Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Ricci_DOLL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North East Tennessee
Posts: 587
Gallery: Ricci_DOLL
Stats: 180/162/130 5'1"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Jan 2009 - Restart - Aug 2010
Carmalized peppers and onions high in carbs?

I stir fried some sausage, yellow and red peppers and some white onion today thinking I was preparing a tasty LC meal. Some of the veggies carmalized. They were SoOoOo good...too good! I can't find a carb count for cooked/carmalized peppers or onions.
Did I just sabotage myself?!?
Ricci_DOLL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ljguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,505
Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci_DOLL View Post
I stir fried some sausage, yellow and red peppers and some white onion today thinking I was preparing a tasty LC meal. Some of the veggies carmalized. They were SoOoOo good...too good! I can't find a carb count for cooked/carmalized peppers or onions.
Did I just sabotage myself?!?
Hi R-Doll…
Just figure the carbs for raw because they are not going to increase just by cooking them...but they sure do taste better that way to me!

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
WendyK1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,230
Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
I often wonder this myself. I made a roasted chicken the other day. I put some celery and carrots under and around the chicken. Those veggies were insanely heavenly. It made me think of stuffing.
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ljguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,505
Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK1974 View Post
I often wonder this myself. I made a roasted chicken the other day. I put some celery and carrots under and around the chicken. Those veggies were insanely heavenly. It made me think of stuffing.
Hi Wendy…
Low Carb eating has it's perks! And they did taste wonderful I bet...

There is a temptation to think ''It tastes so good, maybe it's bad for me! There is probably something wrong with it...''

Don't buy into that mentality. If you eat approved foods and stay within the limits, you are just fine and the food can taste great too!!

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
I know that my MIL is diabetic and we're not allowed to 'carmelize' onions...because the sugar content goes up. I'm not diabetic, and I LOVE some italian sausage with carmelized onions and peppers...and have eaten them throughout my weightloss, as well as maintenance. Hasn't bothered my progress at all. But...a heads up to those with severe diabetes...carmelized onions aren't a good thing for the blood sugar.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
WendyK1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,230
Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Wendy…
Low Carb eating has it's perks! And they did taste wonderful I bet...

There is a temptation to think ''It tastes so good, maybe it's bad for me! There is probably something wrong with it...''

Don't buy into that mentality. If you eat approved foods and stay within the limits, you are just fine and the food can taste great too!!

So true. I often thinK.."I can lose weight with this stuff?!"
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Looweewoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,328
Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Sweet peppers and onions are both relatively high in carbs but I guess it depends on how much you ate.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Only you know the carb level you can eat at right now, but in my opinion (like the others) there is nothing wrong with eating these yummy veggies like that. Just be aware that they cook down a lot, so don't be eating such a big helping of them without being aware that it might have been THREE TIMES that amount before they cooked down. LOL

I fix those long very slim green beans with long slices of sweet red pepper and slices of onion, and cook it all down and caramelize it all in butter and olive oil. Very yummy indeed!

Last edited by SoHappy; 08-21-2010 at 05:11 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Speck333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,186
Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I'm no chemist, but I think it would qualify as alchemy to say that somehow the cooking process causes sugar to appear in a substance when that sugar wasn't already there to begin with. What this kind of cooking does, this caramelizing, is to cause the naturally occurring, already-there sugars to be brought out to the surface and brown a bit.
I guess I can see how this might be an issue for diabetics since it would be a quick hit of sugars, but the same amounts of sugars were already in the onions/peppers/whatever to begin with.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
I'm no chemist, but I think it would qualify as alchemy to say that somehow the cooking process causes sugar to appear in a substance when that sugar wasn't already there to begin with. What this kind of cooking does, this caramelizing, is to cause the naturally occurring, already-there sugars to be brought out to the surface and brown a bit.
I guess I can see how this might be an issue for diabetics since it would be a quick hit of sugars, but the same amounts of sugars were already in the onions/peppers/whatever to begin with.
Yes. I think the problem some may have is when they eat the raw onion, they don't eat very much. Just a sprinkle in their salad or on their hotdog.

But when they eat caramelized onions as a dish, or even added to other foods, they may well eat a whole lot more, so be getting a lot larger portion of actual onion, with the related carbs/sugars.

Big difference in the actual amount of onion consumed from a 1/2 cup serving of raw onion and a 1/2 cup serving of 'cooked-down' caramelized onion.

Last edited by SoHappy; 08-21-2010 at 05:50 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Speck333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,186
Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Big difference in the actual amount of onion consumed from a 1/2 cup serving of raw onion and a 1/2 cup serving of 'cooked-down' caramelized onion.
Very true, very true.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,655
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I've asked this question before, in a different way. I think there is an increase in the availability of the carbs in the caramelized vegetables, at the very least. But I haven't found any convincing evidence one way or the other.

I find onions pretty high to use much of in any case.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!
 
D0ughB0y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 20,183
Gallery: D0ughB0y
WOE: low carb -DoughKins
Ok. I'm going to go a little nerd here, but I'm going to keep it at a high level. If you really want the whole deal with the food chemistry, there are some great resources... but this subject comes up a lot. Caramelized onion "jam" happens to be one of my favorite things ever, so that helps too.

The process of caramelization is an interesting process. I've tried to do a bunch of reading on this subject and I think I have the hang of it, but I could be way off. Perhaps some PhDs in food science or Chemistry folks can correct me if I'm way off. When I started getting into cooking, there is a lot of talk about caramelization and Mailard reaction... but I digress.

There are many factors that affect how the onion will actually tates. Two major factors are the sulfurs and the sugars.

What is really going on here is that you're breaking down the sulfurs that give the pungent, bitter flavors that most associate with a raw onion while you're also breaking down the sugars into the simpler, sweeter component sugars.

I personally don't like to go with a quick sautee, but rather a lower heat over long period of time. As the onions cook they'll start to break down and that wonderful nutty sweetness appears with a tan color getting darker.

What does this mean to you, OP? I think that this means that just like any other method of processing sugars (carbs), it means that caramelization of onions makes them worse for a way of eating like Atkins because the sugars are more readily digested and will hit your blood sugar/insulin levels faster.
__________________
-Dough

*Unless specifically noted and cited as fact, the above comments are my opinion.

...and a dead trout.

I found something interesting in Doughboy's popcorn bucket.-Emel
D0ughB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #14
the condiment queen
 
pooticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 21,476
Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
DoughBoy great explanation! Bioavailability of the sugars is it exactly. It's also that 1 Tbsp of Caramellized Onions and 1 Tbsp of Raw Onions takes up different amounts of space just as LJ said. So not only are you eating something that will hit your blood stream quickly, but usually, you're eating more than you realize! That 1 Tbsp of onions may have started out closer to 1/3c of onions.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ljguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,505
Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ughB0y View Post
...What does this mean to you, OP? I think that this means that just like any other method of processing sugars (carbs), it means that caramelization of onions makes them worse for a way of eating like Atkins because the sugars are more readily digested and will hit your blood sugar/insulin levels faster.
Hi DB…
I've never considered blood sugars when eating low carb. I have eaten many sautéd and carmelized onions and peppers.

If a person is attempting super-low-carb or near-zero plans, then onions and peppers would just not fall into their schemes. But for most of us, a 1/4 cup chopped raw onions (2-3 net carbs) or 1/2 cup chopped green pepper (2.5 net carbs) should just be accounted for and then cooked.

Why would it be any different than eating broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or any other vegetable no matter how we cook them unless there are diabetic issues involved. There are days I have not had many carbs all day that I fix a 12 oz steak and then cook up a good sized serving of onions, peppers, mushrooms, squash to top it with.

I know how many carbs they are and choose to spend my daily allowance on them. They taste so wonderful it's a worth while usage of them for me.



__________________
Larry J

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
WendyK1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,230
Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
I totally don't have this problem since I'm allergic to onions.
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!
 
JustCallMeAmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,630
Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
they *are* higher in carbs, but the way i see it is if i have to sweat it over veggies, i will never stay at this. i realize there are many people out there who are more sensitve to carbs than i am, but *for me* worrying about something so healthy and delcious like your dinner, would never work!

i may not have had the fastest weight loss in history, but the key is sticking to it and i think having a relaxed attitude (with things like veggies, not products lol) makes it easier to stay on track. less stress about counting!
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeAmy View Post
they *are* higher in carbs, but the way i see it is if i have to sweat it over veggies, i will never stay at this. i realize there are many people out there who are more sensitve to carbs than i am, but *for me* worrying about something so healthy and delcious like your dinner, would never work!

i may not have had the fastest weight loss in history, but the key is sticking to it and i think having a relaxed attitude (with things like veggies, not products lol) makes it easier to stay on track. less stress about counting!
Good attitude. Of everything in the world, it probably wasn't the vegetables that made me fat.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!
 
JustCallMeAmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,630
Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Good attitude. Of everything in the world, it probably wasn't the vegetables that made me fat.
same here! unless you can count veggie pizza or egg rolls as "vegetables"
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeAmy View Post
same here! unless you can count veggie pizza or egg rolls as "vegetables"
Boy, I'd sure like to.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!
 
D0ughB0y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 20,183
Gallery: D0ughB0y
WOE: low carb -DoughKins
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi DB…
I've never considered blood sugars when eating low carb. I have eaten many sautéd and carmelized onions and peppers.

If a person is attempting super-low-carb or near-zero plans, then onions and peppers would just not fall into their schemes. But for most of us, a 1/4 cup chopped raw onions (2-3 net carbs) or 1/2 cup chopped green pepper (2.5 net carbs) should just be accounted for and then cooked.

Why would it be any different than eating broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or any other vegetable no matter how we cook them unless there are diabetic issues involved. There are days I have not had many carbs all day that I fix a 12 oz steak and then cook up a good sized serving of onions, peppers, mushrooms, squash to top it with.

I know how many carbs they are and choose to spend my daily allowance on them. They taste so wonderful it's a worth while usage of them for me.
The most simple answer I can give without writing a book is: Because carbs don't equal carbs. This is illustrated by the glycemic index and the reintroduction of carbs after induction (in OWL) through the ladder process for Atkins.

Replacing 10g of straight glucose carbs with 10g of carbs from broccoli isn't the same thing. Each will be digested, hit the blood stream, and affect the insulin levels of a person differently.

There are tons and tons of methods to lose weight. With all of the variations of 'low carb' out there, there are a lot of people doing things that 'work'.

I think that one of the most important things in adopting a new lifestyle is trying to understand exactly why & how they work. When things stop working or are working really good, I can look at what I'm doing/eating and try to think through it.

Doing further reading by Atkins and other low carb plans that discuss and use glycemic index would be most helpful in a complete explanation that you might be looking for.
D0ughB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member
 
Ricci_DOLL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North East Tennessee
Posts: 587
Gallery: Ricci_DOLL
Stats: 180/162/130 5'1"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Jan 2009 - Restart - Aug 2010
Sheesh...this was not an easy yes or no kinda question! Thanks for all the insight.
I am not going for a zero carb diet, but I am one of those individuals that doesn't lose when I eat 30 carbs or more a day-sad but true. Therefore, I didn't want to be turning a 15 carb meal into a 50 carb meal without even knowing it.
Ricci_DOLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #23
Atkins Ambassador
 
sugarless4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 14,195
Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
I agree with Larry and Amy. I don't sweat over how I eat my vegetables. IMO, nobody got fat from eating healthy vegetables (non-starchy ones, that is).

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!
 
SugarPop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,604
Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Hey D0ughB0y,

Thanks so much for all the time you took to explain "why and how things work" I love knowing the science behind things. Being ignorant about something leaves room for false information.

B

Last edited by SugarPop; 08-23-2010 at 07:21 AM..
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member
 
Ricci_DOLL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North East Tennessee
Posts: 587
Gallery: Ricci_DOLL
Stats: 180/162/130 5'1"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Jan 2009 - Restart - Aug 2010
Yes doughboy, thank you. We can all teach eachother about something or another. I've read Atkins, but some things I just need further explaining on.

Larry J, *high five*
Ricci_DOLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #26
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Yep, I'm a 'how and why' kind of gal. And that's why the book "Protein Power" made the lightbulb come on for me. I'd read Atkins (the original and the '72 version) and it made sense, but it wasn't QUITE enough 'how and why'...but Protein Power REALLY got through to me.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #27
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Suffolk, ENGLAND
Posts: 189
Gallery: Ground
Stats: 322/198/185
WOE: Paleo with Neolithic elements!
Start Date: 2007
When I first started VLC I was really surprised how many carbs were in sweet peppers and onions. I've now virtually eliminated them from my day to day diet because of it.
Ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,984
Gallery: flatferenghi
i am diabetic and i do VLC....

so i do watch my consumption of onions...never more than 1 thin slice a day, raw or cooked. same for bell peppers, regardless of the color. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.