Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran54
one carb bread

I wanted to let everyone know that the delicious one carb per slice bread that everyone loves is now soy free! They use whey instead. YAY!!!!!!!!
I hope this makes everyone as happy as me. This opens up a new world of recipes....crab cakes, croutons, bread crumbs, french toast,grilled cheese...etc.
fran54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
what brand? where'd you get it?
gab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: juddinminime
Stats: 217 heaviest 5'9" 38yrs
WOE: lc/JUDDD
Start Date: Juddd start 1/1/12. 207/ 192.4 /159
Hmmm, I would like to know that info too.....
I never heard of such a thing?
juddinminime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

It is from the Julian Bakery. I know I've seen the pop ups advertising it here. It is called Smart Carb # 1. It is high fiber(12g), sprouted and high protein (12g) per slice. It is very good and supposedly freezes well. I hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Looks like it is a CA company. Darn! I'm over in NY so getting it here would mean having to eat it very quickly (it seems to spoil very quickly). Oh well....
gab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gab,
I heard that it freezes well. I think people order a few loaves at a time and stockpile them. I am going to try that... wrap it well and then put it in a ziploc bag. I know they ship them all over the place. They said it is their best selling bread.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JSmooth619
Stats: 230/200/160
Start Date: Nov. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
Looks like it is a CA company. Darn! I'm over in NY so getting it here would mean having to eat it very quickly (it seems to spoil very quickly). Oh well....
The company is here in San Diego, their bread is good. But, man does it give my cravings for CARBS! I cant eat it anymore.
JSmooth619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran54 View Post
It is from the Julian Bakery. I know I've seen the pop ups advertising it here. It is called Smart Carb # 1. It is high fiber(12g), sprouted and high protein (12g) per slice. It is very good and supposedly freezes well. I hope this helps.

The bread is truly not 1 carb. There is an interesting thread on this bread on another forum I post on-it turns out the info presented for the 1 carb bread is not even the nutritionals for that bread. The breadmakers are subsmitting samples to a lab agreed upon by the posters in this thread and the bread nutrients are going to be reevaluated.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Lisabinil could you please let us know the results? I am very curious to find out. When I did The Rosedale Diet he highly recommended another bread of theirs that was low carb. I think that he did not recommend the Smart Carb#1 because of the soy protein isolate. But he highly recommended the bakery. Do you know when the results will be given? Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #10

I'll keep you updated when they post more.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
If there is a great product, someone brilliant here on LCF will figure out the recipe! Im waiting to see what comes up!!
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #12

KevinPa has several great homemade lc bread recipes.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Interesting that I had just read Dana Carpenter's post on this same bread when I saw this. Many people apparently think the nutrition facts given for the bread are not correct. This is a real YMMV issue, I think. Some of us seem to have enzymes (or whatever they are) to digest various things while others don't.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1BellaDonna
Stats: Highest =202 (post-pregnancy 1 of 2)/142.6, 5'8"
WOE: LC, hcg, JUDDD
subscribing bc i'm very curious as to what the outcome to the study is. we have an albertson's nearby that sells it (According to the bakery's website) and i'd love to have the option every once in awhile...if it doesn't start the big cravings or drop me out of ketosis. thank you everyone who shared info!
1BellaDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #15

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
My post from yesterday apparently had a link in error, so I am copying the text from Dana Carpenter. I ran into this just before I read this thread:

I was trying to decide what to blog about today, toying with the idea of writing about chicken keeping and how cool it is, when I got an email from my long-time low carb cyberpal Kathy Miller. (I knew Kathy back in... what, '96? Back when nobody was low carb, and we were on an email support list. Remember email support lists?)
Kathy bought the Julian Bakery Smart Carb Bread and tested her blood sugar after eating it. She was, to say the least, unhappy with the results. She sent me her email exchange with Julian Bakery, and suggested I share it with you:
What's your name? * Kathleen Miller
What's your email address. *

So what can we do for you?

Last month I ordered 4 loaves of low carb bread from your bakery. I was SO EXCITED because it has been months since I have had bread. My blood sugar is too high and so is my husbands. The day I got the bread I had 1/2 of a piece at 4 PM in the afternoon. My blood sugar prior to eating it was 89 and 1 hour after it was 145!!!! It has taken me a month to get up my nerve to eat a piece again, so I did tonight- again a major spike in blood sugar. I have no idea WHAT you guys are putting in your bread for this to happen, but I am extremely disappointed in your product. I suggest you all do some MAJOR research on these issues. I will have to throw all this bread away.
Kathleen Miller
*Date: *August 31, 2010 9:06:34 PM EDT
*To: *kathy.miller@gmail.com
*Subject: **Re: Contact Julian Bakery [#310]*
I am not sure what to say to you as we did extensive testing with Type 2 Diabetics that had a minimal spike. You can read about one Type 2 Diabetics experience here: Plain Ol' Food: Julian Bakery's Smart Carb #1 Bread Review
Two weeks ago we also changed our recipe for the Smart Carb bread adding Inulin to minimize any sort of blood sugar spike.
I am sorry you had an the experience that you did and would be more than glad to send you a free loaf of our new
Smart Carb Bread to see if you do well on it.
Please provide your address and I will send you some tomorrow you want as we tested our Smart Carb # 1 bread extensively with Type 2 Diabetics.
Thank You!
Kathy's email to me:
I've been reading online on several places that this bread is causing BG spikes just like mine. Makes me angry that this bakery is charging what they are for a loaf of bread and it obviously has ISSUES! What DOES one do with this kind of info? One gives it to Dana! :-))) Kathy
So I am duly reporting Kathy's experience, and many thanks to her for the valuable feedback. This is how the low carb community protects its members.
Two thoughts:
1) While my blood sugar rose more than the labeled claim for carb content would have predicted after I tried the Julian Bakery Smart Carb Bread #1 (and my original calculations were embarrassingly inaccurate), it did not rise nearly as much as it would have with standard bread, even whole grain bread. I am not a diabetic; this may make a difference. But it also indicates that this is very likely a "your mileage may vary" issue.
2) I know from the reports I have gotten from people testing their blood sugar after eating Dreamfield's pasta that not only do the results vary from person to person, but that often the same person got differing results on different occasions, and especially depending on what else they had eaten. That Kathy got a big blood sugar spike from this bread twice says to me that she'd best not eat it at all. But it's possible that some folks may find that the Julian Bakery bread works for them under some circumstances, or as an occasional treat. Me, I have long treated all low carb bread as a treat item, eating it far less frequently than once a month.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mstigerlily
Stats: 170/152/140
Start Date: 9/1/10
Hmmm. I'm in San Diego too and it's funny I just saw that in the store today and bought it, decided to freeze it to eat later. Couldn't resist breaking off a tiny piece to taste, I mean just a nibble. Although it actually very good, dense and thick, it tasted very "doughy" to me. I actually spit most of the small bite out because it tasted so dense and doughy like bread sticks or pizza crust does. I think I will keep it in the freezer for a month or so, then maybe just have a slice now and then for a treat. I don't trust it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran54 View Post
I wanted to let everyone know that the delicious one carb per slice bread that everyone loves is now soy free! They use whey instead. YAY!!!!!!!!
I hope this makes everyone as happy as me. This opens up a new world of recipes....crab cakes, croutons, bread crumbs, french toast,grilled cheese...etc.
170/152/140 - I still lost 18 lbs!
mstigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote