Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
AAAAAAAAARGH!!! How to stick with it?!?!?

I KNOW LOW CARB IS THE ANSWER FOR ME!!!

Why can't I stick with it?!?!?!? I've tried Jenny Craig, low fat, low cal, massive exercising, etc - and NEVER have as much success (or lowest weights) as when I low carb....but here I sit again at almost 200 pounds (had been down into the mid-170's early this year!

I FEEL best when I low-carb! I LOOK best when I low-carb!

So why the foo do I fall so drastically off the wagon (I've done this over and over again for the past, oh, 10 years!)

I reach a point where I'm happy with how I look (I'm 5'9"), and then think "oh, I can cheat this one time with this pizza or cake or cookies, or whatever" and it turns in to a month long pizza/cake/cookie binge!!!!!

Gonna start back at in on Monday - just need some LONG TERM advice/encouragement.....thanks!

Sandy
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: D0ughB0y
WOE: low carb -DoughKins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelio View Post
I KNOW LOW CARB IS THE ANSWER FOR ME!!!

Why can't I stick with it?!?!?!? I've tried Jenny Craig, low fat, low cal, massive exercising, etc - and NEVER have as much success (or lowest weights) as when I low carb....but here I sit again at almost 200 pounds (had been down into the mid-170's early this year!

So why the foo do I fall so drastically off the wagon (I've done this over and over again for the past, oh, 10 years!)

I reach a point where I'm happy with how I look (I'm 5'9"), and then think "oh, I can cheat this one time with this pizza or cake or cookies, or whatever" and it turns in to a month long pizza/cake/cookie binge!!!!!

Gonna start back at in on Monday - just need some LONG TERM advise/encouragement.....thanks!

Sandy
You can't stick with it because you're not really making true lifestyle changes. You're just making temporary changes and reverting back to the same old thing.

To really make this work, it has to be a permanent change. A choice that you make to sever the old habits and form new, good ones.
D0ughB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #3

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Maybe you need the structure of a lc plan. I would suggest Jonny Bowden's newest book-he goes over several lc woes-maybe one will appeal to your tastes and eating lifestyle. If you keep doing something over and over for that long of a time it's time to reassess. Don't give up!
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
For some people it takes past success and failures to realize what to NOT do.
I read that an average smoker quits 9 times before they are finally successful, it may be the same for (some) dieters as well.
I've been Low-carbing since 1995, on and off.... I come back because i KNOW, without a doubt, that this is the best way for me to lose. It finally clicked for me. I've heard it over and over again....when it "clicks" you will know and its then that you will make this your true WOE for life.

Try using some Visualizations to put yourself in the right frame of mind. Also try some daily positive thinking.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #5

Gallery: flatferenghi
there are those of us that can enjoy a "cheat" &

get right back on the horse. And, there are those of us that cannot. I fall into the 2nd group. I must assume that u do as well. No shame in that. I swear by the aforementioned book: LIVING LOW CARB. Chapter 7 incl over 30 plans which involve some sort of carb retriction. Not all are as austere as ATKINS. There is much else in there aside from ch 7. It is very recommended reading. Best of luck choosing a plan that fits YOUR NEEDS. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:

So why the foo do I fall so drastically off the wagon (I've done
this over and over again for the past, oh, 10 years!)

If I had the answer I'd be rich. - 95% recidivism.

But you can't quit.

Finding the 'right' plan; then deciding it's worth it.
You are worth it.
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: juddinminime
Stats: 217 heaviest 5'9" 38yrs
WOE: lc/JUDDD
Start Date: Juddd start 1/1/12. 207/ 192.4 /159
Sandelio We are the same height, and I was 200 at the beginning of the year for the first time ever@!
I too have been a yo-yo low carber:blush:Loose the weight and gain some and if not more back
Sorry dont have the answers for you but a bigback!
The scales go down from here
juddinminime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #8

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Sandy: High carbs are not your friend..I look at them as "poison" that makes me gain weight. It is a choice..eat pizza and gain weight..You make the choice. However,
you are probably a carboholic..(I am, too). You can't just have one..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #9

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Well, then I guess you have figured out what you cannot afford to do. Right? Some people can have certain higher-carb foods without going completely off-plan; others cannot. If you have proven time and time again that you cannot, maybe you need to ask yourself if you can accept that--in the same way that sober alcoholics accept that they simply cannot have "just one" or people who are allergic to shrimp cannot have "just one". Do you think that's true for you?
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Ohhhh - all good points - which were the smack upside the head I was looking for!

But Mzzzzz Peanutte, GOOOOD analogy! "Like alcoholism"........or herion to a druggie - to whom I would say "stop it!" (I know it's not that easy for real.)

Why DO the carbs taste/feel so good???? I guess I don't need to be able to explain that any better than an alcoholic can explain his cravings for booze - I just need to know that I'm stronger/better than that and "stop it"!

*whew* - okay - discouraged (in a good way) with myself and ready to take charge. All I need is for someone to tell me I "can't do it" - and my personality will have to prove them wrong - LOL!

Thanks all!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #11

Gallery: fawn
I think it's important to understand just how degrading processed foods are to the human frame and deciding what kind of healthier food choices you can make or conversely, realizing how you might be able to fit one day a week of off plan eating in without derailing yourself. The body is better equipped to handle one off meal if the rest of your plan is in order. Most don't understand this though and think "what the heck" I've already damaged myself, let's keep eating. You must have some sort of resolve with yourself and you're going to have to face this for a life time. I wish you well!

Failing to plan is planning to fail as the old saying goes.

Quote:
Why DO the carbs taste/feel so good???? I guess I don't need to be able to explain that any better than an alcoholic can explain his cravings for booze - I just need to know that I'm stronger/better than that and "stop it"!
Your reward center in the brain works over time with dopamine!

Last edited by fawn; 08-18-2010 at 10:34 AM..
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
KLH
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KLH
Stats: 260/257/115-125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: August 19, 2010
Because it has been determined in scientific studies that sugar is more addictive and damaging to the brain/body than heroin and cocaine.

We have to look at this from the standpoint that sugar/flour addiction is as serious as heroin addiction and that we can't have just one more bite.

When you're down on yourself, just remember that sugar is MORE ADDICTIVE THAN HEROIN and ask yourself if you'd sit down and shoot up just once to try it out. If you said no way, then think about sugar/carbs in the same way.

I read that with sugar addiction, it takes up to ONE YEAR for the brain to completely heal and be able to start producing it's own "feel good" hormones in decent quantities again. We fry our brains with overstimulation of cocaine and heroin, and sugar does the same thing.

I'll post a cool list of damaging effects sugar has on the body.

Maybe we all need to start thinking about refined carbs as a disease and serious addiction instead of just a bad choice in food. I'm having the same difficulties as you!
KLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

oh Fawn - I just clicked thru to your twitter link and saw the following:

"Don't let your sweet tooth dictate your dietary choices. Satiety is key to diet and key to satiety is fat"

Sweeeet! Well, no, that would mean sugary! But I love that quote! That along with my old mantra "eat the doughy stuff if you wanna continue LOOKING doughy" should help me off to a good start!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
KLH
Junior LCF Member

Well, got an IM saying I can't post the list of reasons not to eat sugar so I'll put them here...I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm posting a list of reasons not to eat sugar that I found on the web.

1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.

2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in the body.

3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.

4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.

5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases).

6. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function, the more sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you loose.

7. Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins.

8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.

9 Sugar leads to cancer of the ovaries.

10. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose.

11. Sugar causes copper deficiency.

12. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.

13. Sugar can weaken eyesight.

14. Sugar raises the level of a neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine.

15. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.

16. Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract.

17. Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children.

18. Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.

19. Sugar can cause premature aging.

20. Sugar can lead to alcoholism.

21. Sugar can cause tooth decay.

22. Sugar contributes to obesity

23. High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.

24. Sugar can cause changes frequently found in person with gastric or duodenal ulcers.

25. Sugar can cause arthritis.

26. Sugar can cause asthma.

27. Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections).

28. Sugar can cause gallstones.

29. Sugar can cause heart disease.

30. Sugar can cause appendicitis.

31. Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis.

32. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.

33. Sugar can cause varicose veins.

34. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.

35. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.

36. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.

37. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.

38. Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.

39. Sugar can lower the amount of Vitamin E (alpha-Tocopherol in the blood.

40. Sugar can decrease growth hormone.

41. Sugar can increase cholesterol.

42. Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.

43. Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.

44. High sugar intake increases advanced glycation end products (AGEs)(Sugar bound non-enzymatically to protein)

45. Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.

46. Sugar causes food allergies.

47. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.

48. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.

49. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.

50. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.

51. Sugar can impair the structure of DNA

52. Sugar can change the structure of protein.

53. Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.

54. Sugar can cause cataracts.

55. Sugar can cause emphysema.

56. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.

57. Sugar can promote an elevation of low density lipoproteins (LDL).

58. High sugar intake can impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in the body.

59. Sugar lowers the enzymes ability to function.

60. Sugar intake is higher in people with Parkinson’s disease.

61. Sugar can cause a permanent altering the way the proteins act in the body.

62. Sugar can increase the size of the liver by making the liver cells divide.

63. Sugar can increase the amount of liver fat.

64. Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.

65. Sugar can damage the pancreas.

66. Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.

67. Sugar is enemy #1 of the bowel movement.

68. Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness).

69. Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.

70. Sugar can make the tendons more brittle.

71. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraine.

72. Sugar plays a role in pancreatic cancer in women.

73. Sugar can adversely affect school children's grades and cause learning disorders..

74. Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves.

75. Sugar can cause depression.

76. Sugar increases the risk of gastric cancer.

77. Sugar and cause dyspepsia (indigestion).

78. Sugar can increase your risk of getting gout.

79. Sugar can increase the levels of glucose in an oral glucose tolerance test over the ingestion of complex carbohydrates.

80. Sugar can increase the insulin responses in humans consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.

81 High refined sugar diet reduces learning capacity.

82. Sugar can cause less effective functioning of two blood proteins, albumin, and lipoproteins, which may reduce the body’s ability to handle fat and cholesterol.

83. Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.

84. Sugar can cause platelet adhesiveness.

85. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some hormones become underactive and others become overactive.

86. Sugar can lead to the formation of kidney stones.

87. Sugar can lead to the hypothalamus to become highly sensitive to a large variety of stimuli.

88. Sugar can lead to dizziness.

89. Diets high in sugar can cause free radicals and oxidative stress.

90. High sucrose diets of subjects with peripheral vascular disease significantly increases platelet adhesion.

91. High sugar diet can lead to biliary tract cancer.

92. Sugar feeds cancer.

93. High sugar consumption of pregnant adolescents is associated with a twofold increased risk for delivering a small-for-gestational-age (SGA) infant.

94. High sugar consumption can lead to substantial decrease in gestation duration among adolescents.

95. Sugar slows food's travel time through the gastrointestinal tract.

96. Sugar increases the concentration of bile acids in stools and bacterial enzymes in the colon. This can modify bile to produce cancer-causing compounds and colon cancer.

97. Sugar increases estradiol (the most potent form of naturally occurring estrogen) in men.

98. Sugar combines and destroys phosphatase, an enzyme, which makes the process of digestion more difficult.

99. Sugar can be a risk factor of gallbladder cancer.

100. Sugar is an addictive substance.

101. Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.

102. Sugar can exacerbate PMS.

103. Sugar given to premature babies can affect the amount of carbon dioxide they produce.

104. Decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability.

105. The body changes sugar into 2 to 5 times more fat in the bloodstream than it does starch.

106. The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in obese subjects.

107. Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

108. Sugar adversely affects urinary electrolyte composition.

109. Sugar can slow down the ability of the adrenal glands to function.

110. Sugar has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative diseases.

111.. I.Vs (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to the brain.

112. High sucrose intake could be an important risk factor in lung cancer.

113. Sugar increases the risk of polio.

114. High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures.

115. Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people.

116. In Intensive Care Units, limiting sugar saves lives.

117. Sugar may induce cell death.

118. Sugar can increase the amount of food that you eat.

119. In juvenile rehabilitation camps, when children were put on a low sugar diet, there was a 44% drop in antisocial behavior.

120. Sugar can lead to prostrate cancer.

121. Sugar dehydrates newborns.

122. Sugar increases the estradiol in young men.

123. Sugar can cause low birth weight babies.

124. Greater consumption of refined sugar is associated with a worse outcome of schizophrenia

125. Sugar can raise homocysteine levels in the blood stream.

126. Sweet food items increase the risk of breast cancer.

127. Sugar is a risk factor in cancer of the small intestine.

128. Sugar may cause laryngeal cancer.

129. Sugar induces salt and water retention.

130. Sugar may contribute to mild memory loss.

131. As sugar increases in the diet of 10 years olds, there is a linear decrease in the intake of many essential nutrients.

132. Sugar can increase the total amount of food consumed.

133. Exposing a newborn to sugar results in a heightened preference for sucrose relative to water at 6 months and 2 years of age.

134. Sugar causes constipation.

135. Sugar causes varicous veins.

136. Sugar can cause brain decay in prediabetic and diabetic women.

137. Sugar can increase the risk of stomach cancer.

138. Sugar can cause metabolic syndrome.

139. Sugar ingestion by pregnant women increases neural tube defects in embryos.

140. Sugar can be a factor in asthma.

141. The higher the sugar consumption the more chances of getting irritable bowel syndrome.

142. Sugar could affect central reward systems.

143. Sugar can cause cancer of the rectum.

144. Sugar can cause endometrial cancer.

145. Sugar can cause renal (kidney) cell carcinoma.

146. Sugar can cause liver tumors.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Holy crap KLH! Gonna read all that in just a minute!

Wanted to thank GIRONDET for something she wrote in the Maintain Lane thread (I thought maybe some answers lied in there!):

"I was a former binge eater, so even though I feel great physically and don't crave carbs like I used to, at times even tho' I'm not hungry I just want to munch to soothe myself. The urge goes away if I give it a little time and get busy doing something, but it's still hard."

Food for thought for me. I always expect those darn cravings to EVENTUALLY go away! But maybe they don't completely....I think I'll try to adapt her thinking to "if you REALLY are craving sweets get on the treadmill for 20 minutes!" LOL!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #16

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I was only suggesting that the OP might find it helpful to look at things the same way an addict looks at the choices he needs to make or not make. I don't view sugar or carbs in general as poison, or as something that everybody in the world cannot tolerate. Just to be clear about that.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Hmmmm - in regards to #1 and 92 - I SHOULD KNOW THIS!

I'm almost a 10 year lung cancer survivor - did all the chemo and radiation and was in Hospice expected to die, BUT I DIDN'T! (See what I mean about tell me I can't do somethin' and I'll prove ya wrong? LOL!)

But what I remember in reading that is that one of the cancer screening tests they did was to inject you with some sort of sugar substance - and the areas that lit up on the scan, where the sugar was attracted, were the cancerous spots! That's GROSS!

Unfortunately, I think all of that experience leads to my falling off the wagon and binging....with thoughts of "I didn't go thru all that to live a life of deprivation".... but I also know that living life unhappy with yourself is it's own kind of deprivation. Wow - that was deep!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
It's hard. It's hard to change the way you have eaten your entire life in a culture where eating that way is the norm. Most people would need a huge wake-up call or paradigm shift to renounce what they've done their entire lives.
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #19
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
and then think "oh, I can cheat this one time with this pizza or cake or cookies, or whatever" and it turns in to a month long pizza/cake/cookie binge!!!!!

Sandy
Look for low carb legal sweets and treats and you'll never roam again! So many never realize you can enjoy everything from stuffed crust pizzas (recipe) to decadent cheesecakes (recipe) to bread sticks (recipe) to calzones (recipe) to lasagna (recipe), all while losing weight and feeling amazing!

Comfort foods on LC are not out of reach! Just make sure they fit into your weight loss plan, and stick to the low carb versions!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #20
KLH
Junior LCF Member

It also comes down to instant gratification vs. hard work leading eventually to something that will bring satisfaction later including constant maintenance...wow, that was a run-on if I ever saw one.

I've lost a lot of weight in the past too and after the initial yahoos and wolf whistles, people think of you just as you and life goes on. You have to decide if the food or the leaner, healthier body, over time, is more important.

Anyway, I think about what I really want. Do I really want that instant gratification now or do I really want that lean, hard body later...

Later WILL come eventually but yeah, it takes a lot of work and effort and patience. The easy road is just eating and putting things off...I know, I'm the Queen of Procrastination when it comes to saying good-bye to the food that is making me ill and fat.

What is your rock bottom?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mngirl
Stats: 185/174/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 5/25/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Look for low carb legal sweets and treats and you'll never roam again! So many never realize you can enjoy everything from stuffed crust pizzas (recipe) to decadent cheesecakes (recipe) to bread sticks (recipe) to calzones (recipe) to lasagna (recipe), all while losing weight and feeling amazing!

Comfort foods on LC are not out of reach! Just make sure they fit into your weight loss plan, and stick to the low carb versions!
/\/\/\ This! I've made amazing LC pizza that tastes just like the real thing. Can't comment on the sweets, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but there are TONS of LC sweet recipes on here. I make coconut bark which is sweet, and a little of that is all I need.
mngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post

I think everyone has such good advice and information and as usual our Fawn busts it out! But for me as a binge eater, this is so true. I had to finally face facts for me. That as a person with bed, I can't restrict myself too much. If I do, I can guarantee at my lowest mental/emotional point, I will lose all sanity and control and start stuffing food (any food lc or not) into my mouth. So for me personally, it takes me resolving in my mind with my whole self that I'm not on a diet. That I'm not restricting my food that I can eat whatever I want to eat. If it's pizza, I could go seek out a great lc pizza, candy or chocolate, the same...etc.

The reality is though that even though I know I can do any of those things...I don't. I may make an involved and more rich meal one meal a week and that may sometimes be for breakfast or sometimes it is for dinner. But then the rest of the meals and rest of the week is pretty filled with tons of veggies and meat and great fats. I say that because I tried to limit my veggies like a parsimonious polecat. But dang! I can't. So instead, I make sure I have a "FULL" plate since I like a big portion and I fill it up! Sometimes it's two cooked veg like broccoli and spinach, sometimes it's kale and green beans, sometimes it's zucchini and chard, and sometimes I add sliced tomatoes or salad with tons of chopped veg and avocado. It's probably 15-20g of carbs in the one meal (without netting for fiber) but that's ok! So far it isn't spiking my blood sugar that I'm seeing and so it's working for me.

The point is that you have to get honest and open with yourself and that takes time, to know what your personal perscription to success is going to be. But I think knowing that there isn't anything non low carb under the sun
that doesn't have a reasonable facsimile in the low carb world helps and what you are doing to your body by staying away from products and nonsense will benefit you longterm (that means even if you have an artificial sweetener or an isolated whey or some other "fake" lc product - as long as you don't make that a mainstream, every meal event and it's sure better than chowing on a Bic Mac Combo Meal - supersized, right?...

and hope you figure it out!!!!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13

Last edited by pooticus; 08-18-2010 at 02:09 PM..
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tim0129
Stats: 278/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2010
Personally, my main motivator for sticking to this low-carb diet is seeing the results and hearing people say that I've been losing weight. Whenever I start craving carbs I think to myself, "If I cheat now, all my hard work will be for nothing."

I've also heard (from a different diet) that, when you start to have a craving, try drinking a water and doing some light exercise while listening to music. The latter does wonders for me.
Tim0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 AM   #24

Gallery: Ground
Stats: 322/198/185
WOE: Paleo with Neolithic elements!
Start Date: 2007
I suddenly feel very fortunate that I have almost no interest in sweet foods, I virtualy never get an urge to eat chocolate or sweets and if I was in a restaurant only having two courses it'd be an appetiser and entree, desserts just don't interest me.

My pig out meals tend to involve cheese, salt and fat though my old habit used to be making some of the most packed funky sandwiches I could...usually involving massive bits of bread sliced or filled creatively. Those I sort of miss a bit but like everyone else said, good results keep you pretty focused.
Ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat819 View Post
It's hard. It's hard to change the way you have eaten your entire life in a culture where eating that way is the norm. Most people would need a huge wake-up call or paradigm shift to renounce what they've done their entire lives.
This is the answer^^^ "Why is it hard?". Because it's hard.

Start with the fact that carb addiction is real, add in that most people won't admit it's real and will even try to convince you that you "need" amounts of carbs that literally equate to recreational drug use - then throw in a media/industry/governmental 24hr/day propaganda industry aimed at coercing you to zone out on cheap, easy carbs.... It's just hard.

Feed your cravings fat, turn off the TV, read and post often. Establish yourself in a culture that supports your decisions rather than let the SAD culture run your life. We are tribal animals, we desperately need to fit in with our tribe so choose a tribe that's going your way.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #26
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post

Start with the fact that carb addiction is real, add in that most people won't admit it's real and will even try to convince you that you "need" amounts of carbs that literally equate to recreational drug use - then throw in a media/industry/governmental 24hr/day propaganda industry aimed at coercing you to zone out on cheap, easy carbs.... It's just hard.

Feed your cravings fat, turn off the TV, read and post often. Establish yourself in a culture that supports your decisions rather than let the SAD culture run your life. We are tribal animals, we desperately need to fit in with our tribe so choose a tribe that's going your way.
^^Very well said! I didn't set out to have a paradigm shift, but after reading and so much great discussion right here on LCF, I came to that. There is a mountain of evidence available and if you ask, there are lots of very knowledgeable people here who can point you in the right direction.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #27
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post

Oh wow! Really great post!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Off My Duff
Stats: 297/277/197
This is a great thread!

I'm having the same problem as the OP, so I'm subscribing so I can read the list of why not to eat sugar whenever I need it. It's very sobering.

Good luck to the OP on being able to stick with a plan!
Off My Duff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #29

Gallery: fawn
While it might be hard to make necessary change, it's even harder to be ill.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #30

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
You really need to purge all foods in your house that may be a temptation for you to eat.

You also need to tell all around you to support you. My husband is my best ally.

Good luck!
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote