Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pzins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart Dec 2010
How do you stay motivated?

There are internal and external motivators. What type of external motivators help you? Besides the scale.

I am talking about things like motivating TV shows, tapes videos, books, signs or posters in the house, mirrors (or lack of them)...
pzins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Good Morning..

I can't and no longer count on "motivation".. it's not something that hangs around. For me I need plans for saving my arse when I start to faulter. (is that spelled right?)..

I have a page of notes I keep in my computer that I change every once in a while and print out and keep in my purse.. they are personal, motivational and also sad reminders of WHY I am doing this.. I read them when I need them. This is something I have started lately.

I think motivation always leaves us.. well at least most of us and having a plan helps. I am going to be making a tape recording for myself too and a scrap book with pix and thoughts and things that keep me focused. I've already started collecting for it. It will be a FUN project!

I am also going to finally follow thru with a few rewards along the way! It seemed like I would always find an excuse (I was down over 50#) to hold off on them when the time came (every 10#).. and not do them. Of course it was always about the money but I think that sent a message to my consciousness that secretly I thought I was not worth it.

Basically I guess I just won't rely on motivation alone! Oh and I need to post here more often.. I kept falling away when I would not be doing well, like I felt I was not worthy of posting here unless I was doing great and could encourage others.. I have not always been good at asking for help.. I think that's important too!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
I have my signature taped on my bathroom mirror. I see it first thing in the morning, all during the day and it's the last thing I see at night.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Motivation is no longer something I need to eat in a way that I love and loves me.The idea of eating higher carb foods no longer appeals to me. I would say that I came to this after reading GC/BC.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GBTINYBM
Stats: 237/184.4/175 5'6"
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7/12/2010
I had someone tell me yesterday that I was an inspiration, not just for losing weight but for eating right and exercising. Being an example to others is a motivator for me.
GBTINYBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBTINYBM View Post
I had someone tell me yesterday that I was an inspiration, not just for losing weight but for eating right and exercising. Being an example to others is a motivator for me.
Right on!
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Just being fat is motivation enough for me. And this site!
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
My Vision Board right above my computer!

Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Visualization is a HUGE motivator for me. It makes our goals extrinsic, something we can almost "touch," if you will. It’s helpful for me to place pics of me at goal weight in obvious places that I will see each morning. Or another visual, getting dressed in the morning and wanting to be able to wear with confidence my smallest size clothes.

EXACTLY, LINDA. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Another big one is compliments from others.

Last but not least, it's the quest for fitness and feeling good and health and longevity -- doing something good for myself, all worthy of my commitment to staying motivated and exercising self-discipline.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 01-03-2011 at 08:02 AM..
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Beeb!

That's awesome.

Here is a collage I made a few years ago:

It's not a great "artist" collage like I have seen lately but it says allot I think.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Beeb!

That's awesome.

It's not a great "artist" collage like I have seen lately but it says allot I think.
What a great "VISION BOARD", Daisy!! I especially love the "frisky husband" part!

Your collage is BETTER than anything a "great artist" would ever think up! It's the perfect way of remembering and getting the things you want in life.

Remember: Thoughts become things so make those thoughts good ones!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Visualization is a HUGE motivator for me. It makes our goals extrinsic, something we can almost "touch," if you will. It’s helpful for me to place pics of me at goal weight in obvious places that I will see each morning. Or another visual, getting dressed in the morning and wanting to be able to wear with confidence my smallest size clothes.

EXACTLY, LINDA. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Another big one is compliments from others.

Last but not least, it's the quest for fitness and feeling good and health and longevity -- doing something good for myself, all worthy of my commitment to staying motivated and exercising self-discipline.
I also like to do visualization. I have a pic of myself at current weight where my butt looks so big I think I could moon Europe and another one of me years ago when I was almost skinny (5'9" 125). I put them on my fridge and it really deters me from grazing.

I also kept a pair of jeans that I wore when I was skinny (now about 20 years ago) and was trying to think of a way to display them without being really tacky and using refrigerator clips. Ideas?

Last edited by pzins; 01-03-2011 at 08:37 AM..
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Musa
Stats: 145.6/131.6/100
Start Date: 12/20/2010
My motivation is that I can get more done if I am not sick (or hangover, that is why I don't drink anymore, or eat bad carbs).

My mind is not in a fog, and I can be better at work or school

I feel better

my skin is more clear

I dont spend hours obsessing over food (so I can obsess over getting my house cleaner, or just shopping or being with friends)

my clothes feel better

and the ladies at my place of work (they are super nice, thanks God!) keep asking me what am I doing to look so happy... so compliments work too.
Musa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
It may sound silly, but I looooooove changing the stats on my profile and in my signature. I get so excited !!!

It doesn't hurt either when Cutie-Pie gives me a hug, tells me "I CAN FEEL YOUR RIBS !!!", then gives me a HUGE bear hug and tells me how proud he is of me. How's THAT for motivation ?
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarberLisa
Stats: 188.6/186.6/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 14, 2011
I like to reread fitness magazines. I have a whole bin full of magazines. I've probably looked at three this morning.

I also like to google up pictures of celebrities or models that I find inspiring. Looking at how in shape they look, and then I compare it in my mind to the starting pictures I took def keeps me motivated to stay on track. Granted, I'm restarting and on only day 5 but I haven't gotten off track yet.
LowCarberLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: his_cinderella
Stats: 223.0/223.0/140
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzins View Post
I also like to do visualization. I have a pic of myself at current weight where my butt looks so big I think I could moon Europe and another one of me years ago when I was almost skinny (5'9" 125). I put them on my fridge and it really deters me from grazing.

I also kept a pair of jeans that I wore when I was skinny (now about 20 years ago) and was trying to think of a way to display them without being really tacky and using refrigerator clips. Ideas?
Take a pic of them and post it on your fridge...probably won't fall off the fridge like the actual jeans would everytime the door opened and closed
his_cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
What a great "VISION BOARD", Daisy!! I especially love the "frisky husband" part!

Your collage is BETTER than anything a "great artist" would ever think up! It's the perfect way of remembering and getting the things you want in life.

Remember: Thoughts become things so make those thoughts good ones!!
Thank you Beeb!
It was very fun to do and every time I re-read it I feel happy.

and yes.. Thoughts are fundamental things and we become what we believe.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TulsaBelle
Stats: 363/343/1st goal 338
WOE: No sugar, flour, starchy veggies
Start Date: 12/30/10
I am a baby here, but not a baby to general dieting or low carb eating. This sounds terrible, but one of the things I do to keep myself on track is go over to obesityhelp.org and read the "failed weight loss surgery" forum.

Fat as I am, WLS seems like the only option, but I also know that people like me (addicts) generally regain the weight. So seeing that WLS isn't an option kind of scares me.

Here's the thing that's doing it for me right now, because it directly addresses where I am w/having regained all of the weight I lost five years ago:

"Drastic times call for drastic measures. Sure, it was a long slow evolution to where you are now, but the reality is … you’re losing your ability to WALK! That’s giving up all kinds of personal freedoms. You’d be imprisoned, forever. That’s about as dramatic as it gets! While it may not feel that dramatic to you, if you keep going this way, you will wake up one day and the last step you ever took … is behind you. You’ll never walk again."

That's from DJFoodie and I keep reading it and reading it. It's easy to lose motivation and will, especially as I start feeling better (and just a few days cutting out sugar, starchies, and grains makes me feel 500% better). Ever vigilant, that's my plan.
TulsaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzins View Post
There are internal and external motivators. What type of external motivators help you? Besides the scale.

I am talking about things like motivating TV shows, tapes videos, books, signs or posters in the house, mirrors (or lack of them)...
Hi pzins…

Don't really need motivators. I do this because it's the only way I can eat and not gain weight.

Since I made up my mind in Aug 2008 that I have to eat low carb, it's just what I do. I kept the plan simple…30 net carbs a day & I subtract everything - all fiber & sugar alcohol.

I don't worry about portion size, or calories, or tracking anything other than keeping a running tally of carbs for the day.

I never discuss my weight with others outside this group or my wife, and I don't ever mention low carb unless it's unavoidable. I weigh when visiting the doctor's office (couple times a year maybe).

If there is a gratifying part it's that it's easier to shop when your clothes don't have to have Goodyear on the label.

I figure if I have to depend on motivators I'll have to carry them with me everywhere, which is far too much work...so just doing this because it's the choice I made has been good enough for me.

I really enjoy the food, and the reason I stick to this is because I keep a wide variety of low carb foods around (thanks to an understanding and supportive wife who does not eat low carb).

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
People who notice and comment on my weight loss motivate me.

Buying smaller clothes is motivation

Comparing pictures of myself now vs. myself 6 mons ago helps to pep me up!

Reading books that support and re-affirm this WOE (like Gary Taubes GCBC)

This website!!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
Right now my kids are motivating me. See I started low carb due to my depression and recently I got off plan and almost immediately turned into an angry, moody, crazy person and it scared not only my kids but my dd's friend as well. If I even think about putting junky carbs in my mouth I remember what I was like not so long ago and that is enough to stop me.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yellarose
Stats: 252/252/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 8/29/2012
I have lots of different types of motivations.

I want to look hot.

I want to feel great.

I want to set an example of healthful living for my child.

And...er...my divorce hearing is in a few months and I want to make my ex feel like total sh*t.
yellarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellarose View Post
I have lots of different types of motivations.

I want to look hot.

I want to feel great.

I want to set an example of healthful living for my child.

And...er...my divorce hearing is in a few months and I want to make my ex feel like total sh*t.
Lemme tell you... Option "D" ROCKS !!!

I ran into my ex after losing about 45 lbs last year (prior to RE-gaining close to 20 lbs of that back). I was 10 lbs heavier than I am now. I'd gotten highlights and a SERIOUS tan. (He'd NEVER seen me look like that.) I was also in a well-fitting t-shirt, shorts, and wedge sandals. We hadn't seen each other in 9 years. (I was dreading this day, not knowing how I would react.) His jaw hit the floor and he looked me up and down. What did *I* do ? (This next part was SOOOO unlike me.) I snorted in derision, gave him a go-to-you-know-where look, and walked away chuckling to myself. Childish of me ? Probably. However, it was VERY empowering ! (I was a doormat at one time. He was a control freak and other things that had happened was sending up red flags to the counselor. When my ex walked out [another "power" thing he'd done many times before] that last time, I didn't let him walk back in. Didn't even ask him to come back. LOL) Thankfully, I've lost more since seeing him last. If I'm lucky, I won't run into him again. If I do, I want a repeat of last year. LOL Yep. I'm terrible. I admit it freely.

Apologies for the thread jack. Just giving a personal example that proves the best revenge definitely *IS* to live well.
Vanity Goal: 128 lbs and Ready for Bikini Weather next summer
Old 01-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Beeb!

That's awesome.

I love this. It is beautiful and so meaningful if you take the time to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi pzins…

Don't really need motivators. I do this because it's the only way I can eat and not gain weight.

Since I made up my mind in Aug 2008 that I have to eat low carb, it's just what I do. I kept the plan simple…30 net carbs a day & I subtract everything - all fiber & sugar alcohol.

I don't worry about portion size, or calories, or tracking anything other than keeping a running tally of carbs for the day.

I never discuss my weight with others outside this group or my wife, and I don't ever mention low carb unless it's unavoidable. I weigh when visiting the doctor's office (couple times a year maybe).

If there is a gratifying part it's that it's easier to shop when your clothes don't have to have Goodyear on the label.

I figure if I have to depend on motivators I'll have to carry them with me everywhere, which is far too much work...so just doing this because it's the choice I made has been good enough for me.

I really enjoy the food, and the reason I stick to this is because I keep a wide variety of low carb foods around (thanks to an understanding and supportive wife who does not eat low carb).

This is very motivating because you are doing this for all of the right reasons.... not for others... just because it works for you.

Thanks for sharing these ideas. I think lots of people will find them inspiring.
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarblesLongGone
Stats: 273/214/188 6'0"
WOE: Grain-free, sugar-free, real foods
Start Date: 2010 (I have years of weight data recorded)
Well, keeping my blood sugar rock stable keeps my migraines in check.
Keeping on a grain free diet keeps my Menieres disease in check.
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
My DH being a diabetic is motivation for me. Since I needed to lose weight and so did he, this a good start for the way we will have to continue to eat. Losing weight motivates him to stay on it and seeing his blood sugar normal once again, and no insulin, is motivation for me to eat this way. I know he realizes this is the way we will eat from now on. This is no diet to just lose weight for us.
Andddddddd....the idiots who dreamed up my bedroom design with two huge closets with sliding mirror doors.....getting dressed in front of those every morning will wake you up and motivate you.

I made Goal on 6-12-11
New Goal....... 120
DH: 230/187/180
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveH View Post
Andddddddd....the idiots who dreamed up my bedroom design with two huge closets with sliding mirror doors.....getting dressed in front of those every morning will wake you up and motivate you.

I knoooooow the feeling !

Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Most mirrors scare me... and I am not talking about the kind you find in the "fun house" at the carnival!!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #29
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
My health is a big motivator for me.

I'm a caretaker and wasn't able to keep up with my duties basically because I was eating myself to death with diabetes and debilitating migraines among other health problems. My health has completely turned around, only and ONLY from what I choose to eat and you know what, the food is way better and satisfying, I'm so fortunate I was able to get my health back, many aren't so lucky.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiflip
Stats: 228/147/175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBTINYBM View Post
this is how I am as well
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote