Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   ATKINS RASH/HIVES? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/695337-atkins-rash-hives.html)

lovelifemama 10-17-2010 04:58 AM

ATKINS RASH/HIVES?
 
i have started induction several times (unfortunately stopped several times too which is why i've had to start again). anyhow, each time, around the 5th - 7th day of induction, i get a rash - possibly hives, bright red, slightly raised, itchy, and ugly! the even weirder part is that the rash appears on my...er..female parts, almost like a bra outline - so sorry for the image!

has anyone else had this experience? i've tried to research it online, but can't reallyfind anything. is this some sort of symptom of sugar withdrawal, maybe the body's ability to cleanse a bit without the sugar/starch onslaught?

any thoughts would be appreciated...
thanks!

clanger 10-17-2010 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelifemama (Post 14002131)
i have started induction several times (unfortunately stopped several times too which is why i've had to start again). anyhow, each time, around the 5th - 7th day of induction, i get a rash - possibly hives, bright red, slightly raised, itchy, and ugly! the even weirder part is that the rash appears on my...er..female parts, almost like a bra outline - so sorry for the image!

has anyone else had this experience? i've tried to research it online, but can't reallyfind anything. is this some sort of symptom of sugar withdrawal, maybe the body's ability to cleanse a bit without the sugar/starch onslaught?

any thoughts would be appreciated...
thanks!

Hi there lovelifemama :D! Sorry to hear of your problem.

Every time I've started induction, after 2-3 weeks a red, sometimes quite angry, rash has appeared behind my ears, going down both sides of my neck in a symmetrical pattern.

Some people have suggested Candida / some sort of yeast die-off might cause it, others questioned whether any new foods had been introduced during induction which might be causing a reaction. Could either of these be the culprit for you?

Personally, I have never got to the bottom of it. In my case, the rash went away after two - three months.

lovelifemama 10-17-2010 07:15 AM

thanks for the reply, clanger! no new foods, but the yeats die-off is possible. i hope that's it actually; i know those buggers can cause allergies, fatigue, etc. so if i've got candida it's good to know it's dying off. i've bee having lots of coconut oil, so maybe that and the lack of sugar which yeast feed on, is causing the reaction.

i also getin he back of my neck and hair/neck border. so funny! maybe after two-three months they died off completely for you? do you feel any better now than when you started this WOE? (stupid question i guess) i'd love to hear about in what ways...

anyone else with this strange rash?

nonstickpam107 10-17-2010 07:38 AM

Yes, me too...and I definitely had Candida when I started (how could I NOT??? all the sugar, etc.). I started taking a probiotic to try and 'finish it off' and it worked too. It's miserable. Anywhere I would sweat..that's where I would break out.

I was good in about eight weeks I'd say...never had that again...(but that's cuz I eat NO sugar, and NO gluten). I'm kind of lucky though...I have Celiac so if I eat gluten...I'm in for two days of excruciating abdominal pain and living in the bathroom.

Pam

kaybie 10-17-2010 08:09 AM

Yep, I would bet money it's the Candida. I have the exact same thing.. where my bra is. It comes and goes, depending on what I'm eating. I suggest staying as low carb as you can, no dairy, and no peanuts, until the rash goes away. I have found that when I up my carbs, the rash will stop but as soon as I go back down, it comes back worse than before. It can be tricky to get a good balance. There's a Candida section to this message board that helped me a lot, although my case isn't nearly as severe as some other people's so I am not taking any supplements. I do coconut oil and apple cider vinegar and very low carb. It helps as long as I don't eat something weird.

I've also found the rash will come back after I eat at a restaurant REGARDLESS of how low carb I try to eat.. which makes me really angry. Says to me that they put crap in the food that shouldn't be there. I need to take about 3 weeks of zero carb and no eating out, I think.

LowCarbIrene 10-17-2010 10:17 AM

THANK GOD i found this posting! I was going to see a doc or something but this sounds EXACTLY like what I have. Right above my sternum/breastbone (ie, inbetween the "ladies") and on both shoulders/collarbone areas too. I will try some diet changes. :) Awesome to learn about this!

Nolee 10-17-2010 10:55 AM

Yes, me too, same location, chest area between. I'm fighting the Candida off as best I can. ACV, coconut oil, pro & pre biotics, certain food avoidance (like cheese). It comes and goes for me, takes a few weeks to clear up.

pooticus 10-17-2010 10:56 AM

Could you stop the coconut oil as well for a week to see if you might be allergic to it?

I would second the taking of probiotics and eating prebiotic foods too.

sistertzu 10-17-2010 11:00 AM

I had been plagued with rashes my whole life probably mostly associated with sensitivities to grain. I have had this rash you speak of.

I have found if I control my protein intake it is greatly reduced. Being vigilant about balanced eating has helped me. My rash was associated with uric acid build up being released from my fat cells and my body was unable to keep up with flushing it out which is associated with gout attacks. Coconut oil topically after cleansing with warm water and baby bath has helped to protect my skin from the crystals that would form. I suggest a doctor visit to determine the cause if it persists. I was told increased water intake would help but I got no relief from it.

fawn 10-17-2010 11:07 AM

Your bacteria is most certainly out of balance. Anti-fungals, no sugar dairy or moldy foods like mushrooms and nuts.....probiotics and as deb mentions, prebiotics (found in garlic and onions)

This is your body detoxing and the candida dying off.

This should be a definite sign a "defining moment" of sorts to continue eating well.

lovelifemama 10-17-2010 05:57 PM

i'm so glad i asked this question! what great info and even more than that, happy to know i'm not the only one. looks like coconut oil is a bit of a magic potion here. i also do apple cider vinegar, and probiotics, but not pre. oh and lots of water. i've just started avoiding cheese - this is very hard for me. i always feel like if i am ot eating sugar and carbs, tha is the one "treat" i get, but now i know that is the candida talking.

as gross as the rash is, it's also motivating. if this is yeast die-off, bring it on! i want those suckers out! i'll continue with what i've been doing and try to stay more vigilant about the cheese.

any more info anyone???

good luck to all of us in detoxing and restoring balance to our bodies!

LowCarbIrene 10-17-2010 09:47 PM

I didn't add any new food into my diet for induction, other then bacon, which I've had before in the past without incidence. Initially I thought this was an allergic rash (as I had gone into a hot tub earlier that day) but both benadryl and hydrocortisone did nothing for it.

lovelifemama- I know the feeling, I love my cheese too! I had a *scant* amount today, not even 1g...maybe even under 0.5g. I love cheese and coffee and it saddens me to realize both of these are no-no's under the candida diet. BUT at this point, I'll do anything to get rid of this rash!

SO, having said that, today I bought:
Topical clotrimazole cream (1%)
Coconut Oil
Fish Oil supplements
ACV, the good stuff

Going to attack this thing full force from the outside and inside...... here's hoping it'll go away soon. :)

ILoveCheese 10-18-2010 03:05 AM

I'm not sure with regards to low carb, but I've fought yeast for years. When I was nursing my babies, we'd always end up with thrush. It was recommended that I try Grapefruit Seed Extract. It really helped! The stuff tastes nasty though, back then I would put it in orange juice to cover the bitterness, but it can be put in water as well. Google it to find correct dosing. I'm thinking I used 10 drops in a small amount of juice two or three times per day. But it's been awhile and my memory ain't what it used to be, lol!

lovelifemama 10-18-2010 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbIrene (Post 14004713)
I didn't add any new food into my diet for induction, other then bacon, which I've had before in the past without incidence. Initially I thought this was an allergic rash (as I had gone into a hot tub earlier that day) but both benadryl and hydrocortisone did nothing for it.

lovelifemama- I know the feeling, I love my cheese too! I had a *scant* amount today, not even 1g...maybe even under 0.5g. I love cheese and coffee and it saddens me to realize both of these are no-no's under the candida diet. BUT at this point, I'll do anything to get rid of this rash!

SO, having said that, today I bought:
Topical clotrimazole cream (1%)
Coconut Oil
Fish Oil supplements
ACV, the good stuff

Going to attack this thing full force from the outside and inside...... here's hoping it'll go away soon. :)

what kind of ACV do you get? good luck with the attack! glad we're all joining forces...

lovelifemama 10-18-2010 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveCheese (Post 14004821)
I'm not sure with regards to low carb, but I've fought yeast for years. When I was nursing my babies, we'd always end up with thrush. It was recommended that I try Grapefruit Seed Extract. It really helped! The stuff tastes nasty though, back then I would put it in orange juice to cover the bitterness, but it can be put in water as well. Google it to find correct dosing. I'm thinking I used 10 drops in a small amount of juice two or three times per day. But it's been awhile and my memory ain't what it used to be, lol!

ilovecheese, needless to say i love your name! yes, grapefruit seed extract, i totally forgot about this. and my baby is still a toddler, so i have no excuse! i nursed her and she got thrush early on and we both took grapefruit seed extract inernally. i also used to apply some to my breast area before nursing. thanks so much fo the reminder. will get some more today.

btw, i still use it in diluted in a little spray bottle as anatural sanitizer for my daughter. it's alcohol free.

paulabob 10-18-2010 06:12 AM

My candida flares when I lose weight quickly! Kind of like it's angry it doesn't have more carbs. I generally have it under the bra area as well as tummy upset and gurgles.

I like to use coconut oil internally and tea tree oil in the rashy spot.

Clanger Any time I'm run down, I'll start getting itchy behind one of my ears. It's where I got my first chicken pox sore when I contracted chicken pox at 21. I have a permanent bump there, but when I'm not tired it doesn't bother me. Wondering if there is some sort of immune system reaction with your neck rash...

LowCarbIrene 10-18-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelifemama (Post 14004912)
what kind of ACV do you get? good luck with the attack! glad we're all joining forces...

I got my "supplies" from The Vitamin Shoppe, and they carried their own brand which was sl. cheaper then Bragg's. It looked to be about the same quality tho, organic with the mother etc.

I gotta say, I really like coconut oil and I think it'll be my new butter!

I forgot to mention I also got some Udo's super 8 high potency probiotics.

Today was day 1 waking up after full blown arsenal attack, and I have to say the rash is about 50% better. Yay!:kicking:

neneRN 10-18-2010 09:55 AM

OMG!! I have this...not on Adkins, but have been on Medi for 8 weeks (low cal, very low carb). Weird thing is, I didn't get it until a few days ago, I met goal last week and have slightly upped both cal and carb for maintenance phase since then. Its where bottom of my bra sits and all down one side of my torso. Will ask doc about it at next weigh in; have never had any problem with yeast ever.

fawn 10-18-2010 11:18 AM

For those nursing, a bit of coconut oil on the nipple/aerola is a good idea....

I have seen great success with colloidal silver in the fight against candida imbalance and you can find it at the vitamin shoppe.

GSE is a great heavy hitter too.

clanger 10-18-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulabob (Post 14005118)
My candida flares when I lose weight quickly! Kind of like it's angry it doesn't have more carbs. I generally have it under the bra area as well as tummy upset and gurgles.

I like to use coconut oil internally and tea tree oil in the rashy spot.

Clanger Any time I'm run down, I'll start getting itchy behind one of my ears. It's where I got my first chicken pox sore when I contracted chicken pox at 21. I have a permanent bump there, but when I'm not tired it doesn't bother me. Wondering if there is some sort of immune system reaction with your neck rash...

Gosh, paulabob, funnily enough I do have a sore throat, swollen glands and cold at the moment, and I noticed just after my last post (claiming the rash had completely gone), that it's actually back :laugh:! Only very slightly, but it's definitely there. I wonder if you could be right!

Another thing I've noticed lately is that I've been rather lax in taking my ACV, so I wonder if that could also have something to do with it. Hmmm.

baxter 10-20-2010 06:05 PM

Geez I love this site - I knew someone on here would know about this.

Mine started on my shoulder and then my old shingles spot along my bra line now on my wrists - going to conquer it just like you guys are! :clap:

Thanks!

LowCarbIrene 10-20-2010 06:14 PM

I have been applying the cream religiously at least twice a day (if not more) along with coconut oil both internally and topically. I take ACV (although not much) and 3 of Udo's super 8 Probiotic pills/day with meals.

I would like to say I completely eliminated all yeast from my diet, but I did have a teensy bit of cheese and cream (both no no's for yeast). But overall, improved my diet to the yeast-diet (as well as the induction rules).

To top it off, I ate an entire clove of garlic (which I would not recommend doing- BLEECH YUCK):sick: last night, and again another one this morning. Garlic has natural anti-fungal properties to it, and is really powerful.

The result? Today is Wednesday, I started doing all this only 3 days ago, I'd say the rash is about 75% gone.:clap:

:mad:I *really* want this rash gone (have an event on Friday!) so I'm taking it to the extreme..... but it seems to be working. I know these things can take awhile to clear up... so here's hoping another 2 days and it'll be gone (or at least even more improved):up:

MsWoods 10-20-2010 06:36 PM

Hmmmm I wonder if I might have this. About a month ago (which is odd because I've been lc'ing for 16 months and not had this happen) I started itching right above my left shoulder, really bad. It's moved around my whole neck area around my collar bone and ended up right on my chest. I woke up scratching it so hard when I got up in the morning it was raw. I got some antihystimines, itch cream, and Aveno soap, and it seemed to help.

Now it's starting to go around again, although it's much much less itchy and bothersome than before, but still there and annoying.

I have lost about 20lbs this month, most of it within the last couple weeks. I have dropped almost all veggies (except the occasional salad), and been mostly meat/egg, and getting some fat and calories from hwc. I haven't had much cheese or cream cheese or dairy in general except a tiny bit of hwc. No garlic or onions either.

What does anyone think?

After reading this it kind of makes me think this might be my problem. It kind of happened around the time I reduced my carbs and calories significantly.

fawn 10-20-2010 08:07 PM

If you're experiencing rashes as well, an ACV bath is soothing and helps to relieve the itching.....it also assists in the detoxification through the skin.

MsWoods 10-21-2010 04:50 AM

Ok I will try that Fawn. Thank you.

kaybie 10-21-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawn (Post 14003122)
Your bacteria is most certainly out of balance. Anti-fungals, no sugar dairy or moldy foods like mushrooms and nuts.....probiotics and as deb mentions, prebiotics (found in garlic and onions)

This is your body detoxing and the candida dying off.

This should be a definite sign a "defining moment" of sorts to continue eating well.

Fawn do you mind me asking how long you went without nuts and dairy? I'm pretty sure you eat them now don't you? I'm just wondering. I know I need to do it, but for how long, I don't know. I don't want to bring them back too soon and screw everything up.

fawn 10-22-2010 12:59 PM

Oh Kaybie, when I experienced candida, I didn't know what I had! This was several years ago (I'm going on my 11th year of low carb) I never eliminated dairy until my recent years of "restricting dairy". I still use hwc in my coffee and will have some cheese about 3 days a week but that's it. I keep it really clean most days. My faithful low carb and a bit of misery for several months, and I was able to bring my body into balance not really knowing what was going on.

However, that being said, I think a good 6 month stint is a good idea for the dairy and add nuts before the dairy.

Like I've said so many times though, don't discount the amazing ability of colloidal silver which you can find at vitamin shoppe's and health food stores. It's expensive but it works. Get rid of that imbalance quickly so you can move on.....

kaybie 10-22-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawn (Post 14020093)
Oh Kaybie, when I experienced candida, I didn't know what I had! This was several years ago (I'm going on my 11th year of low carb) I never eliminated dairy until my recent years of "restricting dairy". I still use hwc in my coffee and will have some cheese about 3 days a week but that's it. I keep it really clean most days. My faithful low carb and a bit of misery for several months, and I was able to bring my body into balance not really knowing what was going on.

However, that being said, I think a good 6 month stint is a good idea for the dairy and add nuts before the dairy.

Like I've said so many times though, don't discount the amazing ability of colloidal silver which you can find at vitamin shoppe's and health food stores. It's expensive but it works. Get rid of that imbalance quickly so you can move on.....

Thanks Fawn. Six months sounds like forever LOL, but I've been LC for 5 months and I've done totally fine so I'm sure I could do it :). I've been avoiding cheese for a while now, but I still use butter on my salmon and fried eggs, and hwc in my coffee. I stopped the nuts. Grr.. maybe I will just go ahead and get some supplements. I don't know why I resist them.. okay I do know $$$. But it's important so I should invest a little. I've already made the transition to 100% pastured and grass fed meats, which I'm pretty proud of I must say haha.

fawn 10-22-2010 05:22 PM

You should be very proud. That is a huge transition! I think the most important supps are coconut oil, probiotics and silver.
Avoid the cheese for 90 days and evaluate how you feel.

LowCarbIrene 10-25-2010 08:21 PM

My full on attack worked. :) 5 days, yeast rash= gone. That was brutal though. :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 PM.