LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Hair Falling Out!

My hair has definitely started to fall out these last few weeks !

I only have to run my hand through my hair and I'm left with a significant number in my hand. My boss plucked some hairs off my jacket the other day and said "you're moulting"! Cleaning the shower in the morning has become such a chore!

I don't know how concerned I should be - the research I've done suggests that this is not all that uncommon in people who lose a fair bit of weight (have lost maybe 40-50lbs over the last 6 months, with at least as much to go), and it should sort itself out in a few months.

Other folk suggest taking Biotin, but I'm not sure how much of this to take for hairloss.

I wondered if anybody has experienced the same thing, and if so what did you do about it (if anything)?

Any suggestions most welcome!

I don't want to lose weight, only to end up a baldy!
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jacky_ks
WOE: Low carb low cal
Thyroid, hormones, stress.

My hair fell out like crazy about 4 months after my divorce...I think it takes awhile after a big stressful event to kick in or something. The only thing you can do is have your thyroid and hormones checked to see if you need to be on meds. Otherwise, it is probably temporary.
jacky_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
After I gave birth, both times, my hair fell out like crazy!

I'm interested to see if anyone comments.......My hair has thinned too- and seems to go through periods of it falling out. Not sure if it is genetic or diet related for me......or stress, there's always that!
B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
My hair has been thinning for the past 9 years. It started with thyroid issues. It seems like it's pretty difficult to get correctly diagnosed with a thyroid problem, but I finally found a doctor who was willing to look beyond those God sanctioned "normal ranges" for thyroid. But I had tons of other symptoms, the worst being extreme fatigue, so bad that I never felt rested and would nap 6-8 times a day. And I was always freezing. And I put on 20 pounds without changing a thing with my diet or exercise. Medication helped somewhat, but I've never had the hair I used to. It seems to cycle. Sometimes I have more, sometimes less.

I've been under extreme stress for the past 2 years in addition to having a stressful job. My hair is the worst now that it's ever been. My endocrinologist really doesn't think it's a thyroid problem now, he thinks it's hormonal and has prescribed me estrogen. I'm 45. I'm nervous about that, but not sure what my options are.

I know lots of people swear by biotin on here, but I tried it for 8 months and saw no new growth. Evening primrose oil seemed to help the most, but even that's not great now. It seemed to me that a typical dose of biotin according to the people on this board was 5000mcg.

Give the biotin a try. And evening primrose oil too. All of my best to you. I know how distressing it is. And the worst part is that no doctor seems to think it's a big deal.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Mine fell out like crazy for about a year!! Hairdressers would freak when it would come out in their hand .. you can take vitamins, etc. but I think your body just needs to adjust. My advice is not to worry about it and just keep doing what you are doing. 50-60 pounds is big stuff! Of course your body needs to adjust!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #6

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
I had the hair issue when I tried LC in 2003. This time, I started taking Biotin as soon as I started LC, and didn't have any issues... until I got out of the habit of taking my vitamins after we went on vacation mid-July, and I started having the hair falling out problem 3 weeks ago. I'm taking them regularly now again, hopefully it will stop soon.
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
When I first started low carb and started losing weight, I also started losing hair. I tried biotin, but it didn't help the hair issue. It lasted for more than 6 months and then stopped. I've seen many people here with that problem and it's usually temporary.
But you may want to have your thyroid checked just in case there's more going on than just your body adjusting.
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blueangel
Mine has been falling out since May despite years of biotin, vitamins B and D, and hair vitamins. I recently increased the fat in my diet to see if that would make a difference but all to no avail. I'm tempted to try Rogaine but I've read that if you start it you have to use it for life. Does anyone know if it disrupts the normal growth pattern of hair?

Last edited by blueangel; 08-25-2010 at 05:41 PM..
blueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TammySue
Stats: 260/160/140 - 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2005 (restarted 08/23/2010 at 210)
Don't panic. You may just be going through a shed which is normal at certain times in your hair growing cycle. Mine is shedding more than normal right now. I take GNC's Hair, Skin and Nails (which has biotin) and find that it does help. Try not to stress about it.
TammySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lisaerinqt04
Stats: 22/8/4 (-98lbs!)(5'4" & 153lbs) Measures 38-26-39
WOE: '72/Gluten Free
Start Date: 1/1/2010 - "Don't Look Back"
I experience significant hair loss in certain times in my cycle, so I guess it's hormonal. I am fortunate though because my hair is so thick you can't really tell I've lost any. I've heard Biotin works wonders for this, though. It's worth a try.
lisaerinqt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
i'm losing a lot of hair too and have been for quite awhile.
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Have you started any hormone replacement ? (i don't know your age). Mine started falling out when my hormone replacement depressed my thyroid. I take 5000 of biotin, have heard good things about evening primrose and zinc also. Get some hormone levels drawn including thyroid. Especially if you are over 37.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #13

Gallery: fawn
Change of diet, stress, thyroid.....

I find that a couple of things are in need of looking at

How is your omega 3 fatty acid intake?
Biotin can be a deficiency here....how is your B vitamin intake?
Silica works nicely for re-growth as does MSM
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, everybody, for your contribution and advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post

Thanks, fawn. I take Krill Oil (and CLA/GLA) so I think my Omega 3 & 6 should be ok (not that I really know what I'm talking about ). Plus a multivitamin as below, which seems to have Bs in it. Would you recommend anything extra?

I've never heard of Silica or MSM :blush:, so thanks for the pointer on that - I will do some research on these .

I have to admit, my vegetable intake is pretty poor (for example, I only ate about 75g mushrooms yesterday, half a tomato, and no other veg. It's worse than usual, but not untypical). Maybe I should up the veggies a bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Have you started any hormone replacement ? (i don't know your age).
No, I'm not doing any hormone replacement. I'm 38, and low carb (or losing weight) seems to have made my cycle much more regular than it was previously. I do have PMS problems for the last 2 weeks of my cycle, but that's not a low-carb development (I've always had wonky hormones in that respect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeAmy View Post
i'm losing a lot of hair too and have been for quite awhile.
Hopefully it'll get back to normal for us both soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel View Post
I'm tempted to try Rogaine but I've read that if you start it you have to use it for life. Does anyone know if it disrupts the normal growth pattern of hair?
Sorry to hear about your own problem with this. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, blueangel, but hopefully somebody will come along with some advice on Rogaine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJ View Post
When I first started low carb and started losing weight, I also started losing hair. I tried biotin, but it didn't help the hair issue. It lasted for more than 6 months and then stopped. I've seen many people here with that problem and it's usually temporary.
But you may want to have your thyroid checked just in case there's more going on than just your body adjusting.
Thanks for the reassurance, Ruby, that's good to know. I'd read aout the 6 months thing elsewhere - lets just hope there's still plenty left by the end of the year ! I don't think I have any other thyroid symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Mine fell out like crazy for about a year!! Hairdressers would freak when it would come out in their hand .. you can take vitamins, etc. but I think your body just needs to adjust. My advice is not to worry about it and just keep doing what you are doing. 50-60 pounds is big stuff! Of course your body needs to adjust!
Thanks, Pauline, I'm trying not to panic. By the way, I have to ask (), who, or what, is on the receiving end of a 'TaDa! Cuddle', in your new avatar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPop View Post
After I gave birth, both times, my hair fell out like crazy!
Gosh, now you come to mention it, a similar thing happened to a friend of mine during pregnancy / immediately post-pregnancy (eczema cleared up, but her hair fell out). She never lets her kids forget it .

The message I'm taking is, don't worry, it'll probably correct itself in a few months. Don't invest in a wig just yet! In the meantime, look into Biotin, Sillica, MSM & Zinc. If any other symptoms of a thyroid problem appear, I'll get myself to the GP.

Last edited by clanger; 08-25-2010 at 11:18 PM..
Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Change of diet, stress, thyroid.....

Good to know! My hair is falling out/thinning. I am already on B vitamins and Biotin. Will try to incorporate my Cod Liver Oil again and will check out silica.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I have phases of hairloss, and at the end of summer it usually is really bad! I have now incorporated shampoo with Biotin (all natural, maybe H&B carry something similar) and I take biotin and silica. My hair and nails grow really fast now, and I always have a lot of new hairs coming through. It takes a while to see results, for me it took around three weeks to notice less hairloss, but the supplements are cheap so worth the time and money if the results are so positive!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bungle
Stats: -11/50
Start Date: March 2010
I had horrible issues with hairloss earlier in the year. All I could do was cry and I was just an emotional wreck. Its hard as a woman to see your hair just coming out by the handfulls. First of all see a dr and your thyroid and iron, including a ferritin panel, tested. If this is an issue of your hormones or your nutrient levels being off it won't stop. Just in case get checked.
Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger View Post
.... Thanks, Pauline, I'm trying not to panic. By the way, I have to ask (), who, or what, is on the receiving end of a 'TaDa! Cuddle', in your new avatar ? ....
Ok, now you will laugh .. and since it is your thread, I won't be hijacking ... I was cuddling the fat lady in the lobby of our hotel in Costa Rica:

Apparently they like us big girls, because the first was just outside that hotel and the second one was in nearby San Jose:

I felt quite at home! I bet you're sorry you asked ..

Pauline

Last edited by TaDa!; 08-26-2010 at 05:20 AM..
Old 08-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: can't weight
Stats: 236.6/172.2/135-150
WOE: Atkins NANY -extended induction
Start Date: 29/04/10
I'm thread jacking now- but don't you love being in countries where curvier women are considered more beautiful than thin women? Not sure if I do it consciously but I always tend to vacation in places like that- makes be feel better in a bathing suit.
can't weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #20

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
OMG mine is too and its embarressing! Several times this week I found a piece of my hair on my plate or on the counter ...Husband got very annoyed with me. I now pull my hair back in a poney tail to avoid loose hair when I'm in the kitchen I take suppliments and biotin so I don't know what else to do.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I have always had hair on the thin, fine side. I started losing weight, low carbing in May of '09 and by August I had noticeable hair loss. Especially on the top of my head, where I can pull a bang from, and often do to cover the bareness. If my hair is not real fluffy, is flat, you can see a large coin-size bald spot. I have some short hairs that looks like I'm having some areas of regrowth. I have been on Biotin for over a year and recently doubled the Biotin, plus am taking Silica. I don't see a difference.

I think, tho', that I may have an autoimmune hair loss, as I have a sister who has the same thing going on. Hers started a few years ago, and she doesn't and hasn't low carbed. There is nothing I can do besides what I am doing if this is true. I just have to wait it out, and my hair may or may not come back.

It is distressing, of course, but it happens. I saw the current Miss America on TV one day not that long ago, and she has this too. She's bald under her wig, and has had the problem since an early teen. I don't feel so all alone anymore.....there must be many people suffering from this.....

I too lost hair with my first pregnancy, and also after a surgery, but it came back both times. I believe any shock to the body can cause it, but most people DO get their hair back once the body adjusts. That's what the research I've done has indicated.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
I've always had lots of hair breakage, and some shedding. I began taking Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins (I think the Rite Aid brand. They're green pills) about 3 months ago, and my hair got so long. There's a lot less breakage and shedding.
Kisha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was cuddling the fat lady in the lobby of our hotel in Costa Rica

Quote:

I felt quite at home! I bet you're sorry you asked ..

Where did you get my 'before' picture from? How dare you post my image without permission !

Thanks for clarifying, Pauline, I kept trying to imagine what (or who) on earth it was that you were hugging! Hope you had a great time !

And if all my hair falls out and I take to comfort eating to ease the pain, gaining all the weight I've lost, at least I know that I can move to Costa Rica and be welcomed with open, albeit slightly flabby, arms .

Mimosa23 and Kisha1976, thanks for the suggestions.

Bungle and girondet, sorry to hear that you've both had problems with hairloss. My iron is low, Bungle (according to ******) so I started taking iron supplements a while ago, but they seemed to bung me up in the bottom department *ahem*. I think I need to up my leafy green veg intake a bit (a lot!).

Last edited by clanger; 08-26-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #24

We.Will.Not.Let.U.Gain.And.Move.To.CostaRica.Fat.A nd.Bald.

Got it?

Pauline