LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VeeJay
Stats: 150/143/125
WOE: VeryLowCarb - for diabetes control
Start Date: May 2010
Ketosis and "Atkins Flu"

I've been in ketosis (mostly) for a couple weeks now by eating very low carb and high fat. This is working very well for me as far as controlling blood-sugar levels.

However, I find that my energy level has diminished. I'm not sick or anything, just more tired and don't feel motivated to do much of anything - have to push myself.

Someone told me that this was "Atkins Flu" and that it lasts only a little while. It's been two weeks. When can I expect to be energized again?
VeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
The newest book out New Atkins For A New You notes that anyone eating under 50 net carbs would need extra sodium, and that just salting ones food is not adequate to help alleviate the ketosis symptoms.

The book recommends for people who are eating under 50 net carbs to eat a certain quantity of salt daily -

half teaspoon salt OR
2 cups broth/bouillon OR
2 T Soy Sauce

You can read the actual book pages that are relevant, right here:

The New Atkins for a New You: The ... - Google Books

I have been doing this when my carbs fall below 50 and find a HUGE difference in how I feel within an hour. When necessary, I have been doing the broth, 2 cups total, one in the morning and one in the afternoon ....

hth!!!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Pauline, thanks for your quick reply. I'll give the salt a try. I have been eating low salt for a few years now because of having elevated blood pressure, but it is now within the normal range (since going low carb).

I just had a cup of broth with added salt. This is a good test. Hoping that this is all there is to it.

VJ
Old 09-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #4

Veejay ... I think it will help some, maybe not all though. Did you also give up caffeine at the same time? I found that was a killer for me at the time as well.

Do you have access to a blood pressure cuff to make sure the salt is not affecting your bp adversely?! I am no doctor, but I imagine you should probably make sure before doing this regularly, kwim?! (it must say something to that effect in the book link I posted ..)

Best of luck!

Pauline
Old 09-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: macky
Stats: 185/168/135
WOE: gluten free, unprocessed, VLC
Start Date: September 2010
I've been pouring salt in my hand and licking it straight

I didn't realize that needing more salt was normal! But, then again, I've always loved salt.
macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
I'm not following Atkins exactly, but I'm intrigued. I think I need to buy the new book. It sounds interesting.
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK1974 View Post
I'm not following Atkins exactly, but I'm intrigued. I think I need to buy the new book. It sounds interesting.
I really like it ... I take my books out of the library and only buy worthy ones .. bought this one!

Pauline
Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
For me it never went away. Turns out I cannot go below 40 grams of carbs or I feel like that. Atkins says you should not feel icky and to go have more veggies or some nuts so I did and voila I felt better.

BTW: I figured this out after 3 weeks of feeling awful.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Interesting how everyone's different.

I will check my blood pressure, but don't think I'll ingest too much salt since I don't put salt on my food as a rule.

I'm eating very low carb for blood sugar control. If I go above 20g a day, the BG numbers go higher than I want. But will experiment with adding in more low-carb veggies - and cutting out the caffein (ugh - another fun food hits the dust!!!

I'm in this for life, so I have time to make adjustments. Could be I'll need to go on diabetic meds, but for now am trying to control with diet alone. It's been working so far.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macky View Post
I've been pouring salt in my hand and licking it straight

I didn't realize that needing more salt was normal! But, then again, I've always loved salt.
Your post made me remember something. Not too long ago I was eating sunflower seeds in the shell - and they are salty. I really like them because 1) not many carbs and one has to work at it to get to the seeds so eating is very slow, and 2) they satisfy the "munchies" in the evening.

I stopped because of the salt. And it wasn't too long after that, that I started being more sluggish.

I also was licking salt now and then.

Hmmmmm!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vikki1
tried

just done three weeks on the atkins, i become amazingly tried, keep falling asleep, did a 35 walk and it nearly killed me, i am normally full of energy, have increased my salt but still worn out, i was alright the first 3 weeks, also my weightloss has been slow
week 1 = 4lbs
week2 =0.8 of a lb
week 3- 1.6

how do you make this broth please x
vikki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Basic broth is made by simmering bones with cartledge and some meat in enough water to cover. I'll add onion, celery, and garlic - before LC would add carrots and more onion. I also will add marjorum to chicken and basil to beef. Simmer at least a couple hours. Strain and throw away the bones and other stuff - the meat will be tasteless by then anyway.

I'll also take the bones left after carving a roasted chicken and use this for making stock. Or, if I debone chicken breasts I'll boil the bones (with a little meat still on them) to make a little broth. I will freeze in an ice cube tray and then put in a baggie to use when wanted.

OR

Pour out a cup of Imagine Organic Free Range Chicken Broth. (I buy it at Whole Foods.)

Last edited by VeeJay; 09-19-2010 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki1 View Post
just done three weeks on the atkins, i become amazingly tried, keep falling asleep, did a 35 walk and it nearly killed me, i am normally full of energy, have increased my salt but still worn out, i was alright the first 3 weeks, also my weightloss has been slow
Are you in ketosis? I know switching from high carb to low carb eating can make one tired just because the body is having to adjust.

I haven't been trying to lose weight, but have done so as a result of the diet. The weight came down 10 pounds rather quickly, but then tapered off and even went up a couple pounds - this lasted 4-5 weeks, but then went down another 10 pounds a month later. I'm still losing, but at a very slow rate, like 1-2 pounds every couple weeks.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/166/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Hi VeeJay - I restarted my WOE in March of this year and I experienced the same thing you are describing - NO ENERGY! After several weeks of this and me thinking WOW what is wrong with me - I finally started reading some LC boards and re-reading my Atkins book. I ended up increasing my salt intake just a tad for a few days. I would keep salt packets in my desk, open one up, pour it in my palm and take just one little lick of it. Only once a day at lunchtime. I would immediately feel better. I did this for a few days and I guess my body finally adjusted. I don't it anymore because I feel fine now. And I only did it for maybe a week. You might try this!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
i don't follow atkins, but a year into low carb i started fainting. i was puzzled and alarmed by this and afraid it may be signaling some sort of serious illness. i went to the dr's, had a bunch of tests taken which all came back normal. she told me to add salt to my diet. i did it and haven't had a problem since!
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I had about a half tsp. of salt yesterday, and a few licks of salt today. I'm feeling better. Thank you to those who replied - it was just what I needed.