Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #121
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: killerblues
Stats: 162/148/140 5'9"
WOE: atkins (ish)
Start Date: a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
Good post! I totally agree! Size IS just a number.
But darn it I so focus on that number!!!
killerblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerblues View Post
But darn it I so focus on that number!!!
I know! It's hard not to!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
I'm 5'8", 188 as of this morning...I wear a 12 in some things...the dress I wore to my husband's party the other night was a roomy 12, and yet I have a whole mess of clothes in 14 that are very comfortable-fitting, and not too big (yet!).

I have narrow shoulders and a very small bust ( ), so that might be why I can sometimes wear a 12.
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #124
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinewoodmom843
Stats: 196/157/145
WOE: Natural/ LC/Low salt
Start Date: Feb 2010
5 ft 6inch 158 size 12 or 14 still. I am top heavy if you know what i mean!
pinewoodmom843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #125
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Now, we need a thread of what size we are getting rid of and what we could use to repurpose our clothes since we lost weight. (If there is one, let me know.)
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/294/287
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
Wow! Wow! and Wow!!! How about a big group high five and hugs all around? Have we done/doing a great job or what?
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmom View Post
I am 5'8", 169 and a medium frame and I wear a 14

I agree with the vanity sizing comment - it doesn't do anyone any favors. When I was at my slimmest which was 130lbs the smallest size I could fit into was a 6 and I was tiny, so when I hit a weight number above that and can fit into a size 6 I will be highly suspicious.
5' 1.5" and currently 173lbs in UK 14 bottom and UK 16 top.

Just to echo the points on vanity sizing - it really has got to a crazy situation which allows us to delude ourselves.

20 years ago, I was a UK size 10 top / size 12 bottom and weighed about 120lbs. Fast forward a couple of decades and, with still over 50 lbs to lose to get to 120, I'm apparently only 2 sizes larger ? It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

My original goal was to get back to the size 10/12 combo, but it's looking likely that I should revise that estimate down. It's simply nuts!

Last edited by clanger; 12-06-2010 at 11:58 PM..
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMan View Post
Wow! Wow! and Wow!!! How about a big group high five and hugs all around? Have we done/doing a great job or what?
I agree! Woohooo for everyone in this thread we are all doing a great job!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 AM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzins View Post
I see that you live in Copenhagen Denmark. They have a totally different standard over there for women's sizes don't they? They don't mind a few extra pounds right?
There is a somewhat different standard, yes. Women's sizes tend to be the same (though numbered differently) meaning that a 'normal shop' carries up to what would be a US 14 or 16, depending on the brand. However, there is not as much (in my opinion) judgement on women who are a little heavier than there is in the US. I grew up in the US (I moved here at 26) so I know first hand the amount of pressure that there is. Eating disorders, while still a problem here, are not nearly as rampant as they are in the US.

My husband has a cousin who has always had MORE than just a few extra pounds. She is around 20 now, but when she was in school, she was really popular, never got picked on for her weight, etc. I was shocked, because I was teased horribly, beaten up, had no friends, etc. because I was not thin enough.

There is also the occasional store which offers all its fashions in sizes up to 24 or so--no awful tent-like plus sizes-just the same, cool stuff in every size. To be fair, that brand is English, though, not Danish.

I don't feel as judged being overweight. But that does not mean that it is perfectly acceptable and mainstream. I have never had anyone (except a doctor) be rude to me because of it, and compared to the US, that is a HUGE difference!

One thing that shocked me when I first moved here is that when you go to the swimming pool or the gym, people do NOT hesitate to shower nude in a communal shower. No one makes ANY effort to hide their bodies at all. This was really shocking to me, who grew up practicing the 'get changed for gym class without revealing any skin' technique. As someone who was/is body shy it really bothered me! Then I took a moment and looked around. Women of ALL shapes and sizes did this--not just the thin ones! There were women who weighed twice my weight, and still stripped down and showered in front of everyone with confidence and no shame at all! That impressed me....And the best part is, nobody cares if you are thin, fat, short, tall, etc. No body is going to give you a second glance. I think that is pretty great.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #130
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I was shocked, because I was teased horribly, beaten up, had no friends, etc. because I was not thin enough. .
Wow, so sorry your childhood was like this.

All of my obesity I've experienced as an adult....I didn't realize how bad it was for kids.

Last edited by paulabob; 12-07-2010 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: typos, typos, typos!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Wow, so sorry your childhood was like this.

All of my obesity I've experienced as an adult....I didn't realize how bad it was for kids.
Yeah, it is very bad for kids. Girls and boys have it tough. I am over it now, tho (at least, I try to be! I can't say that it didn't shape my character, tho.)

I know I'm not alone, I remember hearing similar stories from many here who had it tough as kids.

It is really important, imho, that people/the media are starting to recognize the dangers of this sort of thing happening in schools. No matter what the reason behind social alienation, teasing, harassment, etc--it is a very serious problem in schools and when I was a kid, went mostly ignored. The sad thing is that a lot of kids have hurt themselves or worse, and that is what it took for the issue to get attention. Just the saddest thing.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pzins
Start Date: Restart Dec 2010
That is so cool that people there seem to have a more realistic view of body image. I think our society is really going the wrong way in many areas, including setting kids up to fail in school. Besides having terrible education (the US is now 23 in math and reading compared to other industrialized countries) we have created a body image standard that is totally unrealistic. Kids are getting plastic surgery! How sick is that? Maybe I will move to Denmark.
pzins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Madger
WOE: vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycitygirl View Post
*One wasn't mentioned, childbearing. My hips changed a lot after childbirth. I will never be in the same size as before.
This is interesting.

I have two kids and actually a smaller size now than before getting pregnant. It never affected my hips.

Last edited by Madger; 12-07-2010 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: typo
Madger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #134

Gallery: Kaimi2008
Stats: 198.8/176.6/155 (for now) 5'6"
WOE: Jenny Craig
Start Date: July 11, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinewoodmom843 View Post
5 ft 6 inch 158 size 12 or 14 still. I am top heavy if you know what i mean!
Yes, that would be ME.

No problem with hips, thighs, could add a little extra to my butt, tho.
Kaimi2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzins View Post
That is so cool that people there seem to have a more realistic view of body image. I think our society is really going the wrong way in many areas, including setting kids up to fail in school. Besides having terrible education (the US is now 23 in math and reading compared to other industrialized countries) we have created a body image standard that is totally unrealistic. Kids are getting plastic surgery! How sick is that? Maybe I will move to Denmark.
OMG KIDS getting plastic surgery!? Crap that is just so WRONG!

I think the US can learn a lot from other countries (and vice versa, too...). We have a lot of great things here. We have universal health care (and its great), 1 year maternity leave, lots of protection for employees, etc. There are so many benefits. But we pay more in taxes....(although we MAKE a lot more too, so it evens out).

One thing that impresses me about the education system here (besides the fact that college is FREE and you actually get a stipend to study!!) is how important foreign language is from an early age. Kids start with English in 3rd grade, and by 5th are also learning German, French, or another language (of course this is alongside Danish!).

In my school (normal American public school) we didn't start with a 2nd language until 9th grade...YIKES! I LOVED learning a 2nd language, and wish we had done it earlier. It is easier for younger children, because of brain development.

Anyhow, I don't want to dump on the US, because there are also great things about living there! But I do love living in Europe. I also love the better food quality, but that is another matter
Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madger View Post
This is interesting.

I have two kids and actually a smaller size now than before getting pregnant. It never affected my hips.
Although I don't think my hips got "considerably" bigger, I do think my ribcage is wider now...I'm gonna have to blame my second born for that one (always jammed up in there)!!! It's not my chest that's the problem, it seems to actually be my sternum! Anyone else??

Last edited by ddailey320; 12-07-2010 at 11:53 AM..
ddailey320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Yeah My first born stayed in my right ribs, I would go numb and have to push his butt down. I feel like it made mine bigger. Oh and he is 6'9
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Queenie324
Stats: 249.9/194/150 5'7
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 10/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman525 View Post
Girls, I'm close to you in height and weight and wear anywhere between an 18W and a regular 16 in pants size. I've quit buying pants in women's sizes b/c they are cut so big in the thighs and butt and that's not where I carry my weight. I carry mine in my waist and chest.

Wore 24W/2X at my largest and now can wear an XL or L in tops depending on the cut and the fabric.
I wear M to L tops now, no more XL. Guess I must be losing my tatas!

Almost time for clothes shopping again for jeans. My dress slacks are a solid 16, jeans are a 14.
Queenie324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
OMG KIDS getting plastic surgery!? Crap that is just so WRONG!

I think the US can learn a lot from other countries (and vice versa, too...). We have a lot of great things here. We have universal health care (and its great), 1 year maternity leave, lots of protection for employees, etc. There are so many benefits. But we pay more in taxes....(although we MAKE a lot more too, so it evens out).

One thing that impresses me about the education system here (besides the fact that college is FREE and you actually get a stipend to study!!) is how important foreign language is from an early age. Kids start with English in 3rd grade, and by 5th are also learning German, French, or another language (of course this is alongside Danish!).

In my school (normal American public school) we didn't start with a 2nd language until 9th grade...YIKES! I LOVED learning a 2nd language, and wish we had done it earlier. It is easier for younger children, because of brain development.

Anyhow, I don't want to dump on the US, because there are also great things about living there! But I do love living in Europe. I also love the better food quality, but that is another matter
Yeah 9th grade is when I started to learn a second language too, I chose Spanish and my good friend chose German, I wish now I had chosen German but I like knowing Spanish too.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #140

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqw1968 View Post
^^^ This. I'm 5' 6" tall. 10 lbs didn't do a lot for me. That is, it didn't until I hit size 12. 10 lbs made a HUGE difference after the 12s were fitting as they should. Now that I'm in size 10s, 5 lbs is making a difference. 10 lbs must be the average.
Quote:
I love threads like this, because it just proves how wonderfully varied the human body is! Some of us can be the same height, similar weight, and yet wear completely different sizes....
I think it is frustrating to a lot of people, because we tend to fixate on size like it is an indicator of how well we are doing/losing/etc, and we are always comparing our size to that of friends, etc....but this thread just proves, yet again, that we are all individual. Those comparisons are, for the MOSt part, worthless.

Size IS really just a number!

These threads lead to positive revelations for us, especially when it comes to reconciling the numbers on the scale or the clothing label with our self esteem.

I have seen a couple of brilliant websites that are trying to illustrate this concept (also, realistic concepts of weight) with pictures (the photographic height/weight chart is one). I think these things are invaluable! Especially considering the messages we are bombarded with daily in regards to weight/size/etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerblues View Post
yea this. And I usually have to lose over 10 pounds, actually about 15 pounds to make a big difference and people actually notice.
Yep, agreed. 5'9"...lost 50 pounds and people only within the last 5-10 pounds have noticed....What the?
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
226...38's are getting big...xxl getting way too big...
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: misslowcarbdiva
Stats: 173/138/135
WOE: 72 Atkins
Start Date: Mid Nov (got serious)
5'1 - 157.5 lbs
size 8
misslowcarbdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aim36
Stats: Wt: 288/244.6/? BMI: 44.4/37.74/?
WOE: calorie count/watch carbs/overall healthier WOE
Start Date: did this before, I can do it again - 08/15/12
5' 7 1/2" 230 something....18-20W---XL tops!
aim36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sheesh...this morning my 14 jeans are just HUGE on me. They were OK yesterday, on the way to getting too big...but wow. I am swimming in them today! I have had a LOT of losses this week, though.

I am down to 203.9 today-have lost 3 pounds in the last few days. I am guessing that those size 12s are going to be a perfect fit sooner than later!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Sheesh...this morning my 14 jeans are just HUGE on me. They were OK yesterday, on the way to getting too big...but wow. I am swimming in them today! I have had a LOT of losses this week, though.

I am down to 203.9 today-have lost 3 pounds in the last few days. I am guessing that those size 12s are going to be a perfect fit sooner than later!
:c lap:
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tpiper55
Stats: 191/157/135
Start Date: December 2008
5'7", 152lbs size 6
tpiper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gremom
Quote:

That is GREAT!!

I am 5'4" and 153lbs and wear a 8 or 10 in pants and small or med in tops. My girls have shrunk quite a bit on top. I have a bit of a gut due to my big baby boy, but that is shrinking too. The 12's I wore last week and much too big and the 10's are already getting loose. The scale isn't budging, but as long as my clothes are getting looser, I am a-okay!
Gremom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
150.6 this a.m. and 5'6" tall (42 yrs old)

I tried on two pair of Lee Rider 8s at Wally World in two different styles last night. They were snug, but not uncomfortably tight.

I posted earlier. You can see the difference in weight/size from that date and the size change. The 8s fit almost the same as the 10s were fitting the week prior to that.
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #149
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tammy145
Stats: 328/170/145
WOE: Just my own thing-low carb
Start Date: Gastric Bypass in January 2004
my heavy journey.....

I currently weigh 170 at 5'6' and wear a size 8.

My lowest weight ever was 150 just a couple months ago. It lasted maybe a day,lol... I was in a size 4 and loved it!!!!

I had gastric bypass in Jan. 2005 weighing 328lbs. if it taught me anything it was to eat and live the low carb lifestyle to lose it and maintain.

In the past 6 years my weight has been on a roller coaster ride. With 3 pregnancies I delivered my last baby weighing 260 lbs. Convinced that I was doomed, i called my weight loss surgeon who said that he would NOT do a revision and that I needed to kick my butt back into gear, which I did.

Last December I had a hernia repair and they removed over 15 pounds of abdominal excess. Yuck! I even have pictures from the O.R.
That was they key to fitting my booty into a tiny pair of jeans, that are getting dusty as we speak. I am determined to dust them off and wear before winters end!

I have never met my goal of 140ish but I know that I will and I can't wait to taste "oh how sweet" that will be!
I feel revitalized after just finding this site this morning. I can't wait to try some of the recipies!!
Tammy145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqw1968 View Post
150.6 this a.m. and 5'6" tall (42 yrs old)

I tried on two pair of Lee Rider 8s at Wally World in two different styles last night. They were snug, but not uncomfortably tight.

I posted earlier. You can see the difference in weight/size from that date and the size change. The 8s fit almost the same as the 10s were fitting the week prior to that.
Right on the brink of a 50 lb loss!!!! GO YOU!!!!!!!!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote