LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
Fruit!

who eats it? what kind & what amount? did it/does it have a negative effect on your weight loss?

for the first time today, i had about 1/3 of an apple. it was delicious and very satisfying...it gave me the same satisfaction as a low carb treat (read: low carb junk) would.

*i* think it's better to have a bit of fruit here and there than to eat processed crap, low carb or not. what do you think?
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Eating fruit works for me and luckily I am able to eat all fruits and lose weight. For me I would rather eat an apple than an Atkins Bar.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hitsalot
Start Date: July 2010
i started eating strawberries and drinking lemon juice w/ my water a few weeks ago and i'm still losing. :-)
hitsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Eating fruit works for me and luckily I am able to eat all fruits and lose weight. For me I would rather eat an apple than an Atkins Bar.
that was my thinking too, but the look of horror on my dh's face when i started to eat the apple made me second guess myself for a minute
Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FitnessWanabee
Stats: unfit/getting there/stud
WOE: Moderate everything
Start Date: Restart August 2012
Sorry but I just can't buy the idea of an apple as low-carb junk. Apple's have nutrients and fiber and are WHOLE foods.
FitnessWanabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessWanabee View Post
Sorry but I just can't buy the idea of an apple as low-carb junk. Apple's have nutrients and fiber and are WHOLE foods.
Amy didn't say it was low carb junk but merely that it satisfied her just the same as if she had eaten some low carb junk.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

My point is that none of us got fat because we ate apples. Just think about that for a moment.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
My point is that none of us got fat because we ate apples. Just think about that for a moment.
Nobody is disputing that but Amy's point in her thread here is that fruit satisfies her just as well as a lc treat and asked how fruit affects the individual. That being said I can eat bananas with no problem and lose weight.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #9

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Amy, I eat fruit. Not as part of my daily menus, though. I save it for the weekends when I have my higher-carb days. It's just easier for me to compartmentalize it that way. And I too would rather have an entire nectarine, some plums, or a bowl of cantaloupe than a SF dessert or a bar.

Last edited by peanutte; 10-06-2010 at 09:17 AM..
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Nobody is disputing that but Amy's point in her thread here is that fruit satisfies her just as well as a lc treat and asked how fruit affects the individual. That being said I can eat bananas with no problem and lose weight.

precisely! i can eat some low carb chocolate here and there and be fine, but fruit is something i haven't really conquered yet other than a few berries. i'm curious as to how much tolerance fellow lc'ers have with fruit, at no point did i make mention that apples made me or anyone else fat
Old 10-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lola Bartez
Stats: 181/153/135-140? (5' 6")
WOE: ZC
Start Date: 22 June 2010
Quote:
none of us got fat because we ate any one single food - but add them all together, all those healthy, whole, fibre-filled foods and you have more carbs than most of us can handle
Lola Bartez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
I eat mostly berries. I don't mind an occasional apple. I basically don't eat fruit because I don't care for most fruits. It doesn't seem to have any negative affect on me.
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dBailey
Stats: 209/175/175
WOE: maintenance
Lola makes a good point! After induction and certainly in maintenance, whole fruits should be included occasionally in my opinion...I eat an apple every day as part of a healthy whole foods WOE...
Dennis
dBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
So far it's berries, cantaloupe and occasionally a dehydrated granny smith apple slice or two.. (love the food dehydrator!!) and Im still losing..
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyDude
Stats: 240/237/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1st time 11/2006. Lost 41 lbs. Restart 1/7/2013
I guess it depends on what plan you are on and where you are in that plan. For me eating a banana on the induction phase of atkins would be a definate "no no".
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
My Mom has been at a 66 lb Low carb weight loss for over 4 years. She eats fruits on a daily basis.
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vastamper
Stats: sw145/cw128/begin pre maint 125
WOE: Atkins/Modifying it 5/2014
Start Date: April 2001, April 2010
I have been eating berries and melons w/o problems. I do eat them with fat, like yogurt or cheese.

Everyone is different maybe you can regularly eat fruit! Gotta try it to find out.

I am just now on the "other fruit" rung. I am doing pears...a half a pear at a time with fat. They seem to bother me a little...intestinal grumbles. But they haven't stalled me or sent me on a binge. So I'm going to drop them and try apples. Again with fat, like cheese or natural peanut butter.

I haven't tried any cooked fruits and wonder how that concentration of sugar would go over with a LCer??

Yes it's summer, but I'm keeping this quote to motivate me!

I am modifying my WOE!

OWL Rungs...1 Veggies 2 Yogurt 3 Seeds and Nuts 4 Berries and Melons 5 Wine 6 Legumes 7 More fruits 8 Starchy veggies 9 Whole grains and CCLL!
vastamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

One way to reduce the carbs are granny smith apples vs the standard red ones.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I eat 1/2 apple every day. It keeps me regulated. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #20

Gallery: pocahontas
Eating fruit works for me on maintenance only but I lost weight very slowly with it (except for berries). I enjoy quite a bit of it now that I am pg, just had a nectarine and some yummy chese for a snack!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbLea
Stats: 184 (highest) 148/127.8/123 - 5'5
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: February 20, 2012
I eat fruit a couple times a week and I'm still losing. I eat whatever looks good at the store - sometimes berries, grapes, apple, pear...
I usually pair it with fat though.... cheese, nuts, or heavy cream.

One of my favorite things to do with apples is cut it in half, core it, pop it in the microwave for a couple minutes until it's soft.... then add toppings in the core and pop it back in the microwave for 20 seconds (or until melted) - some of my favorites are: butter, almond butter, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, or once I even put a square of 85% chocolate in it... it was amazing!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mishka68
Stats: 195/139/135 -- 5'1" tall (or short)
WOE: Low-carb, Gluten-free, Grain-free
Start Date: Since 2008 - started @ 195lbs.
I go through phases where I eat navel oranges daily -- I love them so much! Other than that I stick with mostly blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries, which is fine by me since they are my favorite regardless of WOE. I don't gain from fruit.
Mishka68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SashimiMark
Stats: in love with myself
WOE: organic whole foods with lots of fat
Start Date: January 2008
For a while I was having an apple every day with no negative impact on my weight loss. But haven't had much apple in a while. Guess I just haven't been in the mood for it. I do have strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries in my nearly daily shake.
SashimiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quiet_observer
Stats: 5'9" 238/227/218/170
WOE: carbs < 40-80/day
Start Date: October 20, 2009
I'll eat a fruit every now and then . I have to avoid bananas though, I like them too much, I can eat 5 or 6 in one sitting. I also eat a lot of tomatoes, and also berries in yogurt for some extra flavor. However, I don't eat fruits every day by a long shot.
quiet_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gardenofsimple
Stats: 161/146.5/130, pp #3 181/181/130
WOE: atkins inspired, whole foods
Start Date: 4/6/10, pp#3 4/28/14
I'll eat fruit if it's in season. I like to eat as locally and seasonally as possible. I see no point in eating supermarket strawberries in January* - but fresh from the vine strawberries in June? Worth it.

With apple season on us now, I've been eating about 2 a week. I usually eat them with breakfast.

*I do can and freeze fruits and vegetables too and will have those in winter on occasion, I just don't buy "fresh" ones from the market
gardenofsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #26
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Berries, grapes, apples (with a fat though or I start to crave), peaches, plums, melon (all kinds including watermelon), pomegranate, pear, and grapefruit (limited).

I eat them all and never have had a problem. The only one that pushes me to want to overeat is a banana. After eating one I am like a hungry puppy, non-stop eating!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #27

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I'll eat fruit if it's in season. I like to eat as locally and seasonally as possible. I see no point in eating supermarket strawberries in January* - but fresh from the vine strawberries in June? Worth it.
I'm glad you said this because I should have made it clear earlier, too. I don't eat these things year-round, although I will have frozen berries with yogurt sometimes in the off-season, but infrequently. I had been buying and eating all local stuff this summer since I'm maintaining. I didn't do it during weight loss. And I've had local fresh sweet corn on several occasions. The cantaloupe around here is incredible--much, much more flavorful than grocery-store cantaloupe--and Colorado peaches are well known for being exceptional, though I prefer our nectarines to the famous peaches, actually.

I had portion control issues with fruit and corn all summer and I'm not embarrassed to admit it. I mean seriously, I would have half a cantaloupe at one time, sometimes. The corn was only one day a week, when and if I did have it, but I overdid it consistently (meaning: not a little 1/4 cup serving by any stretch). And, I didn't gain weight; I actually lost five pounds over the summer.

I absolutely will not have these foods during the week, and I don't crave them or think about them when it's not a designated higher-carb day.

It's harder to be selectively permissive, in some ways, than it is to be super-strict on a more limited diet. It can be confusing. It helped to clarify my goal, which is to keep the weight off, not to live up to anybody else's expectations of what should or shouldn't be eaten, or how many grams of carbs is "really" low-carb or not. The question is simply: how's this working for me? That's part of learning maintenance.

Last edited by peanutte; 10-06-2010 at 02:57 PM..
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #28

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeAmy View Post
who eats it? what kind & what amount? did it/does it have a negative effect on your weight loss?

for the first time today, i had about 1/3 of an apple. it was delicious and very satisfying...it gave me the same satisfaction as a low carb treat (read: low carb junk) would.

*i* think it's better to have a bit of fruit here and there than to eat processed crap, low carb or not. what do you think?
I think fruit is definitely better than any processed foods. I am trying to stay in ketosis though so I'm avoiding all fruit right now. Even just a little fruit tends to knock me out.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quiet_observer
Stats: 5'9" 238/227/218/170
WOE: carbs < 40-80/day
Start Date: October 20, 2009
Yeah me too, I don't know what it is about bananas, I can just keep eating them. I like them more than M&M's. Maybe Darwin was on to something .
quiet_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #30
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: peachy
Stats: 213/164/150
Start Date: Too Long Ago
I second the opinion of eating fruit with protein or fat. I ate berries 3 times a week while I was losing. If I ate it alone though it would make me starving for more sugar!
peachy is offline   Reply With Quote