Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thisisrightnow
Stats: 240/178.6/150, 5'6", 28
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 5/10/07 (generic LC/SB), 7/19/09 (Atkins)
Carbquick

what's everyone's experience with carbquick? Does it taste good? Can you still lose weight or maintain using Carbquick, or does it cause you to gain? I'm thinking about going to pick some up today.
thisisrightnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
I just tried to make pancakes with it last weekend. My experience was not good. I added vanilla and liquid sucralose, but it STILL tasted like raw flour. I want to try to make sausage balls, but I'm afraid of wasting all of that sausage and cheese if it doesn't turn out right.
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
The trick with Carbquik that Jennifer Eloff passed on to us is it needs to be mixed with a LC bake mix of some kind to help it along some.

I too find the taste too "raw" when it's alone but mixed half and half with a LC bake mix it's great. I really do like the product and keep it in the freezer where it lasts forever! Take it out to warm up before using in a recipe and I've had great luck with it!

Here is Jen's LC bake mix recipe so maybe you can try that next time. Also, you can use any LC bake mix you like, not just this one.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ng-season.html

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think it's useless. Far better to use other stuff. If you have to jump through hoops to cover up the horrible taste, that should be a clue. I think many recipes are just attempts to use up an expensive box someone bought.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I really really didn't like the taste.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mopsysmom
Carbquik doesn't rise much

My experience with Carbquik is that you have to add leavening to it. My biscuits were flat until I "doctored" them. I also found it is better to mix the Carbquik w/ either reg. flour (if you can "afford" the carbs) or with Bob's Red Mill Low-Carb Flour (which I much prefer). I will not be ordering any more Carbquik although I did just now order some straight Carbalose flour that I intend to experiment with as an alternative to the "mix" (that wasn't).
mopsysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
Wow, I have had the opposite experience. I think it's GREAT. For me, the things I make taste just like things made with Bisquik. I use it mostly for waffles. Tonight we had it in meatloaf. We also make biscuits now and then. The brownies are perfect, if you use erythritol. For me, this stuff seems almost too good to be true. If I miss a cake-y food, I'll have a waffle with Walden farms syrup, butter, and whipped cream.

It hasn't caused me to gain weight, but I don't use much.

Judging from other reviews, I think that some people's taste buds don't like it and for others it's fine. It's worth a try.

Brownies

3/4 stick butter

4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate

1.5 cups Erythritol (powdered or ground in food processor)

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 whole eggs

1 egg yolk

3/4 cup Carbquik

3/4 cup walnut, chopped

Brownie: -Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease bottom and sides of square pan, 9x9x2 inches.

-Melt butter and chocolate in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.

-Cool slightly and add Splenda to chocolate and blend well till smooth.

-Beat vanilla and eggs in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed 5 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture on low speed.

-Beat in carbquik just until blended. Stir in walnuts. Spread in pan.

-Bake 15 to 20 minutes or just until brownies spring back in the middle and begin to pull away from sides of pan.

-Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Spread with Chocolate Frosting. Cut into 4 rows by 4 rows
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: meeha
Stats: 258/258/when it feels right
WOE: My Way
Start Date: 1/09/2014
I like it (need to order some more). just did a search and found 2 stores in my area that sales it which is great b/c I hate ordering and waiting. One of the stores is called Lo Carb Diner (sounds interesting I must check it out)!

Last edited by meeha; 12-17-2010 at 10:06 AM..
meeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gr82bthin
Stats: 205/199/150
WOE: LC/ Atkins
Start Date: August 3, 2012
I tried several recipes with it and didn't care for the end product, except I made a pumpkin bread that was wonderful!!!

I won't buy it again, I think it's too expensive and my family isn't really a fan of pumpkin bread.
Gr82bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
Hmmm... Pumpkin bread... Would you mind PM-ing me the recipe that you used ? I loooooove pumpkin bread, but have avoided it like the plague this year.

Thank you !!!
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/8/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
It does make good sausage balls! I also make a low carb pumpkin scone with it that is good.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aromagal
Stats: 296/202.8/160
WOE: Less than 30 carbs
Start Date: July 09
Another vote FOR

I make chocolate chip muffins,
Scones - to eat with SF jam and whipped cream
biscuits with cheese and paprika in them

As a side note, I make the muffins and then freeze them. When I need an on-the-go snack/meal, it is a quick grab-and-go.

I've never had an issue with the flavor and I've lost 86 pounds to date. I don't eat Carbquick products every day, but a couple of times a week... for sure!
Aromagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Oh - will you post your recipe for chocolate chip muffins?
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
I never liked it. What I realized was, the nut flours are so much healthier for my plan. It was a mind shift for me though....I just came to the realization that these flours and baking mixes are just over processed foods and my body can't process them efficiently.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
My problem is that with any processed food item, at some point it will no longer be available and users will be left high and dry.

Look at ThickenThin. Why the heck discontinue that? Well, they did. After what, 20-30 years? Gone. Bye. See ya! And I still have some, but I'll run out eventually. (Thankfully, I know how to replace the stuff).

It just goes to show it's better to come up with your own versions of those convenience foods (or avoid them altogether), because at some point, every single one of them is going to disappear.

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I bought a box. Not saying I'll eat stuff every day that has Carbquick, but I made the pancakes today and it was a nice change from the salads and protein and what not. Can I survive without pancakes? Oh I'm sure of it, but it does make it easier to stay on plan. I also thought the pancakes were delicious. To me they tasted like the real thing; maybe not as fluffy.

Though I will say the recipes do seem a bit off. For the pancakes it was calling for 2 cups of Carbquick. The consistency was that needed to make the biscuits, so instead of trashing, I made the biscuits. Don't know if I'll eat them. I'm really not a fan of biscuits a whole lot. I was trying to think of how I could make it to be like "bread", something I can eat a sandwich on.. but I came up dry. So I tried cutting down the amount of Carbquick and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Carbquick seemed to be good for 3-4 pancakes.

I am also interested in seeing how the pizza would turn out, but I'm gonna wait on that til I can get some more cheese and pepperoni.

BMI before: 38.7
BMI now: 27.6
Old 12-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
I was trying to think of how I could make it to be like "bread", something I can eat a sandwich on.
I recommend oopsie rolls for that.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aromagal
Stats: 296/202.8/160
WOE: Less than 30 carbs
Start Date: July 09
Of course.

This recipe is not my own... I adjusted a basic recipe from someone else until I found what I liked.

Chocolate chip muffins
2 cups Carbquik (96g x 2)
1/2 cup Almond Flour (61g)
2/3 cup half and half
1/3 cup Splenda or 1/2 cup of Davinci SF vanilla syrup (I usually use the SF syrup... sometimes caramel even )
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 whole egg, beaten
chop a sugar free chocolate bar (+/- 70g - I use the SF bars from Trader Joe's and leave out one end row of squares)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 400ºF.
Place paper baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups, or
grease muffin pan well.
(For muffin top pan divide between 10 muffin cups - this is the pan with the "disc shaped muffins")
Stir all ingredients just until moistened.
Divide batter evenly among cups.
Bake 13 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.

If anything isn't clear - let me know. Oh and they freeze well!

Last edited by Aromagal; 12-18-2010 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: added one more thought
Aromagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Thanks, Aromagal!!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
I recommend oopsie rolls for that.
Yeah, I've had those and while they're good.. I can't eat too much cream cheese. If I recall the recipe requires cream cheese, right? Too much dairy and I can't lose weight. I try to not eat cream cheese if possible. Not to mention.. those take a little more time than I want to spend, especially on top of the other stuff I cook. Though I do think a better alternative for me is just doing an unwich type sandwich (think Jimmy John's lol) and just wrapping the meat and all the goodies in some lettuce. I loved the unwich from Jimmy John's. It was actually my inspiration to just buy the stuff and make it at home.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
I was trying to think of how I could make it to be like "bread", something I can eat a sandwich on..
oh, oh, oh....i know....THESE were one of the BEST recipes i found after going LC.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...pe-wanted.html
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
My easy bread thingy is a variation of the minute muffin.

1/3 c. golden flax meal
1/3 c. carbquick
1/2 t. baking powder
1 egg
1 T. oil or melted butter
1 T. cream

Mix all together and dump into a roll or bread shaped microwavable bowl. Cook on high about 1 1/2 - 2 min.

I can cut into 3 slices.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #23

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopsysmom View Post
My experience with Carbquik is that you have to add leavening to it. My biscuits were flat until I "doctored" them. I also found it is better to mix the Carbquik w/ either reg. flour (if you can "afford" the carbs) or with Bob's Red Mill Low-Carb Flour (which I much prefer). I will not be ordering any more Carbquik although I did just now order some straight Carbalose flour that I intend to experiment with as an alternative to the "mix" (that wasn't).
Just bear in mind that the carbalose has 19 grams of net carbs per whatever it is (honestly I forget) while carbquick has 3 or something like that. Apples and oranges unless you are mixing the carbalose in small quantities with flax or almond meal or something else really low carb.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alajane
Start Date: February 2010
Wow, Ravenrose--what a shock! I bought a bag of Carbalose back in the summer, then DH was in the hospital for a month, and I forgot about having it--I can't believe I bought it with the carb count being so high! But the serving for Carbalose is shown as approximately 1 cup and CarbQuick is 1/3 cup, so that helps a little bit--it's about 6 grams for the 1/3 C serving.

Anyway, I'm going to be one of the people who love CarbQuick. Just last night DH requested cheeseburger pie, which I make using the recipe from the Bisquick box, but sub CarbQuick and a cream/water blend instead of milk; we can't tell the difference. It's a whole family favorite.

I like the cheese biscuit recipe on the CarbQuick box, but they are a little flat--but taste yummy. And I haven't been thrilled with the pancakes; they want to fall apart when flipped, but I'm going to try the recipe someone mentioned on here over the Christmas holidays and see if I have better luck with that.

Jane
Alajane is offline   Reply With Quote