LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RGRgoddess
Stats: 245/224.8/165
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: Restart 07/25/2011
Wine.......

Give me the low down, Is there ANYONE like me that loves wine at night.... Like every night??? So how bad is it with to LC'ing, any pointers tip's trick's ???
I've got my eating down (besides the sugar free pudding I had an ah ha moment and remembered milk has carbs DUH) but the wine ohhhh my wonderful wine Please Help

Thanks
Michelle
RGRgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Some people think alcohol per se is problematic, but personally I think it's all just calories and carbs like anything else. The question is how much you drink and how much you can afford, given your own metabolism.

People inevitably bring up "when your body is burning alcohol it's not burning fat," but while true, this is sort of silly in my book. You aren't burning fat when you are burning protein either, but you still eat it. As long as you are burning something other than your own PERSONAL fat, and as long as you are staying in ketosis to keep the fat burning and cravings down, what difference does it make?

Of course the unique problem with alcohol is that it loosens our resolve to eat well and can lead to making bad choices for that reason.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justice
Stats: 202/180/135
WOE: Atkins influenced whole foods
I am fine drinking a glass or two most nights. I think this actually helps me stay on plan. It is the ritual of sitting down to a nice dinner paired with yummy wine or having a glass while cooking. I get into trouble past two though, I start feeling munchy.

Lately, I've been trying herbal tea after dinner a few nights a week. This gives the same feeling of ritual without the added calories and carbs.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Alcohol drives blood sugar haywire. I always crave carbs like crazy afterwards.
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I think quantity matters too. One glass seems to have no effect, but if I indulge more...there will be a rebound effect in a day or two. I generally restrict myself to weekends or special occasions only, as I want to be in losing mode and well, when I drink I usually want more than one glass!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
It really depends on the person and how it effects you. It actually helped me -- drinking a glass a night made me less likely to snack or over-eat at dinner. (It's off the menu for now, I'm pregnant!)
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melanija
Stats: 177/171/127 5"2'
WOE: Atkins/intuitive/other
Start Date: October 28, 2010
I can't do wine every night and lose weight. I limit it to once every couple of weeks or so.

I make my SF pudding with 1/2 half-n-half and 1/2 water in place of the milk......still YUMMY & can't tell the difference at all!
melanija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
WOE: Weight Watchers online
Start Date: September 12 2014
I thought wine kicked ya out of ketosis?
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Fizgig
Stats: 5'7", 148/128/130
WOE: Pre-maintenance, kind of
Start Date: Pretty much forever
I have 3-4 glasses a week and it doesn't trouble me any.
Fizgig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Debbieto
Stats: See Siggy
Start Date: August 8, 2003
I have a 3-4 glasses a week and so far it hasn't tripped me up much. I will say that I am losing more slowly this go around than I had previously. I am unsure if that is due to the wine, or just me. I think it is a personal choice though. If it is slowing me down, right now I am fine with that. Everyone is different though. Some folks mentioned getting the munchies and carb cravings. I have not experienced that while drinking or afterwards. I do try to drink a lot of water though when I am drinking wine to counteract any dehydration.

Restart 11/7/10
243.6/226.4/120

1st Mini Goal: 220
2nd Mini Goal: 199 (onederland)
Debbieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
I drink a glass of red wine every night (7 ounces ... I weigh it). And I lose 2-3 pounds a week. Of course I am VLC so the few carbs from wine still allows me to stay 10 grams net carbs a day.

Very occasionally I'll have some MG64 beer when I have to have beer with my buffalo wings. Fortunately MG64 doesn't taste very good so I rarely have more than a couple

So I think it depends a lot on how your body responds to carbs and how close you are to the in ketosis / out of ketosis line.
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
I drink a glass of red wine every night (7 ounces ... I weigh it). And I lose 2-3 pounds a week. Of course I am VLC so the few carbs from wine still allows me to stay 10 grams net carbs a day.

Very occasionally I'll have some MG64 beer when I have to have beer with my buffalo wings. Fortunately MG64 doesn't taste very good so I rarely have more than a couple

So I think it depends a lot on how your body responds to carbs and how close you are to the in ketosis / out of ketosis line.
Have you tried the Bud Select 55 ? It's super good and doesn't taste watered down
Thank you for all the wine comments I guess everyone is different Im going to watch it a little closer, Maybe try tea at night

Michelle
Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trigger
Stats: 177/164.5/140
WOE: Low carb, high fat
Start Date: Restart 11-1-10
Wine is my life (literally, my family is in the wine industry!), so I can't get away from it! Plus I just love it. I average 2 glasses of wine 5 days a week. I'm losing slowly, but I am losing!

Like others, I've noticed that having wine actually helps keep me on track. I've never had much of a sweet tooth (chocolate, for instance, just doesn't appeal to me), but I've noticed that when I cut out wine for several days in a row, I start to crave chocolate and other sweets! My husband always keeps chocolate ice cream and See's candies in the house, and the only time they call to me is when I've cut out the wine! Otherwise, I can walk right by them--even sit right next to him while he's indulging-- with impunity! And believe me, the stalls and setbacks I experience from diving into a box of See's candies are much worse than the slow (but still steady) weight loss caused by my regular intake of wine-- and partly because the former sets off a chain reaction! Once I've blown it on candy, I figure the day is a loss, I get depressed, and I head straight for my carby comfort foods like sourdough toast or pizza next. Hello, downward spiral!

I've learned it takes me an average of 2 days after a binge like that to get back to really clean eating (my feeling that I've blown it usually carries over another day, and then the second day I half-heartedly go back to LC), and an average of 5 days after that to lose the weight caused by the binge! SO not worth it! Waay better to indulge in wine! I don't like sweet wines, so for me, wine generally does not cause cravings (except for more wine, when it's really good!). And 2 glasses with food makes me feel satiated, so I actually eat less food. For me, wine is a food-- one to be sipped and savored!

The hubby (who does not eat LC) and I have a routine now most nights of the week-- he has his beer and I have my first glass of wine whilst cooking, and then when we sit down to dinner I pour my second glass plus a tall glass of water. I concentrate on the water while eating, with just a few sips of wine, and then I have the rest of my wine in front of the TV while he has a big bowl of ice cream for dessert! When I am savoring a goblet of earthy pinot noir or velvety cabernet, I couldn't care less that he is sitting next to me with a bowl of ice cream (or any carb, for that matter!).

In essence, I've adopted Ernest Hemingway's motto: "Any man [woman] who eats [craves] dessert is not drinking enough!"

A hidden bonus for me in having wine while LC'ing is that the alcohol seems to affect me more when I am eating LC, so I start to feel buzzed earlier and consequently drink less = ergo, less calories! When I was eating carbs, I could have most or all of a bottle before I'd feel any effect that would tell me to stop.

(Disclaimer: about two nights a week I just frankly don't feel like wine, and then I have SodaStream diet soda in place of wine with dinner and for dessert. The rest of the time I don't really drink soda, but usually when I don't feel like wine, diet soda is what is calling to me.)

Last edited by Trigger; 12-22-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Wine is my life (literally, my family is in the wine industry!), so I can't get away from it! Plus I just love it. I average 2 glasses of wine 5 days a week. I'm losing slowly, but I am losing!

Like others, I've noticed that having wine actually helps keep me on track. I've never had much of a sweet tooth (chocolate, for instance, just doesn't appeal to me), but I've noticed that when I cut out wine for several days in a row, I start to crave chocolate and other sweets! My husband always keeps chocolate ice cream and See's candies in the house, and the only time they call to me is when I've cut out the wine! Otherwise, I can walk right by them--even sit right next to him while he's indulging-- with impunity! And believe me, the stalls and setbacks I experience from diving into a box of See's candies are much worse than the slow (but still steady) weight loss caused by my regular intake of wine-- and partly because the former sets off a chain reaction! Once I've blown it on candy, I figure the day is a loss, I get depressed, and I head straight for my carby comfort foods like sourdough toast or pizza next. Hello, downward spiral!

I've learned it takes me an average of 2 days after a binge like that to get back to really clean eating (my feeling that I've blown it usually carries over another day, and then the second day I half-heartedly go back to LC), and an average of 5 days after that to lose the weight caused by the binge! SO not worth it! Waay better to indulge in wine! I don't like sweet wines, so for me, wine generally does not cause cravings (except for more wine, when it's really good!). And 2 glasses with food makes me feel satiated, so I actually eat less food. For me, wine is a food-- one to be sipped and savored!

The hubby (who does not eat LC) and I have a routine now most nights of the week-- he has his beer and I have my first glass of wine whilst cooking, and then when we sit down to dinner I pour my second glass plus a tall glass of water. I concentrate on the water while eating, with just a few sips of wine, and then I have the rest of my wine in front of the TV while he has a big bowl of ice cream for dessert! When I am savoring a goblet of earthy pinot noir or velvety cabernet, I couldn't care less that he is sitting next to me with a bowl of ice cream (or any carb, for that matter!).

In essence, I've adopted Ernest Hemingway's motto: "Any man [woman] who eats [craves] dessert is not drinking enough!"

A hidden bonus for me in having wine while LC'ing is that the alcohol seems to affect me more when I am eating LC, so I start to feel buzzed earlier and consequently drink less = ergo, less calories! When I was eating carbs, I could have most or all of a bottle before I'd feel any effect that would tell me to stop.

(Disclaimer: about two nights a week I just frankly don't feel like wine, and then I have SodaStream diet soda in place of wine with dinner and for dessert. The rest of the time I don't really drink soda, but usually when I don't feel like wine, diet soda is what is calling to me.)
I LOVE that you wrote this you sound exactly like me I am ""Trying"" to cut back but it's been ruff But I wanted to say thank you for this
Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRgoddess View Post
Give me the low down, Is there ANYONE like .... Like every night???
I make my own wine

and drink
merlot

every night

Deb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I think alcohol, in whatever form, has a healthy place in the WOE of people who enjoy it. One may have to accept slower fat losses for its enjoyment, but so bit it, if it helps you enjoy your life better.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRgoddess View Post
Have you tried the Bud Select 55 ? It's super good and doesn't taste watered down
Thank you for all the wine comments I guess everyone is different Im going to watch it a little closer, Maybe try tea at night

Michelle
Thanks for the suggestion Michelle ... I'll give it a try to see if I like it. Of course, here's hoping I don't like it too much
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #18

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy-FL View Post
Alcohol drives blood sugar haywire. I always crave carbs like crazy afterwards.
It decreases blood sugar and levels out insulin levels. it should have just the opposite result. I wonder why this bothers you? I guess it's just another example of how each person is different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina View Post
I thought wine kicked ya out of ketosis?
in a trivial way, though... not like carbs do. the result is just like eating a bit more fat or anything else, as far as I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Like others, I've noticed that having wine actually helps keep me on track. I've never had much of a sweet tooth (chocolate, for instance, just doesn't appeal to me), but I've noticed that when I cut out wine for several days in a row, I start to crave chocolate and other sweets! My husband always keeps chocolate ice cream and See's candies in the house, and the only time they call to me is when I've cut out the wine! Otherwise, I can walk right by them--even sit right next to him while he's indulging-- with impunity!
Yes, I've always been aware of the supposed "inverse relationship" of sugar and alcohol. It's a truism that alcoholics rarely eat sweets.

I don't have trouble sticking to a low carb woe either way, but I think people are way too skittish about wine.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
It decreases blood sugar and levels out insulin levels...
I'm going by what I pulled from WebMD: "While moderate amounts of alcohol can cause blood sugar to rise, excess alcohol can actually decrease your blood sugar level -- sometimes causing it to drop into dangerous levels."

Two possible contributors: I rarely drink and I suspect I'm pre-diabetic.

I'd think the alcohol-sweets link was more due to dopamine. But then again I'm not really qualified to guess.

Last edited by Joy-FL; 12-23-2010 at 06:42 PM..
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Count me in too - I love my wine and have not given it up. Of course I'm in "maintenance" although a little above where I want to be weight-wise. However, like another poster, it keeps me from eating sweets and I DO love them still. But wine is a treat to me - so I am able to have that treat and not indulge in things I shouldn't eat.
cabrioluvr is online now   Reply With Quote