Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dBailey
Stats: 209/175/175
WOE: maintenance
Swerve sweetener

Does anyone use it? I just saw it on sale for the first time on Netrition today...it sounds good (also I checked the Swerve website)...aside from its high cost, any other negatives?
Dennis

Last edited by dBailey; 11-20-2010 at 03:24 PM..
dBailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I hadn't heard of it, but I see that it is
"Zeratol™ (patent pending blend of erythritol and natural flavors)"

A lot of people use erythritol without any problems. I wonder what the "natural flavors" are?
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
I saw this listed too and am very interested because I, too, am good w/Erythritol.

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
The only thing I don't like about these proprietary blends, they're probably GMO corn derived.

I'd be curious as to the "natural flavors" statement too.....

I prefer "Ultimate Sweetener" which is erythritol from birch.

Last edited by fawn; 11-20-2010 at 07:06 PM..
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Qsmum
Stats: 388/297/225
WOE: Atkins - self modified
Start Date: May 1-22, 2010/restart June 1, 2010
I love swerve, especially for my coffee! I bought swerve and sweet perfection at the same time. Needless to say, I have gone through 4 bags of swerve and the sweet perfection is still sitting in my cabinet - emergencies only, after even splenda which I really don't like. I tried it in an egg custard and prefer a mix of stevia and erythitol to the swerve. But for coffee, it is the only thing I have tried without an aftertaste to me. If I don't have swerve, I don't do coffee. Tea I can handle with my mix of s & e, or splenda, but not coffee. I think it must be something about those coffee beans that it always tastes acidy or bitter to me. But even my DH loves coffee with the swerve over sugar!

I don't care if you lick windows,take the special bus or occasionally pee on yourself..
You hang in there sunshine, you're special
Qsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dobby737
Swerve Sweetener, Good Product, Easy to Bake with, & Safe Low Carb Sweetener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBailey View Post
Does anyone use it? I just saw it on sale for the first time on Netrition today...it sounds good (also I checked the Swerve website)...aside from its high cost, any other negatives?
Dennis
I used Swerve Sweetener for the first time over the Holidays along with another sugar that I also liked for brown sugar, called Lakanto. Both are expensive, but I found very much worth the cost for me and my family. Even know both of these products use Erthyitol, they did not cause any intestinal or bloating problems. And Both Sugars, worked well in all of my recipes through Thanksgiving and Christmas. Of course I use the Swerve white sugar recipes and the Lakanto for Brown sugar recipes along with a little Yacon Syrup. I was amazed at the results, and my family did not know the difference. I personally have to eat Gluten Free/Casein Free/Corn Free/Soy Free and MSG FREE. As you know Erhtyitol, is usually made from corn, but it's corn that has been fermented. When Soy or Corn has been fermented, I don’t have problems with it, because usually the proteins that most people are Allergic to in Soy and Corn both or left out in the fermentation process, if it’s been done correctly. So, both Swerve and Lakanto have done a great job. The difference between the two, is Swerve uses Botanical flavorings for its taste, while Lakanto used only Luo Han Guo, which is a very old sweetener that’s been used by Asian Countries for ever several hundred years, without any problems. Luo Han Guo is supposed to have healing properties for those who have upper respiratory problems, and it has a nice Carmel buttery taste to it. To it works will for a brown sugar replacement. It really made my some of my cookies taste wonderful. Lakanto also has no hidden ingredients like Truvia does, it’s only made from Erthyitol and Luo Han Guo. As for Swerve, I used that totally for the recipes that needed only white sugar, and I did use the confectioner sugar which worked wonderful in my Lemon Bar Recipe. So, Yes, I would give these two products 5 stars each, and I am going to continue buy it. I’ve tried so many others and did not like the aftertaste of cooling effect or whatever. So, give it a try you may like it. . . They are both really safe, although I would still like to know what’s hidden under the botanical Flavoring in Swerve. I have given them a call and hopefully I will be getting and answer soon. I am also concerned about the Swerve Confectioner sugar, because I can’t use Corn Starch, because that is not terminated, and REGULAR Confectioner Sugar uses Corn Starch. . .SO hopefully that is not true of Swerve Confectioner Sugar. Oh by the way if you do use the Swerve Confectioner Sugar, use a measuring cup to get sugar out, because it doesn’t pour will because it is really light and feathery. But I did not find that to be a problem, as one women did, if you use the method that I did to get the Confectioner Sugar out of the bag. DO NOT POUR. . .

One other thing I should mention is that Lakanto made from certified non-GMO corn. . . . .

And this is how the company for Swerve explains it product, which also uses Non-GMO ?
Our proprietary formulation of erythritol is made by enzymatic processes where enzymes break-down natural foods that are a part of your everyday diet (fruits and vegetables). The process that we use to yield the white crystals is the introduction of microorganisms classified as “osmotolerant”. The "non-GMO microorganisms" are introduced, and during that 3 day “fermentation” process a white crystalline powder is formed. Those crystals are then purified with natural activated charcoal and ultrafiltration, no chemicals involved..

Last edited by Dobby737; 01-19-2011 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Needed to add Non-GMO. . . .
Dobby737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: torch
WOE: Moderate Carbs
@Fawn, maybe I'm wrong but I thought "ultimate sweetener" was birch from sugar (aka xylitol). Do they make erythritol now?
torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Does anyone have any other info on these Sweeteners?
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
I have been using swerve (confectioner style) for my ice creams mostly. I like the taste.

I understand it is a mix of erythritol and olligosaccirides.

As far as I know Erythritol is the only sugar alcohol that you can really net out when counting carbs, as only 5% of it is metabolised. Even Xylitol is 50% metabolised, and forget Maltitol which is 75% metabolised - might as well just eat sugar.

As far as olliogosaccirises, that is same types of sweetners as fructo-olligosacchrides (FOS) I beleive, which is AKA Inulin or even Chicory Root which derives its sweetness from Inulin. Inulin is a type of FOS, and is a soluable dieatary fiber, which is non-digestible so it can be netted out for purposes of counting carbs.

Drawbacks of Inulin incude that it is a prebiotic, or fertilizer for all the bacterias and yeasts in your colon. It can encourage the growth of the good bacterias such as acidophelus, but also the bad bacterias and yeats which lead to some nasty things.

I'm still researching this stuff my self, but IMO I think Inulin/FOS is sweetner I would use in moderation and not as my sole choice for all needs. I still think Erythritol and Stevia are better healthwise in the long run, but I wouldn't hesitate to consume a moderate amount of Inulin/FOS while my GI was otherwise healthy (I don't think it would be wise to eat this while on anti-biotics or something that might alter you normal baterial populations in your GI tract.

Hope that helps.
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote