Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cmlcmom
Ketostix are negative, am I still in ketosis?

I have the dreaded metallic taste in my mouth, yet my ketostix are stating negative. I still have some hunger, but the breath is defintatly there. Do you think I am still in ketosis? I've never had much luck with ketostix. Only time I really register is when I eat nothing but eggs and am dehydrated. Just trying to figure out if I am still "in" at my carb level since I taste it.
cmlcmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Yes you can be in ketosis and the stix don't turn colors.

"There are a number of problems with Ketostix not the least of which is that urinary ketone concentration is at best a very indirect indicator of what’s going on in the body. True ketosis is defined in terms of blood concentrations (terms ketonemia), not urine (terms ketonuria). But since you can’t easily measure ketones in the blood (no, you can’t put blood on the Ketostix, I tried it years ago and it doesn’t work), the next best thing is urinary ketones.
Now, obviously, if you have ketones in your urine, you certainly have them in your bloodstream. However, the absence of ketones in the urine doesn’t mean that you’re not still in ketosis (as defined by blood concentrations). You might be in ketosis as measured by blood levels but simply not be excreting any in the urine. Or not excreting enough to change the Ketostix.

Basically, there are a variety of things that influence whether or not there are enough ketones present to be excreted in the urine in sufficient quantities to make the Ketostix change colors. For example, you might not be making ketones in sufficient quantities (this happens in lean people, especially if they are very active), lots of water can dilute your urine and the ketone concentration, some other variables can impact on whether or not you show ketones on the Ketostix.

As you might imagine, at the end of the day, I don’t think focusing on ketosis per se (or the lack thereof) or the Ketostix is very valuable. You can develop deep ketosis by gorging on dietary fat (especially Medium Chain Triglycerides) but your calories will be so high that you won’t be losing much, if any fat, that way. And you can lose fat without ever showing a single ketone in the urine. Basically, there’s just no real correlation between ketosis, what the Ketostix are showing and fat loss."

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-ratio-qa.html

Last edited by lisabinil; 10-13-2010 at 08:16 AM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Thanks for this explanation Lisabinil! I have lost about 60 lbs. from my highest. I have definitely burned fat, but seldom have I registered more than "slight" on the ketostix. I eat 30 g of carbs or less all the time. (Practically! Lol) I have heard some people say they are in ketosis at 80g of carbs per day!

Last edited by girondet; 10-13-2010 at 08:41 AM..
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Are you losing weight okay? Don't lose sight of what your real goal is here. If you're losing weight okay it doesn't matter what colour your ketostix are.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: laureninva
Stats: 309/215/150
WOE: Atkins forever this time
Start Date: Restart 8/12/09 at 309
I have never used the ketostix. I think as long as you are following your plan, it doesn't matter what color you pee on a silly piece of paper
laureninva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I agree with junkfoodmonkey and lauren. My primary goal was not to be in ketosis and verify this by peeing on a stick; my goal was to lose weight.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote