Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
COCONUT SUGAR

Anyone know anything about coconut sugar. I've just seen it and know nothing about it. Thanks. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Brain! Brain! What is brain?

Gallery: AriAnne
This pure and simple cane sugar alternative is naturally low on the Glycemic Index (GI), which has benefits for weight control and improving glucose and lipid levels in people with diabetes (type 1 and type 2).

Coconut Sugar is produced from the sweet juices of tropical coconut palm sugar blossoms. Traditional sugar farmers climb high into the canopy of swaying coconuts and harvest the sweet nectar by gently slicing the flower. Once collected, the nectars are kettle-boiled into a thick caramel and ground to a fine crystal.

Coconut sugar has long been a staple in south East Asian culinary heritage and herbal medicine.
AriAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Brain! Brain! What is brain?

Gallery: AriAnne
More, from Wiki:

Although the names are used interchangeably, palm sugar and coconut sugar are not the same. One comes from the palmyra or sugar palm and the other from coconut palm, but both are produced from the sweet, watery sap that drips from cut flower buds.

It is quickly gaining popularity in the progressive global health community as an alternative to agave syrup. Companies are now selling it into the natural food markets in India, so it is becoming easier to get high quality organic arenga or coconut palm sugar.

The taste of pure coconut palm sugar resembles that of brown sugar, yet with more rounded caramel and butterscotch notes, without the metallic ending flavor that brown sugar has. It has a rich flavor. For cooking purposes, it has a very low melt temperature and an extremely high burn temperature. This makes it a suitable sweetener for confectioners.

The brown sugar is a golden brown granule or paste, sold in tubes, blocks or tin cans. Liquid versions of coconut palm sugar are also available. It may be light-colored or dark, soft and gooey or hard. As a lightly-processed product of cottage industry, it varies greatly from batch to batch.

There are various forms of coconut palm sugar available on the market. The coconut palm sugar found in Thai markets generally are not 100% pure coconut palm sugar, but is blended with white cane sugar and also malt sugar. These tend to white hard blobs. It's important to discern which product you're looking for; a pure coconut palm sugar or a coconut palm sugar mixed with other sugars.
AriAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: glamazon
Stats: 290/279/195 ** 6'2
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 5/25/2014
It is awesome, but IT IS NOT LOW CARB. I have an Azukar Organics bag in my cupboard, and 1 teaspoon is 5 carbs. It is a really beautiful and tasty sugar, but at 5 carbs per teaspoon I can't use it for anything.

For comparison, I also have a bag of organic evaporated cane juice (essentially organic sugar) and it is 4 carbs per teaspoon.

Last edited by glamazon; 10-17-2010 at 03:09 PM..
glamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
that's interesting.i wonder what the carb content for coconut flour is. i don't think it is nearly that high. does anyone know? i also only have to use a tsp of the flour at a time, with 2 eggs for a pancake, because it bulks up so much.
lovelifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
I finally opened my pack of coconut sugar. I mixed 2 teaspoons with a bit of butter and kinda sprinkled it on my flax bread loaves while baking. It tasted like caramel. Danger, Danger! LOL
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gardenofsimple
Stats: 161/146.5/130, pp #3 181/181/130
WOE: atkins inspired, whole foods
Start Date: 4/6/10, pp#3 4/28/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollkey View Post
I finally opened my pack of coconut sugar. I mixed 2 teaspoons with a bit of butter and kinda sprinkled it on my flax bread loaves while baking. It tasted like caramel. Danger, Danger! LOL
I bought some last week too - even though the carb count is higher. I plan on using it the same way (sprinkled over the tops of things, or baking for the kids)
gardenofsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
It's very sweet. If you've been doing sugar free for awhile then a little bit goes a long way.
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Sugar is sugar.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
Sugar is sugar.
yeah? Personally, I'd rather have a form of 'real' sugar than something like Splenda. If you go with out any sugar at all, ever - that's awesome for you, sincerely. But sometimes I like to have a little sweetener.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Wow, you read a lot in to those three words which are simply not there.

The point is that the biochemical effect of a sugar molecule is the same no matter how trendy the source of that molecule is... any value judgments about that biochemical effect I leave up to those who are so quick to make value judgments.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
Wow, you read a lot in to those three words which are simply not there.

The point is that the biochemical effect of a sugar molecule is the same no matter how trendy the source of that molecule is... any value judgments about that biochemical effect I leave up to those who are so quick to make value judgments.
I wasn't reading into anything, your statement was very simple and to the point. Of course sugar is sugar. I don't think any of us were saying otherwise?

I'm not concerned with trendy sugars and in fact use sucanat (unprocessed/unstripped regular ol' cane sugar) in most of my baking for the kids, and even occasionally for myself. I am very weary of alternative sugars and it doesn't matter if they are 'all natural' or not.

But I do like some sweetness from time to time - even if there are effects (which of course there are no matter what sugar you use), and I like to have options (whether that's sucanat, honey, maple syrup or trying some coconut sugar.

Moonlit Hill