Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Sometimes at the pizza places you can order the cheese steak without the bread and they put it in a pan with steak, cheese, peppers and onions and it is good!!!!!
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

If you go to the pizza places and get a pizza, you can eat the top off the pizza and throw away the crust, I haven't done that often but it is good when I have tried it.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Munka213
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbie View Post
If you go to the pizza places and get a pizza, you can eat the top off the pizza and throw away the crust, I haven't done that often but it is good when I have tried it.

I do that even when I'm not lowcarbing. When I would do it around my daughters, they would say "Look, Mom's skinning her pizza!"
Munka213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/175/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
It's hard for me too cook every meal working full time w/2 kids, so here r my fast food lc alternatives

Taco Bell: Fiesta taco saad minus shell, beans, rice,w/extra meat (they think I'm nuts)

McDonalds: Grilled chicken club w/no bun and/or mcdouble no bun

chipotle: chicken salad no beans or rice

Arby's: large side order of roast beef

Wendy's: they have awesome salads or 2 junior bacons minus bun

A&W: great BLT salad

Subway: so many salad options!

etc, etc.....

you can turn any fast food meal into LC with a little creativity
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

At Chinese food restaurants, I get the shrimp and broccoli or the beef and broccoli without rice.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #36
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Do the best you can, eating fast food here and there won't hurt you. Be prepared with the best choices by looking online or asking for nutritional info so you can choose your best option.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddailey320 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one that does this. My favorite though is to take the Joseph's LowCarb Tortillas if I'm going out and about...I find they fold up so nicely into a little triangle and I can stuff them in a snack size baggie. Perfect wrap no matter where you are at!
Great minds and all that!! I find the tortillas a little too chewy for me, dunno why! lol! Although I did make killer cheese enchiladas Christmas Eve with them .. the sauce softened them up!

Having a pita in my purse .. and so being able to pick any sandwich at all anywhere really gives me a sense of security, lol! Some days i just am not in the mood for a fast food salad! lol!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
Suprisingly, McDonalds will generally let you order "a la carte". (although using the term "a la carte" and McDonalds in the same sentence just seems wrong).

You can order scrambled eggs and 2-3 sausage patties. It's often really cheap.
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
I'm surprised no one has mentioned BBQ. Rudy's BBQ has saved my tail once or twice while out n about during lunch time.

1/2lb of brisket please! No sauce!
1/2 a roasted chicken please!

Maybe its just a Texas thing? Surely you people have BBQ Places?
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned BBQ. Rudy's BBQ has saved my tail once or twice while out n about during lunch time.

Susan just like Texas is famous for there BBQ, NC Has some great places too. It has become one of my staples during LC. My DH even makes it
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChunkyChicken
Hey, sometimes you have to do what you have to do! I would much rather eat at a fast food place when I am hungry than to wait until I could eat "real" food and be so hungry I overeat.
I like Carl Jrs, Wendys and even Burger King. I never get tired of burgers, so a bunless will almost always satisfy me.
ChunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PoWdA
Stats: 244/210/159
Start Date: November 8, 2010
Great advice in this thread!
PoWdA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #43
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:

Now I'm hankering for some brisket!Yum!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Or ribs!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
Start Date: 10/1/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
Thumbs down on Hardee's, IMHO. The low-carb breakfast bowl was lousy. Maybe it was the way they cooked it, I don't know. It tasted bad.
We have different taste buds because I love the Hardee's LC Breakfast Bowl and have it often!

Another place that's good: Pepperjax Grill. You can get a steak or chicken salad loaded with mushrooms, peppers, cheese, etc., it's very filling.
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
We eat out a lot, so I've become really good at finding lower-carb options at restaurants. The only one I thought I'd have trouble with was a Pho noodle shop, but even there they were willing to serve the soup without noodles, and with more bean sprouts. Yum!

I'm a champ at "peeling" sandwiches and burgers and just eating the "guts", or ordering various sides and appetizers, or "skinning" pizza. I can usually even gather a passable meal from a 7-Eleven, if I absolutely have to (V-8 juice, hard boiled eggs w/mayo, sandwich guts, beef jerky, or nuts)
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: batwing
Stats: 239/231/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/2/2014
Quote:

Around here we go to City Barbeque- all the meats are smoked and you add the sauce yourself. Plus they have LC friendly side dishes like greens, vinegar slaw, and green beans with pork in them.

This morning I was in a hurry and I needed something to eat. I stopped at Burger King thinking I'd get a sandwich without a bun as a last resort, but I asked if they could make their new breakfast bowl without potatoes. They sure can, and it's tasty! They don't have the customizable dish on the main BK page, but I found the potato information on the nutrition PDF, and if you subtract the southwest potatoes from the bowl, it clocks in at 5g total carbs.

Bear in mind that you should conduct yourself in life as at a feast. -Epictetus

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people.
-Orson Welles
batwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Debbieto
Stats: See Siggy
Start Date: August 8, 2003
I am partial to wendys and depending on how hungry I am get the single, double or triple without the bun, I leave on the lettuce, tomato and sometimes the onion. Add a caesar side salad and a bottle of water- Yum!
Debbieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PoWdA
Stats: 244/210/159
Start Date: November 8, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
We eat out a lot, so I've become really good at finding lower-carb options at restaurants. The only one I thought I'd have trouble with was a Pho noodle shop, but even there they were willing to serve the soup without noodles, and with more bean sprouts. Yum!
I have this same issue!

I have started ordering the combination rice plate. It is like a combination noodle bowl only instead of noodles it has rice, no broth (yeah I know, but it is still GREAT), and a ton of meat and sprouts! I do worry about the meat being marinaded but it hasn't taken me out of ketosis in 3 tries so I think I am good!
PoWdA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
When I do fast food. I go for KFC's grilled chicken. Its high in sodium though, as most restaurant foods are, so I can always expect to retain some water weight for a few days. Thats why I only do it as a last resort. That water weight takes forever to go away. Occasionally, I've bought burgers and tossed the bun, but if I have to do fast food, I much prefer to get the grilled chicken. Chick Fil A also has a nice grilled chicken salad. Best fast food salad IMO. I don't get it because I like high fat so I prefer to go for the grilled chicken with the skin on it.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 196 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWdA View Post
Yeah yeah I know, fast food is terrible, bad for you, etc...

The truth is that we are not all able to cook 3 meals a day at home and often times the only place to eat is out. I am a father of a 2 1/2 year old son. I work full time in the city and my girlfriend is in school full time. I am also in school part time and am very active in my martial arts. Needless to say I have a VERY busy schedule.

I generally make dinner and when I can I make breakfast. The problem I have is with lunch. the purpose of this thread is to have people post good low carb options at well known fast food places. This ranges from McDonalds to Chipotle. Basically, I am having no problem staying on this diet but it would help to have a few "safety valve" foods I can get on the go.

I also had a few questions about foods that I have had at fast food places that I think are LC but I am not sure how LC they really are.

I understand that fast food is not a good first choice but when I work a 9-5 in the city I don't always have the option of a the perfect LC food. I said it once and I will say it again, sometimes eating out is the only option.

I hope to see some good and creative choices in this thread!
I personally love the Wendys doublestack . I zip through on my way to work and grab a few plain...peel off the bun and munch away!! I actually lose weight when I eat these...sometimes I bring them home and heat them up with a poached egg over it . Yum!!

Kfc double down is good, I usually hold the sauce. I often order an italian hoagie when my friends get pizza joint...ask for extra lettuce, and when it comes put the inside in a bowl. Sometimes I cut it up , sometimes I hold it like a real hoagie..love this .

I like the 1/3 lb mush swiss at Mcd's just like the flavor, and they say it is pure beef. If chinese is on the menu, I ask for steamed meat and brocc w/ sauce on the side no starch. I dip in the sauce and usually do ok ...

sometimes I get a side salad..I find the ranch has the lowest carbs acrooss the board.

I always have a couple hard boiled eggs in my pocket, and crystal light packs.. I have had people give me funny looks, but if they ask I usually tell them I have a food allergy, or even diabetic.. Thats right, I'll lie to strangers to keep on track!!

Have a good day, Lizzie

Last edited by easwann; 01-04-2011 at 11:51 AM..
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lindo69
Decent LC Fast Food Breakfast

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, but I seldom have time to cook in the morning. The Burger King Breakfast Burrito - Sausage, Egg, Cheese & Salsa has 290 calories & 21 carbs. Not recommended, obviously, if you are trying to limit yourself to 20 carbs a day, but it's doable if you stick to 40 carbs a day. Subway flatbread breakfast sandwiches are also pretty decent with between 21 and 23 carbs.
lindo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tundra
Around here Hardee's will make any of their sandwiches Low carb, with out the bun.

Also, you should research the ingredients in any fast food foods. When we were traveling, I thought a low carb breakfast bowl from Hardee's would be great for my son who is diabetic. It caused his blood sugar to spike. Later I found out that the meats have added sugars and other stuff.

I do agree that most places will work with you if you special order something.
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I make an egg casserole with meat, veg (onion, mushrooms), and cheese, then cover it with eggs. Bake 30 minutes at 350. I eat this on days I go into the city to work, and don't have time to cook breakfast. Easy and low carb.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote