the carbs real low. And it is amazing how much meat I can pack into the bowl
Yes we have one called BD's Mongolian BBQ that my co-workers and I have gone to a LOT lately! The place is great and they even have a module on their website that lets you put your order in to calculate the carbs in it! Great place and I too suggest a Mongolian BBQ to anyone that has one in their area!

The last few times I have loaded up on Shrimp and Mahi Mahi but I think next time I am going with all the different steaks they have.

If you are in Denver I suggest you check this place out!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/299.5/287
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
I have for the last two years stopped and gotten a sausage and egg biscuit for breakfast or any of the fast foods ( Wendy's/Hardee's or Mickey D's) $1 double burger minus the onions, ketchup and bun several times a week. Not unusual to get a couple of the $1 burgers and take to work. Toss the bread and add a few olives and some Duke's mayo. For me they are very good source of on the move meal and meet my needs.
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Sorry poWdA, I see you said Fast Food
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Munka213
At Taco Bell, scrape out the insides of a couple hard shell tacos - each one (minus shell) is 3 carbs. Those are my favorite!!!!!
Munka213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
...Hardee's (Carl's Jr)[/B] they have a LC Thickburger, wrapped in a lettuce leaf
Hi folks…

Yup - Carl's Jr (Hardees) is my favorite. I order the $6 burger (which is $3.99) low carb style. It is minus catsup, with onion and tomato, and wrapped in giant lettuce leaves.

Wonderfully refreshing - and I love the Jalapeńo Burger, and the Guacamole Burgers best (done low carb style). Big, thick and cooked well (at least around here they are).

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munka213 View Post
At Taco Bell, scrape out the insides of a couple hard shell tacos - each one (minus shell) is 3 carbs. Those are my favorite!!!!!
3 carbs, that is what I was looking for!

Also, you can order the taco with no shell and they put it in a little bowl for you!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratewoman View Post
Sorry poWdA, I see you said Fast Food
No problem!

And we have a Cracker Barrel about 30 minutes away. I haven't eaten there in forever but it sounds good!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Munka213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWdA View Post
3 carbs, that is what I was looking for!

Also, you can order the taco with no shell and they put it in a little bowl for you!
That's even better! No temptation to start breaking off "just a little piece" of the shell that's just sitting there staring at me!
Munka213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:

I LOVE mongolian barbeque. And it could be a great LC option!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lainielou
Stats: 364/started atkins@339/291/150
WOE: atkins induction/alternating w/zc
we have IN n Out here and they will do any burger "protein style". . . wrapped in lettuce leaves. . it is fun to sometimes feel "normal" that's why I go sometimes and I can't lie. . it's tasty!
lainielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #23

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
It's interesting that you think that's your best lunch option. I find bringing food with me 1000 times easier than dealing with a fast food place. I only "eat out" when some really unexpected happens, but even then I'm more likely to look in a grocery store and see what's available.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:

These are SO good and very healthy choices. I am sad that our local place just closed. I used to make one with steak and shrimp, onion, cabbage and red bell with chili lime garlic sauce (they even had a sauce bar where you could combine for your own homemade sauce).. I could not believe they went out of business.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Now for more ideas for the thread: One big big thing I do .. and part of it is a function of the fact that I do not eat meat ... carry around a package of lowcarb pitas (Joseph's).
Glad I'm not the only one that does this. My favorite though is to take the Joseph's LowCarb Tortillas if I'm going out and about...I find they fold up so nicely into a little triangle and I can stuff them in a snack size baggie. Perfect wrap no matter where you are at!
ddailey320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I don't have many fast food options where I live (probably a good thing) but we do occasionally go to Wendy's and get their Baconators without the bun. They're pretty tasty. I also love Chipolte's chicken salads.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
I usually stick to salads. If you are worried about the dressing you could always carry a bottle of dressing. That's easy enough. If you are anywhere near a large grocery store they often have decent salad bars. A nicer less fast food place should be able to make a salad fast (pizza joints often have good salads).

I tried a salad once at Subway. It was not crazy about it. They didn't even cut anything up, which I found difficult to deal with. The salad was mostly lettuce. I'm not worried about the carbs in lettuce, but the stuff is pretty tasteless.

My next go to item is any sort of burger with mustard and cheese (just take the bun off obviously).

That is about it. I carry a cooler with me when I can find the time to make something ahead. I really don't like eating out anymore. But, as you said, sometimes there isn't much choice.
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
I am finding the 3 carbs for the inside of one taco bell taco AMAZING.... that's like 2.5 bites. It would take 10 of those to fill me up..... turns that 3 carbs into 30 and I might as well at the taco.

PoWdA - I have been to BD's Mongolian BBQ - we love it!
Terilynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
When I go to McDonald's, I like the side salad with caesar or ranch dressing. At Chik-Fil-A, I like the side salad. At Burger King, I like the cheeseburger or the bacon cheeseburger. At Subway, I like the tuna salad sub without the bread or a salad with tuna. At Mcdonald's I like their breakfast sandwich without the bread or the sausage and eggs platter.
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
It's interesting that you think that's your best lunch option. I find bringing food with me 1000 times easier than dealing with a fast food place. I only "eat out" when some really unexpected happens, but even then I'm more likely to look in a grocery store and see what's available.
I don't think fast food is my best lunch option but often times my only option.