Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
What is the best low carb protein bar to use while on the low carb eating plan?

I tried the Oh Yeah bars and they are good but I was wondering were there any other low carb protein bars that taste as good or better than these!
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
This doesn't specifically address your question, but in my opinion, the 'best' protein bar is NONE. Eating good quality protein--real food--is the best thing to do for yourself. All those bars are just chemical soup, IMO.

They also just keep alive a person's taste for candy bars and other sugary treats.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: D0ughB0y
WOE: low carb -DoughKins
I agree, none.

Replacing the old, processed junk food with new, processed junk food isn't the "best" of anything. Heck, it isn't even good. Cut the junk out and teach yourself to enjoy whole, unprocessed, well seasoned, healthy food.... and your body will thank you for it.
D0ughB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 6/30/14...164.4/161.9/125
WOE: LC paleo/primal
Ya know... this person didn't ask whether they should have protein bars or not...they asked which ones are better! For God sakes, I'm so sick of everyone telling people what to do when all they asked for was an opinion on taste!
Anyway, my opinion is that the Atkins bars are the best I've tried. And yes, it's ok to eat them.
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #5

Gallery: flatferenghi
i only have had the ATKINS ADVANTAGE BARS

I have enjoyed them all. My supermarket now only offers 2 or 3. I freeze them so that they last me a few seconds longer. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbie View Post
I tried the Oh Yeah bars and they are good but I was wondering were there any other low carb protein bars that taste as good or better than these!
Netrition carries a large assortment of low carb protein bars. Go to Low Carbohydrate > Bars to see the complete list. On the right hand side, you will see the Best Sellers. Each product page has customer reviews ... simply scroll down each page below the pricing information. I hope that helps.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbie View Post
Hi lcarbie…
I love the Cocolite Triple Chocolate bars.

I suppose the best one is the one that tastes best to you and you can afford.

I usually stock some Atkin's, and some others, and it's always based for me on taste and on net carbs (and yes I subtract all sugar alcohols).

No ill effects, no irritability of the bowel issues, and no apparent halts to my ability to lose.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
Myoplex has a lc bar that I like. They have several carb control bars but there are only two that I like. They are wider than an Atkins bar and you can see chocolate chips on the tops and they have drizzles of chocolate (or peanut butter) on them. I didn't like the thinner, narrower, smooth coated bars. Sorry I don't have the specific name. I have only found them at CVS. They have high protein bars that do have sugar so check the labels. I thought they tasted good and were filling. Very helpful when needing a quick bite or felling I'm about to cave in for a candy bar. No noticeable side affects from sugar alcohols like I sometimes get from sf candy. They cost around $2.00 each. HTH
oreo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #9

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi lcarbie…

I suppose the best one is the one that tastes best to you and you can afford.

I totally agree with this!!!! We all have different tastes and preferences. What I like may not be necessarily what you like!! I have had some great ones and not so great ones!! The Atkins bars are really good--the caramel peanutty one as well as all the chocolate ones. I don't even remember the names of the ones I tried but they were all good! But when I have the time to make some on my own, I really like these:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...n-squares.html

And they are portable!!! I actually took these to the beach with me last week while we stayed the week on vacation. I love these little chocolate gems!!! Very tasty indeed!!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Andrea78
WOE: low carb
The only low carb protein bars I will touch are the Atkins ones, I think they are very good! So far I haven't found another one that is better than Atkins brand. I carry them in my purse for when I go places and there is no legal food to eat....I will eat them as a snack once in a while when I get bored with my food choices. I remember to count them in my carb and calorie intake for the day and I am fine.
Andrea78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I think it depends on your low-carb eating plan. I eat the SOuth Beach bars with my mid-morning coffee, and the protein and fiber get me through until lunch. For some plans, the carbs in South Beach bars would be too much.

I'm thinking of getting out my food dehydrator and making up a batch of pemmican. That would definitely satisfy my appetite, and be tasty, and portable.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tttmom View Post
...I'm so sick of everyone telling people what to do when all they asked for was an opinion on taste!
Hi Vicki…

I agree with you.

We are all adults here who know how to make choices, and don't need nutrition police issuing warnings and handing out tickets.

Not sure it does much good to complain, but I do want to agree with you publicly...

Personally I've had my fill of studies, reports, suspicions, allegations, and self-proclaimed experts...

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
I don't know which one is the best one, but I would advise EVERYONE to steer clear of any protein bar that uses glycerin as a sugar alcohol, because the spikes in blood sugar with glycerin are comparable to actual sucrose. Diabetics have had dangerous blood sugar spikes consuming these products.

Someone told me that Premier Nutrition's protein bars are great but the primary sweetener in them is glycerin, so I will not be trying them, personally.

Of the ones I've looked at, only the Atkins ones have been very low in net carbs and even some of them (e.g., Dark Chocolate Indulgence) are somewhat higher (4g per serving) than I would be comfortable with, personally.

I tried the Think Thin bar and it was so horrible that I could barely gag one bite of it down. Chew up a handful of One A Day vitamins with some cocoa powder and sucralose and it would taste about the same.

A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light; but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. -- Max Planck
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Quote:
Hi Vicki…

I agree with you.

We are all adults here who know how to make choices, and don't need nutrition police issuing warnings and handing out tickets.

Not sure it does much good to complain, but I do want to agree with you publicly...

Personally I've had my fill of studies, reports, suspicions, allegations, and self-proclaimed experts...

Way to stand up for this, Larry & Vicki. I agree also.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
This doesn't specifically address your question, but in my opinion, the 'best' protein bar is NONE. Eating good quality protein--real food--is the best thing to do for yourself. All those bars are just chemical soup, IMO.

They also just keep alive a person's taste for candy bars and other sugary treats.
Agree. But, I guess it also depends on whether you are doing this just for weight loss or for health also.

Ever since I cut out 99 percent of AS I no longer crave sweets. I think the bars can be dangerous- how many times does someone write that they ate the whole box at once?
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IdahoAngel
Start Date: March 2003
Hi lowcarbie....I don't buy protein bars but I do make them for my DH...protein powder, cocoa, cream, nuts, coconut, and a few other ingredients. I started with a recipe I found on here and go from there. They're the best I've ever tasted and I can control what goes into them. Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll send it to you. Good luck finding ones that you like the taste of!
IdahoAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Synesthetic
WOE: High Raw
Setting aside the should you or shouldn't you argument (I'm of the mind that real food is always better, but to each his own -- what you eat is your business):

The problem I have with these bars is that, frankly, they're vile. They taste nothing like "chocolate" or whatever other intended flavor. They have a weird aftertaste, and they sit like a rock in your stomach. They're just gross. And I have tried a bunch of them in the past because I *wanted* them to be good.

Also I agree that they increase cravings for sweets - at least they do for me. Your brain says, "hey that wasn't anything like a chocolate bar. I need to remedy this situation immediately!"
Synesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't eat protein bars often but I do LOVE Power Crunch bars , in vanilla and peanut butter. OMG they are awesome, like a candy bar with protein 5 grams sugars and some protein number i forget. Love'em!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Ahhh I found them, here are the ones I like: Atkins Advantage Bars

My fav is the chocolate peanut butter Sure of course its not the same as the real thing, but close enough for me! They actually keep me from grabbing the real thing, but to each his own
Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
I don't eat protein bars often but I do LOVE Power Crunch bars , in vanilla and peanut butter. OMG they are awesome, like a candy bar with protein 5 grams sugars and some protein number i forget. Love'em!

Oooh, I haven't tried these before! Cool thanks for sharing. I know what I'm ordering next month, lol
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea78 View Post
Oooh, I haven't tried these before! Cool thanks for sharing. I know what I'm ordering next month, lol
yw! I found these by accident in protein bar section of grocery store. I was looking for a low sugar protein bar that doesnt' have added sugar alchohols. I have checked and don't see any listed LOL lemme know if you see otherwise. They are coated in white 'chocolate" and oh my, I can only buy one at a time is all I'm saying
Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Hi Vicki…

I agree with you.

I also agree with Vicki. The OP just wants to know what bars are good or bad taste wise and nothing more was ask in their post.

The Atkins candy bars are best tasting, they have one's that taste like a snickers, payday and mounds bar.

If what you want is a protein meal type of Atkins bar, then the chocolate peanut butter is best imo. Oh yeah! bars are my second choice.

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sallyk
Stats: Trying to get back on the wagon
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-starting again.
Ok....you can eat Atkins Advantage Bars and still lose weight. Not as good for you then eating eggs, but sometimes you need a quick, simple bar. I used to eat them, if I just didn't have time to peel a couple of eggs. You just have to be careful. How someone could eat a whole box, I think I would barf.

So go have your bar and enjoy! Just try to not eat them for too many meal replacements. Unless you are a control freak, it is ok to eat processed food, but we are all trying to get healthier, so I, personally, am trying to limit them and hope you will too.

Now with all that said......I like Atkins Peanut Butter Bars....I don't have any, but I am pretty sure they are called Atkins Advantage Bars. In fact, they are the only ones I like. All the others, to me, taste weird or just plain gross. I tried their brownies once and they were good. In the past I used to take one of the candy bars to the theater, so I would not go straight to the popcorn line!

Ps....both my kids like the peanut butter bars too....which then I run out and they cost a fortune when we are all eating them.

Last edited by sallyk; 08-17-2010 at 02:50 PM..
sallyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #24
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I buy the atkins sweet and salty and the atkins chocolate coconut ones and cut them into 6 pieces and freeze them!
That way when I want a nibble of something sweet, I can grab a piece and enjoy it without being tempted to eat the whole bar.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #25

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I buy the atkins sweet and salty and the atkins chocolate coconut ones and cut them into 6 pieces and freeze them!
That way when I want a nibble of something sweet, I can grab a piece and enjoy it without being tempted to eat the whole bar.

This is a great idea. One bar easily becomes a whole box for me over the course of a day so I don't buy them.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dottie, that's a great idea.

I forgot to add regarding Power Crunch bars (sold here by Netrition too) are only $1.39 at my local store. and I looked up the numbers: 10 carbs per bar (quite high I know but they are good) and 14 grams protein and 5 sugars and 195 calories, for Vanilla at least. They have splenda as a AS I guess, but that doesnt' bother my tummy.

Ingredients: Proto Whey Protein Blend [Proto Whey (Micro Peptides From Extreme Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Fraction (55% Di & Tri Peptides), Maltodextrin, L-gLutamine, Softpsil (Micronized Psyllium Fiber), Mcts (Medium Chain Triglycerides), Sucralose), Milk Protein Isolate], Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Palm Kernel Oil, Dextrose, Nonfat Milk Powder, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Sucralose, Baking Soda, Salt, Soy Lecithin.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #27
ave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ave
Stats: 268/212/130
WOE: general low carb
Start Date: June 1st, 2010
I like the Atkins Advantage chocolate crunch ones. The coconut endulge (kind of a fake mounds bar) were pretty good too.

I appreciate the sentiment that many people seem to share that any kind of processed food is a bad choice, but for some people they are the lesser of two evils. Given a morning where I just don't have time to cook or sit down and eat, is it better to have a low-carb bar that I can eat in the car on the way to work or swing by starbucks and pick up a cinnamon roll with my coffee?
ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Choices are that of each person. It was negative to say that it was for the company to make money....which is why all foods are at the grocery store....including cow meat. None is a choice, but I am sure the op knew that, but was looking for an alternative to meat and eggs.

None is my choice, but I would want to know which ones are best, for those days I just need something different. They are expensive and so many choices...so it is good to get other opinions.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave View Post
I appreciate the sentiment that many people seem to share that any kind of processed food is a bad choice, but for some people they are the lesser of two evils. Given a morning where I just don't have time to cook or sit down and eat, is it better to have a low-carb bar that I can eat in the car on the way to work or swing by starbucks and pick up a cinnamon roll with my coffee?
Nicely put.....exactly!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BirdDancer
Stats: 192/159/149
WOE: Dietitian created
Start Date: July 2010
Firstly, I've found the Atkins bars to be the lowest in net carbs of the only 2 "carb concious" bar brands I can find. I like the wide range of choices and think they taste pretty good, as well. I limit my consumption to a few times a week and mostly eat them around 11 am since that is when I get very hungry. It prevents me from making stupid choices at lunch.

I'll admit that I treat myself to a sweet spot every day of the week, so I don't really agree with the idea that candy or sweets are a BAD thing. I ate them when chunky, will eat them while dieting, and will eat them when I'm done the diet -- just in moderation and with plenty of exercise to burn them off
BirdDancer is offline   Reply With Quote