Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
So how come Dr. Weil is anti coconut oil?

OK, so I started coconut oil regimin and my health-concious friend told me that it can higher your cholestral level and not to take it. And of course she sent me an article by this doctor who promotes a natural healthy lifestyle Dr. Weil. He goes on to say that it does mimimal in weight loss. Which is not why I want to take it anyway...it has a lot of other properties I know.

So for those of you who have taken coconut oil for more than 6 months have you seen a rise in cholestral levels? This is of a concern to me since it runs in the family and at this moment my levels are all normal.

Here is Dr. Weil's article on Coconut Oil

http://http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA316479

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have taken coconut oil for years. My DD is now 9 and I have taken it at least that long. I don't have any cholesterol problems whatsoever. But my cholesterol has always been A-OK. I think that Bruce Fife (THE best researcher on coconut oil in my opinion) states that the reason all those studies show that coconut oil is bad for you is they are using the "bad" kind. By bad I mean they are taking hydrogenated coconut oil, (one that is made in a lab) not the pure virgin kind I use every day. HTH!!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
So how come Dr. Weil is anti coconut oil?
A fan - but - I can't speak for Dr.Weil.

Not everyone views it as a 'miracle' oil.
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #4

Oh I don't think its a miracle oil just a tool for healthy living. It would be wonderful if it promotes weight loss but I particularly like the anti-fungal and the fact that it can aid in fighting some bad germs like Strep.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonne326 View Post
Oh I don't think its a miracle oil just a tool for healthy living. It would be wonderful if it promotes weight loss but I particularly like the anti-fungal and the fact that it can aid in fighting some bad germs like Strep.
I first started taking it while I was a pre-school teacher many years ago. It kept me from getting every little cold my little ones were getting. And trust me everything goes through pre-schools!! I was wiping butts and noses all day long ( I was the teacher in the one year old class and we changed a lot of diapers!!) and still got none of their sickness. I think it was the coconut oil keeping me healthy, because I sure wasn't doing anything else different!!
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #6

Dawnyama - how much do you take per day-on average?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #7

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Exactly and great description. No food is a "miracle" it is only a component of benefits that contribute to elevated health.

Your link didn't work for me but I found this.

What I find interesting is, Weil points out all of the benefits such as MCT's, Lauric and Caprylic acids, etc. yet doesn't promote eating it. There are too many studies on this fat to have his head in the sand as he does.

His stance has changed recently on saturates. I'm wondering if he hasn't updated his web site to reflect such.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Dawnyama - how much do you take per day-on average?
I was taking 4 TBL, but now am down to 2. I am working my way back up. I am thinking now I could do 3!! I lost a lot of weight and don't feel the need for 4 TBL anymore. Because it gets absorbed through the skin I am probably getting in at least 3 right now. I put it all over my body after my shower. I love it!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I haven't gotten my cholesterol rechecked yet since I started LC. Plan to at the end of September. I've been taking VCO all the way. I can't speak on VCO and if it helps to lose weight. It does help with my appetite, but thats not even why I take it every day. I'm not one that usually believes in micracle cures, but I know this. I have HSV1 and like clockwork for years I had a break out every month. Not since I started doing VCO. I don't think its a coincidence. Maybe my change of eating habits has something to do with it, but I am convinced from all that I've read that taking VCO and me no longer having outbreaks is no coincidence.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Mine isn't a popular opinion here but it addresses your concern.

Coconut oil was so highly touted here that, like you, I wanted to use it for general good health. I'm hypothyroid, and I have blood tests done every 4 months, including a lipid panel.

I began using VCO right after one of my check ups, and I think I had about 3T a day, mainly substituting it for my EVOO in cooking, but sometimes making 'bark' with it--delicious.

Four months later, my endo commented that my LDL (that had been stable for a while) was up 50 points, and he asked whether I had made any dietary changes in recent months. I thought immediately of the CO and told him about it. He advised me to stop using it because anything that could so drastically elevate my LDL wasn't a good thing for me.

I stopped, and at my next check up 4 months after that, my LDL had dropped exactly 50 points--the elimination of the CO was the only change I'd made.

I may be a unique case, but I thought I'd share this with you since you asked.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

Coconut oil was so highly touted here that, like you, I wanted to use it for general good health. I'm hypothyroid, and I have blood tests done every 4 months, including a lipid panel.

I began using VCO right after one of my check ups, and I think I had about 3T a day, mainly substituting it for my EVOO in cooking, but sometimes making 'bark' with it--delicious.

Four months later, my endo commented that my LDL (that had been stable for a while) was up 50 points, and he asked whether I had made any dietary changes in recent months. I thought immediately of the CO and told him about it. He advised me to stop using it because anything that could so drastically elevate my LDL wasn't a good thing for me.

I stopped, and at my next check up 4 months after that, my LDL had dropped exactly 50 points--the elimination of the CO was the only change I'd made.

Not a unique case other folks on the board in the past had the same problems. I found it didn't do much for me , but its good for frying at a higher temp.
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I was taking 4 TBL, but now am down to 2. I am working my way back up. I am thinking now I could do 3!! I lost a lot of weight and don't feel the need for 4 TBL anymore. Because it gets absorbed through the skin I am probably getting in at least 3 right now. I put it all over my body after my shower. I love it!!!

what brand do you buy?
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioluvr View Post
what brand do you buy?
I buy it by the gallon from Coast Coconut. I've also seen it in the Hispanic grocery store.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #14

Well, I am going for a blood workup in November and if it has risen since April when I had the last ones I will stop. I guess I will just have to wait and see. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:

Unpopular or not, I personally appreciate hearing your experience. I will keep this in mind when I have my blood work done next.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #16

Gallery: fawn
A quote from Mary Enig on the effects of coconut oil on serum cholesterol

Quote:
Enig reported in her article that the effects of coconut oil on persons with low cholesterol levels was the opposite of persons with high cholesterol levels. Of persons with low total cholesterol counts, she wrote that "there may be a rising of serum cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and especially HDL cholesterol." In persons with high cholesterol levels, "there is lowering of total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol." The studies she cited showed that in both groups the LDL/HDL ratio moved in a favorable direction
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
Senior LCF member

Regardless of what Mary Enig writes, that was not true for me. My LDL was already high, and the CO elevated it.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:

But there are two different types of LDL, the small dangerous kind (type B) and the big, fluffy kind that doesn't to anything bad (type A).

Maybe your fluffy LDL was raised? I wonder if the dr. checked.

Dr. Eades says: "There is no question that if fat in the diet decreases LDL cholesterol falls. In fact, that is the only positive thing that proponents of the low-fat diet can claim. (And it’s only positive if one buys into the lipid hypothesis–otherwise it’s meaningless.) Unfortunately, when LDL cholesterol levels fall as a result of a low-fat diet, the LDL cholesterol particles convert from being the large type A particles to the small, dense type B particles, which are thought (by those believing in the lipid hypothesis) to be much more atherogenic. So the net effect of this fall in LDL levels as a function of a low-fat diet is meaningless because lower levels of more atherogenic particles nets out to not much change in risk."

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Quote:
Regardless of what Mary Enig writes, that was not true for me. My LDL was already high, and the CO elevated it.
You are probably right about your own situation, but I feel compelled to point out that with only one test on only one person without rigorous journaling, I would be hesitant to make any declarative pronouncements or suggest any changes for anyone else.

I know too many cases of people getting cholesterol tests one day and it being bad and testing again the next day and finding it to be really good. A friend of mine recently had a test done, her doctor recommended drugs, but it turned out that they didn't even know that she had not been fasting... the test was completely invalid.

I'll go with the preponderance of evidence and keep using my VCO.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioluvr View Post
what brand do you buy?
Tropical Traditions. I have to have the expellor pressed as well as the virgin one. My family hates the taste of coconut anything, therefore I buy the gallon jugs of the expeller pressed. Even though the virgin is only used by me, I order by the 2 gallons all the time!!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
Senior LCF member

I'm not trying to convert anyone! I am well aware of the fact that my experience may not apply to anyone else, and I think I implied that in my post. The OP asked for people's experiences relative to CO and cholesterol, and that's what I shared.

I'm tired of being criticized if I express an opinion that's counter to the CW on this board.

Last edited by Leo41; 08-18-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #22

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
You are probably right about your own situation, but I feel compelled to point out that with only one test on only one person without rigorous journaling, I would be hesitant to make any declarative pronouncements or suggest any changes for anyone else.

I know too many cases of people getting cholesterol tests one day and it being bad and testing again the next day and finding it to be really good. A friend of mine recently had a test done, her doctor recommended drugs, but it turned out that they didn't even know that she had not been fasting... the test was completely invalid.

I'll go with the preponderance of evidence and keep using my VCO.

She stated she gets tested every 4 months and that this is only her experience. I personally don't ingest much co oil either-I prefer butter & EVOO but that's just me.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #23

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
That was written in 2003, updated in 2005. Does he still feel this way in light of more recent research?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
There are too many studies on this fat to have his head in the sand as he does.
His stance has changed recently on saturates. I'm wondering if he hasn't updated his web site to reflect such.
Talking about studies, I'm looking for some recent western INDEPENDENT studies on CO, that don't involve the coconut companies, or Enig?
Everytime I google it I keep getting the CO companies. Aware of any?
Thank you kindly
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #25

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeup1 View Post
Talking about studies, I'm looking for some recent western INDEPENDENT studies on CO, that don't involve the coconut companies, or Enig?
Everytime I google it I keep getting the CO companies. Aware of any?
Thank you kindly

Try PubMed.

PubMed home
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Try PubMed.

PubMed home